I hate ovals

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 44 comments
  • 3,616 views
Messages
421
Messages
Brainhulk
USA online has daytona superspeedway almost every other room. While I don't mind doing them to grind. It kinda sucks trying to find online races in the USA region having to wade through all the damn oval rooms.

I tried switching to other regions but the connection strength just sucks. Do you guys think over time the connection strength to international regions will improve later?

sorry, just venting.
 
Start your own room with everything except ovals?
 
I would expect some decline in the oval's after February if Nascar 2011 turns out to be a good product. Should offer a strong option for Nascar racing fans for online play based on what I've read on it so far.
 
I haven't noticed ovals as Nascar. Every other race is see is nascar.
 
At least throw in a random Daytona or Indy Road Course. Break up the monotony. For how many rooms there are with ovals, you would think that people would good at them. Yeah, no. Maybe the people in those rooms ingested more than their Recommended Daily Allowance of Vagisil®.
 
I played a lot of PGR2 on Xbox Live back when the game was popular, and everyone wanted to race on the simplest, most-oval-like track ("KGB Corner," I believe it was called) with the fastest cars. It's just the way online racing works in a mainstream game.

The solution was always to do as nerv2112 said, and start your own room. If it becomes infested with X2010-driving, oval-loving hoons, pick the Nürburgring Nordschleife. They'll clear out (probably calling you "nice names" while doing so), and you'll know whoever stays is someone worth racing. Play for a few rounds, and other people sick of immature rooms will have a chance to spot yours and join in. 👍
 
pick the Nürburgring Nordschleife, and you'll know whoever stays is someone worth racing.

This pretty much.

When the server is full put on the ring, and at the end of a lap or two you'll find yourself alongside people worth racing.
 
USA online has daytona superspeedway almost every other room. While I don't mind doing them to grind. It kinda sucks trying to find online races in the USA region having to wade through all the damn oval rooms.

I tried switching to other regions but the connection strength just sucks. Do you guys think over time the connection strength to international regions will improve later?

sorry, just venting.

I have never understood - and probably never will - what all the fuss is about on those stupid, boring, crappy oval tracks. I fall asleep after 2 freakin' laps!
 
USA online has daytona superspeedway almost every other room. While I don't mind doing them to grind. It kinda sucks trying to find online races in the USA region having to wade through all the damn oval rooms.

I tried switching to other regions but the connection strength just sucks. Do you guys think over time the connection strength to international regions will improve later?

sorry, just venting.

You could try looking at the GT5 Online section of ths forum for races in your region that do not have these tracks, or alternatively starting your own series / races and then put up an advert in this section so other people from your area can join you??
 
USA online has daytona superspeedway almost every other room. While I don't mind doing them to grind. It kinda sucks trying to find online races in the USA region having to wade through all the damn oval rooms.

I tried switching to other regions but the connection strength just sucks. Do you guys think over time the connection strength to international regions will improve later?

sorry, just venting.

haha

Yeah, it seems that 90% of the online rooms are Daytona and nordshliefe(sp)! :dopey:
 
I have never understood - and probably never will - what all the fuss is about on those stupid, boring, crappy oval tracks. I fall asleep after 2 freakin' laps!
That's because you've never driven one in real life in a race.
 
That's because you've never driven one in real life in a race.

We're not talking about real life. It's a video game. Taking away 90% of the things you normally have to occupy your mind with does not make a more interesting video game for a lot of us.
 
The only kind of room where I see a lot of speedways are free run rooms. I don't like ovals myself, but I don't have a problem finding road courses.

In all honestly though, GT5 is the first GT game that made ovals interesting. However, it then preceded to ruin them again with super drafting and the downright evil Indy Grind. I've literally fallen asleep driving Indy Speedway.
 
The only kind of room where I see a lot of speedways are free run rooms. I don't like ovals myself, but I don't have a problem finding road courses.

In all honestly though, GT5 is the first GT game that made ovals interesting. However, it then preceded to ruin them again with super drafting and the downright evil Indy Grind. I've literally fallen asleep driving Indy Speedway.

Been there, done that :D
 
Join some European races, problem solved. :)
 
I have to say that I am not an Oval fan as well. I do not see the point in them.

