I can't believe people care what a console looks like..

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 36 comments
United States
United States
All the talk about the appearance of the console. A car or a gal and yes I get the obsessiveness of the beauty. Power, Power and more power is all I care about with the game machine . If the series X was larger it could pose problems but keeping it cool is important.

Because it wont fit under my tv and therefore I won't be getting it.
Seriously? Let's try some problem solving.

This console doesn't fit in this certain shaped space. I guess I'll have to find another place for it. Oh, maybe on top next to or behind the flat TV that barely takes up any space? Problem solved.

Well, it could have been compact in the first place. But regardless, I don't care how it looks like, since it's unlikely that I'll be buying one in the future anyway.

All the talk about the appearance of the console. A car or a gal and yes I get the obsessiveness of the beauty..
Why is a car any different? It's designed to get a person from one place to another, what does it's looks have to do with that?

I get why the design of a console is important to some people, they are designed to be on display in a living room afterall. What they can do is more important sure, but I imagine if Sony or MS said "ah, screw the looks, it's powerful" they would sell less.

A new console is coming and the forums are filled up with post about pointless comments about its aesthetics instead of it potential.
So what ? Why does it bother you to the point that you had to make a "thread" about it? "Oh my god i can't beliave people find important the things i don't ! " .
Like really? Just let them be some do it for the banter, some because they truly don't like it or worry about practicality and some because they like hating things i mean i would care somewhat if i bought a 500$ worth product and it looked like a fridge .

Gee its not like people can critisize one aspect of one thing while praise another aspect of said thing.

Or people just post some short thoughts and then move on instead of their lifes suddenly relies around that aspect.

Nononono.

But that doesn't solve my problem. All my stuff is tucked away underneath. I'm not having a console sitting out behind the tv that I need to move every time I wont to change the game.

It's a poor design and hopefully isnt the final design.

Microsoft know the dimensions of a standard tv unit so this is a poor decision

Last edited:
But that doesn't solve my problem. All my stuff is tucked away underneath. I'm not having a console sitting out behind the tv that I need to move every time I wont to change the game.

It's a poor design and hopefully isnt the final design.

Microsoft know the dimensions of a standard tv unit so this is a poor decision
If it doesn't fit in a TV unit that would be bad design, but to be fair we don't know the dimensions of thier new console yet. There is also the chance that it can be positioned on it's side, remember the PS2, PS3 and PS4 can all be stood up or lay down flat and will operate normally either way.

Like you, I wouldn't want it tucked behind the TV either, besides I already have my two NAS drives back there so it's not as roomy as it should be any more.

Seriously, how about waiting until more information comes out before making these decisions. Do we even know where the disc goes on? Chill.

All the talk about the appearance of the console. A car or a gal and yes I get the obsessiveness of the beauty. Power, Power and more power is all I care about with the game machine . If the series X was larger it could pose problems but keeping it cool is important.

I sold Hi-Fi for half my life, people factored style in to the their buying decisions often... my advice... build a bridge, and get over it. You won't change the fact by not liking it.

Seriously, how about waiting until more information comes out before making these decisions. Do we even know where the disc goes on? Chill.
I'm pretty sure you can see where the disk goes in the pictures.

3614974-series-xbox3.jpg

I'm pretty sure you can see where the disk goes in the pictures.

3614974-series-xbox3.jpg
Thanks. I never took a good look at it, just the quick shot at the game awards. I see no problems with it and think it looks fine. I have plenty of space for this thing if I was to buy it, but I'm a Playstation guy

I guess people care about design. Power is nice, but it doesn’t change the aesthetics of the product.

Making fun of a console's design is hardly a new phenomenon... remember when the PS3 was a grill?
825e1e6cd96ec007720a847ac36dda1d.jpg

Or when the Xbox One was a VCR?
xbox-one-600x554_hjgs.jpg

Or when the original Xbox was XBOX HUEG?
boat_hueg_11_11_1_1111_.jpg

Now lets look at the latest renders* for the PS5.
*Note this is not the actual console.
69309_01_new-playstation-5-renders-show-radical-different-design-again_full.jpg

69309_02_new-playstation-5-renders-show-radical-different-design-again_full.jpg

69309_03_new-playstation-5-renders-show-radical-different-design-again_full.jpg

69309_04_new-playstation-5-renders-show-radical-different-design-again_full.jpg

Why is a car any different? It's designed to get a person from one place to another, what does it's looks have to do with that?
Err, the shape having to do with its aerodynamics or interior space, I guess? Doesn't apply to a console though.

Err, the shape having to do with its aerodynamics or interior space, I guess? Doesn't apply to a console though.
You're missing the point, which has nothing to do with form following fuction, rather the appearance being attractive to a person. Forget function, why is it different to care about how much you like the look of a car?

Not everyone does care about that, but a lot do. There's absolutely nothing wrong with caring about what a games console will look like either. The appearance of an object does and always will influence a large portion of consumers choices.

It's part of who we are, we are more attracted (not sexually I hope) to things we think look nice. The more we care about that object, the more we will care about what it looks like. That's why some people like a house with character, a car with a nice shape or a console that will look nice in their TV cabinet. Function counts for a lot, but so does aesthetics.

...which is probably why we all love the Toyota Prius. Efficient aerodynamics, lots of interior space. What else could you want from a car design?

Back