Hyundai to finally launch Genesis as standalone brand

• Thread starter Anthony
  • 128 comments
Just like the Citroen looking suv, that Shootingbrake reminds my of the Renault Alpine. Picking some French cues isn’t bad. Very cool.
It's a great way to add uniqueness to the car. For many of us, French cars basically don't exist outside of Europe so their weird design cues have never been seen before. Genesis using those instantly gives them odd and interesting aspects that no other car has, especially the boring market here in North America.

Hmm, that E-G80(G80E?). Seems like it’s going to be a problem for other makes, but in this SUV heavy market, wonder who will move back to a large sedan.

Last edited:
I saw a GV70 the other day and it was stunning. I don't think I've been caught off guard by how perfect an SUV looks in person otherwise since the original X5.
The GV80 is quite excellent as well. There is a green one roaming around near me and it's a masterpiece. The 70 is a really hunkered down sporty looking thing and I'd love to have one.

I saw a GV70 the other day and it was stunning. I don't think I've been caught off guard by how perfect an SUV looks in person otherwise since the original X5.
Though, like the GV80, it’s a poor seller. My dad saw one at a fancy restaurant near our house in a sea of BMW and Mercedes CUVs and remarked on how much better the GV70 looks. I asked him if he’d consider getting one (he will soon be in the market for that type of vehicle) and he said he couldn’t be caught dead in a Korean car. He even thought it was just a Hyundai. Attitudes like these amongst the masses are the reason why Audi and Lexus can sell nearly 100k Q5s or RXs a year but Genesis can barely move out a tenth that many GV70s and 80s.

Last edited:
Though, like the GV80, it’s a poor seller. My dad saw one at a fancy restaurant near our house in a sea of BMW and Mercedes CUVs and remarked on how much better the GV70 looks. I asked him if he’d consider getting one (he will soon be in the market for that type of vehicle) and he said he couldn’t be caught dead in a Korean car. He even thought it was just a Hyundai. Attitudes like these amongst the masses are the reason why Audi and Lexus can sell nearly 100k Q5s or RXs a year but Genesis can barely move out a tenth that many GV70s and 80s.
It takes time and a generational shift to develop brand images. We all know old people are a near universal drag on society and they've got a terrible habit of teaching their offspring all their bad habits so Merc and BMW et al are riding higher than ever on ridiculously inflated and mostly undeserved brand images. Why you're ragging on Lexus I'm not sure because they sell genuinely good cars and had to fight their own battle with the European brands decades ago. I mean, at the same time Lexus was trying to build its image the Euro brands were selling cars that didn't even have cupholders yet were somehow the wet dream of every boomer who wasn't doing a good enough job of saving for retirement. Now Genesis is in the same spot Lexus was 20+ years ago.

It takes time and a generational shift to develop brand images. We all know old people are a near universal drag on society and they've got a terrible habit of teaching their offspring all their bad habits so Merc and BMW et al are riding higher than ever on ridiculously inflated and mostly undeserved brand images. Why you're ragging on Lexus I'm not sure because they sell genuinely good cars and had to fight their own battle with the European brands decades ago. I mean, at the same time Lexus was trying to build its image the Euro brands were selling cars that didn't even have cupholders yet were somehow the wet dream of every boomer who wasn't doing a good enough job of saving for retirement. Now Genesis is in the same spot Lexus was 20+ years ago.
I'm not ragging on Lexus at all. As you acknowledge, Lexus, like Genesis, started from nothing in terms of reputation (though Japanese cars were never perceived as badly built as Korean ones), but eventually became a sales leader. The RX is a great value, and though it may be stylistically less inspiring than the GV70, it is probably more palatable to the average consumer, likely because there are far more of them around.

Though, the Lexus ES was a strong seller from the beginning and even the LS sold reasonably well. Genesis so far has not had a single strong selling product. That's not to say that Genesis cars are comparatively worse vehicles than the original Lexuses 30+ years ago, but it is a concerning sign.

All Electrified G80 models score a host of complementary services offered by Genesis, including a five-year / unlimited-kilometre warranty, eight-year warranty on the high voltage battery, five years of complimentary servicing and Genesis To You and valet service, 10-year 24/7 roadside assistance and complimentary map updates, and a choice of five-year Chargefox subscription or home AC charger and installation.

