Ibo's Garage - TTRS3GTR

• Thread starter Ibonibo
  • 777 comments
Thanks a lot for the flowers @Hayden . Great people appreciate it :bowdown: I love it how on a gaming site with this little section of the forum, we have so many really dedicated people on here. Even on make specific forum it's not always the case

The rust isn't bad, but I want to treat it asap as untreated it will spread in no time.
I think if I can keep up the speed I have the rust under control end of the week. Then reassambling. Then registration.
If it goes to plan in 2 weeks time it's on the road and it will endure and can the conditions here even though it is only a nice weather car.
Better be safe than sorry.

I think I should have enough Wax to treat the car

20150531_162337_zpsrhh6tmtp.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And so it began

The rear quarters are incredible hard to reach. Anything other than the sand blaster is impossible

20150531_144415_zps7lrxoht2.jpg

After around 3 hours of blasting, taking cellphone pics, blasting, filling up, blasting....

20150531_170855_zpsziwiq689.jpg

Problem came from the exterior where a seam is missing, don't think there ever was one. It was slightly coated but not enough.

To really fix it, it should be open and cleaned. But I think without oxygen getting in, it will slow it down pretty well

20150531_171750_zpso82kjgak.jpg

20150531_173007_zps5y4dvhjf.jpg

Put some rust primer on it till the 3 other spots are treated too. Then I take the red stuff off again and then 2k Epoxy paint, 2k grey Ral paint, then wax the thing shut.

That's the problem with 2K paint rattle cans. They only last a few hours before they harden out.

Should give me years, but it will get done better when the respray comes.

*Buys cleanest R33 I've ever seen*
*Tears it into a million pieces*
You sir are insane.

I've got to give you a lot of credit @Ibonibo, the thoroughness, dedication and passion you show to your cars is truly amazing. Perfect isn't perfect enough and that's the kind of attitude that separates regular car guys, from those who win awards. You're nothing less than a role model mate and I'm really looking forward to seeing the steps you take with the GTR as time ticks by. The thought of another bandwidth busting paint job has me genuinely excited, especially if you can match the quality of the S3!

Keep it up you crazy son of a gun! 👍
I agree 100%. Was actually shocked to see how fast he tore the R33 apart to make it even better. 👍

👍 Thanks ;)

Under the panel under the steering wheel was this box. It seemed like Nissan put more glue on it than foam, probably though the foam just disintergrated over time, leaving this ikky brown gluey sauce on it.

20150531_184748_zpsuqyvbjut.jpg

Scraped it off piece by piece. Thaught it would be done in 10 minutes. Took 2 hours. Wiped it off with tinner to remove all residue.

As I have a lot of fake alacantara left from my trial to redo the headliner on the S3 myself, warped in it. Cleaned the panel and reattached all.

20150601_200032_zpsufgxcenv.jpg

Tidy 👍 :D

Some stuff:

My tuner is official distributor for DSport, so took a whole year of them

20150601_230139_zpssjifomta.jpg

So much cool stuff, their 101 on engine parts are amazing

So many documents on the car. The first owner is unknown. Or firsts. Car was bought in 2009 by a marine in Okinawa, brought to Belgium as he got stationed here. Moved backed to the US and the car changed owner to a small dutch automotive parts dealer.

20150601_230314_zpshxwwuvub.jpg

And the service book. I think the first owner is written in there, but my japanese is non existant :lol:
Original Hand book (need to take some pic, their picture explination are hillarious)
And the Australian translated one in new condition (over Amazon :lol: )

20150601_230340_zpsrbyrrdks.jpg

Last edited:
All the documentation you have is astounding, especially considering how old it is and how far the car has traveled. That's an amazing find 👍👍

SVX
That says NZ, dammit. :P

Thaught that was for "Japaneze" :lol: yeah common knowledge :lol:

Otherside

20150603_1_zpszcy8ouqa.jpg

After the first few passes

20150603_2_zpshc0sfg20.jpg

Clean

20150603_3_zpsk3ivoxuk.jpg

Gloves on, silicon remover and a rag
then a bit of paint

20150603_4_zps0vtwlgvc.jpg

The mirrorholder are impossible to remove. Think one needs to remove the whole window

