I feel sorry for PD

  • Thread starter Thread starter Fantomas666
  • 82 comments
  • 4,972 views
Status
Not open for further replies.
Messages
184
Messages
Mr_Bungle83
Messages
HaHaHa as if JESUS no WAY
I just wonder if anyone has ever put this much effort into a game and gotten so much stick. if this was called anything other than gran turismo it would have scored 10 out of 10. Am I deluded? It's just that some of the kak u can buy that scores 80% and above and they turf out a new version every year to fleece you of another £40 - $60. I personally think this game is awesome and getting better for free. I saw some guy complaining that it should be called gt 4.5? If it were made by EA it would have to be GT 25 to have come this far, they have laid the benchmark and it keeps on growing thanks PD lots of us think you rule!
 
I just wonder if anyone has ever put this much effort into a game and gotten so much stick. if this was called anything other than gran turismo it would have scored 10 out of 10. Am I deluded? It's just that some of the kak u can buy that scores 80% and above and they turf out a new version every year to fleece you of another £40 - $60. I personally think this game is awesome and getting better for free. I saw some guy complaining that it should be called gt 4.5? If it were made by EA it would have to be GT 25 to have come this far, they have laid the benchmark and it keeps on growing thanks PD lots of us think you rule!

Finally, another normal post. However, I won't put 10 out of 10 -- the game still has some cons, which are bad for any game, not just GT. Like the lack of events and some graphic issues. But I agree that a lot of PD's huge efforts are not reviewed properly by some community members.
 
I just wonder if anyone has ever put this much effort into a game and gotten so much stick. if this was called anything other than gran turismo it would have scored 10 out of 10. Am I deluded? It's just that some of the kak u can buy that scores 80% and above and they turf out a new version every year to fleece you of another £40 - $60. I personally think this game is awesome and getting better for free. I saw some guy complaining that it should be called gt 4.5? If it were made by EA it would have to be GT 25 to have come this far, they have laid the benchmark and it keeps on growing thanks PD lots of us think you rule!
Visit the official or pseudo-official/most popular online community for any game, and you will get the same. It's not unique to GT at all.

The hysterics on this board are actually fairly tame compared with the F1 2010 official forum, for instance.
 
Just because I enjoy this game doesn't mean I'll be blind to its flaws. I've played the series since the first version and it has gotten better with every release. But, other developers are getting better too.

I guess GT5 was in production for a long time, and in the end we got less content than was contained in earlier releases. But, what's in this version is more focused. Which is why I'm so surprised to see so many little issues all across the game.
 
The game as it is is like a raw ingot of freshly obtained diamond rock,VERY rough around the edges and leaves lots of things to be desired,but has great potential.No one sane can deny that other racing games are superior in many areas (except physics,that would be the nail in the coffin) relative to GT5 and have been developed in far less time.Expectations have risen.HOWEVER imo GT5 can be a great game,just needs some polish in the form of added updates and features to make it into what it should be and what we have expected.
 
Just because I enjoy this game doesn't mean I'll be blind to its flaws. other developers are getting better too.

I guess GT5 was in production for a long time, and in the end we got less content than was contained in earlier releases. Which is why I'm so surprised to see so many little issues all across the game.

Completely right.👍 No GT5 kool aid,for us.Let's judge this fairly.:)
 
How are the sales doing? I really have no idea, but that would be the ultimate judge. I wonder how many of the super complainers would purchase the game again if theirs was stolen for instance.
 
I just wonder if anyone has ever put this much effort into a game and gotten so much stick. if this was called anything other than gran turismo it would have scored 10 out of 10.

The fact that it is a GT game probably unfairly raised the score. GT5 has good physics and good online (and both have room for improvment). The rest of it is a disaster. Not only that, it took PD a long time to release the disaster too.

If it were made by EA it would have to be GT 25 to have come this far

Why? I don't see PD as being very different from EA.
 
I tottaly agree, but i played grid yesterday and its 3 yrars older and to me it looks about the same
 
I still can't accept that prologue has better visuals...
For me this is the major flaw of GT5.
 
