I forgot how fun Shuffle is...

• Thread starter soap_hand
  • 61 comments
I am pretty convinced they removed it to make it impossible to drive the cars you don't have. As a result making you buy their audaciously expensive credits. A dick move by whoever pushed the microtransaction(macro really) ripoff.

You assume too much my friend. I'm not poo-pooing shuffle at all, just offering up my honest opinion. It's good, it's fun, but like a lot of GT it has unrealized potential for greatness with just some small tweaking. I shuffled quite a bit the last year of GT and was in well run shuffle rooms when I did so. One thing you learn when you drive a ton of cars like I did in GT5 was that every car has a limit of performance and many of them are seconds apart when tuned, and further apart when not tuned, often due to poor stock gearboxes and balance/rotation issues. I did enjoy many shuffle races but it was always frustrating to be the guy ending up in the Aristo when 7 other guys ended up in Impreza's, Evo's and Elises. A very bad driver in an Elise or Impreza will waltz away from a very good driver in an Aristo any day :lol:

Qualifying..not available in shuffle.

Wouldn't this be more a function of accurate PP, or rather because the PP system is unfunctional?

I'll never get why stuff like this is so popular. To me, running random stock cars is about the most boring thing one could do on one of these games. In Forza, they have a custom stock hopper racing that everyone raves about. The Shuffle races sound alot like that. First, I hate any system that tells me what I'm going to race and where I'm going to race. I like picking my own cars and tracks if I'm hosting. Second, is all the people who falsely believe that running stock cars shows true skill. No, it just shows the skill for those who have taken the time to learn how those stock cars drive and those who learn how to drive ill handling cars. If all you ever do is drive stock tuned cars, just like a personal tune, you eventually learn how to get the most out of that stock tune.

I guess I get that it's simple and easy and quick. If that's what's important to people then fair enough. But to me that's just playing half the game.

Wouldn't this be more a function of accurate PP, or rather because the PP system is unfunctional?

The PP-values are off for a lot of cars, but PPs can never deliver an even spread of cars on any track. PPs should reflect a car's laptime on an "average" circuit, but apparently are currently calculated by a formula only. But even if you had such optimal PP-values for each car, you could not expect the cars to be even on High Speed Ring and Autumn Ring at the same time.

The PP-values are off for a lot of cars, but PPs can never deliver an even spread of cars on any track. PPs should reflect a car's laptime on an "average" circuit, but apparently are currently calculated by a formula only. But even if you had such optimal PP-values for each car, you could not expect the cars to be even on High Speed Ring and Autumn Ring at the same time.

Well sure it can, as it should in theory (GT6) as it does in real life (balance of performance). The system needs to factor in more than just power and weight to actually be usable.

I am not the quickest around but I can drive OK. I'm not bad at TT but not super fast. I would win a race or two in an open lobby.

I started to race with a club and I am useless at tuning. I've read all the tuning tips but I still struggle big time. One make races no tuning and I could keep mid field and I would be happy.

Shuffle racing, now that was different. Yes it is luck with the car but it's the same for everyone. I actually won a couple of races against some serious quick guys.

I know I'm not in their class in any way but you know what I still won a race or two. It gives you some hope of a win and like many sports where handicaps are used it actually makes it a challenge for everyone.

Didn't have racing softs in shuffle.
You think racing soft tires makes for less Turn One Drama?
:confused:

Second, is all the people who falsely believe that running stock cars shows true skill. No, it just shows the skill for those who have taken the time to learn how those stock cars drive and those who learn how to drive ill handling cars. If all you ever do is drive stock tuned cars, just like a personal tune, you eventually learn how to get the most out of that stock tune.

So I guess there is no test of skill at all. In any set up.
:lol:

:boggled: :lol:

Because it's always going to be who practices what, or who tunes the best, or who spends the most time on tuning, or who likes a particular type of car... or what upgrades are allowed, or if the people know the car stock, or if whatever...

I guess there's no point to race at all. :sly:

I'm just kidding here.
Obviously this is a matter of personal opinion & taste about what's a challenge and what's fun.
But of course nobody can ever admit that what they like isn't "The Only Right Thing".

*Sigh*

Thing is, out of the entire grid of racers, at least 2 will get "dud"cars so there's a match for everybody. People who get a good car don't have it that easy to stay on the front as the people with a killer tune and car because more people will have competitive cars. And if the person with a good car isn't a very skilled player or he doesn't know said car very well, the guy in the dud car still has a better chance than a guy with a bad tune.

I agree that the cars end up spreading out a lot but it's like having various smaller battles around the track instead of one guy who pulls 10 seconds ahead everytime and the rest of the field just hopelessly trying to catch up.

Ah so it's it's not in GT6...that's why I couldn't find it.

I agree with you completely.