So I cleaned it installed of all the rust
and put rust stopper on top

20150603_6_zpsws8jyroj.jpg

20150603_7_zpsd2vdnjok.jpg

20150603_8_zpsrasnnspt.jpg

20150603_93_zpsnkcuazhi.jpg

There was a tiny tiny spot, while at it

20150603_10_zpsy0t40nvg.jpg

Inside

20150603_5_zpsptw3hbss.jpg

Then exterior rear exterior to clean, though there is nearly nothing to do
Then I can go on the 2k epoxy

Last edited:
You need to calm down, the German influence is showing quite a bit at the moment :lol: Already pulling it apart to make sure that it will be ok for the next 5 years, eh? Well, better safe tha sorry.. and it probably gives you peace of mind to know that you fixed *EVERYTHING*

You need to calm down, the German influence is showing quite a bit at the moment :lol: Already pulling it apart to make sure that it will be ok for the next 5 years, eh? Well, better safe tha sorry.. and it probably gives you peace of mind to know that you fixed *EVERYTHING*

:lol::lol: Well once opened you need to :dopey:

The rear quarters had some minor scratches that went deep enough to have developed a tiny ittz bittzy of rust.... Rear spats + little stone =

20150604_1_zpssicj5wrp.jpg

:rolleyes:

One fixation of the seats

20150604_2_zpswgay6tjx.jpg

(lacking a pic of the after on this one, I can say it's gone and done) *Epoxy out*

Interior rear

20150604_3_zpsz69iqnet.jpg

Otherside

20150604_4_zpslutq8fbe.jpg

Exterior

20150604_8_zps0qrbggcj.jpg

Should, could have taped of the plastic bit :ouch:
20150604_9_zpsph5ky6vg.jpg

20150604_10_zpsqhmaavgr.jpg

20150604_5_zpshcivojiu.jpg

20150604_6_zpsautiloos.jpg

20150604_7_zpsre8ket8w.jpg

Tomorrow seam sealant all parts
x-all-the-y.png

Then grey ral paint 2K (satin finish), so no need for a layer of clear :embarrassed:

The exterior rear will be covered by the spats, so I don't care for the 2 tone :lol:

Around 10 days where I spent every single free minute in the garage working on the car till late in the evening, generally around 10-11pm. Totally worth it :D

Waxed the whole trunk and lid

20150606_171637_zpsqx2jgvxk.jpg

Rear arches completly waxed from front to rear

20150606_171743_zpsoseftgzy.jpg

20150606_172332_zpsovbf9ffk.jpg

20150606_183536_zpspollg4s3.jpg

Sills done

20150606_183540_zpsav4dnfz7.jpg

20150606_183548_zpstmaw9t7h.jpg

Used a whole bottle of Febreze to clean all carpets and seats. Took hours of scrubing and vaccuming
Cleaned every platic panel, front and back...
Redid the wires to a more german spec :lol:
Repostitioned all the parts that cluttered the dash.
Replaced the missing screws and found some under carpets or behind plastics...

20150608_215022_zpsvfdxfhti.jpg

Boostcontroller in the armrest, torque splitter in the ashtray, turbotimer in the fusebox under the steering wheel, defi gauges and FC commander in the glovebox (forgot to take a pic of the glovebox, tomorrow ;) )

20150608_215059_zps9jgac6jb.jpg

No idea what the sparkle is ??

20150608_215124_zpsarowvna2.jpg

1 Seat, doorpanels trunk covers and rear spats to go. Then I am done and attack registration.

Plates are already here (RB 2601 :D )

Interior is done

20150610_213939_zpsvkuzqjks.jpg

20150610_213921_zpsbag8mmkj.jpg

Sadly one of the used mirrors was not folding, so I wanted to repair it as those "fingers" in the blue loosen themselves, known issue. Sadly someone already tried to repair it and broke the PCB in half, or nearly broke it. To cover it up, used fresh screws on the arm. Tried to resolder it with a few wires to close the gap. Helas as it's bend the fingers don't make contact...So the shop where I bought them could not have know. They will either resend a new mirror or just a pcb 👍. Till then I mounted this one. Mirror moves, it's just not folding electronicly... :indiff:

20150609_1833391_zpsifw0pveo.jpg

The booth still to do. Simply reputting the carpets in. The rear spats then it's done. So next week I can look to get it registered. Hoping to do it quickly. Need to take an appointement asa my insurance papers get in the mail 👍

You missed a spot on the driver side of transmission tunnel.

:lol: The sparkle? Yeah the rear seats too, probably something deep in the tissue. After some vaccuming it will be out ;)

Okay, a lot of "Yeah" "Ohh" and "WTH" moments... some not funny at all...

