• 31 comments

MUSC4EVER

The story continues....
Premium
Wales
wrexham
jameskent86451
Jamobomb86
This is a thread of the upcoming Cricket World Cup which starts this Saturday (or Friday depending where you are...), here are the two groups

Group A

England
Australia
Sri Lanka
Bangladesh
New Zealand
Afghanistan
Scotland

Group B

South Africa
India
Pakistan
West Indies
Zimbabwe
Ireland
United Arab Emirates

Teams will play each other once, top four qualify for the Quarter Finals, then there's the Semis and the Final, tournament is held jointly in Australia and New Zealand with the opening game being New Zealand v Sri Lanka, tournament lasts for 44 days....

Ugh, coverage times are terrible here. Nothing later than 5am. Looking at that pool, I think we (SA) have quite a genuine chance, it's a well balanced pool, not too easy and not too difficult.

Tournament starts tonight/tomorrow (depends where you are), New Zealand v Sri Lanka and Australia v England the opening games..

England got a beating off Australia this morning lost by 111 runs :indiff:

New Zealand beat Sri Lanka by 92 runs in the other game

I watched West Indies play England in test matches in 2 consecutive series. A draw in Barbados followed by an England win in Chester Le Street (i think, it was 6 years ago). The thing I remember most was Sulieman Ben choosing to eat at our barbecue in the tea break instead of in the pavilion with the teams.
Still haven't really been following the ODI world cup, was just talking international cricket in general. Maybe the world cup excitement will pick up soon.

World Cup Pool A, Dunedin:
New Zealand: 146-7 (24.5 overs)
Williamson 38, Davey 3-40
Scotland: 142 (36.2 overs) Machan 56, Anderson 3-18
New Zealand won by three wickets

Test Match Special scorer Andrew Samson
"Scotland equalled the world record for four first-ball ducks in an ODI innings. The others were Pakistan against England at The Oval, 2003 and Sri Lanka against Pakistan in Jamshedpur, 1999."

Last edited:
The latest result:
Pool A, Wellington Regional
New Zealand: 125-2 (12.2 overs) McCullum 77, Southee 7-33
England: 123 (33.2 overs) Root 46, Woakes 2-8

McCullum sets a new record for the fastest 50 in World Cup history, taking it off just 18, and Southee became the best ever New Zealand bowler in a World Cup with his 7

Yay New Zealand! :sly:

The latest result:

McCullum sets a new record for the fastest 50 in World Cup history, taking it off just 18, and Southee became the best ever New Zealand bowler in a World Cup with his 7

I wouldn't use our toilet of an outfit as a benchmark:irked::lol: New Zealand in theory do look strong in all departments, quite the contrast infact.:rolleyes:

The latest result:

From BBC Sport.
Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott says England were "slaughtered" in theirhumiliating eight-wicket defeat by New Zealand at the Cricket World Cup.

Tim Southee's 7-33 helped skittle England for just 123, with the last seven wickets falling for 19 runs, before Brendon McCullum smashed an 18-ball half-century, the fastest in World Cup history, to propel New Zealand to their target in just 12.2 overs.

Boycott says England caused their own downfall with "a really poor performance", which he ranks as "one of England's worst days ever in one-day cricket"

I turned on a stream around 12:30 am local expecting to be able to watch a nice chase to the mid-200's or so, and got a quick run through the last 20 odd just after lunch. Not quite the early morning cricket I was expecting to watch:lol:

@tezgm99 I would expect very drunk :lol:

And then SA destroyed WI....I guess de Villiers was annoyed that Gayle got the headlines the other day :lol:

Edit: so much hype and it's been a bit one-sided as NZ are crushing my boys so far.

Last edited:
Shaking right now after the New Zealand vs Australia match:

Pool A, Eden Park
New Zealand: 152-9(23.1 overs) McCullum 50, Boult 5-27
Australia: 151(32.2 overs) Haddin 43, Starc 6-28

Mitchell Starc nearly broke the back of New Zealand. I just don't even know what to say. I was an incredible match! Just WOW! :bowdown: Simply incredible! :bowdown:

Was Shane Warne just gloating on commentary about how he loves cheating at golf? I'm not trying to stir accusations here, just checking that I actually heard that?

England somehow managed to lose this morning to Sri Lanka despite setting them a big target of 310, but Sri Lanka managed that in 47.2 overs!

Australia just beat Sri Lanka by 64 runs tonight.
Australia: 376/9 (50)
Sri Lanka: 312/9 (46.2)

Very good match, sadly I didn't get to watch all of it.

Wasn't really a shock tbh, England have been a shambles for a while now, I only hope that this is the kick up the backside that they need to get things right...

England prepared specially for this World Cup and moved things around in their schedule so they had nearly six months to prepare for it, seems like a waste of time now!

Fantastic game between New Zealand and the West Indies in Quarterfinal 4.

Quarterfinal 4, Wellington Regional Stadium, Wellington, NZ
New Zealand: 393/6 (50) Guptil 237, Boult 4-44
Windies: 250 all out (30.3) Gayle 61, Taylor 3-71

I was honestly speechless with the New Zealand innings. Absolutely cray-cray. There aren't enough superlatives I can throw at it!

Now that's a big score. Did it break any records?

Yeah, first Blackcap to make the double ton, and highest individual score in the World Cup beating Chris Gayle's 215. Other records, like the most sixes in a World Cup knockout match were set. Guptil also became the second person ever to get a six up on the roof of the stadium with a huge 110-metre knock.

Back