I tried Forza - Don't waste ur money

• Thread starter vax
  • 44 comments
Since I so stronly desire to race against other humans on a regular basis I rented an Xbox and Forza for 48 hours.

The engine sounds are terrible (yuk). Not even close to sounding like real races cars.

Doesn't have the realistic feel that GT4 does. The tracks seem really narrow. I get the feeling that I am on a much smaller screen than when I'm driving GT4.

I played it for about 8 total hours and it doesn't even come close. The customization and on-line play might make it worth the money but all I keep thinking is "Give me GT4 with on-line play with my garage".

I wonder how long we'll have to wait?????

vax

I couldn't agree more, I seemed to be squinting all the time on the dusk/night races. Played it for a week..gave up..... EBayed it...........PS2 and GT4 back out of the cupboard!!

But there is nothing new in GT4. It's boring. If I could go back in time I would rather buy Forza then GT4. Forza's customization is actually pretty good. I would love to do some nice customization but I can't beacuse GT4 doesn't have that and it sucks :(
And ofcourse, it can be played online!

jump_ace ... a friend from the WRS came over to my house last SUnday and we played FOrza because he'd never seen it before (and I'd played it only a couple of times) ... it has a different learning curve, that's for sure, and FORGET braking and turning at the same time ... but one of my main observations, and he agreed, was the fact that certain tracks seem too narrow (especially The 'Ring). It does take some getting used to and it does feel very different from GT4, but it's not a bad game.

I totally agree with the first post.

Forza has a terrible framerate for such an anticipated game, the reflections lag, xbox's r more powerfull than PS2's? I just think that GT4 has the balance right. The cars sound muffled and rumbly rather than the rich sounds of GT. By far far the best for the xbox but comes no where near GT4's overall quality. GT4 is getting more features, but in small doses (like b-spec and photos). Forza has the most boring replays on earth. Personally if u wanna racing game and dont mind giving up Halo (coz its not that amazing as they make it out to be really), then sell ur xbox or watever and get a PS2 coz GT is the best there ever will be.

I agree Kolyana, it's not a bad game. If I had not been exposed to GT4 and GT3 I would have gone bonkers over it.

It has many awesome features. It just doesn't compete in the feel of really driving something. You don't get the feel of being immersed in the experience like GT does. It seems much more arcade-like to me versus GT.

Considering the extra processing power the XBox has, I expected it to be at least as good in that area.

Microsoft will probably do much better in the next version but PD needs to step up. If they had the customization and on-line play.......

Didn't mean to offend anyone. I was just so disappointed.

vax

Kolyana
jump_ace ... a friend from the WRS came over to my house last SUnday and we played FOrza because he'd never seen it before (and I'd played it only a couple of times) ... it has a different learning curve, that's for sure, and FORGET braking and turning at the same time ... but one of my main observations, and he agreed, was the fact that certain tracks seem too narrow (especially The 'Ring). It does take some getting used to and it does feel very different from GT4, but it's not a bad game.

The Forza 'ring I would not call to narrow, rather the opposite, its too wide, the kerbs are far to high in places and the track itself is actually longer than the real version.

The added width and length really hammer your laptimes when compaired to GT4 and real life.

The Forza offical guide even gives the track length at over 13 miles, rather than the correct 12.94 miles.

Take a look at the Fuchrohre/Adenauer Forst section, in GT4 it is impossiable to see the apex of any of these corners before you have to turn in, so it must be done blind; as a result it is as tricky as hell. In Forza the extra track width allows you to visually pick up the apexs just before you commit to them, making a classic and famously trick part of the 'ring a lot easier.

I have to say that for me the 'ring is my biggest single dissapointment with Forza, in addition to the above the lack of surface texture in the Karussell is appaling.

Im far too stubbon with GT4 and always comapre things to it, but still, if its not as good then there is no point in getting it. If u only have an xbox then get it coz its the best on xbox. I have had it and was trying to find a good point, but microsoft shud be doing better.

Worst review ever! And if sucked so much why did it sell so well and why do so many people like it?

The engine sounds may not be perfect, which they aren't, but at least when you upgrade the motor it doesn't sound like a Hoover vaccuum cleaner. I rather like the engine sounds on the game.

Next this is the first racing game in the Forza series and it is pretty much as good as GT which has had 4 to get it right. Imagine if they would have came out at the same time? Forza 2 will be better then GT5 if PD doesn't step something up. I have fun just doing paint jobs on the Forza cars.

The tracks are wider to handel more cars during online play, if you had the same width as GT you would crash into everyone all the time. The extra width is there for a reason.