I agree there are flaws but my point is the game reviews are on expectation/previous releases. For me I would like to see tougher a spec but I have never really worried about the grinding I don't care if it takes me 6 years to get level 40. I cant quite understand how games that contain 20 cars that all feel the same and 15 tracks they can score 80% and above. I just think when it comes to sales then reviews are important and it's unfair for this game to be considered an average racer. I find it hard to explain but I think because they have gone above and beyond they are getting punished and we have to remember the limitations of the ps3. I'm just sick of all the crying! yet these people still clearly love the game just give PD time yes more time in the mean time enjoy what it can do, which is more than any other game ATM.
 
PD has a bit of a problem here, or more specifically four of them. They are called GT1, GT2, GT3 and GT4. What would happen to Daimler-Benz if the new S-Class was not much better than the C class, for S class money.

The previous GT titles have set a standard that GT5 just can't live up to and that's why they get a lot of flak and to be brutally honest, they deserve some of it. Add to that PD's annoying habit of fixing something that isn't broken and replacing it with something genuinely useless. The trend started with GT3 when the genuinely loved feature of race modification to almost all cars was replaced by, well nothing. The B-Spec mode in GT4 was a brilliant idea. If you didn't like a specific race, you could have a B-Spec driver do the job for you and you didn't have to ride 24h enduros by yourself, because you could hand over to a B-Spec-er. They saw that it makes entirely too much sense and replaced it by the mindbogglingly useless B-Spec mode of GT5. If you make such ridiculous design choices, you'll have to face the disappointment of your customer base. And if you take 5 years to come up with it, you shouldn't be surprized by airborne excrements heading towards the rotating cooling device.

With the exception of the online playing, GT5 offers vastly less than GT4 for the same or even more money. Just nice graphics don't make the cut anymore in 2010/2011 and only the die-hards really notice most of the changes to the physics model.
 
in the mean time enjoy what it can do, which is more than any other game ATM.

To be honest, my time with Forza 3 convinced me that Forza could do more than GT5. But, all the good options were in private racing rooms. Public rooms were utter garbage. Forza also has a better car list in my opinion (I'm including DLC).

I've also tried some PC racing sims, and they have features that blow away GT. Even old GT's have things that are missing in GT5. It's very strange. I don't really see GT as this amazing class leading title. It has some very good points, but it fails to be above average (and sometimes fails to be average at all) in a lot of areas. I don't read reviews or scores because I don't find them meaningful, but if GT is being rated as average, it wouldn't surprise me.

It's still the best overall racing game on a console that I've played for any significant amount of time, but being the best doesn't necessarily mean being good.
 
Tonnie073
I played grid yesterday and its 3 yrars older and to me it looks about the same

Wow! I can't believe that anyone would say this! I played GRID for years and can drive flat out never lifting the accelerator pedal around the tracks...can you say "arcade game". Although damage modeling is first class, driving physics is a complete flop!
 
May I ask the question then, why play it? Do you? And if not why look at the gt5 forum? My best guess is that this game still has it I don't mean to sound arrogant but it confuses me that the forum seems more popular than the game, I can see the flaws and have had some good points made but I still think this is the best console racer the other night we has a 12 man online organised race 40 laps of Suzuka not 1 drop out, loads of spins and a finish between the top 5 of less than 8 seconds my heart was pounding and I just thought damn people should know how good this game is.
 
I genuinely enjoy online racing. It's all I do, and it makes up for the rest of the game. GT is CoD with cars.

But I'm not going to give the impression that I'm fine with what PD is doing, when I'm not fine with it. I want GT to be really, really, really, really, good. GT needs to change to get that way though. Like I said before, GT is probably the best console racer, but that just means that the genre as a whole is not living up to its potential.
 
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy because I have had good online races, I was just expressing that personally I have not experienced a racer half as good.
 
May I ask the question then, why play it? Do you? And if not why look at the gt5 forum? My best guess is that this game still has it I don't mean to sound arrogant but it confuses me that the forum seems more popular than the game, I can see the flaws and have had some good points made but I still think this is the best console racer the other night we has a 12 man online organised race 40 laps of Suzuka not 1 drop out, loads of spins and a finish between the top 5 of less than 8 seconds my heart was pounding and I just thought damn people should know how good this game is.

