I'd have done it too, if not for those meddling kids!

  • Thread starter Thread starter Alaneye
  • 66 comments
  • 3,840 views
Great thread.... I suspect that if my dad were still here(R.I.P.) We would have a go at it now and then.... Of course I would win :D
He is the main reason I am into cars/ racing.............
Glad to know all of you fathers are spending quality time with your kids, it seems there isnt nearly enough of that these days......
 
My four-year-old can't play GT4 worth a darn.

What's scary is that he's getting good at Mario Kart Double Dash. He can come in somewhere between 2nd and 4th place around 50% of the time he plays. As long as he concentrates, he does pretty well.

By the time he's 6, he'll be whupping my butt.

Some people might think that it's not quite right for my son to be playing games so young. Well, I'm a game programmer for a living, so it's kind of natural. Plus, those same people tend to have their kids enrolled in violin or ballet... not much of a difference to my opinion, other than I'm playing with my son, instead of pressuring him to succeed. :)
 
Alaneye
Hmmm, that's funny because my son has been having trouble with the medium and hard rallys while I have finished all the special condition races. I'll challenge him to a rally next time ;)
Alan
its obvious isnt it? us older players are better drifters! :p

I have a daughter of 14 who is into motorsports butnot gt4... thankfully! :)
 
ving
its obvious isnt it? us older players are better drifters! :p

I have a daughter of 14 who is into motorsports butnot gt4... thankfully! :)
it would be better if she was into gt4 as well... lol
 
"He sits down and 3 laps later he beats it by about 3 seconds.

I am humiliated....again. "


Noob! ;)
 
I'm 47 and the problem in my house is that my son keeps moaning about me hogging the TV set ;-) playing video games. We now have 2 x PS/2s (old early model upstairs in his bedroom connected to a 15" TV) and a slimline downstairs connected to a 42" plasma. I really do not understand children these days. :-)))))
 
StevenDunn99
I'm 47 and the problem in my house is that my son keeps moaning about me hogging the TV set ;-) playing video games.


Same here! But it is my wife the one who complains.... she even 'books' the tv in advance. :)
 
StevenDunn99
I'm 47 and the problem in my house is that my son keeps moaning about me hogging the TV set ;-) playing video games. We now have 2 x PS/2s (old early model upstairs in his bedroom connected to a 15" TV) and a slimline downstairs connected to a 42" plasma. I really do not understand children these days. :-)))))

Tell your son, Hey you, be more appreciative, I bought the TV and the house its in.
You should be thankful, I know a poor person in GTplanet who has knowone to race with... his name is slick rick and i am going to donate some money to his new club! :rolleyes: :p
 
Slick Rick
Tell your son, Hey you, be more appreciative, I bought the TV and the house its in.
You should be thankful, I know a poor person in GTplanet who has knowone to race with... his name is slick rick and i am going to donate some money to his new club! :rolleyes: :p


HA HA HA, Nice one slick rick. Just out of curiosity though what exactly will the money go towards? im sort of in the same boat as u as my gf lives in a different country. Whats the name of the new club? May i be the first to join? , If only GT4 was online :(
 
Benjii
HA HA HA, Nice one slick rick. Just out of curiosity though what exactly will the money go towards? im sort of in the same boat as u as my gf lives in a different country. Whats the name of the new club? May i be the first to join? , If only GT4 was online :(

Lets just say it will go to a good cause :p

Anyway lets keep to topic. If you want to talk, benjii you should send me a PM or talk in the conversation thread becase Duke had a word to me about spamming and this could lead in that direction
 
Slick Rick
Lets just say it will go to a good cause :p

Anyway lets keep to topic. If you want to talk, benjii you should send me a PM or talk in the conversation thread becase Duke had a word to me about spamming and this could lead in that direction

Opps sorry. :)
 
Nah its not you, everyone does it even more if its someone you get on with. We just have to be careful when we post
 
Slick Rick
Nah its not you, everyone does it even more if its someone you get on with. We just have to be careful when we post

Ok Matey, Thanks for the warning
 
h0ss
Some people might think that it's not quite right for my son to be playing games so young. Well, I'm a game programmer for a living, so it's kind of natural. Plus, those same people tend to have their kids enrolled in violin or ballet... not much of a difference to my opinion, other than I'm playing with my son, instead of pressuring him to succeed. :)

Since it's a proven fact that video games improve hand/eye coordination, I have no problem with my son playing.

There's also the fact that the same folk who tend to frown disapprovingly, are the same folk who have no problem with kids sitting watching TV. (Of course, my mother-in-law thinks that about anyone who plays video games. But stewing in your own filth is fine, so long as you're passively watching TV.)
 
I have no problem with kids playing video games or watching TV. What I have a problem with is parents using either as a nanny. Kids don't need to spend every free moment glued to the TV... that sets an unhealty habit for later in life.
 