I hated Nurburgring in Gt and I hate it in Forza, way to long and I don't want to race it. I get to bored driving for that long. But I think they are decent in there own ways if I must like them.

truth
Im far too stubbon with GT4 and always comapre things to it, but still, if its not as good then there is no point in getting it. If u only have an xbox then get it coz its the best on xbox. I have had it and was trying to find a good point, but microsoft shud be doing better.

Just like I mentioned in my thread that you replied to, all the complaints about narrowness, different feel, etc.....it is a different game than GT4....

The AI, tracks, can all be overcome with practice and good driving. You are not used to it because IT IS A DIFFERENT GAME..

I actually quite like the game myself. It is not GT4. If PD and Microsoft decided to combine resources and make Forza GT or GT Motorsport (or whatever you want to call it) and release it on both platforms, it would be the greatest racing game of all time!

But, I digress......please type it like you write it!

Worst review ever! And if sucked so much why did it sell so well and why do so many people like it?

Blazin,

People of your character who can't post without criticizing someone are the reason I visit these forums so seldom. My post did not criticize anyone, just the product.

These forums are for exhanging information and opinions about the games, not about other people.

No need to provide a reply because I won't see it. I'll go back to the GT forums where people aren't so sensitive about a darned video game.

vax

Meh I will anyways, but if you are going to review something by making a new thread at least be in depth. McLaren provided a decent review because he went in depth. This stuff should have been posted in the GT4 vs. Forza thread, not a sperate one. Plus I never attacked you just your review.

Plus what kind of reaction were you thinking you would get in the Forza area?

BlazinXtreme

The engine sounds may not be perfect, which they aren't, but at least when you upgrade the motor it doesn't sound like a Hoover vaccuum cleaner. I rather like the engine sounds on the game.

Next this is the first racing game in the Forza series and it is pretty much as good as GT which has had 4 to get it right. Imagine if they would have came out at the same time? Forza 2 will be better then GT5 if PD doesn't step something up. I have fun just doing paint jobs on the Forza cars.

The tracks are wider to handel more cars during online play, if you had the same width as GT you would crash into everyone all the time. The extra width is there for a reason.

I hated Nurburgring in Gt and I hate it in Forza, way to long and I don't want to race it. I get to bored driving for that long. But I think they are decent in there own ways if I must like them.
FANBOY!

German Muscle

:lol: Wow thats funny since I think I've logged maybe 12 hours on the game and I'm at about 20% complete. I've had it since May. I love how if I say one thing is better then something else it makes me a fan boy. If I'm a fan boy of any game it's Diablo II.

Alright how about I tell you whats wrong with Forza?

- Number of cars is way to low, even if you took out all the crappy cars from GT it still would be a lot more. That is something that I really like about the GT series.

- Tracks, there are a number of tracks in Forza I hate. The Japan one and Silverstone are two I can't stand.

- That complex test track in Forza isn't all that great, once again way to complex and way to long.

- There needs to be more competition in the races, I find that I can win way to easy. Except for that damn Corvette series.

- No more stock races, I find them extremely boring.

BlazinXtreme
:lol: Wow thats funny since I think I've logged maybe 12 hours on the game and I'm at about 20% complete. I've had it since May. I love how if I say one thing is better then something else it makes me a fan boy. If I'm a fan boy of any game it's Diablo II.
Ok.

The reason i called you a fanboy is because of the way you responded. You responded in a harsh way that wasnt needed. Your attempt at trying to make him or his reveiw look dumb was very poor. These things are frequently done by fanboys. Dont get all pissy when someone posts their opinion for others to see, especially when its done for informations sake like he did.

I was just pointing out the fact that his review wasn't very good at all. I can have my opinions to.

thats cool and please share your opinions just dont act like you did in your first post. His review wasnt normal. He was basically saying if you love GT4 and are constantly comparing things to it then dont get it. This actually was advice for me because i was going to get an XBOX and a Forza with some other games just to change it up a bit. thanks to this guy im going to play forza first then decide if i want to spend the money to own it.

Whatever my first post wasn't out of hand what so ever, I backed up why I though Forza was good and why I disagreed with his post. Oh well this is stupid to argue on the internet.

BlazinXtreme
Oh well this is stupid to argue on the internet.
You rather do it on the phone? :D

I think I would like Forza a lot, too bad I can´t afford an Xbox right now. :(

:indiff: I really believe this is turning into a Fanboy war... Who can out fanboy the other. I mean if you've grown up playing the GT series and jump into something that is completely different chances are you think it sucks because IT'S NOT GT.... People are so close minded to the fact that something PD didn't put out might be good that they don't take the time to learn the game and play it..they rent it play it for 5 mins and say it sucks....I'm sorry, but taking the Audi TT around the nurburgring doesn't really give you a feel for the game.

Wether or not you like the engine sounds or not..
it's got Ferrari's...it's got porsches..A Feature not many racing SIMS for consoles have..

