I think PD need to rethink the licensing portion of the GT games

  • Thread starter Thread starter A2K78
  • 203 comments
  • 19,489 views
Maybe a prerequisite a few less events, But it should still be in there for some races. This is part of the "sim" environment. 👍

Definitely should be a requirement for some online races.
 
I think anyone could load the arcade portion of a game and win pretty soon in equal cars to the opposition and the best way to learn is to do something. To expect everyone to complete license tests when they could easily win races without them is not fair on the non-elitist, non-anally retentive player who just wants to play the dang game.

Sure, if you want to have the license tests more power to you, but it shouldn't be a requisite. A game should at no point become a chore.

I might be an anal-retentive but surely no elitist ( as in highly skilled ) and it always has been an important element of any GT-game which shouldn't be dumbed down in my opinion for the ever more expanding "casual gamer"
demands and they should simply stick to their story in this regard.
To be frank, getting a Bronze medal at least ( which is all that's required to unlock the events ) is a perfectly achievable goal for the vast majority of gamers playing GT in the past and if you can't obtain that GT might simply be not the game for you ( I'm speaking in general here ).
It only gets tricky when trying to obtain Silver ( to an extend ) and Gold ( which admittingly can be a chore, but highly satisfactory when finally getting it ) and there should be a reward ( cars otherwise unobtainable ) for those who are willing to invest time and effort into the game.
To be sure, I'm one of those people who always aimed for all Golds ( and succeeded until now ) but only in GT and TT games ( most other games are indeed purely "lazy" entertainment and where I don't expect to unlock each item ).
 
But if it's something that stands in the way of the gamer enjoying it, why have it mandatory? If you enjoy completing them, that's fine, but not everyone wants to do that, especially as a structure it's stayed the same for five whole games.

If someone wants to skip them to access races, how would that affect people who did want to? It wouldn't.
 
But if it's something that stands in the way of the gamer enjoying it, why have it mandatory? If you enjoy completing them, that's fine, but not everyone wants to do that, especially as a structure it's stayed the same for five whole games.

If someone wants to skip them to access races, how would that affect people who did want to? It wouldn't.

I'm a bit divided myself about the mandatory element of it to be honest, I'm perfectly fine with it as it is regarding myself as I've come to expect and love ( despite it being extremely frustrating at times ) the licenses as a rite of passage which keeps being relevant with the new physics engine.
I can see people wanting to skip them ( not sure why but still ) and if it was still an offline experience only this would indeed not have any effect on my experience of the game.
But with online-racing as it is with "punters" and "crash test dummies" spoiling the experience I'd like to see them being mandatory to at least a large part of online-races too in fact ( only a few "free for all" events ).
Not as a guarantee it will be clean, but as a barrier to at least know the opponents you're up against have made an effort and posses some basic skill or at least are somewhat more serious than some of the fools I've encountered during Prologue.
 
But if it's something that stands in the way of the gamer enjoying it, why have it mandatory? If you enjoy completing them, that's fine, but not everyone wants to do that, especially as a structure it's stayed the same for five whole games.

If someone wants to skip them to access races, how would that affect people who did want to? It wouldn't.

What if you obtain a licence after winning a championship? Take the FIA Super Licence as an example (assuming more F1 cars are included). To enter a championship involving F1 cars, the driver must first become a champion of a lower category of motorsports (F3, GP2 (just using another example here)). Implementing licences this way may make it less strenous for the gamers who feel it's a chore completing time attack tests and adds to the realism of "living the life" of a pro racer.
 
Yeah I wouldn't mind that, as it would be unlocked by actually racing and I'd be learning whilst earning, so to speak.
 
What if you obtain a licence after winning a championship? Take the FIA Super Licence as an example (assuming more F1 cars are included). To enter a championship involving F1 cars, the driver must first become a champion of a lower category of motorsports (F3, GP2 (just using another example here)). Implementing licences this way may make it less strenous for the gamers who feel it's a chore completing time attack tests and adds to the realism of "living the life" of a pro racer.

What you're describing is basically a career mode which could be added I suppose but wouldn't be a full alternative to the more basic essential license tests focussing on one or multiple aspects only and also involve driving the normal cars.
I've said in my previous post that I'm a bit divided on the mandatory aspect but thinking about it again I think I'd like it to remain mandatory.
Sure games are designed as entertainment foremost and most games today offer a ( mostly paid for ) shortcut to achieving the main goals.
But I can't see any harm in being perhaps the only game where a more strict approach is still being found and it didn't affect the sales being the way it is as the millons it sold can't be all to hardcore racers only.
If you just gave in to each popular demand ( aka the casual gamer ) the core of the game would perhaps change too much from its original philosophy.
And that's coming from someone who's very openminded regarding incorporating different features and aspects into the GT-series.:)
 