2022 Genesis GV70 pricing*:

2.5T (a)$68,500(+$2100)
2.5T AWD (a)$68,786(+$2114)
2.2D AWD (a)$73,200(+$2106)
3.5T Sport AWD (a)$84,600(+$2133)
Electrified AWD (a)$127,800New variant

A pretty good look at the G90 courtesy of throttle house. I have to give Genesis credit for the cohesiveness and refinement of the design of this car. It really is a lovely thing. The thoughtfulness of how the body actually goes together (aka, locations of panel joins, not just the consistency of the panels gaps) is miles ahead of most Mercedes and BMW products being put out right now - including the freaking S class. The hood of the G90 actually extends to the leading edge of the car and there is no awkward "mask"-like front fascia (mentioned at 9:25 in the video). I also appreciate that it doesn't look like the typical design-school schlock that most manufacturers are pumping out these days - I mean where did that back end come from? It looks like something out of late 1970s Detroit and I'm here for it. It's just a fantastically detailed thing, doing its own thing. Keep doing cool things Genesis, the world is better for it.

Last edited:
"Two spoke steering wheel rubs people the wrong way"

Why? For the life of me I can't figure out why people don't like two or four spoke steering wheels. They're the perfect wheel for lazy American cars - we spend 90% of our time cruising down the highway going straight and the perfect spot to place your lazy hand while driving lazily is right there in the middle on the bottom of the rim. Hell it's basically self-centering at that point. Minimal effort involved. I hate three spoke steering wheels because the freeway is not a race track and I am uninterested in 9 and 3. I am interested in being lazy and going as straight as possible. Three spoke steering wheels are dumb.

Last edited:

Why? For the life of me I can't figure out why people don't like two or four spoke steering wheels. They're the perfect wheel for lazy American cars - we spend 90% of our time cruising down the highway going straight and the perfect spot to place your lazy hand while driving lazily is right there in the middle on the bottom of the rim. Hell it's basically self-centering at that point. Minimal effort involved. I hate three spoke steering wheels because the freeway is not a race track and I am uninterested in 9 and 3. I am interested in being lazy and going as straight as possible. Three spoke steering wheels are dumb.
Independence Day Yes GIF by TipsyElves.com

I think people associate 2 spoke steering wheels with 1970s crap and 4 spoke steering wheels with early, ugly airbag steering wheels. Three spokes came out when the suppliers were finally able to reduce the airbag to a reasonable size - so I think for many people, 4 spokes still have an association of "cheap used car" and 2 spokes as "really old". I don't expect those associations to hold now that some manufacturers are experimenting with them in premium products, but people are slow to accept change. I don't really care how many spokes the wheel has as long as the design looks good.

Missed opportunity with swivel buckets. Probably not a big car though.

Edit: Another pic. Looks like it has some space.
1668650315935.png

Last edited:
The cars coming out of South Korea right now are putting the established players to shame. Genesis may be the new kid on the block but they've already established a strong design language that's classy and attractive without being rambunctious. I'm a fan.

Last edited:
It has been confirmed that Genesis is working on a coupe version of the GV80, competing with the X6, GLE Coupe, and Cayenne Coupe.

1674075630260.png

Genesis GV80 Coupe Concept debuts at the NYIAS

Fs0i_vtXsAEce94

Fs0jAGEWIAEu0CB

genesis-gv80-coupe-concept.jpg

Fs0i_XBXoAYz-LN

genesis-gv80-coupe-concept-live-image.jpg

genesis-gv80-coupe-concept-live-image.jpg

"At its inception, the Genesis brand began creating luxury sedans, which evolved into the G70, G80, and G90 models," said Luc Donckerwolke, Hyundai Group chief creative officer. "Over the past seven years, we have added more lifestyle-oriented models to the portfolio, such as our GV80 and GV70 SUVs. Now we are pushing the envelope with more emotional cars that elevate Genesis’ performance and dynamic attributes."

Last edited:
I find it funny that while the German equivalents are on their second or third generation of SUV coupes and still look rather awkward, Genesis just shows up and nails the proportions on its first attempt. :P

I find it funny that while the German equivalents are on their second or third generation of SUV coupes and still look rather awkward, Genesis just shows up and nails the proportions on its first attempt. :P
They've got a fundamentally different design language going on. The German brands still think that rakish shoulder lines are sporty and then slap them on everything, including cars that aren't remotely sporty. Genesis has adopted the opposite. They've gone for the Rolls Royce boat-like shoulder line that drops toward the rear rather than rises. It's not athletic but it is a powerful and luxurious look and it makes the car look longer than it is. It also means the rear fascia is not six feet up in the air like on the Merc and BMW, looking like a baseball helmet.

Compare:

2023-bmw-x6-m-side-view-carbuzz-633298-1600.jpg

merced67.jpg

Fs0i_vtXsAEce94

More comparison:

2023-Genesis-G90-3.5T-E-SC-AWD-side-view-1.jpg

1399171.jpg

2023-mercedes-benz-s-class-sedan-side-view-carbuzz-1014984-1600.jpg

*Note the fact that the Merc photographer has subconsciously shot the photo at an angle to visually straight out the shoulder line of the car. This happens all the time with raked cars and people don't realize they're doing it.

