I think PD need to rethink the licensing portion of the GT games

  • Thread starter Thread starter A2K78
  • 203 comments
  • 19,489 views
License tests force you to suceed by driving properly.. ultimately making you a better driver, and improving you long term enjoyment of the game.

And lets be honest, all you need to do is get bronze across the board to get the license.. and if that takes more than a 1 or 2 goes, then maybe you should go back to Mario Kart!
 
And lets be honest, all you need to do is get bronze across the board to get the license.. and if that takes more than a 1 or 2 goes, then maybe you should go back to Mario Kart!

I agree completely, as the only time I would have really had to really try to even finish was the Nurbugring test in the S license of GT4. I would have gone off a hell of a lot of times just from pushing it too hard. Very happy that when I finished it the first time I finished it in Gold.
 
Yeah! Go back to Mario Kart you losers!

In fact they should measure your epeen at the checkout when you purchase the game. Anyone under 8 inches should be denied.
 
I like the license tests, they gave me an introduction into GT physics. Slalom tests were a great help for when you have to do successive cornering, and chicanes. Braking tests purposely made you start looking for landmarks in which to judge where to start braking at speed. Driving the circle helped with throttling and steering input. License tests helped out more than it hindered. This game is going to cater to more casuals, so I expect some sort of dumbing down of the Bronze medals. My gripe is that many people who haven't earned their way to the level will not only not have the skill to compete online, but will be the one's causing a good bit of the problems. I sure hope they tie licenses in with online skill level. At least you can tell who is a pretty good driver and who is just now learning.

Hope they include more license tests, the AI should also adjust how well they drive, attack and back-off depending on your license as well. I don't like be advanced and still having to drive against 5 grade drivers.
 
I agree that 80 licenses is a bit much, and that GT3 seemed to have it about right at 50.

I do not agree that they are too hard. Did -anyone- here actually struggle for bronze on any test? Anyone?

So I don't see any problem with requiring licenses for events, because bronze is really really easy. There were very few I did not bronze on my first attempt. A few tests I got silver on my first attempt. At least one of them I golded on my 3rd.

Unless you are going for all gold. In that case, the bar might be a tad high on a few tests. What I think PD needs to think about is not how subjectively easy or difficult a test is, nor should they use whatever formula based on in-house testing they used on GT4.

I think it should be based on what percentage of GT drivers will be able to achieve it. I would bet that the percentage of GT Planet drivers with 100% is less than 2%, and it should be (imo) at least 5%, and maybe even 10%. I don't know how many GT4 gamers are on GTPlanet, but I do know there are <200 in the 80 gold club.

That is too low. I am guessing there are many thousands here. If there are 4,000 members and only 200 have 80 golds then the percentage is .5% I will go farther and suggest that GTPlanet members do not represent the average GT4 player, since a casual driver is probably just going to run GT4, and not spend his time surfing the web to find GTPlanet, create a membership and spend time here.
 
Why don't they do it like GT PSP? A man talks to you about the challenge, and gives you tips on how to achieve the best time. It's wayy more interesting than reading a whole paragraph on how to 'Brake in 100 metres' ,which is what GT4 did.
 
Unless you are going for all gold. In that case, the bar might be a tad high on a few tests. What I think PD needs to think about is not how subjectively easy or difficult a test is, nor should they use whatever formula based on in-house testing they used on GT4.

I think it should be based on what percentage of GT drivers will be able to achieve it. I would bet that the percentage of GT Planet drivers with 100% is less than 2%, and it should be (imo) at least 5%, and maybe even 10%. I don't know how many GT4 gamers are on GTPlanet, but I do know there are <200 in the 80 gold club.

That is too low. I am guessing there are many thousands here. If there are 4,000 members and only 200 have 80 golds then the percentage is .5% I will go farther and suggest that GTPlanet members do not represent the average GT4 player, since a casual driver is probably just going to run GT4, and not spend his time surfing the web to find GTPlanet, create a membership and spend time here.

Well going for gold could be seen as optional ( yes you get some cars you wouldn't get otherwise in GT4 but you can still complete the game with only bronze ) but is the percentage of the 80 gold licences in GT4 really that low here?
I've got them ( not registred as member though, but I think I still have the memory card somewhere to prove it if I could be bothered, in fact I did it twice after the data on my memory card was erased :grumpy:) and I certainly don't consider myself to be the best driver around.
Getting them was probably a combination of some basic skill, learning by being "forced" to do them over and over again, a bit of luck but most of all persistence and not giving up.
It's the amount of time and effort mostly I guess which should be rewarded in the form of some otherwise unobtainable cars, having talent could always be regarded as "unfair" in most circumstances.
The fact that a slow learning poorly skilled person like me can get all golds proves they didn't set the bar unreasonably high, just that it takes some dedication to get them.:)
 
I hate people who are lazy and just get some one's game save, so stupid and lazy, I hope that will be disabled somehow in GT5, I don't want to race with jerks online.

