I just got NFS Shift!!

• Thread starter marmar
  • 449 comments
I have the auto-clutch off, but when I'm in a race and shift without using the clutch it just shifts? Any way to make you shift using the clutch in the settings somewhere?

Hi guys,

Im playing NFS with a G25 set up but I cant get the wheel settings quite right, 900 degrees is just too silly without setting everything else up. If any of you guys have some settings any chance you let me know to see if I can get it playable as I like the concept of the game but so far Im not playing it due to poor controls.

Edit:

These are the settings im currently at:

0%
0%
0%
0%
100%
0%
0%
0%
100%
off
Normal

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Im playing NFS with a G25 set up but I cant get the wheel settings quite right, 900 degrees is just too silly without setting everything else up. If any of you guys have some settings any chance you let me know to see if I can get it playable as I like the concept of the game but so far Im not playing it due to poor controls.

Edit:

These are the settings im currently at:

0%
0%
0%
0%
100%
0%
0%
0%
100%
off
Normal

In other Shift-thread, https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114104&page=101 , contains quite much discussion and suggestions to G25 wheel settings.

Amar's settings are very nice, and I compared his settings to mine, and they felt very same. I finally kept my own settings, but it's just because my own agressive driving-style. Amar's settings were more smooth and stable, and my settings more to 'throw' your car to apex.

ps. I can see there is 100% 'speed steering sens' in your settings...? that makes your wheel to react awful way to your inputs. Set it up to 0%, and youre saved.

Sorry if this question has been discussed before, but does anyone know if the PS3 version of Shift has a damage model of less quality than the other versions?

In some videos, which I know to be PS3, the damage is turned to full, yet the car, even in a big crash suffers only scratches, and no deformation whatsoever. :ill:

Whereas, in other videos that the author has claimed to be the PS3 version the damage is just like the 360 and PC version....

I'll still be getting this game, for everything else it has but i'm kinda confused here... can somebody tell me what is going on?

(Perhaps certain cars have different levels of deformation, like Forza)

:cheers:

Last edited:
I too am annoyed at the glue tyres opponents have in car battles. It actually made me PIT the opponent just to win.:grumpy:

In other Shift-thread, https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=114104&page=101 , contains quite much discussion and suggestions to G25 wheel settings.

Amar's settings are very nice, and I compared his settings to mine, and they felt very same. I finally kept my own settings, but it's just because my own agressive driving-style. Amar's settings were more smooth and stable, and my settings more to 'throw' your car to apex.

ps. I can see there is 100% 'speed steering sens' in your settings...? that makes your wheel to react awful way to your inputs. Set it up to 0%, and youre saved.

What are you settings?

Yeah, one of the bad things about SHIFT is a lot of races seem too hard or too easy, just very unbalanced. At least it has some variety lol

The vinyl - editor is a joke, too... why can't tou just mirror you're vinyls for a start?

Oh and the damage seems glitchy, in the first races it's there and incredible good, but in later races all you get is some odd scratches. :confused:

Tried online today and even if it's very limited it's quite good.

I just wish there was more fun stuff like e.g. eliminator matches :/

Last edited:
Can't say, I try not to crash ;)

Hehe, neither do I, but it is interesting to me whether the PS3 version is a port of the 360 version, just like Prostreet..... Which I wish I had never purchased.

But seriously, can anyone with the PS3 version confirm that the Deformation is as high as the quality as on the 360/PC version? How about the Mechanical damage? (Not brilliant i've heard) Is it the same as in the 360 version too? (If anyone noticed....)

Sorry for the questions, but the demo is a while away and I just want to know a bit about the game before I buy it. I'm sure you feel the same before you buy games :)

(GT5 however, is very much more important! If the release date is announced at TGS I will pass off Shift) ;)

GTR2 was a great game, and i'd love the chance to see what the guys from that team managed with EA controlling the strings..... :lol:

EDIT:
Oh and the damage seems glitchy, in the first races it's there and incredible good, but in later races all you get is some odd scratches. :confused

That answers my question, cheers! I guess there is going to be a big patch for Shift....Especially for the PC version ><

Last edited:
Yup ^^ I see a huge patch coming, but afterall this is EA ... *,*

Yeah, Published by EA, but I wonder how much of the game they actually developed. Perhaps they just rushed Slightly Mad Studios the release slightly early....

