I just fired up Gran Turismo 2 today on my PS3 and i thought: Hey, i want this in GT6!

• Thread starter JoseBaiona
  • 61 comments
I do not know what the PSX version was like. I imagine the graphics were inferior to the PC version as was likely the multiplayer mode, if it even had one.
Compared to the brand new physics and graphics engine the PC version got, the PSX version was essentially a poorly hacked apart retread of High Stakes with tire grip levels turned way down making it play a lot like one of the crappy PSX Test Drive games.

Cars had no momentum when it came to collisions, weight transfer was nonexistent, everything responded instantly to inputs (ie. everything stopped on a dime, immediately turned at the slightest turn of the wheel and launched with no fuss), damage was toned down from High Stakes, etc. Really reeked of lazy cash in.

Last edited:
Compared to the brand new physics and graphics engine the PC version got, the PSX version was essentially a poorly hacked apart retread of High Stakes with tire grip levels turned way down making it play a lot like one of the crappy PSX Test Drive games.

Cars had no momentum when it came to collisions, weight transfer was nonexistent, everything responded instantly to inputs (ie. everything stopped on a dime, immediately turned at the slightest turn of the wheel and launched with no fuss), damage was toned down from High Stakes, etc. Really reeked of lazy cash in.

That does sound bad.

I had never played high stakes until after I had played Porsche Unleashed. Both PC versions but there was a huge difference between them. High Stakes was unplayable after playing Unleashed. I also disliked the Test Drive games even on the PC. Some of them were pretty for their time, even had some cool cars and tracks but the driving was very bad. The PC version of Porsche Unleashed raised the bar quite a lot. I loved the way the cars felt, it just seemed so natural and true to life in so many ways more so than any game I had ever played before and many of those that came after fell short as well.

Someone mentioned Grid 2. I really have no idea what it may be like. I tried Grid and it definitely did not impress me. Far to arcadey and did not seem realistic at all so I did not bother to look at the second one.

So many awesome cars that haven't see the light of day in a GT series since then, 98'Toyota GT1, Saleen race car, Jag XR15, Tiasan Viper, Skyline silhouette, daishan silvia and tha lotus GT1 race car. They are just of the top of my head thats why I've probably spelt some of them wrong.
Plus all the great tracks like Red Rock valley. Great memory's.

I found Grid 2 horrible. I dont know if Im saying it correctly, but there is no progressiveness to the steering. A small input is the same as a large one. Also I did not like throttle control. It was like, no throttle, still no throttle, where is the throttle, then wham! Full throttle!

I really really miss Red Rock Valley, Midfield, Seattle, and Grindlewald.

The only problem with nowadays's Gran Turismos is it's easy to get money.
That's easy to solve, buy the most expensive car you can afford and sell it. Repeat until you get rid of the excess credits.

I don't mind if other people want to "work" or "earn" their cars, but me personally, I'd rather have all cars available from the start in arcade mode so I can focus on racing, not grinding.

Who could forget this:
latest
I remember when I first saw this playing gt2 years ago. I was on the floor laughing! Greatest thing ever!

FS7
That's easy to solve, buy the most expensive car you can afford and sell it. Repeat until you get rid of the excess credits.

I don't mind if other people want to "work" or "earn" their cars, but me personally, I'd rather have all cars available from the start in arcade mode so I can focus on racing, not grinding.

That'd be fine, but I do enjoy having to earn cars in Career/Simulation Mode/whatever you wanna call it. The fact you didn't always get a car for winning in GT and GT2 made it that much better.

Also, does anyone have a guess where Red Rock Valley would be if it existed?

You got cars awarded in GT2 a hell of a lot more frequently than in any other game in the series.
The GT League Nationals and World Championships didn't, but it seems almost every race in the Atlantic and Pacific series did, the other events I'm rusty on. The thing is, unlike GT3 and on, you'd get one for winning that race, instead of the series, a quirk I liked. You could abuse the daylights out of it too, I didn't but I don't normally rerun series anyway. I've gotten about the same amount of free cars from GT4 and 5, and I think all but three in GT6 were gifts.