I'll never get why stuff like this is so popular. To me, running random stock cars is about the most boring thing one could do on one of these games. In Forza, they have a custom stock hopper racing that everyone raves about. The Shuffle races sound alot like that. First, I hate any system that tells me what I'm going to race and where I'm going to race. I like picking my own cars and tracks if I'm hosting. Second, is all the people who falsely believe that running stock cars shows true skill. No, it just shows the skill for those who have taken the time to learn how those stock cars drive and those who learn how to drive ill handling cars. If all you ever do is drive stock tuned cars, just like a personal tune, you eventually learn how to get the most out of that stock tune.

I guess I get that it's simple and easy and quick. If that's what's important to people then fair enough. But to me that's just playing half the game.

Driving skill is driving skill. If you need a specific car or tune, you have narrowed your skill profile. To borrow your comment: 'No, it just shows the skills for those who have taken the time to learn how to drive cars that are tuned to death and handle the same." And need racing softs.

I am planning on joining you all, in GT5 my profile is KOR_Kaine. I miss my shuffle.

Driving skill is driving skill. If you need a specific car or tune, you have narrowed your skill profile. To borrow your comment: 'No, it just shows the skills for those who have taken the time to learn how to drive cars that are tuned to death and handle the same." And need racing softs.

I am planning on joining you all, in GT5 my profile is KOR_Kaine. I miss my shuffle.

You think racing soft tires makes for less Turn One Drama?
:confused:

So I guess there is no test of skill at all. In any set up.

:boggled: :lol:

Because it's always going to be who practices what, or who tunes the best, or who spends the most time on tuning, or who likes a particular type of car... or what upgrades are allowed, or if the people know the car stock, or if whatever...

I guess there's no point to race at all. :sly:

I'm just kidding here.
Obviously this is a matter of personal opinion & taste about what's a challenge and what's fun.
But of course nobody can ever admit that what they like isn't "The Only Right Thing".

*Sigh*

Sometimes I just love the sim racing crowd. Seems they want to sim everything BUT what real race drivers do and think. You've both have made my point with your responses. Driving skill is driving skill. That much is correct. But that's not what I said. I said it was flawed to think that one way shows more skill than the other. Seems people take offense to that which probably means it was dead on accurate.

The racing soft thing I guess is supposed to be some kind of shot at me because I dared question the stock elitism (excuses). It seems to be that many here believe that only noobs run racing tires. Personally, I see it as completely opposite. I have never watched a real race of any importance where drivers are struggling for grip on crappy street tires and drifting corners. Just doesn't happen. The driving I see done by virtual drivers with race tires on is so much closer to what I see real drivers doing in real races it's shouldn't even be a discussion. Much less all the corner drifting I see in the TT's. Yes some of that is to do with SRF being on....but alot of it is the silly tires that invite you to powerslide the corners.

I said it was flawed to think that one way shows more skill than the other. Seems people take offense to that which probably means it was dead on accurate.
Yes, yes it is flawed to think that anything is more "skill" than another, just because whatever...

There are so many factors involved, that absolutely no type of racing, especially individually, 100% showcases one person's "general" skill level.
In any given race, there is an element of luck - some instances more than others - but there is always a portion of it.
In any type of race, with any type of cars, or any type of tires (including racing softs), there's the practice in that particular type that comes into play.
Is practicing part of skill? Yes and no, depending on what you're looking at & how. People can even argue about that.
I have never watched a real race of any importance where drivers are struggling for grip on crappy street tires and drifting corners. Just doesn't happen.
I think In Real Life this would be quite dangerous.

In the game, the big difference is that you drive knowing all the while you will never suffer death, injury, lacerations, brain damage, or death by fire.
This crucial difference makes the game and real racing never to be accurately compared to any significant degree.
Nobody can deny this.

Sometimes I just love the sim racing crowd. Seems they want to sim everything BUT what real race drivers do and think. You've both have made my point with your responses. Driving skill is driving skill. That much is correct. But that's not what I said. I said it was flawed to think that one way shows more skill than the other. Seems people take offense to that which probably means it was dead on accurate.

The racing soft thing I guess is supposed to be some kind of shot at me because I dared question the stock elitism (excuses). It seems to be that many here believe that only noobs run racing tires. Personally, I see it as completely opposite. I have never watched a real race of any importance where drivers are struggling for grip on crappy street tires and drifting corners. Just doesn't happen. The driving I see done by virtual drivers with race tires on is so much closer to what I see real drivers doing in real races it's shouldn't even be a discussion. Much less all the corner drifting I see in the TT's. Yes some of that is to do with SRF being on....but alot of it is the silly tires that invite you to powerslide the corners.

I like how you bemoan some perceived close-minded elitist attitude and then go on to describe the world as viewed from your own little box. Quite bizarre.