What you're describing is basically a career mode which could be added I suppose but wouldn't be a full alternative to the more basic essential license tests focussing on one or multiple aspects only and also involve driving the normal cars.
I've said in my previous post that I'm a bit divided on the mandatory aspect but thinking about it again I think I'd like it to remain mandatory.
Sure games are designed as entertainment foremost and most games today offer a ( mostly paid for ) shortcut to achieving the main goals.
But I can't see any harm in being perhaps the only game where a more strict approach is still being found and it didn't affect the sales being the way it is as the millons it sold can't be all to hardcore racers only.
If you just gave in to each popular demand ( aka the casual gamer ) the core of the game would perhaps change too much from its original philosophy.
And that's coming from someone who's very openminded regarding incorporating different features and aspects into the GT-series.:)

Don't get me wrong, the feeling's mutual. I don't want the licences to deviate too far from the norm either, I love doing tests :) I just thought it'd be a simple alternative for those who can't be bothered. I think licence tests are pivotal to newcomers for them to get to grips with the basics of competitive driving. I also think that circle driving tests are highly important because they teach the driver to modulate their throttle response which is crucial if they drive without aids on professional physics. The same can be said for stopping and starting tests, which teaches novices that high powered cars are likely to have longer braking distances etc. 👍
 
But I'm no novice, hence why I find them a chore.

Since GT4 offered the photomode, as a photographer I became less interested in the game itself and wanted to take photos of the cars. For me, the licenses became an unneccesary barrier. I like the creativity that affords, but I also want to take images of the best cars. No game suffers from offering the player options to make it enjoyable to them.
 
But I'm no novice, hence why I find them a chore.

Since GT4 offered the photomode, as a photographer I became less interested in the game itself and wanted to take photos of the cars. For me, the licenses became an unneccesary barrier. I like the creativity that affords, but I also want to take images of the best cars. No game suffers from offering the player options to make it enjoyable to them.

To each their own I guess. I'd prefer 8 tests in each licence rather than 16. I liked GT3's tests the best.
 
the license tests are one of my favorite parts of the game along with the very beginning where you have to buy a used car and win measly amounts of money for tiny upgrades until you can afford a new better car.

once the money starts raking in, I don't feel as much satisfaction when I buy a new car. also, at that point, when you go to upgrade you just basically buy the highest upgrade level for every attribute of the car without a thought.
 
I personally like the tests, but for those who do not, it may be possible to copy a gamesave with just the licenses complete like in prologue.
 
Now... I'm a Goldjunkie - I have all-gold licences in multiple GT games in multiple regions - but I think the way GT does licences needs reviewing.

The tests themselves aren't the issue - they teach several things about the physics and driving lines to even experienced players. It's the implementation.

In reality, all you need to get a race licence is a short assessment of competancy. To get a higher-level race licence you need to drive a certain number of races at the lower level and this holds true right up to the highest levels, where performance becomes an issue too - to get a super licence you need to be an existing super licence holder or a champion of certain national/international series. Extending this to GT you'd need a single set of licence tests, then cut your teeth in road-based car series with your basic licence, advance to silhouette and single-seater racing, advance to international series and eventually, if you perform well enough at something like GT series or F2 you can get an F1/Indy/Sprint licence.

The current licence tests could then become a tutorial tool like GT4's Driving Missions - you don't have to do them, but they enhance your skills and you get game completion and prize cars/money for them. But not being able to do a 40mph slalom in a Saxo won't be a barrier to driving a 24hr race in an Aston Martin - and being able to do a 40mph slalom in a Saxo won't be a qualification to driving a 24hr race in an Aston Martin. The game becomes progressional and developmental while being accessible to all and the difficulty isn't diminished.
This all sounds nice, but if it ain't broken, why fix it?

The license tests have always been a gateway of sorts, a rite of passage to me. When I was younger, the IA in GT1 was hard to get, even just the bronzes, so the completion of the tests and eventually acquiring the license itself was a major accomplishment. Much moreso than the missions in GT4. If it isn't "required", it isn't quite the same thing. You finish the missions in GT4, get your cars and then what?

But more than anything, it would be a huge turn in the series, which I am hesitant in taking. The formula of the series is well established, and part of that is the licensing at the very beginning to get anywhere in the game. If it was gone, it just wouldn't be the same. It would be a little enthusiaish, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but not in the essence of GT. I want new things in the game, but the familiarity (just like every other GT sequel) should also be in GT5.
 
I need the driving licences.

I've just picked up a wheel and on GT5P I frankly suck. I figured no point practising on that. I'll just wait until GT5 and try to get accustomed to it's physics via completing the driving licences.
 
I really like and enjoy the presence of licences and missions in GT4 as a way of establishing that there is a defined challenge built in to each individual test, that someone at PD has designed a test that says to the driver where your driving skills start at, where specific improvements have been made on previously (split times/ghost car), total improvements on time from practicing and trying over and over again (maybe different lines might be better etc), and the ultimate satisfaction of having that gold time come up and knowing that you were good enough to beat something that PD specifically put in there as being difficult.

So in that respect, even with some of the mundane/simpler tests, i dont mind that it occasionally feels like a chore as its all part of the GT experience.