Imo it has not much to do with racing, but fitting racing into a stadium so you can sell more tickets and market the thing better.

It has not much to do with real motorsport. Sure you have setups and really good drivers, but I really cannot respect Dale Earnhardt in the same way I respect Sebastian Loeb.

Nascar is like Footbal for carnuts. You go to the stadium, get your food and your drinks and then you watch the game.

The track layout is as simple as it possibly can get. The only way to make it even more simple is getting rid of the corners completely and just drive in a straight line. Oh wait, we have that too. Drag Racing!!

Well, actually I think Drag Racing is quite fun, simply because it is amazing from an engineering point of view.

But, Nascar... meh. Sit a Nascar driver in a rallycar and drive a fast, narrow rally stage in sweden or finnlad. I am pretty sure he would **** his pants.

Propably, just like this:





Ok, ok, ok, that was mean and I am sorry. But I couldn´t resist. :)
 
I love the ignorance of the community; it shines through once again. Why are all the top named drivers in world motorsport switching to NASCAR? I dont know really. SInce you all are off topic... OP just make your own room, I love NASCAR, but any repetition can get tiring.



I'm sure if you stuck a rally drive in a stock car he would s*it his pants. I cant wait til February!

Point is ALL Motorsports have their boring and exciting parts, thats whats to love. Personally Ill watch anything that involves racing from horse racing to triathlons. I just dislike people who base opinions on false knowledge of a subject.
 
Last edited:
I love the ignorance of the community; it shines through once again. Why are all the top named drivers in world motorsport switching to NASCAR? I dont know really. SInce you all are off topic... OP just make your own room, I love NASCAR, but any repetition can get tiring.

All of them??

Wow! Maybe I'll get a seat in Formula1 Next season, better get me name down with Red Bull...
 
I love the ignorance of the community; it shines through once again. Why are all the top named drivers in world motorsport switching to NASCAR?


Hmm, money?

Anyway, there is no need to discuss this. Its like discussing if pizza or cheesburgers are better. its just a matter of taste, and especially a matter of what you are used to.

If I had grown up with Nascar I would propably love it. :)

But to me, Rally drivers are the kings. I can´t think of any other form of motorsport that requires similar skills. You have different road surfaces, tarmac, dirt, snow, dry, wet, mud anything. long stages so you can´t remember every corner. No safety zones, just trees. THAT to me is simply amazing.

Its THIS (fast forward to the 1:00 mark. Just amazing):



VS



THIS:

 
Hmm, money?

Anyway, there is no need to discuss this. Its like discussing if pizza or cheesburgers are better. its just a matter of taste, and especially a matter of what you are used to.

If I had grown up with Nascar I would propably love it. :)

But to me, Rally drivers are the kings. I can´t think of any other form of motorsport that requires similar skills. You have different road surfaces, tarmac, dirt, snow, dry, wet, mud anything. long stages so you can´t remember every corner. No safety zones, just trees. THAT to me is simply amazing.

Its THIS (fast forward to the 1:00 mark. Just amazing):

I like your honesty. Like I said I love all motorsports, I was brought up around indy cars and NASCAR but im sure if F1 was more popular here Id enjoy that more. Pikes Peak is a bit of a monster for sure. But the surface of Daytona should be considered gravel, it is TERRIBLE! They just repaved it though. Kind of sad.
 
That's because you've never driven one in real life in a race.

I agree with you FireEmblem unless you have done it (raced) or witnessed NASCAR or any oval track racing you cannot appreciate it. I've watched all types of racing in person from old bomber class cars (pos with a roll cage) to Sprint cars (winged beast in a power-slide), Outlaws and Grand National cars on dirt tracks from Hawaii, Georgia, North Carolina to South carolina and it's all good.

I witnessed Richard Petty and Bobby Allison battle it out at Columbia Speedway when I was a kid and watched in person NASCAR in the modern era too. I visited Darlington when Jeff Gordon won a couple of years ago with a overheating steaming Chevy (car would not blow up). I've watched 43 Raging Maniacs on the razor's edge hurling down turn 4 at over 180 MPH at Charlotte, let me tell you there's nothing like it, the power is like thunder in you chest and the sweet smell of spent racing fuel is unforgettable. Maybe one day I can attend an F1 event or even an Indy race.

