I just got a call to race at Spa

• Thread starter kart.no.38
  • 64 comments
Great job on Spa! And great story, I hope it only gets better!

I saw you talked about sponsors etc, you know what is funny? In Belgium we have Spa that is one of the most famous tracks in the world, but it is almost impossible to become a race pilot, if you don't bring your $'s, lots of $'s, and "talent " comes last...

We had some great drivers who were F1 worthy, but didn't get a chance, because nobody wanted to invest, they prefer cycling etc. At the moment we only have Stoffel Vandoorne in GP2 and I am sure when you asked the people on the street only 1% would know who he is ...

Great job on Spa! And great story, I hope it only gets better!

I saw you talked about sponsors etc, you know what is funny? In Belgium we have Spa that is one of the most famous tracks in the world, but it is almost impossible to become a race pilot, if you don't bring your $'s, lots of $'s, and "talent " comes last...

We had some great drivers who were F1 worthy, but didn't get a chance, because nobody wanted to invest, they prefer cycling etc. At the moment we only have Stoffel Vandoorne in GP2 and I am sure when you asked the people on the street only 1% would know who he is ...
Same in the USA, "nobody wanted to invest" I have often heard it called "The money pit." :P Especially for endurance racing. People here don't find long term strategy interesting. They'd rather watch NASCAR where there's a break and a restart every 20 minutes or even better, drag racing which last at most 15 seconds. :P :lol: I find that boring, there's no passing, there's no strategy, just a green light and a gas pedal.

@T_Exige @sk8er913 It's like that in every country guys, it's the nature of our sport. A sponsor can spend 1/10th of that amount on well targeted Facebook ads and get better returns.

Our challenge as racing drivers is to try give them that same return on investment - hence my videos and the many other social media things I do.

It's a long process though, an audience is not built over night but if you look at someone like Ken Block (who by the way didn't just pop out of nowhere) it proves that it can work (ok... he is the extreme example but an example nonetheless).

@T_Exige @sk8er913 It's like that in every country guys, it's the nature of our sport. A sponsor can spend 1/10th of that amount on well targeted Facebook ads and get better returns.

Our challenge as racing drivers is to try give them that same return on investment - hence my videos and the many other social media things I do.

It's a long process though, an audience is not built over night but if you look at someone like Ken Block (who by the way didn't just pop out of nowhere) it proves that it can work (ok... he is the extreme example but an example nonetheless).
I read somewhere that another way to get sponsors is to get them involved. Invite then to look at the car off the track, or give them a ride around the track. Because then they can see what they are sponsoring. :)

@kart.no.38 I'm 16, about to be 17 in October, do I still have time to work my way up in racing? I was talking with Fernando Rees who drives for Aston Martin in the WEC and he said he started when he was like 7, so I hope I'm not too late. :scared:

@kart.no.38 I'm 16, about to be 17 in October, do I still have time to work my way up in racing? I was talking with Fernando Rees who drives for Aston Martin in the WEC and he said he started when he was like 7, so I hope I'm not too late. :scared:

I started when I was 15 and only got decent when I was about 18. I'm 30 now which is admittedly on the absolute limit of what's possible.

It does depend really, if you want to be an F1 driver then you've missed the boat. If you want to be a GT driver you still have time.

Start tomorrow though! Go to the local karting track and enquire about the costs of equipment, race kit and track days. Do not delay. Tomorrow is Saturday anyway, so you shouldn't have too many excuses. Actually You could start today by going for a 5km run and doing 50 push ups.

I started when I was 15 and only got decent when I was about 18. I'm 30 now which is admittedly on the absolute limit of what's possible.

It does depend really, if you want to be an F1 driver then you've missed the boat. If you want to be a GT driver you still have time.

Start tomorrow though! Go to the local karting track and enquire about the costs of equipment, race kit and track days. Do not delay. Tomorrow is Saturday anyway, so you shouldn't have too many excuses. Actually You could start today by going for a 5km run and doing 50 push ups.
I've got the working out down, I work out about every day because I also play highschool baseball and I have a few pro teams looking at me, but I would much rather be racing. How hard would it be to get into prototype racing? Would it be about the same as GT or would it be like F1?

I've got the working out down, I work out about every day because I also play highschool baseball and I have a few pro teams looking at me, but I would much rather be racing. How hard would it be to get into prototype racing? Would it be about the same as GT or would it be like F1?

They all require the same effort. Prototype racing does cost about 2x more than top GT racing as far as I know. Aim as high as you can dude and see where you land, you never know!

