I cannot go any faster....

• Thread starter Ian JB
  • 34 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Ian Bick
Hello to all of you!

As the title suggests - I just cannot go any faster now.

Since I bought the game and the console, my times have steadily improved. Then I discovered this fantastic site. Your collective and often unintentional assistance have dramatically improved my times, my tunes and my enjoyment of Gran Turismo 6. ( for which I thank you - all of you )

I have a problem now though - Try as I might, practice as I might, I just can't get any quicker. I reckon its down to my age ( wayyy past 50! ) and the fact that I use a standard controller.

So...

Would anyone be up for offering some assistance/coaching/practicing? I assume that this sort of thing is possible with the online side of things.

Do I purchase a wheel and pedals? - I often see comments that a good set up is worth several seconds per lap.

Do I give up with my first ever console and game and spend more time on the farm, with the wife and the dogs and the cows?

PS - Its not a rant honest its not. Its just quite frustrating for me to not be able to go any quicker!

Best regards.

Ian.

I can't help a whole lot as I'm rather slow myself, but joining the WRS did help my times quite a bit.

As for the wheel part, I would recommend trying to find a cheaper one first just in case you don't like it. People have been able to be extremely fast with regular gamepads though so it's not necessary.

Hello to all of you!

Since I bought the game and the console, my times have steadily improved. Then I discovered this fantastic site. Your collective and often unintentional assistance have dramatically improved my times, my tunes and my enjoyment of Gran Turismo 6. ( for which I thank you - all of you )

I have a problem now though - Try as I might, practice as I might, I just can't get any quicker. I reckon its down to my age ( wayyy past 50! ) and the fact that I use a standard controller.

So...

Would anyone be up for offering some assistance/coaching/practicing? I assume that this sort of thing is possible with the online side of things.

Do I purchase a wheel and pedals? - I often see comments that a good set up is worth several seconds per lap.

Do I give up with my first ever console and game and spend more time on the farm, with the wife and the dogs and the cows?

PS - Its not a rant honest its not. Its just quite frustrating for me to not be able to go any quicker!

Best regards.

Ian.
I am over 50 and I use a wheel and I am getting a bit faster with age , have you tried the online Time Trials ?, they can bring the best out of you, when you said you can not go any quicker have you tried different settings on you car and that makes a whole lot of difference in your time.

I'm Over 50 (just) & use a wheel ,when i got back into gaming about 6 years ago i used the controller but was never faster enough especially cos i use manual gears , once i got my DFGT wheel i was about 2secs a lap quicker, I know some people are legends with a joypad but not me .
infact i have 2 wheels for each console but my pedals are broke for the Ps4 so its only GT6 for now because i aint going back to a joypad.

Hello to all of you!

So...

Best regards.

Ian.

Hey hey Ian,

Another way to get faster is to get faster friends in your list... like in other aspects of life, you are a product of your environment. Even if that's not possible, you can head over to the online Seasonal Super Laps, download the top players replays and literally watch and learn.

When you have a replay of someone who is faster, you can watch it from their car with all HUD info on, but most importantly, from your favourite driving view. That way, you can see when and where their braking points are, how hard they brake, when they use trail braking and of course when and where they power out.

I'm also 50 and I use a normal controller as well... even though a wheel will get you faster eventually, there is a learning curve and from what I've been told and read here on GTP, there will be a period of time where you won't catch your controller times. In short, having a wheel isn't mandatory... personally I enjoy knowing I'm quick with a controller.

As I started off with, get some quicker or stupidly fast people in your friend's list... you'll be amazed just how much you will improve chasing some faster people. What's even better, those fast people are usually very helpful with hints, tips and encouragement. @Tidgney has some really helpful videos on here and YouTube, with insightful commentary on the particular track the video showcases. Those videos helped me dramatically.

Best of luck and wishes to you.

Cheers

Define "faster".

I am happy with where I am with GT6.

I have completed the infamous Veyron around Ascari license test.

I am absolutely fine with the intermediate seasonals.

I can so *some* of the expert races.

I do quite well getting gold on some time trials but can generally always get silver on most.