Tracks are wide..Blazing explained this...

As far as sounds go, I think they did a damn good job, almost every car gets a different exhaust note depending on which exhaust it uses.. Stock vs mod vs club vs race etc...

Forza is a great game...No it's not a game that's worth going out and buying a X box for...
NO one game is worth going out and buying a console.. Not Forza not halo 2 not GT4 i learned that the hard way..... :indiff:

Scaff
I have to say that for me the 'ring is my biggest single dissapointment with Forza, in addition to the above the lack of surface texture in the Karussell is appaling.

Well I'm no expert ... but if they have the length wrong, then obviously something is amiss. Clearly PD did a much more painstaking job of creating their tracks.

As for the Karusell, I couldn't agree more ... jump_ace went around the first one and we both went "UGH!" ... and the second one is an absolute joke ... it's like a normal uncambered corner with a funky texture.

I don´t know, from what I´ve read they got the Rio track spot on. Although it´s a fantasy track, people who live there say the background is very accurate. One guy said he can even see his apartment´s window on the game.

If you want a good laugh at people comparing the 2 games' tracks, head over to Forza Central.

No offense, but they seemed to care more about the background looking better than the track itself in realism.

I couldn't give a crap if Forza had Laguna Seca's buildings more accurate than GT4s. I don't pay attention to them and why would I when I'm supposed to be driving around the track, not looking at the scenery.

I think its more about the track itself in terms of which game has the better design and detail, not if the grass isn't there in real life, or the if the buildings look undetailed.

I'm racing around a course, not driving through a park.

I've never actually driven around any of the tracks, so my opinion may not mean much to you guys... but from what I've seen on TV, Forza nailed the tracks.

I mean, I ABSOLUTELY HATE racing at Silverstone, but when I watched a race on TV, I was amazed at how everything there looked exactly like the game. Even the dreary gray sky. And I got to see a couple of Road Atlanta races, and again, every detail seemed spot on.

I've been diving hardcore into racers since GT4 came out. I've bought and beaten GT4 and then Toca 2, and I'm working on Rallisport 2, Colin McRae 2005, and Forza. So call me a fanboy if you like...

My take on the Forza vs GT4 thing... I personally think Forza is the superior game by far. I lot of people have their own likes-dislikes about the 2, but for me, things like AI and damage FAR outweigh the number of cars thing that GT4 has going for it.

Forza had a bit of a learning curve, but once I got through that, I find that my driving ability on other racing games has improved. The game actually taught me how to drive better in videogames! And it may start out easy, as Blazin mentioned, but I guarantee you that you will be forced to earn your victories later in the game. Blazin (as well as a LOT of other gamers) mentioned that the Corvette stuff is rediculously hard... well I can smoke that series, but I get owned during the GT class championships. This level of challenge is important to me.

With GT4, I never have any competition. It's like "get in the front... do laps, let the drone cars do their thing" With Forza, it's a tight battle all the way.

No, Forza isn't perfect.
-- I'm a little dissappointed by some of the sound effects. Not really the engine sounds, because I don't know how they "should" sound, but more like how you can hear a car hit a wall 20 yards behind you louder than you can hear your own crash.
-- The AI does get a little too agressive later in the game.
-- The soundtrack is lame (thank God for customs).
-- You can't damage your car to the point where you can't finish.
-- Lame race qualifying system.
-- And the lack of a cockpit/hood view is simply lazy on the developers part (same for GT4).

Although it's not perfect, I do believe it is the superior racer on the market right now. Not my favorite, mind you (that title belongs to Toca 2) but still the best overall sim racer out.

By the way, I've logged about 60-70 hours into this game trying to get through the career mode, but I'm so burned out (as I should be of any game after that many hours) I let a friend borrow it for a while. Also, I don't have Live, so even though everyone says that the online stuff is the best part of this game, I can't comment on that as I've never played it online. :guilty:

Hufer.D
I've never actually driven around any of the tracks, so my opinion may not mean much to you guys... but from what I've seen on TV, Forza nailed the tracks.

I mean, I ABSOLUTELY HATE racing at Silverstone, but when I watched a race on TV, I was amazed at how everything there looked exactly like the game. Even the dreary gray sky. And I got to see a couple of Road Atlanta races, and again, every detail seemed spot on.

Sorry but I can't agree that Forza has got the tracks nailed, the 'ring is not a good representation of the real thing and a number of members here who have driven at Laguna Seca have stated that the GT4 version is more accurate.

You see most people here do not care much if the backgrounds are more accurate, but if the tracks are acurate. Its all about the driving you see.

BTW I've been to Silverstone in the middle of summer in bright sunshine, its not always dark and dreary.

