I like the rubber banding in this game

• Thread starter vaioleto
  • 169 comments
Duke

I was simply saying people like it different ways, your hearing what you want, and aparently YOU want to argue, Im done with it, enjoy NOT being the bigger man.

Dude, just practice what you preach and move on...

Last edited:
Keep trying vaioleto... we all need our entertainment :D
Pix or it didn't happen.:dopey: I doubt you'd have time to actually play GTPSP and still be able to hang around on this forum 24/7 and reply to anyone that has anything bad to say about you know what.

And please, keep the rewind BS out of this thread (it's about rubber banding FYI). It's like you have really bad BO, and it follows you wherever you go.

Last edited:
Duke

I was simply saying people like it different ways, your hearing what you want, and aparently YOU want to argue, Im done with it, enjoy NOT being the bigger man.

Dude, just practice what you preach and move on...

Actually you were repeatedly telling people that they needed to like it the way you like it and that if they didn't it wasn't because they had a legitimate gripe but because they were unskilled.

Basically side with me or you must suck.

You did the opposite of saying people like it different ways, you discredited anyone who didn't like it the way you did and insulted them, then you got called on it.

Actually you were repeatedly telling people that they needed to like it the way you like it and that if they didn't it wasn't because they had a legitimate gripe but because they were unskilled.

You did the opposite of saying people like it different ways, you discredited anyone who didn't like it the way you did and insulted them, then you got called on it.

Oh Boy...

Runs back AGAIN to get his bat, and goes back into the Barn, and again, Beats the crap out of a Horse, the same horse He beat earlier, the one thats already dead.

You guys are only seing what you want and failling to UNDERSTAND what I've said (thats my opinion), its unfortunate, but why don't we quite like you suggested....

Agree to disagree... Or are you looking for arguments???

Whos the one whos going to keep it going?????

Lets see....

What's the point of this reply?

Can people stay on topic?

I've reversed my opinion of the RBE in this game. It's actually really fun, as I get better at a track, I usually enjoy braking in front of the AI and forcing them to slow down, then battle with them for a while, and pull away.

I'm usually very safe on the nurburgring if I do a 6'45 lap on the nurburgring. This game does reward you for driving well, to a degree, but you're never free from being punished if you mess up.

Nobody - and I mean nobody but you and PD's game designer likes the RBE. Nobody I know asked for it. In fact, in every instance I've seen, people have been praying it's not in future games.
Like FoolKiller said, I'd rather have proper AI than RBE. But given the fact this game has RBE, I kind have grown to like how it's implemented, much better than other games IMO. It keeps me on my toes and it certainly doesn't feel like they are blasting past me at rediculous speeds. I'm certainly not disturbed by it. Then again, maybe the proper description is not 'liking', but 'not hating' is a better description. ;)

Like FoolKiller said, I'd rather have proper AI than RBE. But given the fact this game has RBE, I kind have grown to like how it's implemented, much better than other games IMO. It keeps me on my toes and it certainly doesn't feel like they are blasting past me at rediculous speeds. I'm certainly not disturbed by it. Then again, maybe the proper description is not 'liking', but 'not hating' is a better description. ;)
Yeah, the AI stops being godly when they're just behind you. I like that.

From all the talk of how the AI sucks in GT, the AI in this game are actually very clever. They battle with each other all the time, and they also slip stream, they don't ram into you if you brake in their line, they either slow down or steer away from you.

I've also noticed that in the harder to control cars like the Citroen GT and the Bugatti Veyron, the AI goes off track from insufficient braking all the time.

New here, GT PSP is my first GT and I really like it so far, even when I'm definitely not "there" yet skillwise.

Still, and on topic.
As I just hate when people try to prove their point stating completely wrong facts:
It keeps you getting better as no matter how good you get they are always there to push you further and keep you consistent by punishing you for REAL mistakes.

NO it DOESN'T.

You DON'T need to improve in actual driving well to beat the S-level AI. The ONLY thing this solution forces you to do, is to be moderately good AND avoid letting the AI pass you ONLY at the end of the race. You don't have to drive well, it's enough to block the AI well enough at the end.

So - the rubberband causes 90% (maybe 99% of the race) to be basically meaningless, only to force you to really concentrate on the last few meters.

It doesn't mean, it doesn't challenge you at all. But it does mean, that it's easier to actually win against the AI by being a mediocre driver who drives a safe line avoiding mistakes, then when you're actually really good "on the edge" but a little risky. So it doesn't make you improve. If anything, it might promote conservative, slower but safer driving.

Hmm after reading the last 2 pages since when is "S" class the standard? I wont touch S because I'm not that good and want to give my self a chance to win. To win on "S" with a 100% chance to win every race with no skill use the the Honda Today G and hope you get 3 Fiat 500's to race on Citta di Aria reverse. The Today can make it up the hill at about 40-45 mph the Fiats around 20 :embarrassed:. they wont catch up, they will be at a crawl on the steep hill.

i also think foolkiller has the best idea about the AI.

