I SUCK at ACC

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Ok so I only started playing it last night, as I finally got a wheel. And I don’t have a rack yet, so it’s wobbling around on an ironing board until one arrives (genuinely). Even still…I’m a disaster. I’ve played GT Sport and passable in online races. I can barely cope with the early career stuff in ACC. One thing - my wheel feels off. I’m using a G29 but it never seems to hold a straight line. It’s like the tracking is off or something. Is there a calibration or anything I can do? Or is it maybe just the deadzone?

Anyway, any and all tips to get me to a level of basic competence would be very gratefully received! I appreciate the realism in this game, and I expect it reflects (to some extent) the reality of what putting me in a GT3 car would actually be like, but there must be a way to gradually progress to a level of ability that I can at least compete with the AI.

Ok so I only started playing it last night, as I finally got a wheel. And I don’t have a rack yet, so it’s wobbling around on an ironing board until one arrives (genuinely). Even still…I’m a disaster. I’ve played GT Sport and passable in online races. I can barely cope with the early career stuff in ACC. One thing - my wheel feels off. I’m using a G29 but it never seems to hold a straight line. It’s like the tracking is off or something. Is there a calibration or anything I can do? Or is it maybe just the deadzone?

Anyway, any and all tips to get me to a level of basic competence would be very gratefully received! I appreciate the realism in this game, and I expect it reflects (to some extent) the reality of what putting me in a GT3 car would actually be like, but there must be a way to gradually progress to a level of ability that I can at least compete with the AI.
I am glad you have seen the light swapped over from that arcade game ;-) Since you play GT Sport I assume that you are on PS4/5 for ACC.

To qualify my statements here, I have the Platinum trophy for the game and am currently at Platinum for the licence. So I do feel I know my way around the this game a bit ;-)

My comments will be confined to my set up and my Thrustmaster T300 as I do not have any experience with a G29.

Firstly you must download the latest drivers for you wheel, even if it was brand new yesterday. Believe me, this can make a huge amount of difference.

Yes, the wheel is quite configurable in set up and changing dead zone may help but I would wait until it is properly secured and you have a comfortable and reliable driver position. I mean, really, you wouldn't drive your car around the block while sitting on a milk crate? Actually come to think of it I have... not nice.

Finally, come on, you've given it one night? You cannot jump straight from GTS into ACC and expect to be at a completive level. Just like now I can't jump back into GTS and do the same lap times I was doing before. Actually I am about 0.5 - 0.75secs slower because I can not get used to the massive amount of unreal grip the cars have. Go back to GTS and drive GT3 cars on sports hards and you will be closer to what (real) ACC slicks are. BTW on this point and I am being very serious now, IF you are a person that wants to run around in a Nissan GTR or Honda Civic with Soft Slicks on this is NOT the game for you. Save your self the heartache and just delete the Game.

So sort your seat out, practice lots and you will slowly get into it. It is not an easy game, it is supposed to be a sim.

Suggestions: The GT3 Bentley is a nice easy car to get used to the game in. It also doesn't hurt that it sounds awesome, also something lacking in GTS. Turn the AI difficulty and aggression down as low as it will go will also help. Race on tracks that you know. Do sprint races and save on learning about pitstops for the time being. Practice some more ;-) Try some of the challenge events to see where you sit with the community. Don't worry about tuning (for the moment) just run the standard Safe Set Ups.

See how you go and then read a lot of the posts here. We have all have various issues with this game and worked our way through it.

All the best.

Suggestions: The GT3 Bentley is a nice easy car to get used to the game in. It also doesn't hurt that it sounds awesome, also something lacking in GTS. Turn the AI difficulty and aggression down as low as it will go will also help. Race on tracks that you know. Do sprint races and save on learning about pitstops for the time being. Practice some more ;-) Try some of the challenge events to see where you sit with the community. Don't worry about tuning (for the moment) just run the standard Safe Set Ups.
I recently moved from GTS to ACC and personally love it. Everyone I have talked to stated everything @TT92 mentioned above. AI's lowest level is 80 which right now is about where I am sitting so competition is good but unlike GTS just running the tracks is not enough - consistently running the tracks is what your scores are based on. Practice that and things will fall into place.

For me getting a valid pitstop is quite a challenge. Setting one up correctly is a lot different than what we experienced in GTS. I DQ'd my first race because of this, and lost many spots in a few others because I had to pit again to get a valid pitstop. This is something new to learn and practice.

I have also been entering the challenges to see my improvements among fellow racers.

@Tidgney has a video on YT than will walk you through some basic setups. Others have some as well.

Enjoy your racing!

I recently moved from GTS to ACC and personally love it. Everyone I have talked to stated everything @TT92 mentioned above. AI's lowest level is 80 which right now is about where I am sitting so competition is good but unlike GTS just running the tracks is not enough - consistently running the tracks is what your scores are based on. Practice that and things will fall into place.

For me getting a valid pitstop is quite a challenge. Setting one up correctly is a lot different than what we experienced in GTS. I DQ'd my first race because of this, and lost many spots in a few others because I had to pit again to get a valid pitstop. This is something new to learn and practice.

