I regret buying this game...

• Thread starter nummer0
  • 128 comments
Serbia
Serbia
At release.

Now, don't get me wrong - I love Gran Turismo, however the way GT7 currently is just kills all the fun out of it. The payouts in GTS were ok, nothing special but at least money wasn't unobtainable.

In GT7 the ammount of grinding required is just too much. Together with a stupid legendary/used car rotation system and invitation system makes for a really fun-free experience.

I bought this game to enjoy virtual cars and to have fun, in current state the game doesn't allow me to have that. Also, 20mil cap again?!

Right now I've completed all the licences, missions and café menus. And the fun from the game just faded away. Car customization is great but what good is it when R34 costs 400k (when you can find it), add items to that and it becomes almost a million. That's an hour of grinding for one "fun" car experience? Not worth it in my book. I'll just wait and hope for seasonal events which will hopefully pay better, or at least hope for a nerf in the credits system.
Also, track challenges yield no reward apart from some low ammount of credits! What's up with that?

I noticed myself that the R34 has more than quadrupled in price compared to GT Sport. I think it’s something like 96k in that game.

It feels like one of those really expensive arcade games where you pay $/£2 and have to play on the hardest difficulty level, and everything runs out really quickly so you have to keep feeding coins into it.
Daylight robbery. In a console game.

I noticed myself that the R34 has more than quadrupled in price compared to GT Sport. I think it’s something like 96k in that game.

It feels like one of those really expensive arcade games where you pay $/£2 and have to play on the hardest difficulty level, and everything runs out really quickly so you have to keep feeding coins into it.
It’s supposed to reflect what the car goes for irl. A mint R34 will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars now a days. All of those “affordable” jdm cars we used to lust over in the early games have become collector cars.

Last edited:
It’s supposed to reflect what the car goes for irl. A mint R34 will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars now a days. All of those “affordable” jdm cars we used to lust over in the early games have become collector cars.
A Celica GT Four and Honda S2000 are 100,000. Way away from current pricing.

Only on free credits. Paid credits, from MTX, are unlimited of course. :boggled:
I mean, if someone is happy to spend over $200 on credits I don't really have a problem with them being able to go above the credit limit.

I'm just as bothered by the low payouts/higher prices as anyone else is but if you look at how much MTXs cost it is insanely bad value, you could argue that because of how much cheaper car's were in GT Sport that it was much more tempting for time poor people to spend a few $. Now you probably have to spend up to 10x as much to buy the same car on GT7.

For a game that is trying to incentivise people to purchase MTXs, this doesn't seem like the kind of business model that would encourage that. If anything the people who spent money in GT Sport and were prepared to spend money in GT7 are actually worse off than we are, not that anyone is going to feel particularly sorry for them I imagine.

I mean, if someone is happy to spend over $200 on credits I don't really have a problem with them being able to go above the credit limit.
I do, because it shouldn't be there at all in a $70 game.

It shows that there is no reason for the credit cap other than another thing pushing people toward buying MTX. The 20 million cap means you can't save up as much money as you'd need to buy multiple very high cost cars, which do not last long.

Last edited:
At release.

Now, don't get me wrong - I love Gran Turismo, however the way GT7 currently is just kills all the fun out of it. The payouts in GTS were ok, nothing special but at least money wasn't unobtainable.

In GT7 the ammount of grinding required is just too much. Together with a stupid legendary/used car rotation system and invitation system makes for a really fun-free experience.

I bought this game to enjoy virtual cars and to have fun, in current state the game doesn't allow me to have that. Also, 20mil cap again?!