It doesn't mean, it doesn't challenge you at all. But it does mean, that it's easier to actually win against the AI by being a mediocre driver who drives a safe line avoiding mistakes, then when you're actually really good "on the edge" but a little risky. So it doesn't make you improve. If anything, it might promote conservative, slower but safer driving.

Well said, i completely agree. If you drive faster, the AI keeps up. If you drive slower yet more carefully, meaning you won't make mistakes, they still keep up with you without passing.

Its completely messed up. S should be very hard; the AI should be driving to the equivalent times of silver/gold in license tests. Instead they drive sub-standardly (aka they probably couldn't achieve bronze if the AI ran half the licenses in Gt4), and then they manage sector times in excess of gold rank to catch up with you when you get so far ahead.

Hmm after reading the last 2 pages since when is "S" class the standard? I wont touch S because I'm not that good and want to give my self a chance to win. To win on "S" with a 100% chance to win every race with no skill use the the Honda Today G and hope you get 3 Fiat 500's to race on Citta di Aria reverse. The Today can make it up the hill at about 40-45 mph the Fiats around 20 :embarrassed:. they wont catch up, they will be at a crawl on the steep hill.

Well the increased grip and acceleration that the AI achieve when you are ahead is so minute in those cars that they can't catch you. But in 600bhp supercars, while you are taking risks gliding through corners at 150mph the AI can easily glide through at 170 with no margin for error if they are 10 seconds behind. But if they are ahead they can only manage 140 through the same corner.

Doesn't sound fair to me.

If you drive slower yet more carefully, meaning you won't make mistakes, they still keep up with you without passing.
The AI will most definitely pass you if you are slow. But the RBE will prevent them from gaining a huge lead, which is more or less the same as not passing you at all (except they're driving a bit ahead of you ;)). You are completely right however if you say you can play the AI (e.g. drive a bit slower/safer for 90% of the race, then step on it for the final 10%). But that's the case in any game, once you learn the AI's weakness(es) you can play them and win quite easily.

But in 600bhp supercars, while you are taking risks gliding through corners at 150mph the AI can easily glide through at 170 with no margin for error if they are 10 seconds behind. But if they are ahead they can only manage 140 through the same corner.

Doesn't sound fair to me.
So far I've noticed that the AI is always slower than you in a corner and they make up for it on the straights (whether you are ahead or not doesn't seem to matter). Also, they do not suffer from fiddling with on/off buttons like us humans, which makes it easier for them to control the throttle and brakes in a fluid motion without the risk of spinning out. IMO, the number one reason for high-powered car racing being more difficult in GTPSP is the on/off controls, not the RBE.

What would be interesting is to test how much advantage the AI really have when you are ahead. Since you can view the AI cars in replay it shouldn't be too hard to determine how much of an advantage they get when they are behind, especially on a track like the test track.

Excessive RBE - and pretty much any RBE at all is excessive to me - makes tuning and adjusting pointless, because the AI will just magically get what they need to hang off your ass the entire time. So instead of being able to tailor the car you're driving to the AI pressure, it no longer really matters. If you want any kind of accuracy at all, you're stuck.
I wonder if this isn't pointing at what PD were thinking here. Since there is no engine tuning for Single Race mode (I have only ever seen suspension settings available) perhaps they somehow thought this would be a replacement for tailoring your car to the AI pressure. Now the AI pressure is tailored for whatever car you have?

Not an excuse (nor would it be a good one) or me thinking it is an explanation of any form. Just trying to figure out PD's mindset after we saw someone in an interview tell Yamauchi that the community doesn't like RBE and him setup online races in Prologue without it in response.

Like FoolKiller said, I'd rather have proper AI than RBE.
i also think foolkiller has the best idea about the AI.
I honestly had to go back and see what you guys were talking about.

New here, GT PSP is my first GT and I really like it so far, even when I'm definitely not "there" yet skillwise.

Still, and on topic.
As I just hate when people try to prove their point stating completely wrong facts:

NO it DOESN'T.

You DON'T need to improve in actual driving well to beat the S-level AI. The ONLY thing this solution forces you to do, is to be moderately good AND avoid letting the AI pass you ONLY at the end of the race. You don't have to drive well, it's enough to block the AI well enough at the end.

So - the rubberband causes 90% (maybe 99% of the race) to be basically meaningless, only to force you to really concentrate on the last few meters.

Maybe if you're talking about a city track, but on a track like Suzuka and Nurburgring where you can go off and drastically slow down, it's difficult to block them when you're on the grass...

Haven't read all the posts in this thread, but as far as the rubber banding goes, don't you sort of have to implement it that way with only 4 car races? If they didn't I would think people would be complaining about the fact that they're basically driving the track by themself, with no cars around to make things interesting. From what I can see, the AI seems to almost be a carbon copy of the AI in Gran Turismo I. Brings back pleasant memories of my days spent playing that game, but I would have thought they would have come a long way since PS1. I still don't understand why they couldn't have had at least 6 car races and somewhat more intelligent AI in this version, but that's just me I guess.