First of all, the 'no drop outs' thing has nothing to do with the games, it only means that you guys all had very stable and very fast internet connections and that's the problem. There's more than a few people, who don't have that, therefore no online racing for them. And what is GT5 without online play? Quite frankly it's blown into the middle of next week by its 5 year old predecessor. I said it a couple times, online play is ONE of GT5's features. For those, who can use it, it glosses over the major probs of the game, but those without a lightning quick broadband connection are left with an utterly mediocre, poorly designed product, especially if you look at it's predecessors:

- 80% of the same cars as GT4 (even looking the same)
- at least 60 or more percent less A-Spec races
- one third of the games content practically useless (B-Spec mode)

Everyone, who thinks that such facts are acceptable for something that has been in development for 5 years and being hyped by the publisher as GT5 has been is rather easy to satisfy or has never seen any of the previous title. Of course people still play it, despite the disappointment. A disappointing car is still better than walking and the alternative is to fork out even more money to buy an X-Box and Forza or buying Shift2 and putting up with it's epileptic driving physics (which includes that you're naive enough to buy anything that says "EA Sports" on the box, which is the same as buying a Hyundai and hoping it'll turn out as good as a Lotus)
 
I agree, if it was some unknown developer who released this out of the blue, it would get rave reveiws, for its car physics and modelling. But because of it's history and the time taken to make it, it gets hated by alot of people. I wonder how Forza 5 is gonna be, or even forza 4 for that matter, people's expectations of that game should be high, and everyone is thinking, it will take top spot as the console racing simulator king. All i know is, i will not fork out $500 for a game and console just to play Forza 4 when i have GT5.

But there is a positive to all this, GT6 can't possibly be any worse....can it?
 
So you know what, I will concede, you guys make good points and if so many of you think it should be better then perhaps it should, but my original point was that the reviews are unfair and maybe there not! but some of the reviews for other games really need looking at. I just think that more sales generates more revenue that will mean a better game and if Any game needs to be purchased for the ps3 then it's this.
 
What would happen to Daimler-Benz if the new S-Class was not much better than the C class, for S class money.

Nothing as Daimler-Benz doesnt exist any more.
 
I have not ejected my gt5 disc since november 23rd.. Thats how good this game is in my eyes. I only play racing games and lets face it.. for realism games like nfs amd grid are just stoneage compared to this.
 
Here's 100% of the issue;
PD has made a game which is too easy to get to the end of. Which is why people want more events, cars, ect. People will automatically think "oh, iv'e reached the end of the game", and will demand more, despite not seeing that there is much more in the game to play. Also, people see the Endurance races as "an inconvinence" rather than "a long term challenge", as they were ment to be experienced.

In short-
People who hit level 25, haven't gotten an X1, and see the endurances as chores are going to want more. Despite the fact that more is simply what the've skipped over when it got to difficult.
 
I have not ejected my gt5 disc since november 23rd.. Thats how good this game is in my eyes. I only play racing games and lets face it.. for realism games like nfs amd grid are just stoneage compared to this.

I'm really happy for you if you think that way. But it also tells me that you can't possibly have owned one of the previous titles. Of course it's a glorious riot to take a roll in the hay with the cute neighbors daughter, but if you took that drop-dead gorgeous, smoking hot chick from down the street to bed before, the experience might be considerably less exciting :sly:
 
Wow! I can't believe that anyone would say this! I played GRID for years and can drive flat out never lifting the accelerator pedal around the tracks...can you say "arcade game". Although damage modeling is first class, driving physics is a complete flop!

But the entertainment is x10 in GRID compared to GT5 and you still had to be a good driver in order to be - you know - good at it.
 
It's because fans of simulator racing games have OCD.
 
I feel sorry for PD too. I think they were overambitious.

I wasn't expecting GT6 to land on the PS3, but I've changed my mind since GT5 came out. I think GT6 will be what Kaz should have made before his ambitions became too large. I really like GT5, I have played it almost everyday since it came out, but I still think GT5's biggest legacy will be Kaz and PD learning from the mistakes they made.

GT6 Q3 2013 I called it :)
 
But the entertainment is x10 in GRID compared to GT5 and you still had to be a good driver in order to be - you know - good at it.

Depends on what you think is entertaining, doesn't it?
 
Well, the online racing was intense and felt like racing. Most of the time in GT5 it's all about the setup and the car being used within the restrictions - plus online races in GT5 doesn't really feel that good because of the different physics compared to offline racing and the hosts not setting tyre restrictions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back