I think PD need to rethink the licensing portion of the GT games

  • Thread starter Thread starter A2K78
  • 203 comments
  • 19,465 views
Yes it does.

You determined that the people "crying about" (constructively discussing how to improve) licence tests "suck" at them. The gold licences that I have in multiple GT games on multiple versions (PAL, NTSC-J, NTSC-UC) say that I don't suck at them, yet I'm one of the people you'd determine as "crying about" licence tests. Thus your assertion is incorrect because I have very many licence golds and am a Goldjunkie.




GT4 had a halfway house in this regard. As well as the licence tests, there was an indication of real-world licence structure - you couldn't advance to Extreme events until you'd completed all Beginner and Professional events - and you couldn't do the last Professional event until you'd completed all the other Beginner and Professional events.

I'd be happier if GT5 retained this kind of structure and rebadged it as licensing, while retaining the tests themselves as additional challenges.
Most people that complain about something cant do it. I see from your posts you are the best driver of GT ever so it doesnt apply to you.
 
Most people that complain about something cant do it. I see from your posts you are the best driver of GT ever so it doesnt apply to you.

Again with the pettiness :rolleyes:

If you can't cope with adult discussion without trying to insult people, I'd suggest that this site is wholly wrong for you.

Nowhere have I said that I'm the best at anything (except Mission 23). Merely that I have all-golds across more GT games than most people own and thus cannot, despite your attempt to insult everyone who doesn't share your point of view, "suck" at licence tests.

Since your crass generalisation doesn't, now, apply to me, how can you continue to stand behind it? You've determined that the only reason you can think of for people discussing how to improve licence tests (which you refer to as "crying about" them) in GT is because they can't do them. I prove you wrong. How many others about whom you know nothing also prove you wrong?

Give it up. Think of another reason why people are discussing how to improve licence tests.
 
Cant we just be done with it already? Its to the point of going off-topic and something like this is a waste of time. I posted my reasons and if you cant agree than agree to disagree.
 
Cant we just be done with it already? Its to the point of going off-topic and something like this is a waste of time. I posted my reasons and if you cant agree than agree to disagree.

You didn't post any reasons. You just decided that everyone discussing how to improve licence tests in GT was "crying about" them and "suck" at them. That's insulting everyone in this thread - at least those who are prepared to think about how to improve them - and I'm not in a hurry to let that go.
 
Can you just PM about it then, since basically we are taking this topic to a debate of how I insulted everyone.
 
Insult me, get a PM about it (usually titled "You have received an Infraction"). Insult everyone and it stays public domain.

After all, I'm sure there's more than one person in this thread who'd appreciate an apology for being told their constructive discussion is "crying" because they "suck".

Don't concern yourself about on-topic/off-topic. That's my job. Literally.
 
I see, so this thread is still on topic. Well to have this end so this thread can stay on topic I am sorry to the people that are offended. Now can it be done already?
 
Yes 👍
 
soo.. all of the game open to anyone that can afford a suitable car and the entry fee, but game completion percentage cannot be increased until the license for the particular race is gained?
 
Now that that's done XD I think they should add some defensive driving training in there, like saving yourself from oversteer, etc. I found the licenses quite boring, but loved the coffee breaks, and I think more variety would make some people like doing licenses more (I'm still a high achiever, and feel the need to get gold in everything).
 
From what i've seen so far i think license tests will be revamped for GT5 and be made more exciting, with commentary from Jay Leno, Clarkson etc - It could be a better experience than GT4 - Personally i like the idea of license tests - if i had to nitpick i'd say remove the very simple tests like braking in a straight line. Another small irritation for me is getting to drive the more expensive sports cars before i want to - i prefer starting the game with the more 'reasonably priced cars' and earning credits to buy and experience the supercars etc.
 
Last edited:
If someone is unable to bronze the licenses for any given section, they are likely to fail miserably at the races for that level. This person is not going to blame himself for being an incompetent driver, instead they are going to blame to PD for such a (choose your epithet) terri-bad game.

This leads to bad PR, bad word-of-mouth, etc.

If the entire game is unlocked from the beginning for all players, then far too many people will struggle with far too many events, and that is just plain bad marketing. On the other hand, if the group of incompetent drivers cannot even unlock the races, it is unlikely they will complain publicly about GT, because then the gamer is only embarrassing himself, revealing that he cannot even pass the license exam.
I don't particularly care for the feelings of the ignorant lowest common denominator, nor do I think whining done by stupid people would do particularly much for a game that will probably sell a couple million units before the 2nd week it is on sale.
And besides, structuring things the way Famine mentioned (which GT4 partially did anyways, also as Famine mentioned) would mostly assuage those problems regardless.
 