Haven't read all the posts in this thread, but as far as the rubber banding goes, don't you sort of have to implement it that way with only 4 car races? If they didn't I would think people would be complaining about the fact that they're basically driving the track by themself, with no cars around to make things interesting.
That is the complaint. Instead of AI that can properly keep up with the player by driving properly and aggressively they have to have an unrealistic aid.

From what I can see, the AI seems to almost be a carbon copy of the AI in Gran Turismo I. Brings back pleasant memories of my days spent playing that game, but I would have thought they would have come a long way since PS1. I still don't understand why they couldn't have had at least 6 car races and somewhat more intelligent AI in this version, but that's just me I guess.
The PSP's processing power is limited, and PD wanted to have a smooth 60 fps. That is why there are only 4 cars.

I disagree about the AI being like GT1. They show an ability to draft each other and the player now, have a decent awareness of other car positions, and will occasionally make a mistake when pushed in a turn. GT1 AI stuck to a relatively preset line and if you crossed it they just hit you. I have replays where I have come up on the inside of an AI car going into a turn and as soon as my car is past their blindspot they will move over to avoid a collision if possible. One thing I have noticed that strikes me as somewhat advanced is the fact that if I am in their blindspot they will bump me but as soon as I get my hood even with their front window they react to my presence. If I am in front of an AI car coming up on a turn and brake too soon or too hard they attempt to avoid me. I also even attempted running backward on Test Track to hit them head on and I had to really work at it because they would swerve around me.

The AI is smart, but they refuse to push the car. That may be what you mean, but all GT AIs have had that trouble to some degree. It's just that in the past the races had a relatively set group of AI cars so you could even it up with a power disadvantage when choosing and tuning your car.

NO it DOESN'T.

You DON'T need to improve in actual driving well to beat the S-level AI. The ONLY thing this solution forces you to do, is to be moderately good AND avoid letting the AI pass you

YES it does....

Especially if mistakes can cause the race to be lost. Kinda makes you NOT want to make mistakes doesn't it.................

PLEASE Id like to see a replay of people making big mistakes EARLY in the race, then fighting there way back into first on S-Rank. The race is LOST if you make a big enough F-up at ANY POINT, not just the last lap.

Prove It, instead of talking like assumptions really happened.

You DON'T need to improve in actual driving well to beat the S-level AI.

Okay so racing against the AI with RB WONT make you any better??? Is that what you say...Remember I said it does, and you said...

NO it DOESN'T

However then you say "You DON'T need to improve " :odd: Does Not NEEDING to improve, mean people WONT improve???? :odd: I dont NEED to play this game at all, but I want to. :odd: I dont NEED to improve, but I want to. :odd: There are PLENTY of people out there who dont NEED to improve, but want to. :odd: (The only things I need to do is keep it real and Die...) :sly: .... (my God, Y.A.D!!!)

The ONLY thing this solution forces you to do, is to be moderately good AND avoid letting the AI pass you

The only thing it does, is Force you to get better at....Ummmm..... RACING!!!!

Ohh so it "Forces" you to be "Moderatly good" (Thats relative speaking) But it doesnt make you any better does it.... :odd:

Not everybody will get better, thats true, You dont get better racing the AI, fine with me, you reached your peak, not me. Some will be Ricers 4 Life :scared: And try as they might, improvement is out of reach :sly:

Jokes aside, racing against any competition let it be AI or Live will push you to improve more then driving arround the track on your own... Simple as that. People who say otherwise, dont race 4 real....

If you want to see CRAPY RB then play Dirt2 PSP, THAT game has RB to complain about. For the user and the AI alike, Ive litteraly waited on the start like for over 10 seconds and flew by everyboy (3 oponant cars) in a matter of 2 laps :odd: AI and user are strapped together by a Rubber Band no matter who is in front or behind. Try that in GT PSP.....

BTW Im still wating for people to give any reason not to like the RB. (Thats not over exagerated BS, & that can be proven) I have NO PROBLEM getting my win. All Ive heard is people making excuses for lack of skill... I Can show replays of the AI staying on me, making moves to pass, and taking the win IF I mess up (Thats what REAL RACERS WANT, a RACE ) With no AI cars or anybody else, its NOT a Race, but a Time Trial...

Last edited:
BTW Im still wating for people to give any reason not to like the RB. (Thats not over exagerated BS, & that can be proven) I have NO PROBLEM getting my win.
Reason: Because good AI is better than any RB.

All Ive heard is people making excuses for lack of skill...
Show me where I have done that. Yep, I make mistakes and I lose because I make a mistake. Yet, it seems really odd when I do win on S more than I lose and I immediately take a 2.5-2.8 second lead and hold that exact lead no matter how well I do from that point on.

