I hate ovals

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brainhulk
  • 44 comments
  • 3,616 views
I love the ignorance of the community; it shines through once again. Why are all the top named drivers in world motorsport switching to NASCAR? I dont know really. SInce you all are off topic... OP just make your own room, I love NASCAR, but any repetition can get tiring.



I'm sure if you stuck a rally drive in a stock car he would s*it his pants. I cant wait til February!

Point is ALL Motorsports have their boring and exciting parts, thats whats to love. Personally Ill watch anything that involves racing from horse racing to triathlons. I just dislike people who base opinions on false knowledge of a subject.


That video was not exciting at all. And you're telling me it takes more balls to drive in a round circuit than uneven gravel that you have NEVER driven on and are just following your co-driver's directions? Please man. It's one thing to defend something you like, it's another to talk out of your ass.
 
I don't think either driver would trade, I can't imagine nascar guys really being comfortable first time on gravel at speeds over 120mph and trusting someone for directions. I wouldn't expect WRC racers to be comfortable driving 500 miles near 200mph trusting the guys on all sides of you to not do something stupid.

I think defending for defending sake is silly, racing is racing, you don't have to enjoy it all but I for one respect pretty much all disciplines and won't slam any of them.
 
in english rooms the oval tracks arnt anywhere.

I doubt there are many English rooms playing American Football, either. You tend to go with what you know, and unfamiliarity with other sports makes you look down on them, because you miss the subtleties you recognize in familiar sports. Not too many Yanks get soccer. Does that make it a bad sport?
 


Some of you have absolutely no idea how challenging, but fun that it is. ^ Going 190-200 MPH inches apart, constantly having to look at your rear view mirror (literally every second or two) finding the way to get to the front at the best time possible using teamwork (bump drafting) having your spotter continuously telling you if you're clear or not and what car number is there above and below you. One mistake, and you could cause a huge wreck ending many other driver's/team's race. While doing so, when having to pit every 20 laps or so (if the race stays under green flag that long, that is). And that is 500 miles around Daytona and Talledega Superspeedway. (Only those two tracks, because of restrictor plates)

This is just a summary of it, there's much more detail to it, and strategies you can use throughout the race.



It's not easy, not one bit at all.

-Just sayin'-
 
Reason NASCAR+Ovals is so popular is because it is the fastest way to gain large amounts of cr/xp. Daytona takes about 40 secs a lap in NASCAR, so you can still do like 75 laps in a hour and get tons of cash and experience. Not to mention NASCAR is probably the hardest type of racing in the game, I mean when your bumper to bumper and one wrong move can send you flying. Also, not to mention its the only type of racing where racers use teamwork to get through or ahead.
 
I love the ignorance of the community; it shines through once again. Why are all the top named drivers in world motorsport switching to NASCAR? I dont know really. SInce you all are off topic... OP just make your own room, I love NASCAR, but any repetition can get tiring.



I'm sure if you stuck a rally drive in a stock car he would s*it his pants. I cant wait til February!

Point is ALL Motorsports have their boring and exciting parts, thats whats to love. Personally Ill watch anything that involves racing from horse racing to triathlons. I just dislike people who base opinions on false knowledge of a subject.


I fell asleep watching this. It is a disgrace to Motor sport in the U.S. I can't have a decent conversation with someone about cars without them asking me if a like NASCAR. I will say that the actual classic proper NASCAR during the 70's was some what interesting, but sorry driving around in a circle period is boring. There is such a thing as right you know?

.....rant over
 
Nascar racing on mostly ovals is all about speed and endurance.
.....
I would also add Nascar on ovals is about door to door racing. There is a lot of passing and fighting for position in Nascar.
 
I fell asleep watching this. It is a disgrace to Motor sport in the U.S. I can't have a decent conversation with someone about cars without them asking me if a like NASCAR. I will say that the actual classic proper NASCAR during the 70's was some what interesting, but sorry driving around in a circle period is boring. There is such a thing as right you know?

.....rant over

Some people don't find it boring. A lot of people actually. This fact seems to really make people upset for some reason I cannot figure out. NASCAR actually has some road courses BTW and it is really interesting the drivers who are good at them usually are not the ones good on ovals.

I saw a NASCAR race years ago this guy Harry Gant had a super fast car that kept getting bashed into and sent to the back of the pack. He managed to pull his trashed car to the front several times to take the win with a car that the front end was basically duct-taped together. It seemed like the more damage it took the faster he got. That was exciting to me! Even the other teams were cheering him on by the end.

