I feel sorry for people who play the game with TV's default speakers.

  • Thread starter Thread starter hot_cheese
  • 71 comments
  • 6,365 views
Messages
91
Messages
hot_cheese
The engine and exhaust sound might not be 100% accurate in the game but you need to play this game with at least a 5.1 surround sound set up. 2.1 or TV's speaker just ruins it.

I didn't hook up my speakers until recently, what a HUGE difference. In bumper cam, I can hear the wind noise up front, I can hear the transmission from the center speaker and engine and exhaust sound from the rear speaker. When I use the TV's 2 channels sound, all I can hear is really the transmission. Being able to hear every sound effect adds so much to the game.

If you can't get surround sound systems, at least invest in a decent surround sound headphone. It'll do just fine.
 
Wrecks sound brutally real if you have a good subwoofer.

GT5 has superb LFE
 
Its best with a headset ;)
 
Right now I'm running my PS3 through a set of M-Audio studio monitors and it sounds pretty decent. It could be better, but the V-8's sound a lot more like V-8's than people are saying. It sounds even better through good headphones, but it's too much work to re-route my zip-tied cords to get them to reach the studio monitor headphone jack.
 
Cry for me...

I use my LCD TVs built in speakers right now while my 7.1 system is packed up with my buttkicker in the garage...

It's heinous...
 
Thanks for your sympathy lol.
:lol:

"Sadly", all my money went towards a surround sound for our big screen in the main room instead. I'm sure my roommates appreciate the gesture. :)
 
I have a Tritton AX720 headset, I bought it for FPS's like Call of Duty but they're great for Gran Turismo. They utilize 5.1 surround sound and on top of that they sit right on your freaking head so it sounds great. Couple with a good wheel and setup it's like you're sitting in the car.
 
I feel sorry for the starving children of world, but not for people without 5.1.
 
Wrecks sound brutally real if you have a good subwoofer.

GT5 has superb LFE

Yes.

I've seen a lot of people say the sounds for crashing into other cars and walls is horrible, and i'm alway sitting here thinking wtf? Then I realize if you don't have a good subwoofer, you probably don't hear much at all since it's almost completely a low frequency boom.

When I mess up a turn bad and I'm headed for the wall, I try and hit pause and restart before the hit because it's so freaking loud.
 
When I mess up a turn bad and I'm headed for the wall, I try and hit pause and restart before the hit because it's so freaking loud.
:lol: Yes, I experienced this too already.

I don't have a sorround system (but I know that the sorround mix of the game is fantastic) and while my system is not the best, it's definitely good enough to appreciate most of the sound effects from GT5. But most of the engines sound bad though (engine note).
 
Can't say I have had the pleasure to hear it in surround yet. At first I was reduced to using just the pitiful little speakers in my TV then I hooked up a good set of Altec PC speakers to the line out on the TV which made a huge improvement. Still thinking about getting a 5.1 system for it though.
 
I feel sorry for the starving children of world, but not for people without 5.1.

me neither, i feel sorry for those without 7.1!

but alas, I'm not sure I have it all setup correct, need to re-read the audio thread, but the Denon mega-amplifier w/definitive speakers sure rock.:cheers:
 
The Chevy LS V8's still sound like crap with my turtle beach headset.
 
oh i know, i have it my room for a bit running b-spec, but compared to when i hook it up to my dad's 5.1 surround sound its soooo epic! a 12in sub+big crash=lots of noise lol
 
5.1 with a buttkicker and a regular sub, does that qualify as 5.2? Hmm. 5.1 and 3/4 perhaps.

Anyway it sounds / feels pretty good :). Some cars moreso than others.


I feel sorry for the starving children of world, but not for people without 5.1.

Well chances are there's a lot of overlap anyway, so you're covered. 👍
 
I play this on my 2.5k 5.1 setup and it still sounds pretty poor tbh yet the other console racer i have sounds amazing!
 
still love the sound of classic carb'd muscle car v-8's pumping major HP into the ozone when you stomp on it. I don't get the whole Whiny variable Transmission noise? that ruins every car you put it in. does anyone know how to remedy that terrible sound?
 
I play this on my 2.5k 5.1 setup and it still sounds pretty poor tbh yet the other console racer i have sounds amazing!

If it actually sounds poor on your 2.5k set up then you got ripped off. But what are these other games? Dirt sounded good, for sure. But what else?
 
7.1 to much, 5.1 ideal 👍
 
What about kids starving in the world, geez.
 
still love the sound of classic carb'd muscle car v-8's pumping major HP into the ozone when you stomp on it. I don't get the whole Whiny variable Transmission noise? that ruins every car you put it in. does anyone know how to remedy that terrible sound?

By not getting it installed? Hey, that's the sound of straight cut gears and it's like that in real life as well - tough luck if you don't like it. As much as I love classic Muscle, it's not the game developers' fault that GM, Mopar and Ford considered a decently spaced performance tranny to be an afterthought not worth the trouble and they just slapped their sturdiest luxobarge trans in there.

It is, however, their fault that an affordable and abundant muscle car like the regular '68-'69 Plymouth RoadRunner with the 383 block isn't in there - I loooove that car and aspire to own a nice and original looking one someday. Nor any Yenko Chevies for that matter. And they put the ugliest 'Cuda in there as well - I want the '70 AAR and Hemi with shaker hood. And the Charger is a standard, not a premium. And on top of that, I can't find the Belvedere GTX anywhere in the game anymore. :grumpy:
 
By not getting it installed? Hey, that's the sound of straight cut gears and it's like that in real life as well

Good to know. Now, If I run into a wall at 224 mph, why do I just throw it into reverse and drive away?
 
I play this on my 2.5k 5.1 setup and it still sounds pretty poor tbh yet the other console racer i have sounds amazing!

If you've got a properly configured 5.1 setup, change the default surround settings from 'Living Room' to either the small or large home theatre selections (forget exactly what they're called). I found this opened up the dynamic range and discrete audio cues output to the surround speakers.
 
I have 6.1 and yes its amazing how acurate the positioning of each channel is. And the LFE is just insane too.
 
I have a Phillips 5.1 surround sound system here but it plays the tv through the speakers no problem but wont play the PS3 sounds, take it that is because i dnt use optical cable?

System is around 5 yr old and doesnt have optical connection on it, i just use the 2 RCA plugs from Tv into system.
 
driving into a wall is not good for my subwoofer and buttkickers hehe...
 
I use my tv's Trusurround HD - don't need any speakers!
 
I'll admit the whiney transmission sound spoils some of the sound quality and that a with a decent 5.1 the sound if you hit the wall is damn loud. Also some cars sound better than others ie the 69 Camaro and Ferrari P4 are fantastic.

I've got mine running through a 7.1 setup with Tannoys for front and centre, Mission 12" sub and Missions in the middle and rear and with the sound setup in the the GT Menu it makes a huge difference, that said as I play it mostly at night I rarely get to wind it up so it's a pair of Sennheisers that do for most of the time.

I reckon even a cheap 5.1 would make a big difference. Now all I wouldlike is a Fannatec setup with a racing seat. :)

There are some really neat touches like moving the sound from front, centre or back depending on FF MR or RR cars.
 
Last edited:
Back