(Thats what REAL RACERS WANT, a RACE )
Too bad the AI has to use a special assist in order to even keep up.

Reason: Because good AI is better than any RB.

Umm, sory you didnt understand... I didnt say "tell me what you think" I said SHOW ME SOMETHING, ANYTHING! (With the exception of Oval track racing) That displays the AI in GT doing ANYTHING so frustrating or ANYTHING to cause a bad tast in my mouth. Not just saying you dont like it and "Good" AI would be better, SHOW WHY the AI is so bad, and EXPLAIN how the AI should work (& Im not talking about just saying they should drive better) HOW should the AI WORK, that would make it "better" and how so would it be "better"? How would this make the game marketable to MORE peopole, how would it make the game MORE enjoyable and satisfying to MORE of those people then LESS??????????????

Please show an example of the Difference..... So I can better understand, what AI has the perameters that you like? Can you then please explain HOW that AI works, not just how they drive on the track, but HOW they do so using "better" AI over RB...

P.S. All this on a PSP game, lets not forget that.......................

BUT for fun, please EXPLAIN how the System used in GT5p works to level the playing feild and keeps races interesting in its Semi-Career mode. Then WHY that wouldn't work in GT PSP....

Too bad the AI has to use a special assist in order to even keep up.

It more like too bad the USER needs so many assist to stay on the track let alone win a race or be able to deal with a AI that has skill..... If you really beleve when you turn all the assist off, that all the assist are really "OFF" your hugely mistaken. Its just too bad, there are none blinder then those who refuse to see. ;)

800 cars, + 35 tracks (hint hint, nudge nudge, wink wink, Im gining it away) Do you UNDERSTAND why there is no "Career" mode??? I doubt it. So why should I explain it to you... I already have, but you didnt understand then, so whay should I say it over and over again....

FYI, as a reference to the coment about the interview with Yamauchi. The online multiplayer, and Single player modes are 2 Different worlds, people not liking the RB in online play, has NOTHING to do with the Single player mode. They also have the option to turn it on EVEN in Multiplayer, for a good reason (Can you geuss what it is?????) Dont forget, your off topic with a PS3 system playing GT5P not a PSP, we need to discuss game that run on the PSP Processor, that have the PSP's limitations......

Do you really UNDERSTAND why RB even exist, or do you really think its just a way of underdeveloping the AI???? A way of cutting a corner instead of making a full effort, is that it?

Do you understand why its EASIER to remove AI from multiplayer, then it is to add it? How its then easy to remove from multiplayer, but not so easy for Single player?

Im not trying to be a Dick, peopole here are arguing as if they have a complete lack of understanding about HOW games are BUILT (Made, developed, marketed, etc) Ive already gone over points so many times its not funny, and NOT one has been met with a countering point followed by factual proof, other then the "Good AI would be better" opinions that PROVE nothing. Thats just so easy to SAY, but not so easy to...................... Im not saying it all over again, re-read the WHOLE thread or just move on....

It seems most of the people complaining dont FULLY understand what the term RACING, reffers too. You just CAN't do it by yourself, and your not really racing when you have huge gaps. We call that Time Attack, or Time Trials ;) ;)

REMEMBER, we are talking about "Single Player Racing" and NOT "Career Mode Racing". THE REASON there is NO career mode, has to do with the games AI & the PSP's abilities, WHO can figure it out???????????????????????????

Also PLEASE, re-read the OP if you havnt already.......

Last edited:
I know it doesn't make sense to argue with a wall. But just because sometimes I actually like to argue for the sake of it, I comment on one (kinda central) statement.

Ohh so it "Forces" you to be "Moderatly good" (Thats relative speaking) But it doesnt make you any better does it.... :odd:

Not everybody will get better, thats true, You dont get better racing the AI, fine with me, you reached your peak, not me. Some will be Ricers 4 Life :scared: And try as they might, improvement is out of reach :sly:

"Moderately good" is relative. Maybe it might be better to use the expression "comfortably good". Anyway, it means exactly "not on peak". For a reasonably gifted player it's possible to reach a level of skill making it actually possible to beat the AI on S-level relatively comfortable. If they still want to improve their times, they have to start taking risks, meaning also making mistakes. Now, the problem with the RB is, making mistakes is instantly "punished", while improving your driving past the "minimum requirement" to beat it is not rewarded.

You write all the time about real life racing and realism. But the truth is, in a real race, if a driver is driving, say laptimes of 0.2 seconds faster then his opponents for ten laps, he can allow himself a slip at one corner that costs him even a second, because he was driving riskier then the rest and worked out a gap. With RB it's better (well - more profitable) not to take risks, as they give you no advantage.

So actually in my opinion, it's easier to improve your driving, doing time trials then racing the RB AI. The AI improves your meta game, not directly your driving.

Now go ahead and spill out a wall of selfcontradicting statements in REALLY BIG LETTERS and at least a hundred of REALLY meaningful smileys :scared::scared::scared:

the rubber banding keeps things interesting, but when im just trying to gian money on test track its irritating when the car keeps gaining on me.