I have also been entering the challenges to see my improvements among fellow racers.

@Tidgney has a video on YT than will walk you through some basic setups. Others have some as well.

Enjoy your racing!
The pit stop thing confuses me a little. I’ve been practicing just trying to get a feel for the car so I’m not always on the verge of spinning out. I managed a good 10 minutes last night staying within track limits, but so inconsistent. At one stage I was catching the top 5 pack, the. A few duff corners and I was defending p6. It does feel like a great racing game, once I get the hang of it. I just need to work on the race consistency.

One thing actually - is there a way in-game to get track advice prior to starting practice? I’m sure no GT3 driver would just head out without being briefed on braking points and best gears for the corner. It’s fine once you’ve had a while to get comfortable with a track, but you only get a 10 min practice in career mode, and that’s not enough for me (personally) to get anywhere near a decent quali time on a track I’ve never driven before.

If this is console, part of your issue might be the steering locks which are different for every car.

Also regarding the track: I believe there's an ideal line assist that you can turn on.

Attachments

• PS_Messages_20200825_224334.png
    PS_Messages_20200825_224334.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 51
If this is console, part of your issue might be the steering locks which are different for every car.

Also regarding the track: I believe there's an ideal line assist that you can turn on.
Is this definitely still the case re steering locks? I set my G29 to 720 with the Jag but it wasn’t right. I had to set to 900. Did the devs release an update to standardise this at some point?

Nope, you've still gotta do it manually. Just save them all and load up the correct one when you switch cars.
I’ll check it again. But when I set to 720 it was genuinely off. Only when I set to 900 did it follow the turning circle of my wheel.

I’ll check it again. But when I set to 720 it was genuinely off. Only when I set to 900 did it follow the turning circle of my wheel.
That's typically how it works on PC, but if that feels better for you I say go for it. It might be worth tinkering with the steering ratio to see if that helps as well

One thing actually - is there a way in-game to get track advice prior to starting practice? I’m sure no GT3 driver would just head out without being briefed on braking points and best gears for the corner. It’s fine once you’ve had a while to get comfortable with a track, but you only get a 10 min practice in career mode, and that’s not enough for me (personally) to get anywhere near a decent quali time on a track I’ve never driven before.
I see you that you chose to ignore my good advice about only racing tracks that you know and do a lot of practice.

And yes, you are dead right, no GT3 driver attempts a race or do qualifying with only 10 minutes in a car but somehow you think you can.

You have a wobbly wheel, driving a proper sim on tracks you don't know and you are wondering why you are struggling after been given advice on how to avoid that.

My advice now is to stop bleating and put the hard work in or just go back to GTS because there are no magic pills to get you better than what you are.

I see you that you chose to ignore my good advice about only racing tracks that you know and do a lot of practice.

And yes, you are dead right, no GT3 driver attempts a race or do qualifying with only 10 minutes in a car but somehow you think you can.

You have a wobbly wheel, driving a proper sim on tracks you don't know and you are wondering why you are struggling after been given advice on how to avoid that.

My advice now is to stop bleating and put the hard work in or just go back to GTS because there are no magic pills to get you better than what you are.
What a rude reply. Alas, I can’t just race on tracks I know in career mode.

I imagine you don’t get too many invitations to parties.

What a rude reply. Alas, I can’t just race on tracks I know in career mode.

I imagine you don’t get too many invitations to parties.
This will be my last reply to you as you seem to be incapable accepting good, honest advice.

This will be my last reply to you as you seem to be incapable accepting good, honest
I have accepted your advice mate. I was asking if there’s a way in-game of getting pre-advice about tracks prior to setting out on a practice. I’m not really sure why you have taken offence at this, but if me asking this question has upset you then I’m sorry. I’m not here to make enemies. But similarly, I’m not going to be bullied into not asking questions aimed at improving my game experience because you, for some reason, don’t think I am allowed to.

There's no pre advice on the tracks in game, you just have to put the seat time in. Instead of doing the career mode, just try single player practice, or hotlap to get a feel for each track. It's not one where you can have steering help or braking help like in some other games. This is a Sim, same as AC or PCars2 it takes time to get used to however much you 'know' the same track from GTS, you really need to spend time with it

Also the Lambo in career can be a bit of a handful. I second that you avoid career for now and just go through the cars until you find one that gives you a good feeling. I started off with the Lexus myself.

On a side note, my friend, who enjoys racing games, came round recently to play ACC for the first time and drove like an absolute menace. Complete nightmare. He thought you could just brake late, brake heavy and throw the car into a corner and it would just stick. He was very much mistaken. He crashed more in a few hours than I've done I've over a year! He seemed to think he was in an F1 car doing qualy laps...

So basically just take it easy, learn the tracks, find a good car, and it'll get easier.

Also the Lambo in career can be a bit of a handful. I second that you avoid career for now and just go through the cars until you find one that gives you a good feeling. I started off with the Lexus myself.