The reason I like what Genesis is doing isn't because "the cars look nice" it's because they have a fundamentally different idea of what a car should be than the German brands. All the Germans are still obsessed with sport and think everything needs to be aggressive and that it has to be raked for speeeed and look like its moving when it's sitting still. No. I don't want that. I want a fat, lazy, powerful, imposing luxury car that does nothing quickly. I don't even want it to look quick, I want it to look rich. Rolls Royce and Genesis do that. Mercedes does not.

Edit: I haven't had my caffeine yet, half this post didn't make any sense lol.

Last edited:
I hate this trend BMW started of naming everything with a sloping roofline a coupe. Coupes have 2 doors, damnit.

The reason I like what Genesis is doing isn't because "the cars look nice" it's because they have a fundamentally different idea of what a car should be than the German brands. All the Germans are still obsessed with sport and think everything needs to be aggressive and that it has to be raked for speeeed and look like its moving when it's sitting still. No. I don't want that. I want a fat, lazy, powerful, imposing luxury car that does nothing quickly. I don't even want it to look quick, I want it to look rich. Rolls Royce and Genesis do that. Mercedes does not.

Edit: I haven't had my caffeine yet, half this post didn't make any sense lol.
The GV80 Coupe looks more sporty than the two Germans pictured, to me. It looks far better because they actually cared about proportion, which I don't believe the case with the BMW and Mercedes - because both of those companies have cynically gutted their design integrity and adopted a "they'll buy anything with our badge approach". Audi "coupe" SUVs look far better than their BMW & Mercedes counterparts because VAG still cares about design.

The GV80 Coupe looks more sporty than the two Germans pictured, to me. It looks far better because they actually cared about proportion, which I don't believe the case with the BMW and Mercedes - because both of those companies have cynically gutted their design integrity and adopted a "they'll buy anything with our badge approach". Audi "coupe" SUVs look far better than their BMW & Mercedes counterparts because VAG still cares about design.
I guess we need to define "sporty" lol. I agree the Genesis looks more powerful than the Germans. The Germans remind me of energetic little yappy dogs that are trying to be tough. The Genesis looks far more mature, perhaps like a strong cat rather than an angry ratdog.

But I wouldn't go all in on VAG "coupes". Good news is they aren't marketing the Q5 Sportback as a "coupe", but it's also the only one they make that is similar to the bigger German vehicles. Their other sporty SUVs simply have rakish roofs but aren't close to being fastbacks.

Are we counting the E-Trons? Because EVs are almost always going to have a coupe-like roof, that's just the nature of the aero. Some companies will be better than others for sure, like this Genesis which has an excellent EV kammback. While the GV60 has a nicer overall design than the Audi E-Trons or other EV eggs, it's still an egg.

Audi%20Q5%20Sportback%20SUV.jpg

That thing is much more subtle than the other two but I still wouldn't own one.

Last edited:
To be clear, I despise any SUV that doesn't have a proper wagon type ass. Its as conceptually flawed and as counterintuitive as a convertible SUV. Every time I see an AMG GLE Coupe I get a little angry.

I’m just quoting this post to say that this car is U.G.L.Y. It’s like someone took a picture of a car on MS word and scaled it vertically. Awful.

The Genesis on the other hand, is quite handsome for an SUV. I’m enjoying the originality some of these off-shoot luxury brands have added to the market.

I felt notably disappointed by the EV version of the G80 when I saw it at the NYIAS yesterday. It didn't even have 300 miles of range, whereas the RAM 1500 REV that was there was said to have 500, and I'm not even into trucks. (That said, the G80 EV still has about 365 HP, the same as my dad's G80 from 2018, so could that contribute to the smaller range?) And the trunk space on the G80 EV was abysmal - even my car has superior space in the back. I also think that dial that shifts you from park to drive (and vice-versa) would take some getting used to.

It also felt like there weren't nearly enough representatives there at the panel - at least by the time my father and I got there - but that's another issue.

Also, there's apparently a nearby Michelin-rated restaurant associated with them, called Genesis House. It costs over $170 for a tasting. Jeez.

I don't know, the ICE-powered G80 still gets good ratings on Car and Driver, so maybe I'd still consider it (or the G70) my relatively realistic dream car. Definitely would consider buying South Korean again in the distant future, as I already enjoy owning my '23 Forte GT-Line Premium Package that I bought last September.

Last edited:
Back