I regret buying this game...

• Thread starter nummer0
  • 128 comments
took me 5 days to finish cafe, licenses and missions and i played it like 4-5 hours a day, i took 2 weeks leave just for this lol
yeah 70$ for a single player this short is pretty sad, considering hype, development time
i can imagine people who finished all missions in witcher 3 in 20 hours while taking their time would be pretty mad, even horizon forbidden west took me like 70+ hours to do it all

Marriage can be a regret. The things you say to a loved one when you are drunk can be a regret.

Blowing the equivalent of a Saturday evening out on a video game is far from regrettable. ;)

Last edited:
we actually did know before launch what kind of MTX system PD was implementing.
Only by sort of accident, as a PSN account in either Australia or NZ - I can't recall which, posted about them at the point of their release hour, which is nearly a full day ahead of a lot of other markets.

We knew we would be getting MXT's, but the exact nature, and just how much more expensive they had become wasn't revealed until effectively GT7 released publicly, even reviewers who had advance access didn't know this, which is why IGN updated the original review MTX piece after the launch day.

As such Sony/PD deliberately withheld the true nature of them not just from the buying public, but from reviewers as well.

A Celica GT Four and Honda S2000 are 100,000. Way away from current pricing.
I seen a clean and low milage S2000 selling for 100k at a dealership in Hamilton, Ontario on autotrader. Some of those go for a lot of money too.
True, but if PD is trying to reflect the reality of car buying I should be able to sell/Part-Exchange one of the cars I currently own, and I sure as hell would never buy a car I hadn't had a chance to test drive!

In not being able to do so it seems to indicate a cynical move to an unbalanced in-game economy, with MTXs as the 'short-cut', and not a cheap one either.

Last edited:
I seen a clean and low milage S2000 selling for 100k at a dealership in Hamilton, Ontario on autotrader. Some of those go for a lot of money too.
There's a few stock S2000s with low kilometers for around 40.000€, that price is insane.

Like I said, it depends on the implementation to some extent. Visual only MTXs that don't have a real effect on gameplay? I can ignore those if the game itself is good. But when the game itself is built around getting people to buy additional microtransactions after already spending $60+ for the game itself, it's there where issues start to come up, and where people rightfully should voice their displeasure. For me, I won't be buying GT7 (and probably a PS5) until this issue is addressed (either that, or if I can pick up a used physical copy on the cheap, so at least then I'm not directly giving Sony and PD my money).

....but again, MTXs are an option. I also don't have a problem with people voicing their criticism for the path PD took in GT7. ....that as never my point and in fact I do agree that there is an unfair imbalance to it.

As for MTXs in general, I simply don't have a problem with them like some do. .....at least not to the point that I would have skipped on the purchase of a game like GT7 for how they implemented it but that is a decision folks need to make on their own.

On the rest, I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree on many points and that's fine.
Which is why I said that voting with one's wallet doesn't always work by itself. And with Gran Turismo being a first-party Sony title, that practice has a lesser effect. As @Silver Arrows has mentioned, GT7 could sell 10 copies or 10 million copies, and it wouldn't matter too much because PD will be bankrolled by Sony for the next project no matter what, because it'd be silly for Sony not to.
It's why it's important to not just vote with one's wallet, but to actually hold PD and Sony accountable for their decisions by voicing displeasure at their practices. CoD is a shining example of this method getting results, despite the game maintaining consistently high sales numbers each entry.
Well of course they would need to know why people didn't buy their game and that's where the feedback helps. ....as we all know, there is never any lack of it especially when a game fails. ....but nothing grabs the attention of a game company more than the poor performance of a product through sales and / or player engagement.

I'd be inclined to agree if this wasn't PD, a first-party Sony company, we were talking about. They don't really need additional funding through MTXs to fund future projects, given their resources, connections in both the gaming and automotive industry, and their connection with Sony themselves. Obviously their funds aren't limitless, but I highly doubt that they would have a hard time realistically funding anything if it involves Gran Turismo.
Sony / PD is in the business to make money. We simply have a difference of opinion on this point. Personally, I don't have a problem with that or them finding new ways of additional revenue like MTXs. IN fact, I see benefits to all in this repsect althugh i know you don't which is fine.

The bottom line is that we as consumers have the right to support certain businesses / practices in cases like these (or not) by choosing whether we buy their products.