I can do silver and sometimes gold with the drift challenges.

I dont think I can do better.

You have to be happy with your level and the effort you put into the game. I can do a lot better but I'm not willing to spend more time on GT6 when there's so many other distractions.

Honing your skills on cornering can improve your overall time. This is especially true since we got alot of tracks to drive on. I use to like to sticking to one track at a time until I see some improvements and move on to others etc.
Also, having proper settings (whether it's your suspension or gear ratios) for any given track can improve your overall time as well. I know some people stick to same vehicle settings for every track, and I can see the outcome when ever we change tracks that has drastic change in road layout from prior track etc.

I like to get on tracks with actual driving lanes from time to time. Sticking to the left lane or the right lane while going as fast as possible (without losing control or overidi mg onto other lane) allowed me to get a better sense and overall driving skills. Although i can utilize better cornering if I use up the whole width of the road, but I find that sticking to one lane helped me when I was racing with group of people where we were close to one another in proximity (since other players can be side by side to you or even when you are up front or middle of the pack. Better control means less collisions and the ability to manuver your vehicle in tight situations etc.).

Since I am not sure on your driving patterns and what not, I just listed few general things that helped me improve on my driving. And remember, speed isn't everything if you cannot control your vehicle proper at such speeds.

P.S. Edit Update: By no means am I a pro racer in-game. I am a novice when compared to other great racers that I seen. I just listed what helped me. Your play style might not be similar to mine, so don't heed my words as if its the only way to improve lol. Just wanted to state thus because when I read my own post, it came off like I was a pro or something lol.

Last edited:
Hello Numb2pencil, (et al)

I have been tweaking things and, as suggested, been watching some replays. I am wayyyyyy to leery and wild!

Tuning my cars to my style of driving and controller has improved things. Watching the replays has helped even more. The throttle control, on a controller, is nigh on impossible for me. Brake control is equally difficult. I am totally convinced now that a wheel is the only way forwards. With around 2mm of throttle " pedal travel " on a controller, compared to around 60mm of travel on a wheel speaks volumes on its own.

Regarding your PS - Pro or not - I appreciate and thank you for your input! :-)

Regards.

Ian.

I have been tweaking things and, as suggested, been watching some replays. I am wayyyyyy to leery and wild!

Tuning my cars to my style of driving and controller has improved things. Watching the replays has helped even more. The throttle control, on a controller, is nigh on impossible for me. Brake control is equally difficult. I am totally convinced now that a wheel is the only way forwards. With around 2mm of throttle " pedal travel " on a controller, compared to around 60mm of travel on a wheel speaks volumes on its own.

Regards.

Ian.
I also recommend the wheel, if only for the incredible level of immersion it can offer, especially on games like Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, Dirt Rally and Drive Club on the PS4. Most of the fastest GT5/6 pilots were wheel users and they dominated all of the TT's as well. I think it just allows for more precision and is especially handy on cars that are more difficult to control. Good FFB helps with immersion and to tell you what is happening with the car as well, allowing you to respond to the car's physics where controller users are left guessing as to what is going on.

Although I use the G27 myself, I'd recommend, if you can afford it, moving up to something like the Thrustmaster T300. Stronger FFB than a G27 allows you to feel all the subtle nuance that can be lost with the G27's weaker FFB. It's also smoother and there's a whole ecosystem that goes with it.

Speed comes from practice but also from knowing the basics of going fast in real life, paired up with knowing how the physics of each game work and knowing where the exploits are. What works in GT6 isn't exactly what works in Assetto Corsa for example due to the different ways the physics are interpreted by the software guys and gals. The most common mistakes I see slower drivers making are not consistently hitting the apex, braking too hard and too late and getting out of shape, not using the whole track, and not getting on the throttle early enough at exit. The first 3 usually lead to the last one and it happens to be, by far, the most important factor in reducing lap times. Whoever hit's the throttle first, usually wins.

Regards.

Ian.

I've only used the regular ps3 controller so I am interested in hearing back how your wheel set up pans out. If you get a chance to update your opinion on this new set up, please do share with us!

Hi,

Will do!