I remember that old NFS games tended to release in November, this would have made time for the improvements, but i'm sure a patch will be out shortly (I guess the sales will depend on it)

EA will do anything for sales! :lol:

Yeah, Published by EA, but I wonder how much of the game they actually developed. Perhaps they just rushed Slightly Mad Studios the release slightly early....

I remember that old NFS games tended to release in November, this would have made time for the improvements, but i'm sure a patch will be out shortly (I guess the sales will depend on it)

EA will do anything for sales! :lol:

Including fix problems with their game!? The madness! :P

Overall though, have to say I'm really impressed with shift so far. Well, except the Porsche Cayman, that just wont stay in a stright line!

Overall though, have to say I'm really impressed with shift so far. Well, except the Porsche Cayman, that just wont stay in a stright line!

Try your hands with a slightly tuned 370Z - stupid.

Just stupid.

Yup ^^ I see a huge patch coming, but afterall this is EA ... *,*

Having worked with EA, one of my favourite stories (apart from the NASCAR series being known within as "just another left" ;)), was the release of a patch for one of their cricket games. The patch contained a registry entry labelled "files for crappy patch".

The worst thing about that? I'm not joking :lol:

Patching is always at the behest of the developer. If they budget for it, it helps. However, if it's a big patch it can come out of a budget for the next iteration, or there is no budget left. There are some major bugs though, the Z06 which doesn't move off the line?

Patching isn't easy on consoles, unlike PC which doesn't have to go through any MS/Sony QA processes. You'll find most of the time that the devs want to patch, but the money men make the choices.

Doesn't the contract between developer and publisher normally include 2 to 3 patches after a game is released?

The Z06 issue. If that's the Donington Park one, then I've had no problem with that bug at all so far and yet other people have.

What are you settings?

Like this, but I changed my Brake sensitivity to 12% like in Amar's settings.

Attachments

• wheel settings.jpg
    wheel settings.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 45
I think the game is great in many ways, but the physics are just a little too "easy". It would be great if EA saw the potential for this game with the sim market & released an "upgrade" for the physics to take it to the next level. Any chance of that?

The Cayman is my favourite RWD so far, that's funny. I'll post setup later, it also doesn't bounce much anymore. :P

Having worked with EA, one of my favourite stories (apart from the NASCAR series being known within as "just another left" ;)), was the release of a patch for one of their cricket games. The patch contained a registry entry labelled "files for crappy patch".

The worst thing about that? I'm not joking :lol:

Patching is always at the behest of the developer. If they budget for it, it helps. However, if it's a big patch it can come out of a budget for the next iteration, or there is no budget left. There are some major bugs though, the Z06 which doesn't move off the line?

Patching isn't easy on consoles, unlike PC which doesn't have to go through any MS/Sony QA processes. You'll find most of the time that the devs want to patch, but the money men make the choices.

Haha :lol: I've heard many stories like that about EA...
Let's hope they patch the major problems (i.e. Z06) at least. I guess they want my money for DLC, they better do.

@Biggles : Do you have all assists off and still find it too easy?? :scared:

However I think physics are very realistic , it shouldn't be hard drive modern cars fast, even race drivers say so.. it's just hard to be really competetive and keeping it safe, if you know what I mean.

I can't drive for 🤬 on shift without at least some assists.:dunce:

Last edited:
I'm never buying an EA game again. Shift is totally half-assed it doesn't even make sense now. I can't even play the game because it keeps freezing and the disc just stops spinning.

Like this, but I changed my Brake sensitivity to 12% like in Amar's settings.

There is 50% of Steering Sensitivity at your settings, but later I found that if I put 100% on SS I can use 900 degree of turn.

It is a whole new world from there, except for the Drift races.

Running hot laps at the 'Ring in a Porsche GT3RS (with just the basic brake & exhaust upgrade) is the most fun I've had on a console racing game since the S16 license test on GT4.

Utterly awsome.

Here's the steering settings I'm using...

Dead zone 0%
Accelerator & brake dead zone 0%
Steering sensitivity 95%
Accelerator sensitivity 30%
Brake sensitivity 15%
Speed sensitive 0%
FF 8
Lock 720*

Then set the steering angle to max in the car settings.