Hufer.D
I've been diving hardcore into racers since GT4 came out. I've bought and beaten GT4 and then Toca 2, and I'm working on Rallisport 2, Colin McRae 2005, and Forza. So call me a fanboy if you like...

Same as most of us in here, its what we love.

Hufer.D
My take on the Forza vs GT4 thing... I personally think Forza is the superior game by far. I lot of people have their own likes-dislikes about the 2, but for me, things like AI and damage FAR outweigh the number of cars thing that GT4 has going for it.

Forza had a bit of a learning curve, but once I got through that, I find that my driving ability on other racing games has improved. The game actually taught me how to drive better in videogames! And it may start out easy, as Blazin mentioned, but I guarantee you that you will be forced to earn your victories later in the game. Blazin (as well as a LOT of other gamers) mentioned that the Corvette stuff is rediculously hard... well I can smoke that series, but I get owned during the GT class championships. This level of challenge is important to me.

With GT4, I never have any competition. It's like "get in the front... do laps, let the drone cars do their thing" With Forza, it's a tight battle all the way.

I would agree with you that Forza is a better game; but as far as a driving simulator goes in my mind GT4 is streets ahead.

Forza is heavely biased towards tail-out action (in a similar way to the first two GT games), understeer is not strongly enough implemented particularly with regard to FWD cars.

As far as the AI goes, yes it does make for a more excitting race, but its not a realistic representation of a real race driver. Drive like that in any real series (including the BTCC) and you would end up black flagged. Forza does also show 'rubber-banding' in the AI, this keeps the pack together, but is far from realistic.

Don't get me wrong GT still has a long way to go on the AI, but Forza is not the model of perfection some people make it out to be.

The damage model on Forza also suffers from the same problem as most games, in that it is limited to such a degree that to my mind it may as well not be in place.

Hufer.D
No, Forza isn't perfect.
-- I'm a little dissappointed by some of the sound effects. Not really the engine sounds, because I don't know how they "should" sound, but more like how you can hear a car hit a wall 20 yards behind you louder than you can hear your own crash.
-- The AI does get a little too agressive later in the game.
-- The soundtrack is lame (thank God for customs).
-- You can't damage your car to the point where you can't finish.
-- Lame race qualifying system.
-- And the lack of a cockpit/hood view is simply lazy on the developers part (same for GT4).

Although it's not perfect, I do believe it is the superior racer on the market right now. Not my favorite, mind you (that title belongs to Toca 2) but still the best overall sim racer out.

By the way, I've logged about 60-70 hours into this game trying to get through the career mode, but I'm so burned out (as I should be of any game after that many hours) I let a friend borrow it for a while. Also, I don't have Live, so even though everyone says that the online stuff is the best part of this game, I can't comment on that as I've never played it online. :guilty:

All you issues with Forza are valid and GT has a list of similar issues, but as far as a realistic physics model goes I would say that GT4 has the edge. I work in Automotive training in the UK and Europe and have used GT3 and GT4 (with wheel & pedals) as a training aid during product launch training. I have to say that I would never consider using Forza for this; the physics model (particularly in regard to FWD cars) and the lack of true force feedback for wheels just does not make it suitable.

As for Forza being the best consule sim out, it a long way from it, now don't get me wrong GT4 is not the best consule sim either. That honour has to go to Richard Burns Rally, out for the PC, PS2 and X-box it is by far and away the best and most accurate sim out for any consule (and one of he best for PC).

Now in closing I am not going to say that GT4 is better in all ways than Forza, as I have said as a driving game, Forza is the better of the two, close fun racing with a good range of cars.

However as a driving sim, GT4 is still far ahead of Forza, the physics model is more accurate (but as a result less accessable and more frustrating), the tracks are more accurate in the areas that count and the range of cars excellent (sorry I don't see how people can moan about 700+ cars).

Which one you prefer is of course you choice and I would never say that your personally taste is wrong, but mine differs and I just thought (as you did) I would share my reasons.

Regards

Scaff

For me it was the other way around. I love the sounds way better, but I think that both games have what the other one needs. GT4 needs the better graphics, Forza needs better control. I could go on forever like this.

I think most people have the same views after playing for a little while after gt4.
the graphics, handling, and feel dont give you a good first impression at all.

i was pretty guttd because i told my friend to buy a xbox for forza and he actually did it
but it wasnt till after 20 hours or so i really got used to it and started loving it.

Now they both Have wrong physics they are equally bad
my opinion is gt4 has a bit to much understeer but NO oversteer you have a 600 horsepower car and floor it as you are turning full lock and it just keeps round not stepping out at all thats crappy and my main reason i dont play gt4 anymore.

Forza is slightly more unrealistic but its more fun in my opinion to much oversteer but i think it does a better job.

BTW: Richard Burns Rally is a better sim than both of them.Best game ever.

Back