Let's start with the GTR

Cleaned the spats holder and number plate holder from all the rust. The number plate look fine with the paint only minor rust on the holes
But under the paint, rust everywhere

So everything off

20150611_172710_zps4yhgscgg.jpg

And new 2k paint over it

20150611_214755_zpsgldttahk.jpg

214990_zpsgivsjlfv.jpg

Then only the spats to go...

Cleaned the undercoating from the spats (?)

20150612_171748_zpsoilesqol.jpg

Removed all the double sided tape

And then :

20150612_185258_zpse5kidyjz.jpg

No idea how that happend. Handled them with the greatest care possible. Maybe fatigue from 18year old plastics? Thing is they are rare and not available anymore.

Finding some in good condition is really hard. There are 3rd party but it's not the same, ain't it...

So I melted them together

20150612_185843_zpscyvybco3.jpg

And put 2K epoxy palstic glue over it

20150612_190122_zpsqsb6neeh.jpg

Should be good for the moment, till the whole car gets redone

This is how I worked on them, So really took all precautions possible, probably even more

20150612_190148_zpsowysrsvv.jpg

Fresh glue and screws
20150612_193242_zpsciykneg1.jpg

And this is why spraying just over without removing parts is bad. Bad edge of clear coat. Not gonna pull on it, but at one point it will probably peel
20150612_193308_zpsoeodwvcq.jpg

Now on the S3, after the GTR was sorted, time to attack the interior of that beauty

Reinstalled the trunk

20150612_202850_zpslx04nexq.jpg

B covers I painted and frankenstein'd together with the ebay parts

20150612_202902_zpsqetxiyil.jpg

I figured my sparco harnesses could go as I rarely use them, plus without a cage, in an barrelroll it could compress the spine too much without proper cage

20150612_215337_zpszuvmxwj9.jpg

As I had no motivation to get the seat out again, I wanted to remove it with the seat in, just slided the seat out of the rail. Had to cut it off in order to turn this to get it out of the attach

20150612_215455_zpstir0nnmr.jpg

Refoamed the trunk

20150613_184351_zpsjdakinjb.jpg

As I placed the cables from the sills to under the seats where the OEM run, the power cable was a tat to short to install the splitter on the plate. Gonna put it behind the OEM cover and double side tape it in. In order to make sure the cover stays on :lol:

20150613_185549_zpsiylxyq2a.jpg

Plate installed

20150613_190254_zpsi74yuu0r.jpg

It has been nearly 2 years that I disassembled all. Some of the writing disappeared on the tape that was over them. It took me some sorting and then it was fairly quickly figured out. Installed this back in 2006 :lol: All works like day1 👍

20150614_183543_zpsgdl3kiae.jpg

There will be some spacers and a second plate with the OEM carpet over it. Need to refacture some spacers.

Now the whole bodyshell was refitted in the interior. Had the rear windows open in order to pull the seal over the interior trim. A friend visited an noticed:

20150614_183656_zpsgewk97q9.jpg

:banghead::ouch:

After they refitted the car, I wasn't happy how the plastic trim around windows aligned. So it went back. They fitted it better but not perfect. Mecanic said my paint was too thick. Okay I thaught.

Then I refitted the interor, and when I wanted to pull the seal over the interior trim I noticed it suede was facing outside. So they fitted that inverse. Went back. They changed the seals.

Now this. What a moron.
It was all free the reworks they did, obviously. And the boss, which is my person of contact, wasn't pleased with the work done prior.
Now he will be pissed 🤬

Thing is, Allegedly this were the last seals Audi had, or sells to customers.

Luckily I have had a misplaced order and ordered 3 of these seals. Luckily I hadn't sold it yet.

But the part number said wrong side.

20150614_223117_zpsvjugf8fb.jpg

Then I noticed the hole were on the wrong place. Or were they....

20150614_191108_zpswx7p6b1p.jpg

So they still inversed the seals. The hole need to face down. :lol: 🤬

Thaught WTH and assembled the rest

20150614_221825_zpslgq3kxgl.jpg

Detailled the seats, not bad looking for 13 years

20150614_221932_zps2jma3owo.jpg

Last edited:

Now, the S3 is done on the built. Needs a good polish once more, and it's good.
Ohh and the garage will rechange the seals at their costs. I bet some mecanic had a bad Monday when called by the shop owner. I actually said the inverted seals were no big deal but at this point, just ripping a seal open and not changing it or even notifying is a no-go.