Wow this forum is really nice! 👍 I wish my dad will play GT4 with me :guilty: All he does is go to work and when he comes back, drinks beer here at home about 3 tall boys (Miller Light by the way) and watch his spanish shows (novelas) he's not much into the new style of playing video games, prolly the closest thing he would like to do is play dominos (doubles and such). We get along very well doh and he is an awesome dad but just nver plays games with me. But i would like for him to play some PS2 games, any at least but o well. If your a son and ur father plays GT4 with u, dang i tell u now, u should be happy because i dont get the feeling ever.
 
some people have problems keeping up with progressing technology... nothing you can do about it. :/
 
Supren
All he does is go to work and when he comes back, drinks beer here at home about 3 tall boys (Miller Light by the way) and watch his spanish shows (novelas) he's not much into the new style of playing video games,.


Dude, you gotta get the FIFA games and tell him "Hey Dad, I thought you said xxx was a good team, look at how I trash them!" Where xxx would be his favourite latin american team :-)

If he is like most latin americans he once dreamed of playing at the world cup (just like most americans dream of playing a world series or a superbowl when they are young).

So he may either join you in the game to show you how good his team really is or he'll smack you in the back of the head for trash talking his team... is a risk you gotta take! :)
 
LoL thx guys, but euh, SOCCER omg, nvm that try i nver liked soccer and mostly likly never will, hopefully never. Out of all the games "Soccer" lol but i see y u say that game and i dont have to tell u y. I don't wanna spend 30-40$ on a game i wont enjoy. I'd rather play dominos with him. Thx for the idea doh :)
 
oxide
Glad to see that there are plenty of us oldies on here, I'm 48 myself, bought the game myself, so my lads have to ask me if they want to play it :)


aw your so mean...
 
Awesome 👍 to the original poster. My dad gets annoyed that I spent so much time on the WRS (I strongly recommend that you join it, like Kolyana suggested) but he likes to race against me 2 player style. I must admit, I usually have to take a slower car for it to be even :)
 
and I got dad who hates all technology, once, when I was kid, He smashed my NES system all over at wall, and always keep complainin' how I play video games, thankfully, I live with my own son (5 months) and wife, and I try to teach GT series to both of them, it's quite fun to challenge family members, and of course, pals :)

I must say that it's good thing to hear that there is dad's like you "oldies" (how someone called himself)

GT series have teached almost everything about cars what I know (I do tune my own cars too)

Sorry my bad english

Sami
 
Touring Mars
:lol: I heard somewhere that kids (these days) have learned how to play console-based games from such an early age, the muscles in their hands, and neural pathways in their brains are actually different to 'grown-ups', making them biologically superior at computer games... that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

The ghost race idea is a great one 👍 ... not least because 2-player races can get quite dirty.... my only advice is to find a circuit or two and a car or two that you really like, and practice like hell, and then pretend it was a spur of the moment selection... :sly: Good luck...

Sigged. :D
 
Been away due to a personal tragedy, but checked out this thread when I got back. I've not played GT4 for a few weeks now, but I dare say I will get to it again in a while.

For all those dads out there with young children playing video games, enjoy the feeling of superiority while you can, it won't last long ;)
Alan
 
Chris Criswell
"He sits down and 3 laps later he beats it by about 3 seconds.

I am humiliated....again. "


Noob! ;)

:) If only it were that simple ;)
Alan
 
WOW, that sounds sooooo great. I can hardly wait till my son is old enough to play GT4 and woop my A$$ :nervous: . It's still al long wait cause he's only 8 months now :grumpy: .
The box says he'll be able to play when he's 3 (!!!!!) How's that, isn't that a strange rating?
 
Hey alan. Whenever I race the ghost I always get messed up because I have this mental complex about hitting the car and watching the car. Also I take it personally when i get beaten or passed by something that is innanimate like a recorded car that is endlessly looping yet still beats me. Make sure u race without the ghost on the track.

One other thing is this. It sounds like you might be driving too aggressively. Try driving more conservatively. What I mean is this. First, you drive really conservatively where you go through at least once going at a speed wher e you NEVER lose grip and are always going through each turn at a speed that you can control completely. Then you slowly build up how fast you can go until you here screeching tires on every turn. The screeching of the tires is the main tell tale sign that you are at the breaking point of losing traction.

Learn what gear you have to be in for each turn and this will make planning easier. (for example. i think that turn is a 2nd gear turn or. hmm thats a real slow turn that will be a first gear turn. or i realy need to take that turn at 3rd gear.)

only thing after that is to race with the computer and copy his lines. once you copy their lines you can improve on them because usually they are pretty sucky and TOO conservative. and lots of the courses have corners where you can cheat and go faster by just going on the grass ;) !
 
Alaneye
The lap time is 1.31.841 (arcade mode, no alterations apart from soft tyres), if anyone is interested. Dunno how good that is in the whole scheme of things
Alan



I see your son's 1.31.841 and raise him a 1.29.408. that was after about 4 laps. I didn't want to spend much time one it, I just wanted to see if I could beat it. 1st lap, pretty messy, 2nd lap making progress but messed up a little. 3rd lap beat your son's time and still messed up a whole bunch. 4th lap got the 1.29.408 and stopped. I could dip into 1.28.xxx if I tried enough, but I'm also watching F1 qualifying.













rock. :cool:
 
Back