On a side note, my friend, who enjoys racing games, came round recently to play ACC for the first time and drove like an absolute menace. Complete nightmare. He thought you could just brake late, brake heavy and throw the car into a corner and it would just stick. He was very much mistaken. He crashed more in a few hours than I've done I've over a year! He seemed to think he was in an F1 car doing qualy laps...

So basically just take it easy, learn the tracks, find a good car, and it'll get easier.
There's no pre advice on the tracks in game, you just have to put the seat time in. Instead of doing the career mode, just try single player practice, or hotlap to get a feel for each track. It's not one where you can have steering help or braking help like in some other games. This is a Sim, same as AC or PCars2 it takes time to get used to however much you 'know' the same track from GTS, you really need to spend time with it
Cheers guys. Maybe avoiding career and getting familiar with the cars/tracks is a good starting point.

I will get ok. What I lack in talent I almost make up for in tenacity.

thanks again for the advice.

Cheers guys. Maybe avoiding career and getting familiar with the cars/tracks is a good starting point.

I will get ok. What I lack in talent I almost make up for in tenacity.

thanks again for the advice.
I recommend the Bentley - good stable long body car and easy to learn on (at least for me it was).

I recommend the Bentley - good stable long body car and easy to learn on (at least for me it was).
Cheers yeah I have switched to the Bentley. I was using the Emil Frey Jag at first, and have definitely found the Bentley an easier car to drive. It’s certainly more forgiving when you maybe don’t have the greatest throttle control, like me.

One thing - my wheel feels off. I’m using a G29 but it never seems to hold a straight line. It’s like the tracking is off or something. Is there a calibration or anything I can do? Or is it maybe just the deadzone?
Not sure if you're on PC or console but you probably need to adjust the Minimum Force FFB setting.

I have accepted your advice mate. I was asking if there’s a way in-game of getting pre-advice about tracks prior to setting out on a practice. I’m not really sure why you have taken offence at this, but if me asking this question has upset you then I’m sorry. I’m not here to make enemies. But similarly, I’m not going to be bullied into not asking questions aimed at improving my game experience because you, for some reason, don’t think I am allowed to.
Yes, your guy was a bit rude but I can understand his reaction in some way... I was amused yesterday by my son in law who was trying to follow my results on ACC. After just 2 hours of play he was shouting at the screen. Told him to calm down and asked him if he was ready to put long boring hours learning the tracks and how to be around others on tracks... Being an amateur pilot, I told him that I spent way more time on various tracks trying to learn every inches than actually racing. But, if you want to have fun racing, you have no choice than driving around, testing, crashing (unfortunately, that's how you learn not to do so...) and losing... you lose way more than you win, even if you're a top driver (or maybe Schumacher - Hamilton for the non-boomers 😁). And for your info, I learn some tracks I race in real life on ACC, some car physics also (even so I'm more a TC racer). Keep the faith, be patient, setup your steering wheel and keep on racing!

Cheers yeah I have switched to the Bentley. I was using the Emil Frey Jag at first, and have definitely found the Bentley an easier car to drive. It’s certainly more forgiving when you maybe don’t have the greatest throttle control, like me.
I started with the Lexus 2018 FYI. Good car to start.

Yes, your guy was a bit rude but I can understand his reaction in some way... I was amused yesterday by my son in law who was trying to follow my results on ACC. After just 2 hours of play he was shouting at the screen. Told him to calm down and asked him if he was ready to put long boring hours learning the tracks and how to be around others on tracks... Being an amateur pilot, I told him that I spent way more time on various tracks trying to learn every inches than actually racing. But, if you want to have fun racing, you have no choice than driving around, testing, crashing (unfortunately, that's how you learn not to do so...) and losing... you lose way more than you win, even if you're a top driver (or maybe Schumacher - Hamilton for the non-boomers 😁). And for your info, I learn some tracks I race in real life on ACC, some car physics also (even so I'm more a TC racer). Keep the faith, be patient, setup your steering wheel and keep on racing!
I have made some improvements. Again though, my original question was really asking if there's anything in game that can offer pre-advice on track breaking zones etc. I fully accept that the only route to improvement is practice, but I was asking about the existence, or otherwise, of a feature in the game. (Eg GT Sport let's you watch other fast drivers' times so you can get a feel for where to break etc before jumping on track).

I have made some improvements. Again though, my original question was really asking if there's anything in game that can offer pre-advice on track breaking zones etc. I fully accept that the only route to improvement is practice, but I was asking about the existence, or otherwise, of a feature in the game. (Eg GT Sport let's you watch other fast drivers' times so you can get a feel for where to break etc before jumping on track).
No, there is none, to answer shortly 😁. turn on the racing line...

Have you considered watching others on Twitch or YouTube? I spend many hours watching others race to see how they handle the different tracks.

I think @SMQ917 added a great point about the racing line. It can help tremendously for someone starting out.

Have you considered watching others on Twitch or YouTube? I spend many hours watching others race to see how they handle the different tracks.

I think @SMQ917 added a great point about the racing line. It can help tremendously for someone starting out.
Yep. This was kind of an old question, when I first got the game.

Back