20150615_165541_zpslhulxpoa.jpg

Double floor trunk

20150616_134400_zpsjd5hadxv.jpg

20150616_134617_zpsrazacs9c.jpg

The S will get reregistered after the GTR. Probably next month

The GTR took now nearly 2 weeks to get an insurance on it. My company where I was till now, rejects old cars and just gives you the mandatory insurance (civil responsibility) but I wanted more.

Contacted a new company, got an insurance covering everything except my own fault. But windows, wild animals, theft,... all covered 👍

Tomorrow I should have the papers in the mail then I can finally start getting it on the road.
So much hassle first time : Customs to get a report, TüV papers for the tuning bits (€), single title reception at the state homologation (€) and then pass the MOT.

So much burocracy, it's unbelievable.

This morning a package arrived

A repair mirror from the shop. It was so big and heavy, it wasn't just the PCB alone.

Got a whole mirror set repair kit :lol:

Took the partgiver apart. PCB and blue bit intact 👍 They sent out a badly painted one, a grey one, but the original was in better shape, so operation
20150618_175522_zpswtlubbvg.jpg

Soldered the 2 PCB off in, but in order to get the cables out I had open the mirror adjuster plate and remove the wires from the motors

20150618_190741_zps1lhxga7w.jpg

Then remove the blue bit

20150618_190750_zpsihkpm7cu.jpg

Reglued the intact one, just in case, though all bumps were/are intact

20150618_190842_zpslfca8z9l.jpg

And resolder & reassemble

20150618_195248_zpsnkk4ufob.jpg

Reassemble the adjuster plate

20150618_195748_zpsfxoqifyt.jpg

And back on the door, ignition on .... fold button... folding ... .Yeah

Also did the customs today,so I could drive the GTR for a whooping 15km :( also asked for an appointement at the TüV.

I now saw that the tires are a little worn out on the outside flank, so I went in the shop as I couldn't tell if beyond the legal limit or not. The front are 8 years old .... and it's US homolated tires :( No good.... at least for the homologation. It can cause problem if they see that...

Ordered some new ones, wanted Pirelli's ZeroNero, but they had a massive delay. So I took GY Eagle F1. They were also cheaper and can be mounted on Monday 👍

Next week it should be homologated

WTH!!!

Took me 2 weeks to get an acceptable insurance. Covering everything not my fault and not at astronomical rates...

When I got that I made an appointement for the TüV. Legalize the exaust and suspensions...
That was today. He didn't show up. No cancellation. Phoned their at the offices. Secretary tried to join him. Didn't pick up... WTH I have the state test on Monday. And it's "booked"* out for weeks after that
She calls me back tomorrow morning and I should get an appointement for this week. But WTH. Professionalism?

(* There are cancellations if I can get one of those, or take a whole day off and wait to pass)

But at least I could legally drive the car for a good 3 hours on backroads :D

Took some pics. A few more need editing...

2015_07_02_0801%20copy_zpszkqnwhlq.jpg

2015_07_02_0805_zpsuoorlz2k.jpg

2015_07_02_08161_zpsu4b7gxod.jpg

2015_07_02_08271_zpsectup9ra.jpg

Also attached the goPro but the sound is quite muffled :(

Will see if I upload it.

I thought Luxembourg had the same efficency as the Germans.. Guess you're more like a German lol. We're in Lux on Thursday evening I guess.. You better not lose your plates until then :D

Good news, bad news.

What I forgot above, the TüV guy was in holiday for a week without an automatic email reply. That with the insurance and the cancelled appointement, I am somewhere on 3 weeks delay because of burocratie...:banghead:

Now I finally got the TüV done on saturday morning. Ask when I get the papers as I have an appointement to pass the state homologation on Monday. "Ohh no, mid week you get your papers, it's a lot of work you know" :banghead:
So I had to cancel my appointement for today :banghead::grumpy:
More delay :banghead:

But at least it passed the TüV without complaints, the guy was quite impressed with the state for a 18 year old car.
As soon as I have my papers I just go wait there without appointement and hope to get a free spot...:scared:

I thought Luxembourg had the same efficency as the Germans.. Guess you're more like a German lol. We're in Lux on Thursday evening I guess.. You better not lose your plates until then :D

No problem, I write you a pm. But sadly as above, chances that the GTR is registed till then will be really tight. I will try to pass it on wednesday or thursday, so maybe with a bit of luck we can take it for a spin. Otherwise we take the RS ;)

You know, looking at the pics.. There's only way you could make your GT-R better; By trading it into an R32 GT-R instead. :D *ducks and runs* Just kidding.. It's stunning, especially with those wheels.