Edit:

@Dan360

Why don't they do it like GT PSP? A man talks to you about the challenge, and gives you tips on how to achieve the best time. It's wayy more interesting than reading a whole paragraph on how to 'Brake in 100 metres' ,which is what GT4 did.

👍 yep, agree, I think that man this time will or could be Sebastian Vettel? I saw him in the E3 vid, recording something, it could just be this.
 
Why don't they do it like GT PSP? A man talks to you about the challenge, and gives you tips on how to achieve the best time. It's wayy more interesting than reading a whole paragraph on how to 'Brake in 100 metres' ,which is what GT4 did.

Different strokes I guess... I would much rather read a paragraph then listen to someone talk.
 
Try unwinding the wheel a bit when turning and don't be too rough with your inputs.

With a controller, everything (for me) is WFO or full lock. The wheel takes a bit more precision. Be a bit smoother, keep at it for a day or two, and you'll get the hang of it. After a week or 2, you'll wonder why you took so long to get a wheel.

Same here. It took a bit to adjust to the wheel, but now I can't imagine going back. I did try some cheap wheel setups before the Logitech, and they were horrible. The G25 is the only way to go, imo.
 
License tests force you to suceed by driving properly.. ultimately making you a better driver, and improving you long term enjoyment of the game.

Yes and no.

Yes: makes you achieve really fast times for complex sectors and driving techniques.

Big hard NO: They force ASM AND TCS on you, making the cars themselves "easier" to drive, but its actually harder than it is with them off because the aids are pulling the car in all directions (ASM) and ghost braking all over the place(TCS).

In GT5 they better have license tests with no Aids, or at least the choice, i coulda got all golds in half the time.
 
I agree that 80 licenses is a bit much, and that GT3 seemed to have it about right at 50.

I do not agree that they are too hard. Did -anyone- here actually struggle for bronze on any test? Anyone?

So I don't see any problem with requiring licenses for events, because bronze is really really easy. There were very few I did not bronze on my first attempt. A few tests I got silver on my first attempt. At least one of them I golded on my 3rd.

Unless you are going for all gold. In that case, the bar might be a tad high on a few tests. What I think PD needs to think about is not how subjectively easy or difficult a test is, nor should they use whatever formula based on in-house testing they used on GT4.

I think it should be based on what percentage of GT drivers will be able to achieve it. I would bet that the percentage of GT Planet drivers with 100% is less than 2%, and it should be (imo) at least 5%, and maybe even 10%. I don't know how many GT4 gamers are on GTPlanet, but I do know there are <200 in the 80 gold club.

That is too low. I am guessing there are many thousands here. If there are 4,000 members and only 200 have 80 golds then the percentage is .5% I will go farther and suggest that GTPlanet members do not represent the average GT4 player, since a casual driver is probably just going to run GT4, and not spend his time surfing the web to find GTPlanet, create a membership and spend time here.

In GT3 I struggled bronzing some, but that's because I was about 9 lol. I think Bronze medals will always stay really easy because Gran Turismo is such a big branded name that people who don't even play racing games, or even games for that matte might end up buying it and trying to play. I know quite a few of my friends who never play racing games and are terrible at them, yet they still want to buy GT5 when it comes out. Licences are good for people like them because it let's them learn the basics of how to play and race properly.
 
Going back to GT3, the license tests really helped in showing where I was losing time in the corners. After a few attempts at certain tests, I eventually learned the proper technique. License tests are a good thing and should be kept in.

Now if only they introduced Tuning License Tests. That would be a huge help for me!!
 
Going back to GT3, the license tests really helped in showing where I was losing time in the corners. After a few attempts at certain tests, I eventually learned the proper technique. License tests are a good thing and should be kept in.

Now if only they introduced Tuning License Tests. That would be a huge help for me!!

I agree. In GT4, tuning can help a lot in a car. A Le mans racer can do 300mph, everyday sports cars can be a '10 second car' and so on. Tuning cars to their potential should be something that people, including casual gamers, should be aware of.
 
I hate the idea of dumbing down the game because people cant be bothered to learn to drive properly but still want to compete in the higher race leagues (that would need said licenses in real life, though they are aquired in a different way).

Nobody is saying dumb down the license test or get rid of it, but rather cut down on the amount and unnecessery stuff because in the end we're just being bombarded with too much stuff.
 