I know it doesn't make sense to argue with a wall. But just because sometimes I actually like to argue for the sake of it.........

I agree, and thats why Im here :sly:

"Moderately good" is relative. Maybe it might be better to use the expression "comfortably good". Anyway, it means exactly "not on peak". For a reasonably gifted player it's possible to reach a level of skill making it actually possible to beat the AI on S-level relatively comfortable. If they still want to improve their times, they have to start taking risks, meaning also making mistakes.

I agree, and by taking these risks and being pusished for mistakes, should get you making less mistakes while taking more risks ;) therefore getting better.....

Now, the problem with the RB is, making mistakes is instantly "punished", while improving your driving past the "minimum requirement" to beat it is not rewarded.

Why? Get BETTER and you will be taking those same risks with less and less mistakes, and soon enough they WONT be risks. Are you expecting to run the lap Faster then the Stock cars capabilities without increasing performance?

The reward is eventually what you consider to be a "Risk" will be less and less Risky....

You write all the time about real life racing and realism. But the truth is, in a real race, if a driver is driving, say laptimes of 0.2 seconds faster then his opponents for ten laps,

Your right, I do say, that. I also try to make it clear that people who are "comfortably good" in this game would NOT be developing 2 second faster laps, then the rest of the racing feild in a REAL race. Most drivers in real races have the cars regulated to keep the playing feild level & mistakes are punished with not getting first place, first place is reserved for those who run the race without mistakes (Given the exceptions) How many times Ive seen the 3rd place runner take a win because 1st and 2nd were batteling eachother I can't count... The game SIMULATES this as best it can inside its abilities...

(By the way holding a 2sec lead for ten or no matter how many laps, still only makes a 2sec lead and the end)

So actually in my opinion, it's easier to improve your driving, doing time trials then racing the RB AI. The AI improves your meta game, not directly your driving.

Thats funny, you get better at Racing, by not racing. Good for you. Your intitled to your opinion.

Now go ahead and spill out a wall of selfcontradicting statements in REALLY BIG LETTERS and at least a hundred of REALLY meaningful smileys :scared::scared::scared:

"selfcontradicting statements"

OOOOhhhhhhhhh, Like what?

Okay.........

:sly: :crazy:💡:ouch::indiff::nervous::):sly::yuck::dunce:👍💡

Personally, I do Drift Trial to get cash

I spend most of my Time in GT PSP in Time Trial, because I like Time Attack.

I go race, when I want to RACE!

Last edited:
It seems most of the people complaining dont FULLY understand what the term RACING, reffers too. You just CAN't do it by yourself, and your not really racing when you have huge gaps. We call that Time Attack, or Time Trials ;) ;)

I am not sure if you know what racing is? According to your idea of what racing should entail, F1 would be time trial, and as much as I prefer Moto GP versus F1 due to Moto GP (in my opinion) being more exciting because the racing is closer, it does not mean to say that F1 is not in-fact a race...Due to more often then not, a huge gap present between competing cars.

Now if I went to my local track (Brands Hatch) on my 1000cc motorcycle and had a 10 lap race with a 50cc scooter, not doubt (I would hope:scared:) be way faster and likely lap the scooter several times. Is this a race? Well yes I think so despite the scooter not ever having a chance! (Unless I wipe out) And that is the magic of it.

Rubber banding is not realistic and certainly not to and within the spirit of Racing. Racing is about being the fastest and most consistent throughout the race while pushing your machine to the max. If I am driving a Veyron along the Mulsanne straight and I see a standard Nissan GTR up my rear lining me up for a pass while I am doing 200mph + is just plain dumb. The whole point of a simulator, in particular relating to the cars is to simulate how any one car would perform in real life. Games will never get this simulation perfect, but developers are smart enough to simulate a Veyron smoking a GTR along a vast straight. After all a Veyron from 0-170mph is about twice as fast as a Nissan GTR.

There is nothing wrong with having an option for rubber banding, providing there is an option to turn it off!

To make things interesting, what I use to do on GT4, would choose a car that has a weaker straight line performance to my competitors, but arguably has better handling. I would then (during Arcade races) ramp up the AI level enough so that I was always on my toes during a race, where I was lapping the ring within 0.5 seconds per lap, which shows consistency on my part considering the ring is 12.8 miles long. If my best lap time was a 7:30 flat then I would be lapping mid to high 7:30s lap after lap, if I fell out of this pace, then I would have the A.I cars on me as the faster of the A.I cars were lapping also at this pace. Now if I was having a bad day, and chimed in with slower lap times, the A.I cars set at that level would still be lapping mid 07:30s. The cars I would compete with would all generally accelerate and handle as they should with the actual A.I drivers being the weakest link.

What I am trying to say is that there is no need to have rubber banding as with this example I am able to fashion my own races that suit my level. Rubber banding is just an easy way out of either making realistic A.I or being able to adjust the driving skill of the A.I.