It's passé for a full-priced product, and has been for quite some time. Hell, the last time Forza had this system (in the form of tokens) was in Forza Horizon 3, which was released in 2016. Why are PD using a system that pretty much no other noteworthy racer is currently using, or has used for a while?
I wouldn't exactly call GTA Online a great example of, well, anything, especially since it's also a full-priced game with an economy that is significantly more aggressively geared towards promoting MTX sales that GT7s currently.
It's an example I used to show that the model isn't passé but actually utilized in what is one of the most successful examples of an MTX model there is. Just because some don't like it makes it any less so. R* continued to break records with this game as they still sell copies and make tons of money from MTXs. Of course it's relevant.

You may not agree with their business model but it works. ....and many folks continue to play their games even with them.

Which is totally fine. As I and many others have mentioned, it's not a problem if people are enjoying GT7, because the game absolutely has a lot of good things going for it. What is a problem, though, is that this system exists in a full-priced product, and that there are individuals that try to discredit these valid and consistent criticisms because they honestly can't handle Gran Turismo, PD or Kaz having criticism levied at them. It's a bit cult-y at times, honestly.
That's not the case with me.
And the reason why people are calling this setup scummy is because this is the kind of setup that one would expect from a free-to-play mobile or PC game, where such a system is likely the developer/publishers main source of revenue, not from a first-party AAA title that people have spent up to $100 on just to play (more if you bought a console specifically to play GT7). It's scummy because it's a system based on greed, and shows a total lack of respect from Sony and PD to their customers.

I mean, it kinda is. The dangers of MTX addiction are very well documented, and have been for a number of years. I remember @Scaff using an example a few days ago of someone being a recovering alcoholic, going to a restaurant, and the workers were constantly trying to encourage the patron to buy booze at every opportunity even though they didn't want any, and were trying to actively avoid it. It's a similar setup to how GT7 seems to have constant reminders that you can buy in-game credits with real money any time you buy something. For you and me, we can ignore it because we know better, but there are a lot of people who genuinely struggle with this, and Sony and PD are, to some degree, banking on people like this to buy their microtransactions.

I'm not holding my breath, but it'd be nice if PD could at least acknowledge peoples concerns with the economy and MTX systems, and say something on it. That would at least show that they're aware of the current issues. However, they'll probably sit back in silence and just continue to do things their way, even though that is no longer and never has been an effective form of community interaction.
In all honesty, I think we've gone as far as we can with this dialogue as its clear we simply don't see eye to eye on a lot of these points regarding business, personal responsibility, etc. ...but the there are a couple other issues we do.

Anyhow, I think this is where I will leave it for now. Thanks.

Last edited:
Kudos to the people voicing their opinions on both sides of this topic. People from PD most likely read this stuff and hopefully it will lead to a better in game economy, both in the form of credits awarded and credits purchased.

Having said that…

…. I for one can’t wait for November 25th this year, and the ensuing “Black Friday” deals PD will give us on MTX’s. I already have $40 set aside 😂

Last edited:
I look at Gran Turismo 4, and 5 menus aesthetics, and music. Things just feel off. Like GT7 was an attempt by a robot to make a GT game. It's impersonable and designed in a way solely built to make money off me while trying to convince me I'm having a good time. While I can understand the limitations and how expensive it's gotten to make Triple A games now. The upbeat nature of GT4 or the classy nature of GT5 is gone in place for some kind of styrofoam cup of a world.

It's easy to dig into the unfinished physics, the atrocious roulette wheel implementation, used car dealership only swapping 1-2 cars at a time, or the countless bugs. If I had to say it.
It feels as if there's no soul.

took me 5 days to finish cafe, licenses and missions and i played it like 4-5 hours a day, i took 2 weeks leave just for this lol
yeah 70$ for a single player this short is pretty sad, considering hype, development time
i can imagine people who finished all missions in witcher 3 in 20 hours while taking their time would be pretty mad, even horizon forbidden west took me like 70+ hours to do it all

Polyphony can make great games with the most shocking oversights. In fact they have never managed to do otherwise and never will, IMO. The result is always flawed in the same kind of ways - an evolution or variant of previous flaws from previous titles.

In this case, walking away from a completed single-player mode with the tiniest fraction of content available in the game is an absolute Gran Truismo tradition.

How they cannot anticipate this is beyond me. Cynically some might say they may be encouraging us to just reach for our pockets and pay real money for that content?

Calling this game "garbage" is an insult to actual garbage. Putting the game back on the shelf til May and will see what has changed. Back to GTS I go.

********, why defending R34 price with the excuse of inflation? Why they should be emulated in the game?

Used Cars are never a good thing in GT, it just unnecessary locks players from cars in the game. Now I don't know why that feature is so sought up after when the reality is seen now how infuriating it is and how out of touch PD is with gaming design to have feature that only making it more difficult for player. Those existed in GT1 to GT4, PD doesn't deserve as much props even back then. This only gets even worse with invitations and MTX ****.

