I think I need a cockpit... (7th November 2012)

• Thread starter the_greeze
  • 347 comments
What I was aiming for here was to try and incorporate all the elements (speakers ,displays etc) together.

I don't know about those 'others' but I like it. I've upgraded the sound (had 5.1 before) as it kinda goes hand-in-hand with upgrading the displays. There is a subwoofer in the mix; it's just not part of the rig design (it sits on its own in the corner of the room).

As for Sim-Vibe, I'm not involved with the Beta (got too much else going on to worry about that too) so can't really comment about using it in the future. All I will say is that it needs to be very good indeed to compete with how my tactile is setup at the moment. Time will tell; if it's outstanding, I'll be interested, of course.

is 7.1 setup really necessary for any sim rigs and also having big speakers too.
the reason i am asking it because the entire racing cockpit area is pretty much concentrated to a small area.

Last edited:
is 7.1 setup really necessary for any sim rigs and also having big speakers too.
the reason i am asking it because the entire racing cockpit area is pretty much concentrated to a small area.

7.1 can add to the surround experience in games just like it does in movies.
The benefits of the additional rear channels, likely depends on the source/game played and what mode of surround decoding the user utilises.

I tested a similar layout last year with smallish Sony AV speakers (from an award winning model) but found that 7.1 in such a small combined space left very little distance between each set of channels. This in turn provides a reduced imagery and clarity in the transition of sounds being defined from one channel moving to the next. If anything my tests encouraged me not to implement the speakers on my actual cockpit and go with better performing hifi speakers and space them out in a traditional cinema layout with the cockpit basically replacing the typical sofa bang in the middle of them all.

Greeze seems to be doing the opposite, coming from a more spaced out speaker location while upgrading to 7.1 sound yet putting more speakers in a more confined space. Usually people going with 7.1 do so using more space rather than reducing what they used in 5.1. So I hope he finds it works out for him with whatever speakers etc he uses.

Of course personal preference has a lot to do with it too and many things I thought as ideas for my own build got scrapped/changed so testing is all part of the process.

Finally! Photos of my latest changes and updates to my rig can be found on my website and Facebook (the links are in my signature).

Pop in and have a look. Feel free to leave me comments, likes etc. :)

*Edit: bonus point if you can spot the boobies on one of the photos!

Very impressive.
I like how clean the setup looks, with the eye for detail.

Finally! Photos of my latest changes and updates to my rig can be found on my website and Facebook (the links are in my signature).

Pop in and have a look. Feel free to leave me comments, likes etc. :)

*Edit: bonus point if you can spot the boobies on one of the photos!

Captain, boobs sighted! Final picture! Do not divert gaze! :sly:

Damn this guy has some sky-high plans! Nice. You've come a long way from the plans on the first page of this thread that look like something made by M.C. Escher

...speechless, incredible attention to detail! You're in a league of your own!

The best part for me is that you made it, you didn't go out and just buy it! Hats off!!! :cheers:

HOLY CRAP! That rig is fantastic, I commend you for the amount of effort you have put in to create a masterpiece.

I know you won’t give plans for the rig but any chance of a bit of info on prices of materials for the frame and getting it powder coated? And also a rough price that the UK customs had your pants down with for import tax of the motion kit?

Many thanks.

Back