My point is all racing is good, whether it's a drag strip, an oval or a track with 20 turns, enjoy it all...or don't.
 
I agree with you FireEmblem unless you have done it (raced) or witnessed NASCAR or any oval track racing you cannot appreciate it. I've watched all types of racing in person from old bomber class cars (pos with a roll cage) to Sprint cars (winged beast in a power-slide), Outlaws and Grand National cars on dirt tracks from Hawaii, Georgia, North Carolina to South carolina and it's all good.

I witnessed Richard Petty and Bobby Allison battle it out at Columbia Speedway when I was a kid and watched in person NASCAR in the modern era too. I visited Darlington when Jeff Gordon won a couple of years ago with a overheating steaming Chevy (car would not blow up). I've watched 43 Raging Maniacs on the razor's edge hurling down turn 4 at over 180 MPH at Charlotte, let me tell you there's nothing like it, the power is like thunder in you chest and the sweet smell of spent racing fuel is unforgettable. Maybe one day I can attend an F1 event or even an Indy race.

My point is all racing is good, whether it's a drag strip, an oval or a track with 20 turns, enjoy it all...or don't.


Hear, Hear! Very well said :)
 
in english rooms the oval tracks arnt anywhere.
 
I like your honesty. Like I said I love all motorsports, I was brought up around indy cars and NASCAR but im sure if F1 was more popular here Id enjoy that more. Pikes Peak is a bit of a monster for sure. But the surface of Daytona should be considered gravel, it is TERRIBLE! They just repaved it though. Kind of sad.

Money and probably some popularity, unfortunately, inside the US, all we get, mostly, is NASCAR, whether we want it or not, so I'm willing to bet, the lions share of Americans, myself included, cannot name one Rally driver without looking one up on the internet. And the driver in GT5 does not count, lol
 
Nascar is quite popular and while I am not a Nascar fan I must admit that Nascar racing on Daytona is intense and fun and I actually enjoy it more in GT5 than any other game. If only they had the yellow flags.

Given a choice I would choose DTM on Nurburgring though :)
 
It is bizarre, I came to nascar backwards, I am a huge F1 fan, indy cars lesser watch whatever rally I can find (and I can name at least 1 other driver maybe 2 if I thought about it, hard to find rally on tv in the states). Also watch DTM and whatever that Australian V8 series is and pretty much any racing I can find.

But I have always been a huge motocross fan, and because of Ricky Carmichael I started watching the truck series and later the nationwide series and while I would still say that F1 is my favorite race series, I at least understand the how's and why's of Nascar did make doing the challenges on GT5 easier for sure. So I would say in the last year I have developed an appreciation for Nascar and we all have to admit they might have the most spectacular mass destruction of the major series, very few 18 car pileups in F1.
 
I'm also a fan of NASCAR, I was just posting a solution, just in case someone got my last post here wrong. ;)
 
Nascar racing on mostly ovals is all about speed and endurance.

Its very hard to get the perspective of speed and competition without attending one personally.

If, as I have pointed out before, you can ever attend a Cup race at a mile and a half track particularly like Lowes (Charlotte) you would never feel that way again.
The cars are unrestricted at those tracks and run right at 190mph. It is truly an amazing spectacle. 3500lb boxcars on the edge at those speeds for 500 miles. (600mis at the spring race)

Thats why there are so many mile and a half tracks and the attendance is so high.

Daytona and Talledega are exciting mainly because the cars are restricted and all run together. But the track is huge, a mile longer than Lowes and they only run 10 mph faster.
 
Judging purely on GT5's depiction of oval racing, it's not fun. I'm sure it's more exciting in real-life but in the game it bores me to sleep. I think the problem is that the AI aren't good enough for a close race and there aren't enough cars on the track. The NASCAR aspect of the game is not represented well enough to be enjoyable for me. Hopefully PD will be able to improve this aspect in future GT games because I'm willing to give oval racing a second chance if it proves to be fun in future GT's, but at the moment it just sends me to sleep.
 
I can't understand why some people hate (It's another thing to dislike) Daytona and Indy, I've had some of my best races there (Mostly at Daytona, though). But then again, I'm American and support NASCAR. I like to go fast. :sly:
 
Back