Oh well some people just hate NASCAR so much they won't even give it a chance weather it's because it's an American sport or they think only red necks with gun racks watch it. I bet most have not even watched a real race on tv let alone in person.
 
I find Daytona and Talladega boring (just sitting around waiting for the inevitable "big one"). Now, Bristol and Martinsville is real oval track racing.
 
I don't get nascar. But I'm not gonna call you names for liking it.
I agree that growing up with things makes you more into them, what I don't agree with / believe, is that most, if any at all, top F1 drivers are switching from F1 racing to nascar.
I don't know how famous and rich top nascar drivers get, but top F1 drivers sure aren't living the hard life. So I don't even know if money could be a reason.
But anyway, I wanted to share this pikes peak video i found today. It's a lot newer than the other pikes peak video in here, so give it a try :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y3OFf0ArU

edit:
Errr... How do I embed youtube videos?
All I get is this:

 
Last edited:
I watched a race live in Bristol once. Oddly it was the most boring race I have saw. No lead changes and no crashes and on top of that the driver I was pulling for went out early with a mechanical failure. All I really got out of it was a king size headache.

I have also been to Thunder Valley several times to watch the drag races and those were rather good. Especially the top fuel cars but even the modified street was good. It was funny though when they switched classes. Nothing like seeing a Corvair struggling to get 100mph after watching top fuel cars hitting over 300mph. Seems like the slow cars aren't even moving.
 
The point of NASCAR and the oval layout is close, high-speed racing that everyone has an easy time watching. And it is indeed intense, most definitely requiring skill and endurance.

Still doesn't make a bunch of left turns with little variance in speed as compelling as "proper" racing, IMO. It's like Top Fuel drag racing -- incredibly fast, incredibly dangerous...incredibly simplistic. Dissimilar (ie. interesting) cars may cut down on the "closeness," and racing on the infield of an oval (to add right-hand corners to a race the audience can still see) may cut down on the high-speed aspect, but I greatly prefer something like the Rolex 24.

Some people think there's absolutely no point to NASCAR and that its fans are all simple-minded drunkards. Other people think there's absolutely nothing wrong with NASCAR and that its detractors are all anti-american elitist bastards. Both groups are equally wrong.

I just wish it didn't dominate american motorsport attention and TV coverage. And "dominate" is an understatement. :grumpy:
 
I love the ignorance of the community; it shines through once again. Why are all the top named drivers in world motorsport switching to NASCAR?

I love the ignorance of this post. Exactly which "top named drivers" are switching to NASCAR again? Who decided which drivers are "top named drivers" in the world of motorsports again? There's easily hundreds of motorsports around the world and easily thousands of drivers, so of these exactly what percentage are coming to NASCAR and how many of them are the top of their divisions?

I mean..., Nelson Piquet Jr. went from Formula One and was supposed to be driving in NASCAR, but he wasn't a top F1 driver, or even a middle F1 driver, and went looking for a seat somewhere other than F1 because he simply lost his F1 job. Then there was Juan Pablo Montoya who drove in F1 for a while and had some modest success, but he wasn't a "top driver".

So, which top F1 drivers have went to NASCAR or at least tried to? What percentage of them would that be, again? Which top V8 Supercar drivers went to NASCAR and what percentage were those? How about BTCC? DTM? WRC? WTCC? What about from the hundreds of other motorsports and thousands of other drivers?
 
To be fair a lot of drivers in Nascar are there simply because it's popular and it's where the money is. I know a lot of them wish they could branch out to other series, but that would mean taking a huge pay cut. But this notion that all the top drivers are in Nascar, and that others would crap themselves is nonsense. I seriously doubt you could take guys like Fernando Alonso, Rober Kubica, Sebastian Loeb, and Mika Hakkinen and put them in a stock car and not have do reasonable well in a short period of time. With the exception of Mika Hakkinen, all of those guys I just mentioned would probably get out of shape driving stock cars. How many F1 guys with a gut? How many in Nascar? See my point? Bet no stock car guy could do this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBtKSGvVxw8
 
Last edited:
I'm sure if you stuck a rally drive in a stock car he would s*it his pants. I cant wait til February!

you don't respond an ignorant argument with another ignorant argument, that's not the way it works.
 
Back