Right now I've completed all the licences, missions and café menus. And the fun from the game just faded away. Car customization is great but what good is it when R34 costs 400k (when you can find it), add items to that and it becomes almost a million. That's an hour of grinding for one "fun" car experience? Not worth it in my book. I'll just wait and hope for seasonal events which will hopefully pay better, or at least hope for a nerf in the credits system.
Also, track challenges yield no reward apart from some low ammount of credits! What's up with that?
I agree tbh. I don't hate the game but in its current state it is not worth £70 by a long shot. There is hardly any content and the progression system is at a crawl. So everything is expensive and there is barely hardly races t obtain credits so you are stuck repeating the same races over and over making you get burnt out from the game quickly. The single player contains 90 races and GT Sport has over 300. So yh we got missions and circuit experience but at the cost of 2/3 of races. I would much rather than release missions as an update and gave us more races. Most of the game is just licenses and stuff similar to licenses lol. Where the races be at?
Then also there is only 2 events in the hole game that actually pay some what a bearable amount of credits (Gr.4 High speed circuit and another race on the same track) so as you can imagine it gets frustrating that every time you wanna new car you have to rinse that track for a couple hours. Another disappointment is it is basically the same as GT sport with a couple extra things to play around with. Gran Turismo hasn't made a huge innovation in god knows how many years. The core racing still looks and feels the same as it did on the Ps3. Why when I crash do I not see cosmetic damage, why can you not rotate the camera in chase camera, why is there no loose chase camera option for drifting rather then it just be stuck to the back of the car, tracks just feel basic and vegetation is dead, etc... Its my just an opinion but overall this game wasn't a next gen experience but more just single player update to GT sport + tuning.
I just don't understand how they released this game thinking that with how little content it has to offer that its worth £70. Then when people say "But updates are coming" that doesn't matter. I paid £70 so I should receive £70 worth of content, not £30 now and then the other £40 over the course of 5 years. The other content is there to keep me interested in the game and possibly spend more money on it. But at these credit prices and the lack of content it will be lucky if it stays on my playstation.
I do enjoy the game and not just running it down but I am starting to get bored of it and my play sessions are getting shorter each time I start it up.
This is probably gonna be the last GT game I ever buy unless the next one actually make a real difference. Definitely never pre ordering again.

While this is very true for IRL, I'm honestly not sure if it really needs to be reflected in a game.

Isn't GT supposed to be quite the escapist experience? To drive the cars we many never afford IRL? Them reflecting IRL prices in GT7 just pulls me away from that escapist fantasy and only reminds me of how awful the car market is currently. 10 years ago, an R34 GT-R was nowhere near as expensive as it is now... :indiff:

Last edited:
I do, because it shouldn't be there at all in a $70 game.

It shows that there is no reason for the credit cap other than another thing pushing people toward buying MTX. The 20 million cap means you can't save up as much money as you'd need to buy multiple very high cost cars, which do not last long.
Regardless of how stupid a mechanic the credit limit is (and it absolutely is stupid); how many people do you honestly think are being pushed to spend hundreds on MTXs to get around it? If someone is prepared to spend that much on MTXs I promise you that they didn't need an ounce of encouragement to do so.

Regardless of how stupid a mechanic the credit limit is (and it absolutely is stupid); how many people do you honestly think are being pushed to spend hundreds on MTXs to get around it? If someone is prepared to spend that much on MTXs I promise you that they didn't need an ounce of encouragement to do so.
It's definitely not a major factor in making people buy MTX, but the fact it's even a thing is still insidious all the same.

While this is very true for IRL, I'm honestly not sure if it really needs to be reflected in a game.

Isn't GT supposed to be quite the escapist experience? To drive the cars we many never afford IRL? Them reflecting IRL prices in GT7 just pulls me away from that escapist fantasy and only reminds me of how awful the car market is currently. 10 years ago, an R34 GT-R was nowhere near as expensive as it is now... :indiff:
I’m the type of guy who is always watching Bring a trailer or Barrett Jackson auctions so I think it’s pretty interesting.

Whether many people give into the pressure or not is irrelevant, the fact is that Polyphony has made the attempt at pressuring people into buying extremely expensive microtransactions to get around extremely long grinds. This is a very bad thing, it has affected the balance of the game, and it is incredibly predatory on Polyphony's part whether it's successful or not. We should not be okay with this type of practice.

Last edited:

Not really an issue though is it, when after a few hours playing you'll get the R33/R34/R35 for free anyway.

Also yesterday I got 1,000,000 from daily workout ticket. 😂🤷‍♂️

Whether many people give into the pressure or not is irrelevant, the fact is that Polyphony has made the attempt at pressuring people into buying extremely expensive microtransactions to get around extremely long grinds. This is a very bad thing, it has affected the balance of the game, and it is incredibly predatory on Polyphony's part whether it's successful or not. We should not be okay with this type of practice.
I feel no pressure to buy these at all. 30 bucks for 2 mil is a rip.

Exactly this.