I don't know what argument your post is supposed to be a response to, because nobody is claiming racing Shuffle or stock cars in general is somehow superior outright. If anything, the opposite was being implied.

Besides, who says people who race Shuffle want to be like "real racing drivers" in the first place? Nonsense. We just want to have fun.

Look, I don't have anything against racing soft tires, and I'm not part of a 'sim racing crowd'. I sit down a couple nights a week and run some laps. I wouldn't have wanted to climb into the car in my avatar on street tires. There are different skill sets, I think it's better to learn varying styles and adapt, and not be afraid to lose. Are you afraid to lose?

I enjoy finding out just how far a car on street tires can be pushed as well, and feeling the differences in handling from car to car before changing the setup to make it faster. If you want to simulate high grip racing, no problem, I like that too. That's it. It's not a versus situation, I made my comment because this thread is for shuffle and not about one thing being perceived to be superior to another.

Most definitly it's a function of the PP system but there are other issues and there are work-arounds. Just giving Shuffle hosts many of the same parameters to work with as any other lobby host, would fix many of them. 4wd's too fast at 420PP? No problem, toggle 4wd's off. Elise's too fast at a given PP? No problem, toggle MR's off. Mix of tires at 400 PP? No problem, toggle on SH for everyone. Want everyone in a 4wd...toggle on only 4wd's. IMO these small changes that are already in the game would make it dramatically better.

Spent last night from 19:00 till 22:30 Shuffling in GT5. I was hosting, had a full room of 12 much of the time, & plenty of awesome racing action. The OP is right, it's easy to forget just how much fun it is! :D

I actually never tried shuffle in GT5, but because of the threads in here about it beeing missed in GT6, I decided to give it a try tonight.
Entered a couple of guys who were shuffling at the Nordschleife. Manage to get 2nd in first race in a Viper, and demolished them in the second race with a GT-R V-spec. In the third race I got a IS-F, and one of the other got a GT-R. I just assumed that I would be battling with the other guy for second place but...after Schwedenkreuz both of the other just left, after one of them had spun out, and I had blew past the GT-R on the straight leading up to Schwedenkreuz.

Kind of disappointing.

With that said, I'm really up for some shufflerace Saturdays :-) Especially since 7:00pm GMT would be at 20:00...the same time my son is watching cartoons before bedtime :-)
During my XXX amount of hours playing GT6, I have never had such a high pulse than when we were battling in the first shufflerace I raced tonight.

So what's it like going back to GT 5 after 6?

Pretty seamless? Or jarring?

Literally, I never even heard about shuffle mode until GT 6 and all the people complaining it was missing...

Literally, I never even heard about shuffle mode until GT 6 and all the people complaining it was missing...

I go back to GT5 on a weekly basis ... (IMHO) it gives you more feel about the improved physics in GT6 ...

First time, I noticed how simple the physics model seemed in comparison to GT6. Apart from that; GT5 has better frame rates, looks better graphically because of better Anit-Aliasing, & Shuffle was a lot of fun too. No bugs when viewing the replays afterwards either. Menu's are slower, but that never bothered me much anyway.

I think GT6 physics are superior, but GT5 is the far better game overall at this point in time imo. I may change my mind after a year or so of GT6 updates though.

VBR
First time, I noticed how simple the physics model seemed in comparison to GT6. Apart from that; GT5 has better frame rates, looks better graphically because of better Anit-Aliasing, & Shuffle was a lot of fun too. No bugs when viewing the replays afterwards either. Menu's are slower, but that never bothered me much anyway.

I think GT6 physics are superior, but GT5 is the far better game overall at this point in time imo. I may change my mind after a year or so of GT6 updates though.
I was wondering just that, thanks. About looking better, GT 5 also seems to have deeper color contrasts from the compare videos... I think that "50% increase in contrast and HDR" GT 6 advertised is likely only in photo mode...

I'll boot it up later. I've never had much issue with loading and menus in GT 5 after 2.0, and frankly its a much better design than GT 6 aesthetically.

In all my years of gaming, this might be the first time I've gone backwards with a game, but it's for a lot more reasons than shuffle...

One thing that could improve/replace shuffle would be to allow the player to select the type of car they wanted to drive, and let the game match you with players of similar car types and skill.

For example GT3 cars sorted by what license you have achived within precentage of game completed. The game would then queue up a predetermined number of drivers and send them to the venue they selected.
Tires to match the catagory of car you selected. Boom.................basically a quick match like BF4 or COD.

In order for it to work, PD would have to do a hell of a lot better job of catagorizing cars.

So what do we think the chances are that PD will patch shuffle into GT6? 50%? More / less?

As their customer relations is so poor, & as a result we have absolutely no response from them whatsoever, it's anyone's guess.

Back