Even without Used Cars GT would still lock players from cars like GT3 with not all cars appearing in dealerships.

…. I for one can’t wait for November 25th this year, and the ensuing “Black Friday” deals PD will give us on MTX’s. I already have $40 set aside 😂
Hope they don't discount them too much and make a loss...

...on the credits it costs them nothing to produce!

Keep this in mind folks, the reason why the Cr.2 million MTX pack is cheaper is not because they want to offer you a discount, these cost zero to produce, it's to actively encourage you to spend more. This is not you benefiting from an economy of scale, it doesn't exist in this game, this is psychology to get you to spend more.

Imagine buying FIFA 23, getting a few friends around with a crate of beer...

And the only teams you could select were Rochdale and Swindon. Bayern Munich, Real Madrid, Manchester City etc were all locked behind 1,000,000 credits each, and you can earn that by beating the CPU on Legendary difficulty 15 times at Selhurst Park. That would be insane wouldn't it?

That is basically the current implamentation of GT7 and it is absolutely baffling. It's not just a greedy use of microtransactions, it's the decision to lock ALL of the games' content behind it. There's very little the player can do without grinding or paying real money. If you want to play the game you need credits, and to get credits you need to grind Fisherman's Ranch or get your wallet out. **** that.

Now back to FIFA, Ultimate Team's microtransactions are horrendous, they are a really bad deal and an example of the (imo criminal) gambling game publishers are pushing onto children, however it is entirely optional. You can still fully play the full FIFA game. Career Mode, Kick Off, Online Seasons... It's all still there... Ultimate Team itself also has daily content added as well as multiple ways in which players wanting to grind can earn credit - including just playing the game...

See, EA are a horrible company, but they have atleast realised (with FIFA anyway) that in order to push microtransactions into a game you need to maintain an active playerbase that you can eventually encourage to spend, and to do this you have to actually give them a fully fleged product they want to spend their spare time on, not a one where after a weeks playtime they have nothing to do other than things they really, really don't want to do. I really, really don't want to grind Fisherman's Ranch, so I'll be soon finished with the game unless a major update is released.

The easiest solution would be to allow all cars to be driven and tuned for casual playmodes, and to add more high payout races for unlocking cars for 'ranked' gamemodes and any other career modes which may be added.

TL;DR you cannot just shoehorn paid content into any game.

I look at Gran Turismo 4, and 5 menus aesthetics, and music. Things just feel off. Like GT7 was an attempt by a robot to make a GT game. It's impersonable and designed in a way solely built to make money off me while trying to convince me I'm having a good time. While I can understand the limitations and how expensive it's gotten to make Triple A games now. The upbeat nature of GT4 or the classy nature of GT5 is gone in place for some kind of styrofoam cup of a world.

It's easy to dig into the unfinished physics, the atrocious roulette wheel implementation, used car dealership only swapping 1-2 cars at a time, or the countless bugs. If I had to say it.
The game-menu reminds me of Seinfeldt & the soup-nazi; no smiling allowed here, no fun & minimal payouts

It's funny, some people complaining about how the game is too short etc. then often the same people complaining about the fact the game is actually too long due to having to gain more credits for the remaining cars they don't have.

Irony?

It's funny, some people complaining about how the game is too short etc. then often the same people complaining about the fact the game is actually too long due to having to gain more credits for the remaining cars they don't have.

Irony?
The game is too short as in you can complete everything other than the car collection fairly quickly. The car collection is so slow and there isn't enough to do to keep it interesting for the ~500 hours it demands, so nobody is considering it when they say the game is "too short". Nobody wants to go through that grind.

Edit: Before you mention custom races, a reminder that they would bump that ~500 hours up to ~1,500 hours

Last edited:
Honestly I feel little sympathy for the whales of gaming, they will never go away and they are the ones who encourage developers to do this. I know a guy who has spent over 2300 cad on skins and blueprints for Warzone, a ****ing free game.

thats sickening. particularly as the skins, blueprints have pretty much no impact on how good you actually are at the game. even the blueprints with higher level attachments aren;t crucial, as you can level gun up to competative level after an hour or 2 of normal play (not feeling like grinding either). TBH it is bad how activision structure recent games though, outside of double xp events, xp dished out is poor tbh. but at least the game is still fun to play and doesn;t feel like a grind (fun being debatable of course, in terms of if you even like the game in the 1st place).

at least in fifa ultimate team (when I played it 10 years ago) you'd get 90+ rated players that could make tangible difference to your performance, but I guess thats dubious in itself, as either have to play for hours and hours each day, or pay for coins. (not that it excuses how they set up the economy).

