I need a new PS4 controller

• Thread starter BloodRaven
  • 20 comments
United States
United States
Blood_Raven_70
My PS4 controller is starting to go bonkers.....or is already there, maybe. The left joystick will drift/jump to the left at time. This is especially annoying in livery editor. And now the L2 button is starting to not work, sometimes. Again, in livery editor, this is rather annoying.

I haven't noticed anything major in races.....yet. But I'm hoping to avoid that and just wan a controller that works normally. But the dang things are still $60/ea.

Does anyone have any experience with non-Sony brand (i.e., cheaper) controllers?

My PS4 controller is starting to go bonkers.....or is already there, maybe. The left joystick will drift/jump to the left at time. This is especially annoying in livery editor. And now the L2 button is starting to not work, sometimes. Again, in livery editor, this is rather annoying.

I haven't noticed anything major in races.....yet. But I'm hoping to avoid that and just wan a controller that works normally. But the dang things are still $60/ea.

Does anyone have any experience with non-Sony brand (i.e., cheaper) controllers?
Have you tried to recalabrating it using a paperclip and pushing in in the hole on the bottom of the controller.

Tried the reset, still the same. Actually, it's getting worse, now. I think I'm going to just have to get a new one. I'm going to look around locally this week to see if I can find one before looking online.

I just looked and seen several on ebay for 36/45 dollars just make sure it's "new" with free shipping.

Yes I really wouldn't recommend buying one on ebay, especially if it seems cheaper than it should be and from a random seller. Buy from a trusted supplier if you want a genuine one. The fake ones are poorly made.

You're a lucky man then. It's a widely known thing, really, and it isn't new. I wouldn't chance it myself.
Nice thing about using PayPal if you don't like it get a refund. If it is a fake they sure went to a lot of trouble printing box and everything else that it came in.

Nice thing about using PayPal if you don't like it get a refund. If it is a fake they sure went to a lot of trouble printing box and everything else that it came in.
Yeah, I mean, that's the point of faking something. I myself would rather just avoid the hassle.

Just Google Fake PS4 controllers, there is plenty of info online about them. Yours may well be genuine but it's well documented that ebay and other similar places like Amazon Marketplace are flooded with fakes.

Yes you can just get a refund but it can be a hassle sometimes, having to send proof, waiting for a response and so on. much easier to just make sure you get a genuine in the first place.

Last edited:
Tried the reset, still the same. Actually, it's getting worse, now. I think I'm going to just have to get a new one. I'm going to look around locally this week to see if I can find one before looking online.
The best way is to buy a new one from your local game shop or a retail store that supplies them, unless you can not buy a PS4 controller at your local store, and then you have to buy it online.

The best way is to buy a new one from your local game shop or a retail store that supplies them, unless you can not buy a PS4 controller at your local store, and then you have to buy it online.
That's what I was thinking. There used to be a GameStop-type store not far from my house. I don't know if it's still there because it's rare that I drive down that road. But I may take a drive by there this week to see.

Things like that are often available at pawn shops. :)
Tried pawn shops (plenty of Xbox controllers), as well as Game Stop. There used to be a local Game Stop-type store close to me, but it's closed (no longer in business). Nobody had one. When I got home, I went to the Playstation site and ordered one from there. Being a PS+ member, I got free express shipping (1-2 business days). Hopefully it comes by next Tuesday.

I just checked my email, and it said my new controller is on the way. It also said it would be delivered tomorrow. If that's true, then that's certainly 1 business day shipping. Of course, it's coming from Atlanta; which is just a little over 3 hours from me. So if it DOES show up tomorrow, then I'll be very happy. Hell, if it shows up this week I'll be happy.

The tracking number is for UPS, but I don't know if they used their Surepost shipping or their standard ground shipping. If they used the Surepost shipping, then it'll be delivered to me by the USPS. Either way, I won't get it until later in the day. The mail gets delivered to me anywhere from 8:00am (rare) to 9:00pm (yep, that late). And UPS deliveries usually show up between 5:00-6:30pm.

Either way, I'm glad to be getting an actual controller so I won't have to use my phone, anymore. I may buy another controller next week so I'll have a backup.

Just in case.....

I'm only seeing this thread now, but I wouldn't recommend getting a cheap third party controller if you're going to use it to play GT. The problem with controllers like that is that their manufacturers leave out certain internal components in order to cut costs. In terms of the analog sticks this means that they lack the sensitivity a game like Gran Turismo requires. I've actually bought a controller like that some time ago and I've had no trouble whatsoever playing through Persona 5 with it. However if I fired up GT Sport and entered a race on SSRX I would only make it to the first corner before my inability to keep a steady line through the turn would see me cause absolute mayhem.

As far as I can tell Sony has pretty much ceased the sale of DS4s in Europe. My current controller is starting to go wonky too and looking for a replacement the only place where I could find one was Amazon. And even there it's taking about a month to get to me which means that it's definitely coming from outside of Europe. That is not a good prospect at all, especially seeing how GT7 is coming out on PS4 as well, meaning that a decent amount of players might still be looking for a spare DS4 a few years down the line. And this is an issue that's only going to get worse with time. I've actually had the same availability issue with DS3s as well which makes it hard to go back and play GT5/GT6. Even though the PS5 controller is actually compatible with the PS3, the GT games unfortunately are an exception and can't be played with the DualSense. I really don't mind paying more than usual if it means that I'm getting a decent product, however so far I haven't had any luck looking for a proper third party DS3/DS4 replacement.

Back