^But it not only teaches you to drive in GT, but it's good for anything real life. GT is a real life racing sim. Not some noob game. no offense, but when you have some sucky driving going on, head to the license tests, and you'll get better.
 
I disagree that the licenses need rethinking.
Personally, I wouldn't mind if they cut down on the number from GT4, but they are fine the way they are. The way I see it, even if some of the drills aren't handy in races, they help you get accustomed to the game's physics and overall feel, as well as getting you used to some of the many cars the game offers.
 
I don't see any irrelevant tests in GT, but I do think they shoulld keep road and rally tests seperate as well as drift should they have tests for that. I do think they should include abnormal situations though. So personally I think they need more license tests, in addition to adding more practical ones rather than just textbook tests.
 
every GT has had a very slight different feel to it and still does indicated by the difference between GT Prologue and TT. People need a chance to get to feel the change in characteristics of each game ,and the Licenses do that in a well structured format.
Also alot of us here are regulars to the series ,but you are missing the point that everyone has to start somewhere and as beginners (like all of us at the start of our GT adventures) have to start from scratch the licenses do what they say on the tin ,they give you that learning curve just like real licences to get upto a standard that you and everyone around you can enjoy a decent race / event .
 
I completely agree with Worthy.

I went back to GT2 & GT4 this summer with a clean memory card to play through again. The Licence Tests, which I never completed and found tricky when I was in my teens, were now fairly simple and easy to complete.

Although it is unfair to withhold parts of a game to a player if they can't complete a certain test, it's a good learning experience for amateurs and a refresher for us slightly more grizzled GT veterans.
 
imo license test is a must.. atleast it'll help the new comers how to drive normal!.. and for the younger kids out there.. they get a feeling of how to control a car.. virtually and real life.. its no different. just do those lincense tests and be thankfull that pd is putting alot of energy in this game!
 
If people wish to do the tests, then that's great for them, but it shouldn't be forced on people who don't wish to.

Choice in gaming is always better. Always.
 
I think it's an essential part of GT.

In other race games you need a specific amount of point to proceed, in GT you'll need to do the licence tests.
 
Personally I believe licence tests should be more like "tutorials" or "driving school" rather than the "random driving challenges" format they had until GT4. In this way having even more licences for different racing series or topics (for example Basic driving , Advanced driving [A], NASCAR [N], Rally [R], Drag Race [D] if it gets included, Superlicence , etc) would not be as tedious and apparently pointless as it's been so far for many people.
 
Last edited:
I personally always liked the gran turismo license test format to gain licenses and gain access to the events with the faster cars. Off course it's really hard, especially for the casual gamer to get all of them gold, but the bronze goals were always easy enough to complete every subtest without too many retries.
 
If people wish to do the tests, then that's great for them, but it shouldn't be forced on people who don't wish to.

Choice in gaming is always better. Always.


That's like saying you don't like a particular stage in a game because you can't do it and they are forcing it on you .You have the freedom of choice of what you buy .It's part of the Gran Turismo Game ,maybe you don't like the way they force you to compete with basic cars without upgrades when you start.


Looking at your Tag it does seem you you have an open mind on GT related topics
 
I have got an open mind. I'm almost certainly going to end up buying it, but the enforced rigidity of the game is something of a chore, especially as it's a format that hasn't changed in 5 games.
 
I have got an open mind. I'm almost certainly going to end up buying it, but the enforced rigidity of the game is something of a chore, especially as it's a format that hasn't changed in 5 games.

there must be a reason why KY has kept it then, maybe he thinks it's part of the overall experience . This is only a personal feeling ,but If they decide to take it out there would be something missing from GT for sure
 
I lot of games have been built around throwing cash & cars at you, requiring the gamer to put out little effort, thus the game gets shelved after a little while of play. I think games that last like GT requires the gamer to apply some effort, such as obtaining licenses to compete in higher levels of races, much as would be required in the real world. The effort behind achieving licenses or winning certain races where the prize car can only be obtained gives the gamer appreciation of accomplishment. My own experience, the more difficult the challenges, the more I keep coming back for more punishment, I will keep playing that game for years. :)
 
Being offered lots of cars and cash isn't a problem when you have other things to do. Many still play FM3, despite being gifted cars from Level 1-50 quite easily, because they can customise them.

And I'm not saying take the license tests out. What part of user choice didn't you understand? People play games to be entertained. They're also made to make money. I bet a lot more people would enjoy GT if they could be allowed to play the game with as few barriers to entry as possible.

It wouldn't be so bad if the tests allowed you to do laps of your own and marked your lap based on how you did, but I just played GT2 again and did the B license. Stopping a car three times, taking s-bends over and over. Wow, what did I learn? Not a great deal I don't know already.
 
Back