I paid $85 at release for a GAME. I don't want the realities of monetary management which affect us all (mostly all of us) in reality to affect us in virtual world aswell.

I want to buy a BMW M5 but I can't afford it in real life, so obviously I would want to do it in a game, however, in game I also can't afford my dream purchases? What gives?!

Watched a movie with my wife (Ford vs. Ferrari) and I wanted to show my wife the cars (GT40 Mk.1 and P330) and, behold - I couldn't! Not only do I not have it, or have money for it - but I can't even showcase it without owning it.

I feel no pressure to buy these at all. 30 bucks for 2 mil is a rip.
Again, whether it succeeds on you or any individual or any percentage of people is irrelevant. Polyphony is trying, and it will work on some people, vulnerable people who should not be abused through psychological manipulation into draining their bank accounts. You and I will not buy credits, but still we are affected, through the changes Polyphony made in this effort to pressure people to buy credits; we now must endure longer grinds on less races to collect cars, while the stated goal of the game is car collection. The few who will give in to the pressure are affected by their money going to nothing, money they may need to take care of themselves and their families. And while those individuals are still responsible for throwing their money away, Polyphony is more responsible for pressuring those people to begin with.

For a game that is trying to incentivise people to purchase MTXs, this doesn't seem like the kind of business model that would encourage that.
You could say the same thing about gambling. And yet there are still people who've lost relatives and everything they own on it.
If anything the people who spent money in GT Sport and were prepared to spend money in GT7 are actually worse off than we are, not that anyone is going to feel particularly sorry for them I imagine.
They are clearly targeting what's known as "whales" in the F2P industry. The idea is not to get pennies from many but big bucks from the "gullible" few. There's a clip on Youtube from a F2P game developer conference where the (sociopathic?) speaker gleefully explains all the mechanics they use to lure them in.

And there are many people (and I'm one of them) who feel sorry for those who get exploited by these tricks.

It's definitely not a major factor in making people buy MTX, but the fact it's even a thing is still insidious all the same.
But can you explain why? I mean, if we can agree that realistically, no one is going to be buying hundreds of dollars worth of MTXs to get around a 20million credit limit, why is that malicious or show any intent at all that there is a conscious drive to push people towards MTXs?

I would totally and completely understand this argument if MTXs prices per cars hadn't changed, but the payouts and prices had still made it harder for non-paying players to build a collection. But that isn't the case, like I pointed out earlier, the price of buying a car with MTXs has increased significantly more than the price of buying with credits.

It is my opinion that players are less incentivised to purchase MTXs in this game than they were in GTSport. I, like most people wish that credit payouts were a lot higher than they are now, but I find it difficult to find evidence that there is a push to get players to spend money on MTXs, sorry. In my opinion it looks like it simply takes more time/more money spent on MTXs to get the credits needed to purchase cars and upgrades than it did in say GTSport.

Again, whether it succeeds on you or any individual or any percentage of people is irrelevant. Polyphony is trying, and it will work on some people, vulnerable people who should not be abused through psychological manipulation into draining their bank accounts. You and I will not buy credits, but still we are affected, through the changes Polyphony made in this effort to pressure people to buy credits; we now must endure longer grinds on less races to collect cars, while the stated goal of the game is car collection. The few who will give in to the pressure are affected by their money going to nothing, money they may need to take care of themselves and their families. And while those individuals are still responsible for throwing their money away, Polyphony is more responsible for pressuring those people to begin with.
Honestly I feel little sympathy for the whales of gaming, they will never go away and they are the ones who encourage developers to do this. I know a guy who has spent over 2300 cad on skins and blueprints for Warzone, a ****ing free game.

Honestly I feel little sympathy for the whales of gaming, they will never go away and they are the ones who encourage developers to do this. I know a guy who has spent over 2300 cad on skins and blueprints for Warzone, a ****ing free game.
There would not be whales if the games did not pressure people into being whales. A pressure that works on few, but the effects can be terrible. There is nothing we can do about people who will give in to that pressure beyond removing the source of the problem, being the game companies that continue to ask that whales throw away their money.

I've been mulling on this for a while since release and I can think of a few things, drawing first on a comparison to GTS.