The GT League Nationals and World Championships didn't, but it seems almost every race in the Atlantic and Pacific series did, the other events I'm rusty on. The thing is, unlike GT3 and on, you'd get one for winning that race, instead of the series, a quirk I liked. You could abuse the daylights out of it too, I didn't but I don't normally rerun series anyway. I've gotten about the same amount of free cars from GT4 and 5, and I think all but three in GT6 were gifts.
The lower level GT League (National) races didn't, the event creator race didn't, the manufacturer events didn't, and the rally races didn't.

Gt2 was so ahead of its time! Seriously, I think car manufacturers owe a lot of their sales to this title.. it made a lot of people of my generation fall in love with cars..

You got cars awarded in GT2 a hell of a lot more frequently than in any other game in the series.
I used to love this feature, I felt like a child opening a Xmas present every time I won a car (which was so often ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Easily the most generous gt game ever in regards to cars.
And who could forget the arcade disc with the pit smell!
And the license test with the mini at tahati where you could get 5 sec under the gold time an not have to lift off the throttle!
Haha.

Remember:

Save your eyes from harm. Keep it under ten minutes.

(For those unaware...within 10 minutes, you're almost used to the graphics. Engine sounds are the same as usual.)

If you forced yourself to play all the B-licence races before A-license, and I-Cs before I-B, and then I-A...you could make a case that grinding for prize cars would take a very long time to earn anything special. If you stick to B-license events, the best you're cashing in are Mugen Accords at 5,000 credit trades + 6,000 in prize money for an 2-lap FF event at Tahiti Road.

The good stuff really doesn't come about until you hit the I-C licenses, which is kind of on par with GT3; Amateur Races had some middling cars, but many of them were good for future events. Likewise, some of the prizes are decent fare for the Manufacturer Events.

Since GT2 races weren't very difficult with its posted power limits (unless you were forcing yourself to use Simulation Tires), you would need very few (if any) ringers/high-value cars to win events within that attained license bracket; as an extreme example, you're buying that 2,000,000 credit Escudo or Cultus either way for the I-A Pikes Peak Uphill race.

Last edited:
Maybe so from a next level/step up [Generation] point of view, but GT2 was oh so superb for it's time and had a few very nice features/cars which were sadly dropped for GT3. :(

No doubt there are cars from GT2 that should be in GT6. I've said since GT6 was released, PD should of added Original Tracks and Cars from all the past games to celebrate the 15 anniversary, to remind us of were it all started. Not Concept/Vision GT Cars we can't use.

2 is probably the peak of the series for me. Although some days I think 4 is, so I don't know I guess, but 2 is amazing in so many ways.

I liked GT2 and GT4 too

GT1 was amazing I remember feeling really excited when i passed my super license test, GT2 was a very worthy successor, but for the best I have to go with GT4 I think it was the one I play with most (I had my PS2 repaired after the release of GT6 after becoming somewhat disillusioned about the GT series)

I start playing GT6 desperately trying to like it, but I just cannot, there really is nothing to like, and find myself loading GT2 on my PS3.

I'm holding off my purchase of a PS4 till after the release of GT7, I may if it's not good be tempted to an X-Box or simply save the money towards a new gaming PC.

What I would love to see is like a GT game ..GT Legends perhaps with every single original track the GT series has ever had. ..dream on hey!

Peace

There was a third drag car, it was a race mod for the Dodge Intrepid of all things. Still, did anyone ever drive it?
Yes, I remember the intrepid drag car. Would have been better if it had 1000hp though.

This is definitely one of my favorites, I'm stuck between GT2&4.

This game was so fun! The car list included the newest additions of the era.

The music was awesome too, switching from north; east; south; west dealerships.

I enjoyed the races too, they managed to make them fun even though the opponents weren't the best.

The customization and upgrading as you said was sweet too.

There were more possibilities regarding performance levels.

Then there's the unlockable cars, that you could win from certain races. My favorites were the (CDMA One) Supra, Unisia JECS R33, and perhaps the TOM's Angel.

I hope they bring a few of these machines back someday.

Grindelwald, and Redrock Valley.... :)

Lotus Elise GT1....

Ford GT90....

OKAY I'll stop now

Back