Just back from a few days in York, where I was hoping to have bought a wheel and stand. Despite my best efforts, I could find neither wheel nor stand.

Being an engineer with access to an array of millers and lathes and, veritable, mountains of materials including stainless steel and aircraft grade aluminium - I am going to have a crack at making a steering wheel / pedal stand.

I will, of course, update you on the wheel and my progress with same.

Regards.

Ian.

Some fairly mild suspension and LSD tuning can really pay off, and transmission tuning. There was an update a couple years ago that seemed to normalize most of the handling, ie cars like the Stratos, Cizeta, used to be almost undriveable. And TCS , ABS settings your comfortable with. SRF adds a couple seconds also, but not allowed in TT. Gold times in TT are a pretty good standard roughly equivalent to real, unless you want to be a virtual Stig.

I am 61....found a track I really like...a car I really like and spend an inordinate amount of time there driving that one car.....learned to tune that single kind of car very well instead of jumping from car to car and tuning everything and learning all the tracks....I will move on to more tracks and cars when I become bored with what I am doing..As I am old and not spry anymore this method has given me the most satisfaction for the input of time...it is all about time behind the wheel..... in real life I have been driving for a long time....get a wheel > find a track you really like > practice like you are being paid for it... that practice can and should be online in the rooms affording the competition you desire...if there isn't one learn to open a room and Host it...The best fun since I raced 40 years ago....
....branch out as you become tuned....but that is just me :)

Last edited:
To be honest I think the biggest mistake a lot of people make is saying 'that's as fast as I can go' ... My number one rule is... Always believe you can go faster !
For me when I see (and hear) someone set a personal best lap time and then say 'that's about as fast as I can go' ... Well they end up being right, because mentally you've just set your limit.

Don't believe in aliens, say to yourself if that person can get that lap time so can I !
You've just set your PB, straight away say to yourself I think I can go a bit faster, maybe take a break for an hour or so (to relax, calm nerves, whatever), come back refreshed and believing you can find another couple of tenths.

My second rule is 'Drive without emotions'. Save your anger (or joy) until after your lap/race/TT or whatever. If you get angry at yourself for messing up that corner your not concentrating on what you should be doing....Believing you can go faster.

These are probably the hardest techniques to master, but once you believe and these thought processes become second nature, then you can start to fine tune your actual on track driving.

Buy a wheel. And not the cheap one. I recommend gt 300 trustmaster or logitech g 29. Racing game without the wheel is not a game.

For me also a racing game is not a racing game without a wheel - some can be quick with a controller, but I couldn't be (huge clumsy hands!).

The Thrustmaster T150 is the current entry level wheel - the modern day equivalent to a Logitech DFGT. I think this would be fine as a first wheel - some people have won championships with this wheel - they were available for around £90 during the Black Friday sales.

There has been a lot of talk in the thread about tuning - and quite rightly as a good tune can make a car faster and easier to drive. I foind now that I really enjoy driving the cars untuned / completely stock - find the right tyre to suit the stock tune - it night be a grade softer or it could be several grades harder (perhaps a Comfort) and instead of tuning find a good track for that car and then adapt your style to suit the car. After doing lots of tuning on GT5 I find myself increasingly enjoying driving and racing the cars in GT6 in stock form - I think this would definitely be easier with a wheel, when I used a hand controller there were many cars that I couldn't drive at all with the driving assists off, but now it is a pleasure to find a car that feels alive - a bit wayward and feel that somehow I'm just staying enough in control to drive fast!

Coming a bit late since OP but that might still help people.

Challenge yourself. That's very important. I see a lot of people saying they're not fast enough complaining as soon as you get comfort tyres on anything a bit powerful, and they never improve themselves. You got to step out of your comfort zone and eat some dirt and walls. Try a Yellowbird on comfort mediums with no ABS. Try to do some drifting. Take some good old underpowered lemons in open lobbies so you just can't overtake in straight lines.