Settings are numerous and complicated, so changes need to be made with care or you just end up making the car worse. At the 'Ring I'm using soft springs/high ride, slightly upped camber coupled with medium downforce and slightly softer tyre pressure... the result is a car with balanced turn that delivers beautiful 4 wheel drifts often from well before the apex.

Doesn't the contract between developer and publisher normally include 2 to 3 patches after a game is released?

The Z06 issue. If that's the Donington Park one, then I've had no problem with that bug at all so far and yet other people have.

Contracts vary so much. Of course not all publishers have financial control of the game and literally just help to publish it. Won't be the case with EA of course. I'd say, look back at what tends to happen with previous NFS titles. If they have been patched then there is a chance. I wouldn't like to ever predict what EA would do, the game clearly has some big issues, some shouldn't have got through QA. Actual game breakers like the unmovable Z06 need to be fixed, though reproducing them might be tough.

I haven't followed the NFS series for about 5 years or so (Most Wanted my last NFS game), have they patched the PC version of previous (recent) NFS titles? It's an unknown really. There's a third party in console development, it's not a short, simple or easy process either.

No problem. Here you go:

Porsche Cayman 12.93 points (I use for tier3 races)
all stage 2 upgrades, stage 3 tyres, bodykit2, weight reduction 1&2, all parts upgrades except nos

tyre pressure front 33.91, rear: 34.06
steering lock: 21
toe front : -10, rear: 10
sway bar front : 342, rear: 142
springs front : 472, rear: 571
final drive (depend on track): 5.89
downforce front/ rear: 12

if you remove stage 3 tyres and stage 2 engine and turbo you'll end up with 9.41 points which is good for online plus it reduces any bouncing to zero and drives even nicer.
Tested on SilverstoneGP and Tokyo. 👍

Last edited:
Wow I just had the best race I think I've ever been in Online. It all came down to a last-corner pass at the Nurburgring (Full Course). The guy ahead of me kept blocking me and the other 2 drivers the whole race and if one of us got around him, he would just punt us out of the way. He was in a modded Shelby GT500 and I was driving my 911 GT2. I had a chance to get past him on the Dottinger Hohe Straight but every time I started to catch him I would have to back out of it before I hit him or I was run off the road. Finally, At the last corner I had enough, he went low and I pulled along side and slid through the grass around him :lol:

Managed to get in several hours playing NFS over the weekend.

First thing to say is that I feel that I've just scratched the surface. There's a definately a lot to master in this game, so it fills the main criteria of being a great challenge.

Using a DFP I started on 'Experienced' which was mistake. Definately recommend going straight to 'Pro'. You need to be a bit more precise with your inputs, but you get way better feedback in terms of feel for what the car is doing.

On some of the issues raised.

Oversteer on RWD. Did seem accentuated. Just changed the Oversteer- Understeer quicktune from 50-50 to 40-60 and seemed a lot better balanced.

Deadzone. Mine set to 0% ,steering sensitivity to 50%, rotation 360'
Yes deadzone is still there a little bit, a few degrees, nowhere near the 30' some people have reported. However I'm not expecting a patch as I don't think this is a bug, but rather trying to simulate just how hard it is to place your car accurately on the track at very high speeds. Looking at my replays around the Nordschleife it a lot of places I'm way off the ideal line, Im just too scared to get that close to the edge of the track, just like I would be in a real car at 200 kph. That should improve with more practice though. Basically its learning the Nordschleife all over again

Boucing cars. Oh yes, you feed every bump of the track with this physics model, which really accentuates just how much the genre has progressed since GT4. The big breakthru with GT4 was accurate modelling of the cars handling. Now everybody is doing that, and the breakthru for this generation of games is accurate modelling of the effects of a tracks surface. NFS is the best I've played yet for that, and I can't wait to see how GT5 does it, as surely they will, or else they simply won't be in the game.

Haven't even delved into the advanced tuning features yet. I'll wait for some tuners to post who have more time to experiment than I currently have.

Theres definately some arcadey bits, amongst the courses/challenges, basically to appeal to the traditional NFS fan I guess, but there's more than enough there for a GT fan as well.

After scratching the surface I'll give it an 8/10, and recommend it for those still sitting on the fence. After all, what else are you going to do ? Race Suzuka one more time ?

Back