Last edited:
The game is too short as in you can complete everything other than the car collection fairly quickly. The car collection is so slow and there isn't enough to do to keep it interesting for the ~500 hours it demands, so nobody is considering it when they say the game is "too short". Nobody wants to go through that grind.

Edit: Before you mention custom races, a reminder that they would bump that ~500 hours up to ~1,500 hours
I agree they need more creative ways to acquire in-game currency, but the car collecting is still part of the game, and for some people it is the biggest part. So in that sense, the game itself is not too short, just the career mode. While I also agree the career should be at least twice or thrice the length, the game as a whole offers a lot more than that.

If PD are reading this forum then they've sided with the more grind please apologist crowd with 1.7 update. They really should be adding more events and increasing the payouts on more interesting ones. Grinding is one thing on circuits but grinding GT's infamously poor rally section is too much.

I don't have the same kind of relationship with GT that some have.

I played the original, and GT 3, then missed a few and played GT 5 prologue and then GT Sport, now GT 7.

My point being, I don't have a clear idea of how GT was presented in previous games as regards the in game currency.
I certainly don't remember any serious issues accruing cars in GT Sport, and by the time I bailed on the game some time last year I had pretty much every good car in the game.

This experience, however, feels designed to frustrate and force players to spend money on microtransactions.
I don't think that's a revelation to anyone, we all feel it...I think.

So, the question is, what can be done?

Speed up the attainment of credits?

Provide more credits for each event?

Or, lower prices?

All three?

Last edited:
If PD are reading this forum then they've sided with the more grind please apologist crowd with 1.7 update. They really should be adding more events and increasing the payouts on more interesting ones. Grinding is one thing on circuits but grinding GT's infamously poor rally section is too much.
Real WRC courses (point-to-point) would be great, and set up like a real rally event, instead of the half-assed rally-cross style "tracks" that feel like they were made in GT6 course maker... the only plus side is the dirt physics seem to be much improved over previous titles IMO.

Last edited:
Hope they don't discount them too much and make a loss...

...on the credits it costs them nothing to produce!

Keep this in mind folks, the reason why the Cr.2 million MTX pack is cheaper is not because they want to offer you a discount, these cost zero to produce, it's to actively encourage you to spend more. This is not you benefiting from an economy of scale, it doesn't exist in this game, this is psychology to get you to spend more.

Oh come on!! You’re British! If anyone’s supposed to get dry humor, it’s you! :lol:

Last edited:
we are basically looking at $1 per minute here in GT7.
1$/minute suggests 20' of gameplay for 2 million credits while in fact you'd have to play 200+minutes for that amount. They expect us to grind for little credits that have little in-game-value.
Also the level you have predicts the level of the roulette ticket and you get 1 point for every 1000 credits you spend or an equivalent value of the cars gathered true winning or completing missions/licenses.
Yesterday I grinded the same two races 40x in order to buy that GT1, I spent hours driving against stupid AI that suck even more than in GTS. Glad I did, 'cause today they nerfed one of races. Making it even harder to earn credits trough skills and effort and making it look more worth it to buy credits.

I loved the game the first few days until I started to realize where it was going, I had been waiting for a damn long time, I bought a ps4 for GTS and a PS5 for 7, I think I have spent more than enough for a while, I don't like it and it feels like a cash grab.

Last edited:

I have the same feeling. I haven't played since GT5. I really enjoyed 5 despite the grinding involved with it. I was excited to get a PS5 and GT7 last week. The excitement was quickly extinguished after a week of this game.

I don't regret buying the game. When online is patched up and the official seasons start I will be very happy to participate with the much improved race car physics, dynamic weather, and time of day. GTS was the best online racing I have ever had and I hope it continues in GT7. Also happy to see photo mode, Scapes and livery editor made the transition intact.

That said, the rest of the game to me is not much more than hot garbage:

• In-game economy, can't sell cars, massive grinding
  • Content locked until finishing Menu 39
  • GT Café was cool, but I finished it in ten hours. Should be much longer. And should not be the main "career mode".
  • Very low number of events
  • No sense of progression
  • Bugs galore
  • The AI races are nothing more than a chore. Not fun, not racing.
  • MTX prices out of this world
  • Time sensitive access to certain cars is ridiculous through invitations and Legendary dealer rotation
  • Daily workout rewards are pathetic
  • Some RWD road cars behave bizarrely
  • Music Rally
This game is clearly unfinished and probably needed another 6-12 months in the oven. Basically they improved the physics over GTS but managed to ruin everything else. A huge disappointment overall, but if they fix Sport Mode I will be happy. I don't care for single player stuff in racing games anyway, but I do feel for those who were expecting a long single player campaign.
OK, I take this back now. I do regret buying the game.

Back