If someone is unable to bronze the licenses for any given section, they are likely to fail miserably at the races for that level.

...

If the entire game is unlocked from the beginning for all players, then far too many people will struggle with far too many events, and that is just plain bad marketing. On the other hand, if the group of incompetent drivers cannot even unlock the races, it is unlikely they will complain publicly about GT, because then the gamer is only embarrassing himself, revealing that he cannot even pass the license exam.
Embarrassed, why? I will freely admit that I am unable to get more than bronze on the majority of license tests, and even then I often struggle to even achieve that! However, that's all I need to get, all I'm bothered about getting, and when it comes to the races I do much better because the pressures and situations are different - mistakes are diluted over the course of any given race for example. So, your logic is flawed in that regard.

I can't read music at all and know nothing about musical theory, so does that mean I am unable to listen to music and work out how to play it on our piano? No, of course not, I can actually play quite well, but I sure as hell would fail a music exam.
 
To be honest I don't think there's much to learn in licence tests. I've done them four times already in previous GT games and I'm sure that when I get GT5 the licences will work out for me the same as they have in each previous game. That's to say that once the options menu is sorted out I'll go straight to the licence tests and get them all passed so I can maximize the number of GT-mode races I can take part in. I'll pass them with mostly Bronzes, some Silvers and a couple of Golds. I don't go for all Golds at this point because I don't need them. I just want the licences. Then I'll go race. As I put down the miles on track, I'll come to terms with the physics model. Once I've done that I can go back to the licence tests and start Golding them without much trouble.
 
I'll go through the thread in a few, but I'd really like the entire test to take place all at once. Ex: For your C licence, you get one car that takes you around a test track/parking lot and without having to go through 50 menus to get to the next ten second test, you just keep going from objective to objective.

Even better, you use your starting car for the entire test instead of hopping into 15 different cars for different corners, etc. For your B/A/IA/Etc. Tests, you get to choose a STOCK car from that class of your liking, but you have to buy it.

This should prevent people from ripping through the tests right at the beginning, and also provide more of a learning experience since you're using your own car.
 
From what i've seen so far i think license tests will be revamped for GT5 and be made more exciting, with commentary from Jay Leno, Clarkson etc - It could be a better experience than GT4 - Personally i like the idea of license tests - if i had to nitpick i'd say remove the very simple tests like braking in a straight line. Another small irritation for me is getting to drive the more expensive sports cars before i want to - i prefer starting the game with the more 'reasonably priced cars' and earning credits to buy and experience the supercars etc.

I'd like to know what you're seen to make you think those things will happen.
 
i'd like to know what you're seen to make you think those things will happen.

GT PSP did the licences in a similar way to his post.
 
Is it me? Or maybe PD should focus more on the actual driving. Don't get me wrong their license tests are good. But when I say the driving I mean, Correcting yourself from a spin, how to keep the back end from swinging around, how to manage understeer, how to balance the throttle on an open diff as to keep the inside wheel from spooling abnormally high. the little things. Things that while most of us already know, might help newer people and might even make other license tests considerably easier once you get the hang of it. Simple things. Slipstreaming.
 
gt5-2010-09-16-2-600.jpg


In the chat box someone is asking if someone else can do the three remaining licenses for him....
 
He doesn't say what licence he's trying, just that he's trying to get all gold.

I wonder, they said that Rally Mode has a co-driver, and that it can be played both on and offline...think that Rally Licence Tests will need a co-driver as well, one from online?
 
He doesn't say what licence he's trying, just that he's trying to get all gold.

I wonder, they said that Rally Mode has a co-driver, and that it can be played both on and offline...think that Rally Licence Tests will need a co-driver as well, one from online?

Impossible. How would people without broadband do that?
 
Impossible. How would people without broadband do that?

Maybe if you're doing it offline, it throws a computer co-driver in, but you can opt to sub him out online?

I don't know! They just said you can do rally both on and offline, which could just mean the randomly generated tracks, or it could mean the whole deal!
 
I think it means the rallies themselves.

I'd say the Sebastien Loeb Rally Challenge will be the licence.
 
@Predwolf, I've been hoping they allow you to use personal machines for a test, as long as they meet STRICT regulations. So yea, basically, all stock. Unless they need some outrageous amount of power for some kind of control the beast type test.
 
Back