I recently bought the G27 for GT6 - need some advice

Belgium
Belgium
Recently I bought the G27. I tested the G27 for a few hours on GT5, but i found out it's much harder than driving in real life. (I don't push the limits on the roads)

I was a little demotivated when i tried to drive any cars that didn't had soft tiers or too much horsepower to handle.

So i decided to call GT5 a day and wait for GT6 and start fresh.

Can you guys give me some pointers on how to become a good driver with a G27? I never played online but that's my goal to be a decent clean driver online.

It takes some practice to get use to the G27. Practicing with it for about 1-2 weeks should get you comfortable with it. I would suggest that you make sure it is mounted securely and ergonomically, and just keep practicing.

Just to give you a reference my DF:GT (which is simpler I suppose since it has no clutch) took me about a month to get up to speed with what I could do on a DS3. I did a lot of simple tracks like Daytona at first and used simple cars like with 400pp or so. I think every person learns at different speeds though. It may be discouraging but keep at it. It is so much more fun with a wheel.

Don't worry, at first I felt like you, and now I love it! My settings are power steering ON and force feedback 2. At first I couldn't drift and now I am learning slowly. Also, now I make better times than with pad (ie nissan gtr trophy in nurburgring). I also looove driving with clutch, it's like real life!!

My personal G27 settings are: Force feedback 7
Driving menu settings: ABS 1(everything else off)
Advice: minimal, accurately timed, smooth inputs (pedal and wheel)will generally translate to faster lap times. When accelerating, you'll notice throttle control is more important. One of the many benefits of a the G27 over a DS3 is the ability to more accurately hold an angle on the wheel while turning. Also, my braking has become more precise since I bought the G27 in 2012. If you do not have a personal rig built(or bought), I recommend it to save your back. Poor posture will contribute to diminished concentration while driving for extended periods. Hope that helps!

^^^ Wise words.

I would add that, compared to driving a real car, you have no "seat of the pants" feel due to the lack of G-forces and vibration (unless you have a sophisticated rig) on you. This means that "reading" what is happening at the wheel is far more important - it is your only source of info. You have to learn to tune in to what it is saying to you , Grasshopper 👍

@AlexanderGT6 Switching from controller to wheel is always difficult and will require some miles for you to get used to it.
I had the same problem when i got my G27 for GT5P.

On the wheel you can adjust the force feedback to a level you feel comfortable with. Imo. too high setting can be a bit disturbing.
You can enable aids on your car like TSC and ASR to prevent sliding and wheel-spin.
Active steering will compensate for faults you make and help you point the car in the right direction.
SRF is a magic button from PD witch makes the car defy gravity and will keep you safe:)

Driving with aids is can be a good way to start getting used to a wheel, but I do recommend to set the wheel to "simulation" and all aids off once you get the hang of it.
In my opinion this enhances the driving experience a lot.

Good luck with the wheel!

A stock BRZ or FR-S on CS tires is a good way to get used to driving with the wheel. Fast enough to be exciting, a touch of oversteer if driven right. Controllable but not a piece of cake. ABS on 1 (GT5, don't think it's the same in GT6) and everything on the car stock. Pick tracks you're familiar with. I'd suggest starting with the FFB a little lower like around 3 or 4. You'll be doing a lot of sawing back and forth of the wheel at first, it's easier with lower settings.

Start out with slower cars & don't push too hard. Learn heel and toe if you use the H-shifter in high powered cars. It makes downshifting so much smoother.

As everyone has said, it just takes a little time to get used to. When I got my first wheel, a Logitech Momo, I almost packed it away forever as I couldn't get close to the times I was doing with a controller in the games I was playing at the time. Then after a couple weeks things started to click, you learn to interpret more information from the wheel alone, like what SpeedyK mentioned.

The g27 is a fantastic wheel, stick with it, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
One common mistake is not counter-steering soon enough to correct (or hold) a skid. I'd always correct a little too late and even at full opposite lock there would be no recovering. Like anything it just takes practice. Initially, my lap times on the G27 were no where near my controller times but eventually that changed. I agree with Johnnypenso that the BRZ or FR-S would be a good car to practice with.

G27 is awesome. Stick with it. Youll get the hang of it.

The only thing that annoys me is you cant adjust steering lock in GT.
Wheel users are at a great disadvantage when it comes to drifting.
Other than that, your G27 will provide a much better, more involved experience, compared to ds3 in every way.

Not comparable to real life, ofcourse. Its a video game.

Could you explain why?

I don't have a wheel by the way.

For a ds3 user, steering lock to lock is just a flick of the thumb.
For the wheel, you have to rotate it all the way. Alot more work and Very very hectic.
The smaller wheel diameter doesnt help either.

Practice it until it becomes comfortable, it really has to feel like second nature and that can only come with time. GT6 is not going to be a lot different and if you're inexperienced (as it would appear) then you may not even notice the subtle differences under the hood.