^Hahaha.... R33 is my favorite from the whole Skyline... line.

Ohh man, finally got my TüV papers today. It's a joke. Seriously. He could have handed me those out directly, or at least on Monday so I could have made my appointement. No way he took hours to fill out a 3 page template form with 6, yes, SIX lines of text :banghead::banghead: . And not even speaking about the costs :grumpy:.

If I would work like that I could look for a new job :lol:

Took a day off work tomorrow in order to register the car. I do not have an appointement for the state homologation, neither for the inspection :lol: Probably the whole day is needed to get it done, most of the time wasted with waiting :banghead:.

Fingers crossed.

So what happened in the mean time?

We have a few control stations, before leaving I checked for an open spot, and got one, so I was on appointement, but at the very south of the country...

Waited with appointement 4 hours, Finally the guy checked my documents,... and "Ohh Sir, you need to go to the other station to pass that car"....

Whole day gone.... That was on Thursday...

Refound an open spot for Monday (last monday that was)...

Passed the homologation, but they cut me the two rear seats because and I quote " Japanese people are smaller" :banghead:
Gross weight is 250kg more, Here 300 were needed because they calculate 75kg per person...

So I couldn't pass the MOT, inspection, because I needed to delete the rear....:ouch:

Tuesday then I passed the inspection and failed....:irked:

My rear numberplate was screwed on, thats a reason to fail here WTH :banghead::banghead:
And my rear fog light is on the "wrong" side :banghead::banghead:

Apparently my engine leaks, which is not true :lol:, but that got me an other hole (but not failing cause of that)

Redid the inspection today, apparently the engine is still leaking:banghead: Stupid, I cleaned the axle cover, thinking thats enough, but a bit of oil on the bottom end from an oilchange is still enough to complain for them...

But I finally passed.

The GTR is now fully legal, all mods are registered, 400Hp, Xenon lights... All legal :dopey:

So in the next days, weeks, there will be pics, vids and soundfile 👍👍

This ...

Ordered some new ones, wanted Pirelli's ZeroNero, but they had a massive delay. So I took GY Eagle F1. They were also cheaper and can be mounted on Monday 👍

Next week it should be homologated

I have GY Eagle F1 tires on my Sti (245/40/18) and I have no complaints about them as daily driver tires. 👍
Good luck and have fun with the "new" ride! :cheers:

I have GY Eagle F1 tires on my Sti (245/40/18) and I have no complaints about them as daily driver tires. 👍
Quoting because I also have those tires and they're pretty alright.

Quoting the quote 'coz I too have them on my Max and so far don't have too many complaints. Pretty good grip (not as good as the RE002s I had) and have good wear. They're also quite good in the wet.

Quoting the quote 'coz I too have them on my Max and so far don't have too many complaints. Pretty good grip (not as good as the RE002s I had) and have good wear. They're also quite good in the wet.

Quote inception :lol: Yeah pretty solid tire. I had them once when they came out around 2002ish and the first gen was not great in the wear departement.
But grip is good in dry and wet 👍
Going to see how long they last...

And now here is a video with sound that is a lot better as I didn't rely on the gopro for sound...

Turn up your speakers a good notch and enjoy...

SVX
Your roads feel so similar to ours, it's crazy.

Would never thaught that. But then I never visited NZ (yet). Once in my lifetime I need a trip to that part of the world and visit all that amazing places

Finally on the road, congratulations man! Sounds great too! Looking forward to the family portrait :D

Thanks, yeah took a while, sadly.
This is the best family shot atm I have. The S is sitting collecting dust. I will register it end of august. And weather has been pretty dim here the last weeks :(
20150522_213604.jpg
20150523_114927.jpg

But it starts to get warmer again now, so as soon as the sun hits full throttle, I get all 3 out for a good wash and pics ;)

The GTR is so nice to drive:drool:. Had my first little tail out on a hair pin yesterday. Men was it fun. But I am heavily retaining myself. Still need to get a better feel for the car. But it handles so tightly.

20150721_193803.jpg

Latest Posts

Back