Last edited:
It definitely doesn't make any sense to argue with someone who either doesn't understand what you're writing, or deliberately misinterprets your words.

If you really look at the answers to my quotes in Sinister's last post, you can see, that:
- the first is an empty statement,
- the second is a statement with a logical error,
- the third proves he didn't understand my statement in the quote,
- the fourth proves, he doesn't understand the difference between ten laps, each with an advantage of 0.2s and one lap with 2s difference followed by 9 without a difference,
- the fifth proves, he doesn't understand the difference between the word driving (as in fast driving, that wins real races) and racing an AI with an artificial set of rules, which make it sometimes easier to win if you stay under your abilities.

I am not sure if you know what racing is? According to your idea of what racing should entail, F1 would be time trial, and as much as I prefer Moto GP versus F1 due to Moto GP (in my opinion) being more exciting because the racing is closer, it does not mean to say that F1 is not in-fact a race due to more often then not a huge gap present between competing cars.

Thats why I said "Not REALLY racing" and for those reasons. Thats why I said it like that ;) However, if the average driver in F1 had the same car, they're wouldnt be the gaps we see (People playing this game are not 1st place F1 material, not by a long shot) So why would they think they deserve these gaps for being only "Comfortably Good" at it?

Rubber banding is not realistic

No, it isnt, but neither is the GAME as a whole. There is just SO MUCH at the track, that CAN'T be transfered into a 2D game, let alone a 2d game running on the PSP system......................

The AI as well as MANY other aspects of the game attempt to make it as close as possible while being a FUN GAME.

RB is to punish you for mistakes and keep the game fun to a wider group.

There is nothing wrong with having an option for rubber banding, providing there is an option to turn it off!

To make things interesting, what I use to do on GT4, would choose a car that has a weaker straight line performance to my competitors, but arguably has better handling. I would then (during Arcade races) ramp up the AI level enough so that I was always on my toes during a race, where I was lapping the ring within 0.5 seconds per lap, which shows consistency on my part considering the ring is 12.8 miles long. If my best lap time was a 7:30 flat then I would be lapping mid to high 7:30s lap after lap, if I fell out of this pace, then I would have the A.I cars on me as the faster of the A.I cars were lapping also at this pace. Now if I was having a bad day, and chimed in with slower lap times, the A.I cars set at that level would still be lapping mid 07:30s. The cars I would compete with would all generally accelerate and handle as they should with the actual A.I drivers being the weakest link.

Thats great, but this isnt GT4 and we dont have performance modifications.

MORE IMPORTANTLY (And this is what I was hinting to earlier) Is that there is NO Career mode, SO do that with GT4, go to a Single race at a track (Out side of the Career, but a Single race) You get to Choose a Difficulty level, but You have NO IDEA of there performance level (Hp of the cars) So how you made GT4 Doesnt apply to GT PSP because of the limitations of the PSP system / UMD.

What I am trying to say is that there is no need to have rubber banding as with this example I am able to fashion my own races that suit my level. Rubber banding is just an easy way out of either making realistic A.I or being able to adjust the driving skill of the A.I.

That WOULD be true IF this was GT4 we were talking about.

HOWEVER its not, its GT PSP, there is no Career Mode, and you dont know what cars, your going to race, and the only reason we know there HP is because they are all Stock ;) . Without the ability to change the performance of the car, or the ability to know the performance Limit of the cars in the race we are about to enter (Like its displayed in GT4's Career Mode)... Thats IMPOSIBLE...

Thats what you say after getting SHUT DOWN!

All you did was help me show how the AI and RB will help make you faster for the exact reason you say it wont. Thanks!

Last edited:
No, it isnt, but neither is the GAME as a whole. There is just SO MUCH at the track, that CAN'T be transfered into a 2D game, let alone a 2d game running on the PSP system

So how you made GT4 Doesnt apply to GT PSP because of the limitations of the PSP system / UMD.
Lack of effort on PD's part is not forgiven just because the game is on the PSP, and I really wish people would stop saying it is.

Thats why I said "Not REALLY racing" and for those reasons. Thats why I said it like that ;) However, if the average driver in F1 had the same car, they're wouldnt be the gaps we see (People playing this game are not 1st place F1 material, not by a long shot) So why would they think they deserve these gaps for being only "Comfortably Good" at it

Maybe there would not be gaps, but then it would be down to the driver skill and that only, if all F1 cars were the same. What most interesting about morotsport are the different machines, all with there pros and cons, as well as many drivers with diffferent abilities. All of this dictates the outcome of the race. And if you was not good enough then you would finish last regardless, and that is racing! RB is for when I play my little brother, of my GF's dad so that they have a slight chance in beating me, not for Die hard fans of GT. I am sure without RB the non GT freaks would still find a happy medium playing GT PSP.