Definitely start with slower cars, get a feel for it all and then after a few weeks you will be fully integrated so to speak. I personally bought my G27 for GT5, but I got it a few months before GT5 came out. So I actually spent my time training on Rfactor, I started on the formula training car using driving aids and raced my way through each series until I got F1, then I did it again turning off the driving aids as I got better, before I moved to explore the rest of the PC sim world and the launch of GT5.

I was already a Gran Turismo vet long before I got my wheel, I played GT4 with a pad and beat the game 100% all challenges and licences golded etc... But when I got a wheel (and Rfactor) I had a task of re-learning. By time GT5 released I was very comfortable with the wheel and had become pretty good, found I could barely play using a pad anymore.

Practice, Practice, Practice -- it is well worth it. After years with only a control pad to drive it took time to adjust to the wheel. Learning curve was about 2-3 weeks before I became comfortable. Even longer for my times to drop over the pad. However, the game experience is much more enjoyable with my G27 than it ever was with just a DS3.

how do you change the ffb settings can't find any options anywhere?

Press start in the main menu and go down to steering wheels. It should give options of power steering and FFB at the top if I remember correctly, although I presume you figured this out since it's like 25 days later :P

My advice is to start with a low powered car in the 400-450PP range. Once you get the feel of the wheel and pedals, step up to more powerful cars in the 500-550PP range.

And if you start to know the limits of the car you're driving, and you can keep them under control, you will have a GREAT time playing GT6.

When you get used with the G27, it is is way better than the DS3. You'll also enjoy GT6 more than you have ever done before.

Also, if you have the money, I would really advice you to buy a rig for your G27. I myself use the PLAYSEAT Revolution, and it is an excellent combo with the G27! Although they are quite pricey...

Anyways, ENJOY your G27! Maybe I'll see you on the track as well :)

My advice is to start with a low powered car in the 400-450PP range. Once you get the feel of the wheel and pedals, step up to more powerful cars in the 500-550PP range.

And if you start to know the limits of the car you're driving, and you can keep them under control, you will have a GREAT time playing GT6.

When you get used with the G27, it is is way better than the DS3. You'll also enjoy GT6 more than you have ever done before.

Also, if you have the money, I would really advice you to buy a rig for your G27. I myself use the PLAYSEAT Revolution, and it is an excellent combo with the G27! Although they are quite pricey...

Anyways, ENJOY your G27! Maybe I'll see you on the track as well :)

Yeah, I started with the dinky little controller thing but it makes it very difficult to drive.
Think about it, even R/C Car controllers have little wheels on them. I bought the G-27 and all of a sudden life on the track got away easier.

As I got better and began driving race cars in GT5, I found the M/R cars needed more steering input to go through chicanes at speed due to the initial understeer. I cranked up the steering sensitivity to 2 in the pre-race menu, set the ABS to 1 and all the other aids off. I found this setting works well for all cars, except F-1, and the Karts, where I will go back to Zero on the sensitivity. Give that a shot and see how you like it. I started with the setting at 1 shortly after I got the wheel, but soon bumped it up to 2.

I built a plywood wooden box inside of which I mounted my pedals very securely on the floor, and had a slab of 3/4" plywood on the top of the box to mount the wheel and shift lever on. I use the paddles under the wheel for all shifting chores and so I never use the gearshift lever anyway, but it's nice to have it handy to start the race or pause it or do most of the stuff you did on the DS3 or whatever its called. I mounted the shifter next to the wheel.

The beauty of the G-27 is that it gives you force feedback which is different for every car. I can feel that ass-heavy Porche when I'm braking into a corner, so much so, that I can anticipate rear end breakaway, and prevent it. In my opinion, the G-27 converts the arcade game, to a simulation, and your senses start to pick up clues from it about what is going on with the car. Probably, most of us will never be able to afford a control platform that rocks from side to side and tips from back to front to simulate braking and cornering etc, but with the wheel and the visual cues from the screen, our imagination seems to supply the G-Forces that are missing. That is why I built my open ended plywood box to drive in, I had already wrecked a couple of coffee tables getting a bit carried away!!! So I built the box, glued, screwed, and gusseted in the corners with 2X2" bracing. No more broken tables!!

I will probably build another wheel mounting box incorporating an adjustable car seat this Spring instead of the camp chair that I use now. There are some threads in the GT6 forums about building platforms/boxes which are quite nice with pedals suspended upside down from the usual floor mounting, more like a race car, but with no wheels. This months Road and Track has a 3 page article on how to build a simple rig like this for GT drivers. You can get a used car seat, complete with adjustable track for under 50 bucks at the auto wrecker. Something to keep in mind for the future. It's nice to be able to keep your wheel setup portable but integrated so that you don't have to break it down every time you use it and put it away. For some reason my wife gets ticked off with my rig sitting in front of the TV all the time, so now I just stick it in another room or in the garage when not in use. My rig has it's own 32 inch LED TV also. This is very light and could be mounted on the patform or not.

