I feel sorry for people who play the game with TV's default speakers.

  • Thread starter Thread starter hot_cheese
  • 71 comments
  • 6,365 views
the game's dynamic seems to be a bit problematic. Like at every low-freq beat other freqs are muted for a second. I'm using Z5500 so it has to be the game itself.
 
I feel sorry for the people who don't have 22.2 . Google it.
 
Mhh this thread makes me to buy some cheap 5.1 system... Just took a short look in Amazon and found the Onkyo SKS HT 528 5.1 wich have 4 1/2 star rating and it costs "only" 150,-€... Anything cheaper out there?

I dont know anything about how to connect the PS3 to it. Do I have 5.1 sound with PS3 games and Blu-Rays with the Onkyo SKS HT 528 5.1 ??

If it has an HDMI input and output you are pretty much halfway there. Just make sure that all your speakers are setup correctly. Now in your PS3 go to audio and select manual, choose HDMI, then proceed to choose what audio to output via HDMI. LCPCM 2.0 should be on by default.

Make sure you know what your receiver supports else you can seriously damage your speakers. If your receiver supports Dolby Digital and DTS, then you are pretty much good for the vast majority of PS3 games.

Select on the PS3 sound menu Audio Output
then select HDMI then do this
Select Manual, not Automatic
Now deselect everything you can, there should be only two things you cannot change which are LCPM 2.0 44.1kHz and 48kHz(CD and DVD quality audio)

Now select based on your prior check of your receiver capabilities
Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch.
DTS 5.1 Ch. unless you have a 7.1 speaker setup, choose the appropriate speaker amount.
Now also select Linear PCM 5.1 44.4kHz and Linear PCM 5.1 48kHz, you select these in the event your receiver cannot handle the stream coming from the PS3, LCPCM will be readable by any receiver.
Be careful what you enable you do not want to damage your equipment. Now after the settings are saved, restart your PS3. Now on your receiver you should set it to auto detect incoming stream and play accordingly, this should ensure that the receiver will output the flag that the PS3 sends to it.

If you aren't sure about any of this, just go the easy route
Sound->Audio Output->HDMI->Automatic and then save, simple as pie!



I feel sorry for the people who don't have 22.2 . Google it.

Yea, no one can actually afford that for their home, unless you are filthy rich. 11.1 is affordable to those with more money than sense though...that's what you get in the movie theaters. 7.1 is the limit for in home gaming and movies, anything beyond that is a waste as no one encodes games or movies that way yet.
 
Last edited:
Wow ok I have to buy an receiver too? Ok then it´s getting too expensive... I thought I´m done with that set for 150€... I can´t use it loud anyway because of my parents and neighbors... So I think I get an Fanatec wheel and later maybe an HD beamer... Must be a very nice experience to race on an 2 x 2 meters "screen" :)

Thanks for your help dude!
 
I use the setup in my Sig sounds fantastic (apart from the music taste).. I havent heard the game through TV speakers but as with everything (usually) you get what you pay for!
 
Wow ok I have to buy an receiver too? Ok then it´s getting too expensive... I thought I´m done with that set for 150€... I can´t use it loud anyway because of my parents and neighbors... So I think I get an Fanatec wheel and later maybe an HD beamer... Must be a very nice experience to race on an 2 x 2 meters "screen" :)

Thanks for your help dude!

The 5.1 should be a receiver, that is the only way it will be able to decode the signals sent via HDMI or Optical. Check your equipments for inputs and outputs, HDMI offers a streamlined all in one approach. Optical creates a caveat in hook ups as you have to do it correctly to avoid audio "pop".

My system is about 2 years old and it's a Sony 1000w system, pretty ok for what I want, but I really want to get one the more expensive systems that allow me to play LCPCM 192kHz, true sound.
 
Logitech Z5500 is a good alternative to a cheap HTIB setup, it has built-in DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding and sounds awesome - for the price, mind you.
 
The low end is significantly increased as well. I'm guessing a great deal of the complaining is from people who don't realize there is dynamic compression on by default.


Hmmmm... Now you've got me really excited to go home and change these settings. I saw that setting, but for some reason I never looked at the other options. My home theater already shakes my glass shelves when certain cars are at idle, so I can't wait to see what it'll do now.
 
I think that those that dont have a decent sound system are really missing out and maybe thats why they complain about the sounds. I have an average 5.1 setup and I cringe when Im at someone else place listening to TV speakers. TVs make great picture, they do no make great sound. I have never heard a TV and been impressed.

You should see a Bang & Olufsen TV then
 
Mhh this thread makes me to buy some cheap 5.1 system... Just took a short look in Amazon and found the Onkyo SKS HT 528 5.1 wich have 4 1/2 star rating and it costs "only" 150,-€... Anything cheaper out there?

I dont know anything about how to connect the PS3 to it. Do I have 5.1 sound with PS3 games and Blu-Rays with the Onkyo SKS HT 528 5.1 ??

Keep your eye on craigslist I gave away my old altec lansing 5.1, but it was a very hot item. I think u can find good used deals out there. My Denon receiver was $2000 range new picked it up for $600. No HDMI, but color component and optical sound are easily comparable. Speakers were used also, but excellent condition.
 
I feel sorry for the starving children of world, but not for people without 5.1.

We at GT Planet can setup a charity for those without 5.1 Surround Sound systems. If you're a hardship case just surviving on a big screen HD TV without a 5.1 surround sound receiver and speaker set we will donate a surround sound system to you.

Please send donations to me and I will make sure the needy can play GT5 in true 5.1 Surround Sound.
 
Back