But don't go that extreme at first, you have to be patient and start with something you actually have time to understand (and I think this is even more important in real life). You want to begin with a car that has progressive reactions so you can build up reflex and instinct. You want to trigger some situations as well, that's why I suggest doing some drift exercises, especially for people who just got a wheel.
A good combo for learning I always ask beginners to try out is the Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) on comfort softs on Tsukuba. With these tyres, the car is not overly powerful but still has enough to work out throttle control, suspension is soft and progressive so you'll have enough time to feel what happens and understand why. With this, you can already work a lot of things out : try to slide it just a bit with little angle, try to keep the rear tyres smoking for nearly a whole lap by linking the corners, then try not to drift at all. When you feel at ease, you can then increase the power, harden your suspension, change the tyres, get to a faster track...
Also, an exercise I asked potential recruits to perform when I was in a drift team : try to do a lap as fast as possible while not drifting at all, with the car the guy used to perform drift manoeuvers (so usually very powerful, specifically set up and with comfort hards :D). Now that would be a very good thing to do for training when you're confident under "normal" situations, as the window between oversteer and understeer is very small, requiring to refine your inputs.

In general, drive stock cars or cars with no setup as much as you can, because if you constantly tweak your setup, it's not the driver that will improve. You have to be able to adapt yourself to the situation, because you won't be able to adapt the situation to yourself once the race starts. So drive cars in stock form, and / or try to get setups from "aliens" (you will probably ask yourself how they can even stay on the road with that) and get used to it. And drive a great variety of cars and tracks ! Unless you're experienced, consistent, and have support from team mates or any exterior view / references, bashing a single combo for thousands of km will be frustrating and counterproductive soon, and I advise against it unless you're doing some serious competition. Progression at the begining is fast, but soon decreases and stops, at which point you'll be either comforted into thinking you're doing it perfectly and chisel bad reflexes into your muscular memory, which will get hard to get rid of after, or try random things and see your lap times increasing for a while. In short, you will get something like 95% or even more out the first 300km or so, and then struggle hundreds, even thousands of km maybe, to notice some kind of progression again. Usually, this happens for me quite suddenly after a break to purge some of the "bad stuff" (and by break I don't mean a 1 hour break, more like several days at least). most I've driven for a combo was about 5 or 6000 km in 3 weeks, but I've seen people drive even more.

Mentally, I basically have two motos : "ho, if that guy managed to take this corner at that speed, then I can at least go as fast there", and "if I'm not dead yet, I didn't tried hard enough". The wonderful thing in video games is that you can crash as many times as you want without nasty consequences, which means you can progress faster than in real life. Thing is, you can't know where the perfect braking point is until you braked too late. If you never missed, then it means there's still some margin. In real life, you have to do it quite progressively as you don't want to fail harder than missing the racing line or ride a bit of grass, but in video games you don't care, so you can work it out faster.

Of course, a wheel, at one point, becomes mandatory, no matter what some can say or what apd times they can show you. I know a guy who was utterly fast with a pad. He finally made the switch to a wheel, and 6 months after, he was at GT Academy. No matter how fast you are, there's a lot of precision and feedback a controller will never be able to provide.

But all of the above will bring you absolutely nowhere if you don't enjoy it. That's the most important thing. There can be some frustration, anger, competitiveness, but there but still be some kind of fun in the background. I'm even on the edge of saying you have to be a bit masochist to be able to do all that. But then, if you express the wish to be faster, I think you have that thing that will push you forward no matter what, that thing that will make you come back at it even when you raged quit your training session two days ago, not because you have to or someone asked you, but because you can't stand not doing it anymore.

Coming a bit late since OP but that might still help people.

Challenge yourself. That's very important. I see a lot of people saying they're not fast enough complaining as soon as you get comfort tyres on anything a bit powerful, and they never improve themselves. You got to step out of your comfort zone and eat some dirt and walls. Try a Yellowbird on comfort mediums with no ABS. Try to do some drifting. Take some good old underpowered lemons in open lobbies so you just can't overtake in straight lines.