No, it isnt, but neither is the GAME as a whole. There is just SO MUCH at the track, that CAN'T be transfered into a 2D game, let alone a 2d game running on the PSP system......................

Of course it is only a game, but having cars that accelerate and handle somewhere close to the real thing is not so hard. We all know that the Latest corvette lapped the ring in 7mins 20 somthing (can't remember the exact time) and if I was lapping in a Race Car under 7 mins and the said Corvette was still competitive due to RB spoils the game for me, because a standard Corvette would have no chance VS a full blown Race car that is capable of under 7min laps. The real driving simulator now becomes meaningless.

The AI as well as MANY other aspects of the game attempt to make it as close as possible while being a FUN GAME.

To me rubber banding takes the fun out of the game, as I want to it to be as close to real life as possible. And frankly standard cars accelerating and cornering way faster than possible due to RB once again ruins it for me.

RB is to punish you for mistakes and keep the game fun to a wider group.

There are better ways for this, like being able to set the AI's driver level, while still keeping the cars capabilities realistic.

Thats great, but this isnt GT4 and we dont have performance modifications.

MORE IMPORTANTLY (And this is what I was hinting to earlier) Is that there is NO Career mode, SO do that with GT4, go to a Single race at a track (Out side of the Career, but a Single race) You get to Choose a Difficulty level, but You have NO IDEA of there performance level (Hp of the cars) So how you made GT4 Doesnt apply to GT PSP because of the limitations of the PSP system / UMD.

If I set the AI level to max on GT4, and one of the AI cars happens to be a BMW M5 that I am racing againts, nothing changes other than the AI driver pushes the car harder mucgh like in B-spec mode. The M5 still accelerates like an M5 and corners like one too. (at least within the parameters of the Physics engine)

All you did was help me show how the AI and RB will help make you faster for the exact reason you say it wont. Thanks!

My pleasure:tup: :dopey:

Last edited:
Lack of effort on PD's part is not forgiven just because the game is on the PSP, and I really wish people would stop saying it does.

Look at it like this... Your NOT looking for a lack of RB so much as a REAL Career mode & what that would entail for the Game on a PSP system.

Career mode doesnt aply RB (Or as much) as a Single player race will need to inorder keep the race level.

Career mode gives every race a Limit (What cars are racing, Drive train, Hp of cars, how fast they are expected to run, what region the cars are from, an many other factors) This coupled with the ability to increase performance allows the user to & game to work together, where getting and improving cars with good driving leads to wins.

Sooo to impliment this GT PSP would need 2 things.

Career Mode

Performance Increasing abilities.

Why Doesnt it have them?

The reason is simple.... The LIMITATIONS of the PSP System and UMD speed.

It would require Alot more space to have a dedicated and lenthy Career Mode (Not needed as the game is to work with GT5, allowing cars to be transfered up) Think about what that would require....

Then there is Processing power.

AT THE MOMENT, GT PSP is using SO MUCH processing power to run as it is, its literally cut battery life almost in half. Do you really think it has room to spare? Do you think there is enough processing power to run 3 different complex AI systems on TOP of what the game is already doing????

Now the UMD is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW Even if the PSP could muster up the Processing power to get 3 AI cars running, could the UMD relay that info fast enough (PSP's internal ram/flash memory is SMALL) The PSP 1000 on top of this doesnt even have as much internal memory as the PSP lite and up, but still needs to have the ability to run the game.

If the PSP System could handle MORE and the UMD's were faster, then maybe a Career mode would of made sense, then all this RB bashing wouldnt be an issue. However becsause of the PSP's limitations we have to be gratefull for what we get, remember PD didnt even have to make this game, and Probably wont make another for the PSP for a while.

Did I even mention that any further development ALSO would of pushed the game back further...... How long could they really push back a PORT of GT4? Too much longer and it would of been irrelevant....

Lack of effort though, thats pretty strong, GT PSP has been developing while PD was also making GTHD /GT5p / GT5 when they really didnt have to. They then made it into a way that will allow the game to be coupled with GT5.

PD takes time making games to get them right, it took 5 years to PORT GT4 to PSP in a PSP edition, if it wasnt for a high level of effort and attention to detail, the game would of been dropped 2 years ago, and probably would of been crap.

Last edited:
So I've finally understood the point of the Rubber Banding in this game. it keeps you on your toes all the time. For the nurburgring example. At first when I was doing 7 minute laps in my car, the AI would be all over me and pass whenever I mess up even a little bit.

But, after much practice and harassment by the cheating AI, I've now gotten a lot better at the Nurbrugring than I ever was. Whereas before I would relax and slack off after I've left the AI in the dust, now I am forced to be familiar with the later sections of the track as well. It's a way for the game to force you to get better. S-rank in this game is basically training mode in preparation for GT5.
It's so blatant and obnoxious. If you do a 7'20 lap of the nurburgring, the AI will do 7'21, but when you do a 6'57 of the ring, the AI will do a 6'59. This all on A difficulty with the same RX-7 LM Race Car. No matter how well you drive, you won't be able to lose the AI.