Another way to reduce annoyance to the loved ones is to get a SONY PS3 headset that gives you better sound than the TV speakers but cuts out all the sound to people in the room or in the house. Now with the tire squeal from GT-6 sounding like half a dozen preteen girls at a Justin Beiber concert, the headset is a good thing!

Hope this is of some help,
Mustangxr

Yeah, I started with the dinky little controller thing but it makes it very difficult to drive.
Think about it, even R/C Car controllers have little wheels on them. I bought the G-27 and all of a sudden life on the track got away easier.

As I got better and began driving race cars in GT5, I found the M/R cars needed more steering input to go through chicanes at speed due to the initial understeer. I cranked up the steering sensitivity to 2 in the pre-race menu, set the ABS to 1 and all the other aids off. I found this setting works well for all cars, except F-1, and the Karts, where I will go back to Zero on the sensitivity. Give that a shot and see how you like it. I started with the setting at 1 shortly after I got the wheel, but soon bumped it up to 2.

I built a plywood wooden box inside of which I mounted my pedals very securely on the floor, and had a slab of 3/4" plywood on the top of the box to mount the wheel and shift lever on. I use the paddles under the wheel for all shifting chores and so I never use the gearshift lever anyway, but it's nice to have it handy to start the race or pause it or do most of the stuff you did on the DS3 or whatever its called. I mounted the shifter next to the wheel.

The beauty of the G-27 is that it gives you force feedback which is different for every car. I can feel that ass-heavy Porche when I'm braking into a corner, so much so, that I can anticipate rear end breakaway, and prevent it. In my opinion, the G-27 converts the arcade game, to a simulation, and your senses start to pick up clues from it about what is going on with the car. Probably, most of us will never be able to afford a control platform that rocks from side to side and tips from back to front to simulate braking and cornering etc, but with the wheel and the visual cues from the screen, our imagination seems to supply the G-Forces that are missing. That is why I built my open ended plywood box to drive in, I had already wrecked a couple of coffee tables getting a bit carried away!!! So I built the box, glued, screwed, and gusseted in the corners with 2X2" bracing. No more broken tables!!

I will probably build another wheel mounting box incorporating an adjustable car seat this Spring instead of the camp chair that I use now. There are some threads in the GT6 forums about building platforms/boxes which are quite nice with pedals suspended upside down from the usual floor mounting, more like a race car, but with no wheels. This months Road and Track has a 3 page article on how to build a simple rig like this for GT drivers. You can get a used car seat, complete with adjustable track for under 50 bucks at the auto wrecker. Something to keep in mind for the future. It's nice to be able to keep your wheel setup portable but integrated so that you don't have to break it down every time you use it and put it away. For some reason my wife gets ticked off with my rig sitting in front of the TV all the time, so now I just stick it in another room or in the garage when not in use. My rig has it's own 32 inch LED TV also. This is very light and could be mounted on the patform or not.

Another way to reduce annoyance to the loved ones is to get a SONY PS3 headset that gives you better sound than the TV speakers but cuts out all the sound to people in the room or in the house. Now with the tire squeal from GT-6 sounding like half a dozen preteen girls at a Justin Beiber concert, the headset is a good thing!

Hope this is of some help,
Mustangxr
Cool story! You are right about the G27, it turns the game into a more of a realistic driving experience than the controller. And you have more feel of the car,and what its doing, you can feel the chassis and tires more than you can with a controller.
Cool to hear about your rig as well! I would love to build a rig myself, but I don't have the space to build one, sadly.

So I bought my rig from PLAYSEAT instead, and I'm very happy with it! As for the TV, I also use a 32" LED TV. But the nice thing about my TV is that it has an AUX-connection, so I use my AKG headset for gaming, as well as using it with my iPhone.

Anyways, great story, and I hope your G27 and rig last for a long time in the future! (Had my G27 for 4 years without any problems!)

I saw this thread last week, and it's completely changed the game for me being able to adjust the steering lock. Drifting is so much easier with the wheel now if I reduce the lock.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/g27-g25-dfgt-undocumented-wheel-lock-settings-guide.286646/

Yup, me too, this was a game changer. Before using these adjustments the game was getting frustrating, could never counter-steer quick enough so always spun out, no matter the car. Changing settings to the narrow lock made a world of difference for Kart and GT Fan car racing! Still having trouble with my drifting, but that's more an issue of throttle control.

The steering wheel is much much smaller than in your actual car. So you have to move it twice as fast. There are kits to put larger wheels and paddles on your G27.

Also an actual racing seat was night and day difference for me. I could race with a stand, but missed shifts a lot because of the unnatural shifter location.

Don't give up on it though. I can gold the seasonals and usually top 5 in most online Lobbies. A wheel makes the game so much more fun.

Back