But don't go that extreme at first, you have to be patient and start with something you actually have time to understand (and I think this is even more important in real life). You want to begin with a car that has progressive reactions so you can build up reflex and instinct. You want to trigger some situations as well, that's why I suggest doing some drift exercises, especially for people who just got a wheel.
A good combo for learning I always ask beginners to try out is the Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC) on comfort softs on Tsukuba. With these tyres, the car is not overly powerful but still has enough to work out throttle control, suspension is soft and progressive so you'll have enough time to feel what happens and understand why. With this, you can already work a lot of things out : try to slide it just a bit with little angle, try to keep the rear tyres smoking for nearly a whole lap by linking the corners, then try not to drift at all. When you feel at ease, you can then increase the power, harden your suspension, change the tyres, get to a faster track...
Also, an exercise I asked potential recruits to perform when I was in a drift team : try to do a lap as fast as possible while not drifting at all, with the car the guy used to perform drift manoeuvers (so usually very powerful, specifically set up and with comfort hards :D). Now that would be a very good thing to do for training when you're confident under "normal" situations, as the window between oversteer and understeer is very small, requiring to refine your inputs.

In general, drive stock cars or cars with no setup as much as you can, because if you constantly tweak your setup, it's not the driver that will improve. You have to be able to adapt yourself to the situation, because you won't be able to adapt the situation to yourself once the race starts. So drive cars in stock form, and / or try to get setups from "aliens" (you will probably ask yourself how they can even stay on the road with that) and get used to it. And drive a great variety of cars and tracks ! Unless you're experienced, consistent, and have support from team mates or any exterior view / references, bashing a single combo for thousands of km will be frustrating and counterproductive soon, and I advise against it unless you're doing some serious competition. Progression at the begining is fast, but soon decreases and stops, at which point you'll be either comforted into thinking you're doing it perfectly and chisel bad reflexes into your muscular memory, which will get hard to get rid of after, or try random things and see your lap times increasing for a while. In short, you will get something like 95% or even more out the first 300km or so, and then struggle hundreds, even thousands of km maybe, to notice some kind of progression again. Usually, this happens for me quite suddenly after a break to purge some of the "bad stuff" (and by break I don't mean a 1 hour break, more like several days at least). most I've driven for a combo was about 5 or 6000 km in 3 weeks, but I've seen people drive even more.

Mentally, I basically have two motos : "ho, if that guy managed to take this corner at that speed, then I can at least go as fast there", and "if I'm not dead yet, I didn't tried hard enough". The wonderful thing in video games is that you can crash as many times as you want without nasty consequences, which means you can progress faster than in real life. Thing is, you can't know where the perfect braking point is until you braked too late. If you never missed, then it means there's still some margin. In real life, you have to do it quite progressively as you don't want to fail harder than missing the racing line or ride a bit of grass, but in video games you don't care, so you can work it out faster.

Of course, a wheel, at one point, becomes mandatory, no matter what some can say or what apd times they can show you. I know a guy who was utterly fast with a pad. He finally made the switch to a wheel, and 6 months after, he was at GT Academy. No matter how fast you are, there's a lot of precision and feedback a controller will never be able to provide.

But all of the above will bring you absolutely nowhere if you don't enjoy it. That's the most important thing. There can be some frustration, anger, competitiveness, but there but still be some kind of fun in the background. I'm even on the edge of saying you have to be a bit masochist to be able to do all that. But then, if you express the wish to be faster, I think you have that thing that will push you forward no matter what, that thing that will make you come back at it even when you raged quit your training session two days ago, not because you have to or someone asked you, but because you can't stand not doing it anymore.

I absolutely agree on the fun factor. I just don't get some people that I come across who will put down other players because they are not as fast on the top speed as them- in a cruise setting room. Even in races, I tend to pick cars that I enjoy driving, even though I know I have other cars that are much faster in my arsenal.
I guess I got burnt out on full out races. Maybe it's because I only have between 3-5 cars that I know and tested to be full put for actual race with winning in mind. I get this weird mood at times and won't hardly touch those cars because I know they will do fairly well (under certain tracks). These days, I am much more about having fun than being competitive. Pulling out the same cars everytime I want to actually win or at least be part of the lead pack gets boring, reeeeal quick (at least for me).

I totally feel you on that. Since the day I began to play online on GT5 I'm staying away from what appeared to be "cheated" cars. And not relying on a specific car to try and get the win can only be benificial.

