I just fired up Gran Turismo 2 today on my PS3 and i thought: Hey, i want this in GT6!

• Thread starter JoseBaiona
  • 61 comments
JoseBaiona
Gran Turismo 6 is a great game, but as many great games it may have certain things missing from earlier games in the saga.

The car list in GT2 is magnificent for its time and there are some gems from it, missing in GT6. Citroen Saxo (i'd love to see it in GT6), BMW 5-series, BMW 7-series, Other Civic models, Vectors, Venturis, a Tommy Kaira ZZ3, a Jaguar XJR-15 and some others.
Also, the RUF dealership in GT2 is Insane! BTR2, BTR type 1, BTR type 2, CTR2, CTR2 Sport (This thing looks amazing, let me tell you that), CTR Yellowbird, RUF RCT, RUF TurboR. Overall, GT6 has many cars missing from the early Gran Turismos (1 and 2) and i don't even care about having them with a detailed interior.

The tuning component of GT2 is also much more complete. You can buy more wheels for your cars than in GT6, there's Stage 4 engine tuning, there's Super Soft Slicks, not every car has TC or ASM (you have to buy it). Also, every car has a Race mod option.

Pretty much, all i wanted was all the cars that are missing in GT6 from GT2.

Last edited:
Who could forget this:
latest

4 was very good, it lacked a few key things though. Multiplayer mode was a joke, no leaderboards and no damage.

For me of the older racing games the king was NFS Porsche Unleashed. In many ways it was better than past and current racing games. If only they would have continued on that path ....

4 was very good, it lacked a few key things though. Multiplayer mode was a joke, no leaderboards and no damage.

For me of the older racing games the king was NFS Porsche Unleashed. In many ways it was better than past and current racing games. If only they would have continued on that path ....

That NFS was absolutely fantastic. I remember having a mate stop by and we'd do the cops vs racers multiplayer mode. Though here in Europe it was NFS Porsche 2000. Good times..

You can play GT2 safe in the knowledge that all the polygons in the game are probably fewer than all the polygons in a Nissan Skyclone wing mirror.

All GTs before 5 had no damage, and the damage they have now is a joke. The basic setup of GT4 was miles ahead of any other installment. Today's GTs feel like arcade games in comparison. As for multiplayer & other online components, I really couldn't care less about that if the core gameplay cold be better.

The only problem with nowadays's Gran Turismos is it's easy to get money. The great aspect of the old games was to work towards a car that you wanted, to collect them and how hard it was in the beginning. You had to go up the ladder in racing.

In Gran Turismo 6 for instance, i can do a seasonal and boom, i'm rich. Other than that, the games are better than the old ones gameplay wise (people need to take the nostalgic goggles off.) I love all Gran Turismos.

The only problem with nowadays's Gran Turismos is it's easy to get money. The great aspect of the old games was to work towards a car that you wanted, to collect them and how hard it was in the beginning. You had to go up the ladder in racing.

In Gran Turismo 6 for instance, i can do a seasonal and boom, i'm rich. Other than that, the games are better than the old ones gameplay wise (people need to take the nostalgic goggles off.) I love all Gran Turismos.
It's funny because my main complaint about GT is that there is an economy at all, I'd rather have all the cars from the start and just go racing. But you do raise a good point, a lot of people still play the game mainly for the offline career and the struggle to build a good garage and work your way through to the end with limited funds. You can't do that, and enjoy the Seasonals and Time Trials because it distorts the economy of the game.

Simple solution. A separate bank account for Career Mode that contains only Career Mode prize winnings. Separate garage too. Make it mixable and matchable with all your other earnings and cars at the player's discretion. If they don't keep the Career challenging in GT7, the GT series will definitely have lost a lot of it's charm.

Last edited:
All GTs before 5 had no damage, and the damage they have now is a joke. The basic setup of GT4 was miles ahead of any other installment. Today's GTs feel like arcade games in comparison. As for multiplayer & other online components, I really couldn't care less about that if the core gameplay cold be better.
Yeah I know that the previous titles had no damage. Other games that were out before GT4 however like NFS Porsche Unleashed did have damage and a good multiplayer mode as well as more realistic physics and cockpit view.

So while I agree that GT4 was a good game it was still lacking in some key aspects compared to other games that came before it. As a single player game it gave you a ton of things to do and that was good. The A-Spec points were my favorite part as that could be a real challenge and kept me busy for quite a while but the actual racing was not nearly as good as it was on the NFS game I mentioned which was awesome for its time when playing multiplayer over a LAN.

It's funny because my main complaint about GT is that there is an economy at all, I'd rather have all the cars from the start and just go racing. But you do raise a good point, a lot of people still play the game mainly for the offline career and the struggle to build a good garage and work your way through to the end with limited funds. You can't do that, and run enjoy the Seasonals and Time Trials because it distorts the economy of the game.

Simple solution. A separate bank account for Career Mode that contains only Career Mode prize winnings. Separate garage too. Make it mixable and matchable with all your other earnings and cars at the player's discretion. If they don't keep the Career challenging in GT7, the GT series will definitely have lost a lot of it's charm.

