Idea - How to solve GT Car Sounds

• Thread starter CalhauGTi
  • 79 comments
Portugal
Portugal
calhauduro
Today I had an idea.
As we all know, Gran Turismo Series has some problems, but there is one that stands out: car sounds.
I think that can be solved easily (at least in my mind).
We know that there are some games which have good car sounds.
Is there any problem in Kaz paying for the rights of those sounds?
Imagine that I have a racing game.
Can I have rights on my car sounds?
It would be great: it would save some time for PD, other racing games would have more profit, and we, GT fans, would race with that car that we like, with a proper sound.
It would be awesome to race in GT Sport with the Z4 GT3 (featured in GT6) with the PCars' Z4 sound (for example)...

I don't see why this kind of cooperation doesn't work between PD and Evolution Studios (yes, I know they're closed), but hey this is just PD being PD :lol:

I have a better solution for the sounds:

1 - Fire eveyone on the sound team and everyone in the company who thinks the current sounds are ok.
2 - Throw away every single sound file they have and record everything again from scratch.
3 - Use a conventional and proven method to create the samples (because AES or whatever crap they're trying to do clearly isn't working)

Maybe PD should use FMOD like many other racing games
But i think this will not happen because PD are working on their own sound engine

Last edited:
I have a better solution for the sounds:

1 - Fire eveyone on the sound team and everyone in the company who thinks the current sounds are ok.
2 - Throw away every single sound file they have and record everything again from scratch.
3 - Use a conventional and proven method to create the samples (because AES or whatever crap they're trying to do clearly isn't working)
This is not the sample the problem, it s how you place the change note at different situations
I saw the making off of the DiRT games, they explain how they do

Yeah this ain't going to happen. The only company they could get sounds or any work from would be an independent third party (AKA outsourcing), they aren't going to get anything from their competition.

...Since I have no evidence to back it up, this is a pure conjecture, but I'd think any mechanical noise made by a car could very well be copyrighted by the respective manufacturer nowadays, what with all the sound engineers employed by them to make exhaust notes more pleasing to hear.

Or, I could be talking out of my rear end. Either way, I feel that GT's woeful sounds aren't from the lack of trying.

Not sure anyone can clarify this, though - wonder what happened to all the Driveclub assets now, that the Evolution have closed down. The studio was a subsidiary of Sony, so a part of me makes me believe the data captured might reside in a hard drive stored in some nondescript warehouse in downtown Tokyo or wherever Sony's HQ is situated in.

Couldn't PDI wrangle some sort of agreement with the relevant parties to, you know, put them to good use?

Just a thought.

...Since I have no evidence to back it up, this is a pure conjecture, but I'd think any mechanical noise made by a car could very well be copyrighted by the respective manufacturer nowadays, what with all the sound engineers employed by them to make exhaust notes more pleasing to hear.

Or, I could be talking out of my rear end. Either way, I feel that GT's woeful sounds aren't from the lack of trying.

Afraid so. The design of cars is also protected as copyright and with design patents, that is why PD has to license them, and they license all facets of the car. It is in the car makers best interests for the cars to sound as close as possible to reality in a game.

Not sure anyone can clarify this, though - wonder what happened to all the Driveclub assets now, that the Evolution have closed down. The studio was a subsidiary of Sony, so a part of me makes me believe the data captured might reside in a hard drive stored in some nondescript warehouse in downtown Tokyo or wherever Sony's HQ is situated in.

Couldn't PDI wrangle some sort of agreement with the relevant parties to, you know, put them to good use?

Just a thought.

Even if they could, pride would likely get in the way. PD want to do everything in house, by themselves.

Yup. The sounds sound pretty good on my system, that's why I find I find it strange when others saying how bad it is on theirs.

Do you not find it stranger that Kaz himself acknowledges the 'pretty good' sounds are in fact, not?

http://pitstop.gran-turismo.com/en/article/26

Of course I myself am not satisfied with the sound in Gran Turismo, and to the players out there I can only say, uum, I’m really sorry.

Meh. All I know is the sounds sound damn good on my system.
Granted I haven't played any GTs in quite a while but I agree that I've never had any complaints with the sound running through my receiver. Through the TV, sure but the TV is for pretty pictures, not quality audio.

TB
Granted I haven't played any GTs in quite a while but I agree that I've never had any complaints with the sound running through my receiver. Through the TV, sure but the TV is for pretty pictures, not quality audio.

Thank you.

I rest my case m'lud.

Thank you.

I rest my case m'lud.

And what case would that be? That multi-channel (or even stereo) produces a better quality sound signature on a dedicated device, as opposed to onboard TV speakers? Or was your case more along the lines of the poorly recorded/mixed samples in Gran Turismo are somehow solved with that same dedicated device?

I'm willing to bet it's the latter, you know, considering the thread you're in, the OP, and this:

How about getting a good audio/surround sound system?

And what case would that be? That multi-channel (or even stereo) produces a better quality sound signature on a dedicated device, as opposed to onboard TV speakers? Or was your case more along the lines of the poorly recorded/mixed samples in Gran Turismo are somehow solved with that same dedicated device?

I'm willing to bet it's the latter, you know, considering the thread you're in, the OP, and this:

1. Get a good HD TV
2. Get a good audio sound system.
Problem solved. Thank me later.

1. Get a good HD TV

Really, is that all there is to it? Wow. This explains why they went through the trouble of acquiring Mike Caviezel, the ex-Audio Lead for Forza Motorsport – just to tell everyone to get "a good HDTV" and a "good audio sound system."

Smashing. In serious news, audio does not work that way. The source does not change when a "good audio sound system" is introduced.

How about getting a good audio/surround sound system?
Wow, the "just get better audio equipment" response?

what_year_is_it.jpg

1. Get a good HD TV

Great. You should let Kazunori Yamauchi, creator of the game know this. He's not happy with the sounds either, but apparently he doesn't need to fix it in the game, just get some good equipment.

Do you not find it stranger that Kaz himself acknowledges the 'pretty good' sounds are in fact, not?

http://pitstop.gran-turismo.com/en/article/26

Of course I myself am not satisfied with the sound in Gran Turismo, and to the players out there I can only say, uum, I’m really sorry.

Meh. The fact is it's not as bad as you guys make it out to be. I've seen your comments and it's more of an exaggeration IMO. As I said, the sounds I hear sound pretty good.

Latest Posts

Back