And as many have said, you only need to bronze them anyway, i think that any average player would have no trouble spending an hour or two going through all the components of each licence to qualify for particular races- is it really that big of a deal that thier presence be reviewed?

But for me the joy of wiping off many many seconds and then scrounging up tenths and hundredths from my original time against what the game specifically tells you is a difficult challenge is what makes the licences one of the best parts of GT for me.
 
I think a choice of two different ways to get the licences would work.

For those who want to get them the usual way, you can pass the licences with either Bronze, Silver or Gold passes and get prize cars for each level of pass and complete access to all racing halls in GT5 without any form of restriction.

On the other hand, if the Beginner Hall didn't require a licence for any events at all, the prize for completing the Hall would be the licence required to access the events of the next Hall up. This means you don't have to do any licence tests if you don't want to but you will only be able to race in the events in the different Halls sequentially.
 
I love the license tests. Thenagain I enjoy grinding in most other games too. I do however agree that PD shouldn't stop players from taking parts in events because they haven't finished IA or IB for example.
 
I don't mind the licenses, but I would appreciate if they ditched the 1 Lap Guide Runs because if you want to learn a track you have more than enough opportunity to do so with the use of free runs and ghost laps etc.
 
I would prefer if having licenses while completing a given event resulted in bonus earnings and/or rewards. The higher level of license you have earned, the greater the bonus. They should not be a requirement for competing in said events, outside of a few easy refreshers that don't take a skilled player to complete and are more for fun.

So if you want to play without a license you can. But you might earn 30-50% fewer credits for winning a race as compared to someone who has earned a license.
 
Simply because of the fact that they are really helpful, license tests shouldn't be missing.
I wouldn't mind PD changing the whole system a bit (because there sure are people out there having problem with the harder licenses) but GT wouldn't be GT if they would be missing completely.
 
This all sounds nice, but if it ain't broken, why fix it?

That's quite a regressive way of looking at feature development, it certainly isn't broken, but you should always look at improving and I think Famine's suggestions are good, it would add depth to the licenses section and give them a bit more meaning. I learnt lots from trying to gold the licenses on GT4, so it certainly holds its value, but why not increase that if you can?
 
I hate the idea of dumbing down the game because people cant be bothered to learn to drive properly but still want to compete in the higher race leagues (that would need said licenses in real life, though they are aquired in a different way).

I enjoy the license tests, they arent hard (to pass with bronze) but you need to have a decent driving level to pass them all. Whats the point in competing in the higher races (in which you will most likely lose, if you cant pass the licences) if you're not good enough to compete.

They do take a fair ammount of time, but its part of the content of the game, you can hit a lot of races with just the basic B licence, so you dont need to do them all at once, and once you have completed them you need never go back to redo.



It depends how things go in GT5, if we have traditional more lifelike race series, then licences could be aquired by competing/winning in those, as an aside to the actual licence tests. But then that would remove most of the reason for having the licence tests in the first place.
 
Last edited:
License tests are good. Although I wouldn't mind if they didn't have quite so many tests for each license. I think about 12 would be fine instead of the 16/17 in GT4.
 
I think there will probably be around 20 tests to cover the majority of psn trophys.
 
to get a super licence you need to be an existing super licence holder or a champion of certain national/international series. Extending this to GT you'd need a single set of licence tests, then cut your teeth in road-based car series with your basic licence, advance to silhouette and single-seater racing, advance to international series and eventually, if you perform well enough at something like GT series or F2 you can get an F1/Indy/Sprint licence.

Apologies Famine, I hadn't realised you suggested this idea first :)
 
I think GT4 had the licensing perfect. I don't think they over did it either. I hope that when I finally boot up my copy of GT5, I will be able to drive some nice cars and learn to drive them with the new physics engine. Also, I'd like to drive the cars before I buy them. And does anyone think standard cars will be used in any of the trials or will they only use premium?
 
Last edited:
I agree with Famine's post, I think that instead of licenses, you have to progress by winning series. You should at least pass a few basic competency tests at first though.
 
I hate the idea of dumbing down the game because people cant be bothered to learn to drive properly

What a load of rubbish. Once you know how to take a corner or stop in a box after 1000m you know how to. You'd learn more about each circuit in free drive by discovering the quickest way for you around the track than doing some mandatory bore fest.
 
I need the driving licences.

I've just picked up a wheel and on GT5P I frankly suck. I figured no point practising on that. I'll just wait until GT5 and try to get accustomed to it's physics via completing the driving licences.

Try unwinding the wheel a bit when turning and don't be too rough with your inputs.

With a controller, everything (for me) is WFO or full lock. The wheel takes a bit more precision. Be a bit smoother, keep at it for a day or two, and you'll get the hang of it. After a week or 2, you'll wonder why you took so long to get a wheel.

Another thing to keep in mind is that using the wheel on the GT5 demo was much more user friendly than Prologue. Even with the same assists; the demo felt better and the transition from driving a DFGT in Prologue to GT5's demo was nearly seamless.
 
Back