Whole thing could do with a revamp to try & put some sole into the game. Something like pick a career path, Karts, Club Racing or Track day car come to mind as starting points, then choose your next path. Just give you the cars you need for what your racing in & use the economy to buy tuning parts & cars from series you have not entered yet if you want them before they are given to you.
This would be more immersive however unless the AI is improved & adjusts to you it still wont be involving because your Civic just went past the NSX. Also a bit more thought in adding cars is required so you have a dozen or more eligible cars for that series rather than going okay I have got this now what can I race it against. Senna content comes to mind here, another chassis maker or at least base models so everyone is not in identical looking cars would have been nice.
The other bonus to the economy only being secondary is the need to win for the bigger prize pay out is gone so grinding dies & the AI could pitch itself in an attempt to let you win around 1 in 4 races. Now you are involved & that win means something.
Don't see the need to always win its plain silly & for most people its proven online, if you keep beating the people you race against you find someone a bit faster. Sure there some that don't think this way but I think they are a tiny majority.
Freaks me out how pumped this game can get you after a good race, that alone justifies the game but we never even get a sniff of excitement in single player as it stands now.

Last edited:
I find it funny that I can easily adjust to the graphics and physics of GT2 and 4, but I struggle with 1 and 3.
2 has to be my favourite in the series, it's the game that I have the most fond memories of.
Regarding the money, I'm sure you guys remember grinding in the Red Rock Valley race that gave you the Speed 12, and another race (Tahiti?) that gave you the R30 Silhouette Formula. There's always been at least one event in every GT game where you could get easy cash.

I didn't know GT2 plays on PS3. Any one in Australia playing GT2 on their PS3?

I just tried GT3 A-Spec on my PS3 and that doesnt work.

Please tell me you're talking about the PC version, because I have the PSX version and I can tell you it is so much worse than any GT game, I had to play GT2 to flush out the horridness and my seething anger

OT: I actually ran through GT2 recently for a thing on another forum, and you know what was great, buying an 1989 Mazda Protégé Sedan, the basic FF version in gray, and then proceeding to beat all but the GTL World Championship in the thing. Also, Red Rock Valley Speedway, where in reality do you think that would be based.
I didn't know GT2 plays on PS3.

Happily, almost all PSX games should play on any PS3. PS2 was only select First-run PS3s, and they cost a lot more than the others still.

Please tell me you're talking about the PC version, because I have the PSX version and I can tell you it is so much worse than any GT game, I had to play GT2 to flush out the horridness and my seething anger

OT: I actually ran through GT2 recently for a thing on another forum, and you know what was great, buying an 1989 Mazda Protégé Sedan, the basic FF version in gray, and then proceeding to beat all but the GTL World Championship in the thing. Also, Red Rock Valley Speedway, where in reality do you think that would be based.

Happily, almost all PSX games should play on any PS3. PS2 was only select First-run PS3s, and they cost a lot more than the others still.

Ahh I see. Thanks for that!

The '89 Protege/Familia was a favorite back then 👍

Yes definitely the PC version. I've not saw it on the console but I can imagine that it is not nearly as good as what it was on the PC.

As a general rule I only play games on a console if it is a game I like and it is not available for the PC

Yes definitely the PC version. I've not saw it on the console but I can imagine that it is not nearly as good as what it was on the PC.

As a general rule I only play games on a console if it is a game I like and it is not available for the PC

As the PSX version is all I know, let me sum it up by the face I make when it's proclaimed "One of the best racing games EVAARR!!!!1!"....

thumb-serious-meme-face-1046.jpg

It's almost unplayable.

It's almost unplayable.
I do not know what the PSX version was like. I imagine the graphics were inferior to the PC version as was likely the multiplayer mode, if it even had one.

The PC version was awesome, definitely the best of its time by a long shot. It had no assists on most cars [assists were only cars that actually came from the factory with them]. The physics were very good. The damage model was better than any GT game. The used car system was very cool and the repair and part swapping was unique.

I had several copies of the game and had it installed on multiple PCs which were connected to a LAN and would have friends over for some very good racing. It also supported two player racing over a modem which my brother and I used quite a lot.

I really liked GT4, lots of tracks, lots of events, tons of cars all very good. Still multiplayer mode was very poorly done, No damage, no repair costs, no Porsches, assists like TCS, ABS and ASM available on all cars and so on.

That said GT4 was one of my favorite games. It just would have been so much better if it had a few of the features from Porsche Unleashed in there. For that matter GT5 and GT6 would be better if they had them also. Imagine running career mode in GT where there is full damage on at all times, having to pay to enter the races, having to pay to repair your cars or drive them damaged, being able to buy used cars, fix them up and sell them for a profit, having no assists on all the older cars and so on. It would be so much more challenging and fun than it is now.

... Imagine running career mode in GT where there is full damage on at all times, having to pay to enter the races, having to pay to repair your cars or drive them damaged, being able to buy used cars, fix them up and sell them for a profit, having no assists on all the older cars and so on. It would be so much more challenging and fun than it is now.

I have, and I've gone further. I was also told "NO" when suggesting it.

Imagine running career mode in GT where there is full damage on at all times, having to pay to enter the races, having to pay to repair your cars or drive them damaged, being able to buy used cars, fix them up and sell them for a profit, having no assists on all the older cars and so on. It would be so much more challenging and fun than it is now.
It's called Grid Autosport:lol:...except for the used car thing.

Back