In GTS the credits and cars were (fairly) easy to come by, with the exception of some of the unicorn cars (20m credits etc.). I'm OK with that, as it makes those purchases mean something - which is what I like. That said, the MTX in GTS were fairly unobtrusive and I never felt compelled to pay for a car with real cash.

That said, in GT7 the scarcity is something I don't enjoy - both credits and cars. Whilst I love the concept of the legend cars dealer, it frustrates me that the cars I want aren't available - irrelevant of credit balance. By all means have a higher price if you want their curator to go and source you a vehicle - just like real life - but to be sat here looking for a 22B, 787B, GT40 and a few others and having literally no option but to hope they come up on a rotation where I can actually get on the game is ridiculous.

I don't, interesting, mind the values of the cars increasing... An R34 GTR is expensive, no doubt, so it makes it a different buying decision compared to an R32 for example, which is cheaper. That 100% should be reflected IMO, however the credits aren't as free-flowing as they should be IMO. Doing half an hour of a stupid dirt race just to be able to afford a car in game that is only available for a few days because of a designed game mechanic suggests to me the game isn't balanced properly.

I'm not expecting to have 157 million credits by the end of the cafe menus (the cost of all brand central cars, FYI), however I would expect to be able to afford one of the unicorns by completing the cafe menus and licence tests - should I come first.

I also dislike the impossibility of selling vehicles - especially those I've used credits for. Perhaps this will change, but it's a mechanic that only ever works against the player anyway. Buy a car for 1 million and you only get back 400k (or whatever percentage) - but importantly it allows me to capitalise when one of my dream cars is in the legend cars dealer. Or let me 'part ex' it, for example.

Whilst I am 100% loving GT7, and am not having any buyer's remorse at all, I do think that the balancing in the game could be improved greatly.

For example, another thing hit me the other day - why do roulette tickets have an expiry? I genuinely cannot fathom WHY this would be? Car purchase invitations - perhaps - but roulette tickets? What is the purpose?

You could say the same thing about gambling. And yet there are still people who've lost relatives and everything they own on it.

They are clearly targeting what's known as "whales" in the F2P industry. The idea is not to get pennies from many but big bucks from the "gullible" few. There's a clip on Youtube from a F2P game developer conference where the (sociopathic?) speaker gleefully explains all the mechanics they use to lure them in.

And there are many people (and I'm one of them) who feel sorry for those who get exploited by these tricks.
Having personally had problems with MTXs in the past, particularly the gambling style ones, I am well aware of how people can be manipulated into spending money on MTXs. I don't see the connection to gambling, sorry, because there is no random element to the MTXs in this game. If they were selling roulette tickets as MTXs I would immediately have a problem with that, but as it is, I have a very hard problem viewing the MTX model in this game as predatory.

I want to be clear that I'm not attempting to defend MTXs in any shape or form, and I would prefer it if they didn't exist at all, but if we are going to discuss MTXs I would prefer it if we didn't find a need to resort to hyperbole. I see the really problematic MTXs as the one's that are basically gambling, or the one's that save the player hours of their time for a seemingly 'reasonable' amount of money, say $1 per hour for example. I genuinely think that the MTXs are such bad value in GT7, even for people who regularly spend money on other games' MTXs, that it is basically impossible to convince me that any of the mechanics in this game are there to drive people to purchase MTXs. Instead of my example above of $1 per hour, we are basically looking at $1 per minute here in GT7.

Sure, some people have issues but to put PD (and any other company) to blame because some can’t hold on to their money is a bit ridiculous to be honest. No self control? No responsibility? Perhaps they should look into getting some kind of supervisor or trustee if they can’t handle money.

Sure, some people have issues but to put PD (and any other company) to blame because some can’t hold on to their money is a bit ridiculous to be honest. No self control? No responsibility? Perhaps they should look into getting some kind of supervisor or trustee if they can’t handle money.
So, pushing this to the extreme for a second, someone addicted to taking hard core drugs - it's all their fault?

I think it's perfectly fair to blame the company which is asking people to let go of significant amounts of their money for a simple number change in a video game. The company is trying to make that happen. It isn't okay just because only the most vulnerable people are hurt by it.

I seen a clean and low milage S2000 selling for 100k at a dealership in Hamilton, Ontario on autotrader. Some of those go for a lot of money too.
Thats ridiculous..

Most expensive S2000 on eBay here is £28,000 with 7,000 miles on it!

Back