Hey Guys,

Thought I would try to help you guys out, I never put a limit on my speed as I believe i can always get better and faster as every time I get out on track I try to learn something and even relearn something. I will share what I believe are the most important things to consider when trying to go faster or get faster lap times.
It all depends on how committed you are and how much you want it, well that's what I believe.
These methods are all methods I have found to work for me and are available on the web so I'm simply passing on the knowledge I have found useful.

1.1.The racing Line

GOAL: One smooth Arc, turn in Apex to track out.

Establish References:

1.Braking point
2.Turn In Point
3.Apex
4.Track Out

Symtom Error

- Need to turn more at exit (Track Out) - Early Turn in early Apex
- Road left at exit - Late turn in late Apex

1.2 Reading the circuit

(Get a Circuit Map to plot these corners)

3 Main types of corners when looking at a track

Type 1
One that leads onto a straight
Type 2
One that comes at the end of a straight
Type 3
One that connects two other corners

Type 1 corners are of more importance than Type 2 corners, which in turn are more important than Type 3 corners.

The most important thing is getting the line right and gradually building your speed on that same line.

These are only a few things I stick to religiously, I know they seem obvious but sometimes it's the obvious things you don't pay attention to.

Some really great resources that will help you, these are all the resources I used to train myself!

http://www.drivingfast.net/
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB47FE28B00FD472

Hope this helps you out if it does not then there is no hope...lol, Good Luck

Hey there, welcome to online racing 👍

A few things.

I use a controller for playing racing games, as I don't have space for a proper rig. From what I have read, many people get faster when they change to a wheel. That said, while I'm definitely not the fastest, I have spent a lot of time working out how to use the controller to keep up with wheel users, both racing and drifting. There are definitely some techniques specific to the conteoller which, while not always the most realistic, can help you win some precious time back.

But if you have the means for a wheel and rig, I'd say take the plunge.

If you're going to build your own rig, check out Google and YouTube, there's tons of people who share their own homemade rigs. Lots of great ideas out there.

Lastly, how to get faster. There's lots of good ideas here, but one thing I would recommend if you are half way serious about actually getting faster, understanding why you are getting faster, and then apply it to racing wheel to wheel against others online, is to really study the fundimentals. Brake down and analyze every aspect of your driving, correct errors and bad habits, practice new techniques repeatedly until they become second nature.

This is an area where the cross over between real life and a video game is pretty significant....as the theory and geometry of how to get a car through a corner is basically the same. Reading books and articles on performance driving, or watching videos on the Internet can teach you a great deal.

Here's a link to a YouTube channel by a fellow GTP user.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8vLMSxw70-zJCq0cy1_lCpgomHWd0w5i
Most of the channel is for pCARS, but the playlist called "Becoming an Alien" is a comprehensive brake down of how to get faster. He splits the corner into 4 different segments - Initial Braking, Turn In, Apex, and Exit - and covers each section in detail, both in terms of driving technique, and how to tune for each specific part of the corner.

I ended up quitting the game a while back because I wasn't seeing any improvements. Just got back on today. I may end up being faster than before once I get warmed up, or I may be stuck at the same pace. I just think I don't have a brain that can comprehend how to go faster. I try to use the same setups as people, drive the same way, brake and accelerate in the same areas, and i still can't keep up.

Hello all and thank you for some very insightful replies and ideas.

I ended up quitting the game a while back because I wasn't seeing any improvements. Just got back on today. I may end up being faster than before once I get warmed up, or I may be stuck at the same pace. I just think I don't have a brain that can comprehend how to go faster. I try to use the same setups as people, drive the same way, brake and accelerate in the same areas, and i still can't keep up.

I used to and, sometimes, still do suffer from the above. Then discovered that I was trying too hard. Too hard on the throttle and way way way too hard on the brakes!

One of the best fixes I have managed to come up with - For me at least - Is the free run mode. Buy a car, any car. Tune the car to your liking and then free run. Run a few laps sloooooooowwwwwly. Then a few as quick as possible. The errors started to glare at me then. Re-set. Start again. Slow laps then quick laps.