I wish I was as lucky as you were.
I dreamt of being a racing driver so got myself the foundations by karting. It's an expensive sport and one that I cannot compete in just because of that factor. I will watch on the sidelines or will come back and race in real life some day I hope. Probably not at the level you will though.
I will following your career, good luck. :)

I started when I was 3 (PC racing simulations, and interest in NASCAR) Im sure you had an earlier start than 7 also. What we lose in racing experience we make up for in simulated laps. And Im 20 and just started, so youre ahead of me. :)

I was born a racer. People don't realise the costs to racing. When I was karting (as you can see in my profile pic) I was able to turn up to tracks, get on pace maybe not quite the quickest and knock the same lap times out within tenths and hundredths of a second. I was actually spotted by an endurance karting series team that said I should go into endurance but I don't have the money (im still under 18 so don't earn more than £10K a year) and my parents can't afford me to go into racing again.
You will find out when you join a club and race who really has the talent, I personally didn't rank myself in that category not to mention I couldn't get the money to be in that category anyways. I've raced against a driver who was quick off the bat... smoothest driver I've ever seen. He was successful but gave it up, lost interest and it was too expensive even for them.
I'd love to be a racing driver, reality hit me and so I have dedicated my life to being a racing driver's chief engineer instead. Or an engineer of some kind. not to mention it's still well payed aswell.

I was born a racer. People don't realise the costs to racing. When I was karting (as you can see in my profile pic) I was able to turn up to tracks, get on pace maybe not quite the quickest and knock the same lap times out within tenths and hundredths of a second. I was actually spotted by an endurance karting series team that said I should go into endurance but I don't have the money (im still under 18 so don't earn more than £10K a year) and my parents can't afford me to go into racing again.
You will find out when you join a club and race who really has the talent, I personally didn't rank myself in that category not to mention I couldn't get the money to be in that category anyways. I've raced against a driver who was quick off the bat... smoothest driver I've ever seen. He was successful but gave it up, lost interest and it was too expensive even for them.
I'd love to be a racing driver, reality hit me and so I have dedicated my life to being a racing driver's chief engineer instead. Or an engineer of some kind. not to mention it's still well payed aswell.
How could someone lose interest in racing? Lol. I do sometimes after an intense weekend. But never for more than 2 or 3 weeks.

Yeah. I love racing. It's the expense I don't. If I was to get talent spotted or given the chance for a trial I sure as hell would take the offer to at least try and get picked.

So true. But many on gtp don't have experience. Some do and that would probably leave 5 thousand people probably to choose from if not more haha

So true. But many on gtp don't have experience. Some do and that would probably leave 5 thousand people probably to choose from if not more haha
Well I didn't have any experience, and when I went to my regional karting track for the first time I was only 1 tenth off of the pace of people that have done it for years. :)

I started when I was 3 (PC racing simulations, and interest in NASCAR) Im sure you had an earlier start than 7 also. What we lose in racing experience we make up for in simulated laps. And Im 20 and just started, so youre ahead of me. :)

I only started karts when I was 15

End of 2014, I was 29
National champion at 23 was for karts? How much did it cost for round 1 of this GT Series? You said Spa was the first free race, so round 1 wasn't free. Have you gotten a call for the next round yet? When is it?

National champion at 23 was for karts? How much did it cost for round 1 of this GT Series? You said Spa was the first free race, so round 1 wasn't free. Have you gotten a call for the next round yet? When is it?

Yes it was for Karts
It's between 10,000 - 20,000 euros per race
Up to now I've had to pay my own way
Spa is the only free race I'll get this year
Three remains in the Italian champs I have to find the money for those final rounds

Yes it was for Karts
It's between 10,000 - 20,000 euros per race
Up to now I've had to pay my own way
Spa is the only free race I'll get this year
Three remains in the Italian champs I have to find the money for those final rounds
Thats a lot. There is an F3 series in the US thats about 4,500 USD per race. But the races are only 30 minutes in length.

There is a long list of drivers that have mortgaged their homes or parents homes to buy rides in the hope of being noticed and getting a paid drive. Some have been rewarded and others lost it all. It's even harder in todays economy. Racing is like acting. Lot's of people do it but a small percentage make a living at it.

The fastest way to be a millionaire in racing is to get into racing as a billionaire.

There is a long list of drivers that have mortgaged their homes or parents homes to buy rides in the hope of being noticed and getting a paid drive. Some have been rewarded and others lost it all. It's even harder in todays economy. Racing is like acting. Lot's of people do it but a small percentage make a living at it.

The fastest way to be a millionaire in racing is to get into racing as a billionaire.
And then the 2nd fastest way is to win GT Academy. :P

@sk8er913 I'm pretty sure that if you played everyday for 2 hrs a day that you'd eventually be good enough to get into the Academy knockout phases. In fact I'm sure that anyone here could do it with the right amount of effort and focus.

@sk8er913 I'm pretty sure that if you played everyday for 2 hrs a day that you'd eventually be good enough to get into the Academy knockout phases. In fact I'm sure that anyone here could do it with the right amount of effort and focus.
In GT6 I am 1 in about 2,000, but in electric karts I am only 1 in 500. Still have a little ways to go in real life. 1 in 500 isn't good enough. :)

Today was the best battle ever, 13 laps side by side. One of the lap cars had an onboard camera, I will post it if I find it. :) he probably won't though, because he got lapped lol.

Back