When you drive fast, magically the AI defy the laws of gravity and take turns at twice the speed a car should and still go through the perfect racing line, when they go off road, they lose no traction and get right back on the track like nothing happened and then get a mighty burst of power to catch up to you in a straight even though you're using the same cars and you're deliberately not giving them any slip stream.

The person at PD needs to remember that this is a sim racer, not an arcade racer. If I drive well, I want to leave the AI well behind, I don't care for the computer that always sticks to me by cheating and pass if I even stray 1 inch onto the grass. It's especially frustrating when you do a perfect lap of the ring, and at the very end, you go onto the grass, and the AI pass right by, proving all your efforts useless, and you know they did it because they were granted the power of god by PD. This is worse than having rewind in game. If GT5 has this, I'll be very disappointed. What's the point of having amazing physics if only 1 driver on the whole track obeys them?

PD needs to release an update and fix this non-sense

This sounds alot like GT2. Cars swarm around you unless you've really got yourself a cheat-machine.

If I set the AI level to max on GT4, and one of the AI cars happens to be a BMW M5 that I am racing againts, nothing changes other than the AI driver pushes the car harder mucgh like in B-spec mode. The M5 still accelerates like an M5 and corners like one too. (at least within the parameters of the Physics engine)

The cars in AI Cars in GT4 Get Tunned, Performance increased to match the event at hand. In career mode there is limits inside each race, in a Single player race the limitations are only what you have the ability to choose, however the cars in both cases get tuning (Increased performance, and suspention setting changes) To show this Get into any race (Career Mode, or Single Race) where a AI driver is Driving the Series 1 Shelby, then look at the back tires. Even the Hp limit of the AI cars inside Career races will change depending on the Hp of your car even though the cars remain the same.

The AI Driving "Harder" in GT4 could be atributed, to an RB system dont you think (Not saying it is, I spent more of my Time in Time Attack to test it out in Depth). However RB doesnt just mean the cars are driving Faster then they should be able to, it also aplyes to a system that makes the AI drive "Harder" when the USER is ahead, essentially doing the same thing in the end...

The RB in GT PSP is nothing to complain about if you know anything about the RB in other PSP titles. Check out other titles like Dirt2. This shows what OTHER PSP tittle developers are doing and is a demonstration of the abilities of the system/developers with the system at this time.

Last edited:
Let me preface this post by saying that this isn't an issue of whether I like the rubber-band or not. Quite frankly, the most I can say now about the issue is that it is disappointing. This post is about whether or not we should lower our standards for the game just because it is on the PSP.

It would require Alot more space to have a dedicated and lenthy Career Mode
Patently false. Adding a career mode would have required some lines of code and some menu screens. Most of the ingredients of the traditional GT mode is already in GT PSP.

AT THE MOMENT, GT PSP is using SO MUCH processing power to run as it is, its literally cut battery life almost in half. Do you really think it has room to spare? Do you think there is enough processing power to run 3 different complex AI systems on TOP of what the game is already doing????
Certainly. This is the same system that is capable of running ports of PS2 games without much sacrifice, and there were games with completely competitive non-RB AI as far back as the original Playstation.

Now the UMD is SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW Even if the PSP could muster up the Processing power to get 3 AI cars running, could the UMD relay that info fast enough (PSP's internal ram/flash memory is SMALL) The PSP 1000 on top of this doesnt even have as much internal memory as the PSP lite and up, but still needs to have the ability to run the game.
UMD speed doesn't mean anything when most of the game's resources are loaded into memory before the race (for reference, the maximum DVD read speed on the PS2 is technically lower than that of UMD, and the PSP has the same amount of RAM as the PS2). The AI actions wouldn't be constantly streamed off of the disc because that would be a completely idiotic way to handle it (what if the disc skipped? Are all the AI cars going to crash?).

However becsause of the PSP's limitations we have to be gratefull for what we get, remember PD didnt even have to make this game, and Probably wont make another for the PSP for a while.
THE PSP DOES NOT HAVE LIMITATIONS OF THAT MAGNITUDE. This is the same system, less than a year after launch, that had a near-perfect port of Toca Race Driver 2. Just because PD was stretched for time or didn't care to include proper AI or a career mode or things of that nature does not mean that the PSP isn't capable of doing these things, because the facts simply do not support such an argument. This isn't the piddly DS we are talking about. This is a handheld system nearly as powerful as the mainstay of the last generation, and nothing prevented the GT series from having competent AI last gen either.

All of this comes to this:
Did I even mention that any further development ALSO would of pushed the game back further...... How long could they really push back a PORT of GT4? Too much longer and it would of been irrelevant....
I've already said that this is a valid reason for the game having rubber band AI, and if that was proven to be the case I would completely understand PD's choice surrounding the matter. But as far as the PSP's capabilities go, there is no technical reason for the PSP to not be able to do better.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back