Hope that helps some one else here - It certainly helped me. I am hoping to finish the Red Bull super lap seasonal in the top 2000 places!!!! I would never have thought that possible just a few weeks ago.

Regards.

Ian.

Last edited:
I try to use the same setups as people, drive the same way, brake and accelerate in the same areas, and i still can't keep up.

If you're looking at replays from other people and try to get the throttle / brake indicators, while they're not bad to look at, they're not 100% accurate regarding timing. I noticed the brake bar always take a bit of time to go full, even when you slam the pedal super hard. And of course, there's a bit of reaction time, so usually, when you try hard to replicate another person's braking points, you end up braking too late. The most important thing is to focus on how they're braking : how much force, when approximately the pressure starts to decrease and how fast, how much brake is applied up to the apex, how long the neutral period is (no brake no accel)... Try all that. You'll learn how the car reacts to this and adjust your braking points with a bit of trial and error then.

And don't forget there are still things you don't see, as steering inputs (general tip : the less the better). So don't focus too much on doing things like Mr Alien, that will get frustrating quickly. You can watch his feats, but focus more on your own progress. If you set your target too high at first, you won't notice you're actually doing better already. If you use ghosts, try loading one that is not too much faster, so you can actually see it in front of you. Progress level by level. It might seem strange but racing is all about patience.

If you can, ask fast people to watch you driving live and talk with them about your laps, how you feel on entries, load and exits. I helped quite a few guys like this.

Try @Ian JB 's method as well, never done this but it makes sense actually.

Hello to all of you!

So...

Best regards.

Ian.

I'm close to 70-years old and most likely won't improve due to slower reflexes and poorer sight. I do use a six-axis controller but I feel I could do better with a wheel. There's also the reason that I'm not going to put in the amount of time I used to put in to racing. 20 years ago I could race and practice for hours at a time, but my eyes and hands don't quite like that sort of punishment anymore. Just trying to concentrate for hours at a stretch takes a toll on the body and I really do have more important things to do

I definitely recommend getting a wheel. I'm on a fixed income so it will be a while before I can afford any decent wheel rig. But then again, how good do I need to get just to have some fun. I've been in the top 1000 in a few fast lap races but usually in the top 2000 and do fairly well in seasonals. (see my youtube GT6 videos by searching Douglas Keith). I just like to drive but I'm not going to go crazy trying to beat some teenagers or people who dropped a grand on a wheel rig. I might as well be rational and admit my time has passed. I've been racing for years and I feel I'm getting slower due to poor reaction times. I almost never do any night racing because it's too hard to see corners.

I'm not saying YOU can't go any faster as you get older but it's probably that much harder to compete against younger drivers. Best of luck and just try and enjoy your racing even if you're not the fastest around.

The best perk of getting a wheel, more that pace, is it takes the fun to a whole new level. No need for incredibly pricey rigs unless you go hard with pc sims. I'm basically running a DFGT grafted onto a 5 planks box holding up with screws, that flexes when suddenly countersteering, and my brake pedal currently holds up with some duct tape and a sock. That doesn't prevent me from having fun (and even be competitive at higher levels). Regarding pace, bang for the buck a DFGT or T150 explodes everything else on the market anyway.

The best perk of getting a wheel, more that pace, is it takes the fun to a whole new level. No need for incredibly pricey rigs unless you go hard with pc sims. I'm basically running a DFGT grafted onto a 5 planks box holding up with screws, that flexes when suddenly countersteering, and my brake pedal currently holds up with some duct tape and a sock. That doesn't prevent me from having fun (and even be competitive at higher levels). Regarding pace, bang for the buck a DFGT or T150 explodes everything else on the market anyway.

I was recently visiting a friend of mine and ended up going to one of his friends house, where the guy had a nice wheel + seat set up. I must say, the wheel allowed me to have much better control in general. It made the cruises much more fun since I was able to control the vehicle at close proximity to the other cars throughout the track (corners and all). Infact, I enjoyed actual races much more due to the wheel set up. It felt bit awkward getting back to the normal ds3 controller once I got back home (we spent few days over at their house).

Back