Idea - How to solve GT Car Sounds

• Thread starter CalhauGTi
  • 79 comments
The fact is it's not as bad as you guys make it out to be.
For a lot of cars, are the sounds right? Because for the cars where they aren't even close then yes they are that bad (particularly the ones where they had the ability to correct them at least somewhat close and didn't bother), and that is a fact no matter how much money you throw at audio equipment.

1. Get a good HD TV
2. Get a good audio sound system.
Problem solved. Thank me later.

They should just jack up the price of the game by a few thousand dollars and ship every copy with an HD TV and a spanking sound system.

That'd be a great plan.

By the way, is it nice being rich enough to throw money around on random electronics gear to make otherwise poor sounds seem good? I've always thought it looked fun, but you know, the money tree in my back yard caught some bug last year and I can't seem to get it to flower.

As I said, the sounds I hear sound pretty good.

Compared to what? It's always a matter of perspective. Most people here are comparing to other modern racing games.

I think I get it. A first time to the series casual gamer(like in the 7-77 pic), may enjoy the sounds of GTS. As long as they drive a car around, that sounds somewhat like an automobile, the rest of the fun is imagining they're driving that car.

I guess it beats making sounds with one's lips.

Meh. The fact is it's not as bad as you guys make it out to be. I've seen your comments and it's more of an exaggeration IMO. As I said, the sounds I hear sound pretty good.

May I ask what is your audio system hardware ?

For audio in GT, maybe PD should try use Audio Kinetic Wwise ( Wave Works Interactive Sound Engine ).

Last edited:
Meh. The fact is it's not as bad as you guys make it out to be. I've seen your comments and it's more of an exaggeration IMO. As I said, the sounds I hear sound pretty good.
There are parts of it that are pretty good, sure. For instance, the Mazda 787B's sound sample seems to be closer to real life than that found in FM6, and the Red Bull cars (minus the X2014 Jr.) sound truly incredible IMO. But overall the sound package is pretty sub-par - quite odd for a company named after a sound effect.

How about getting a good audio/surround sound system?
Already have one.
Yup. The sounds sound pretty good on my system, that's why I find I find it strange when others saying how bad it is on theirs.
It's not strange because they really are crap. One time i loaded GT6 up, got in the Scirocco, drove half way around the track and the noise irritated me that much that i just closed the game down and couldnt be arsed to play it again untill the course maker came out. Pretty good sounds ey?
Meh. The fact is it's not as bad as you guys make it out to be.
They really are, they are not the laughing stock of the racing genre for no reason. The sound guy "Has to go back"

May I ask what is your audio system hardware ?

For audio in GT, maybe PD should try use Audio Kinetic Wwise ( Wave Works Interactive Sound Engine ).

It's a Bose 3-Speaker surround sound system. 2 front (left & Right), plus bass woofer that sits in the corner.
It's not even one of the newer ones, probably have it now for about 10 years or so, can't remember...so long now.
But it does sound pretty good. Bought it at the time when space was a criteria as didn't want to put in additional speakers around the room re wires and stuff as I had previously. The Bose still going strong yes. Turned out to be a damn good investment.

For some folks, a lot of sound and/or bass is "good sound". For others, accurate sounds qualify as "good sound". I'm going to guess that's where the confusion comes in: no amount of high-price audio equipment will make the C6 Corvette race cars sound like they're powered by anything other than the wheezy 3.8L GM V6.

Out of all the modern competition (Forza, PCARS, AC, Driveclub), I can't think of a game that sounds worse than GT (in terms of engine samples — the audio engine is actually quite good). If your own personal bar of acceptability is set low enough that GT is "good", that's fine. It's your opinion, and you're entitled to it. But it doesn't invalidate the opinions of others who believe it should improve, or that, in its current format, is unacceptable.

Yes, GT's engine sounds are possibly the worse in the biz. Tire squeal is also incredibly bad and way too loud.

Already have one.

It's not strange because they really are crap. One time i loaded GT6 up, got in the Scirocco, drove half way around the track and the noise irritated me that much that i just closed the game down and couldnt be arsed to play it again untill the course maker came out. Pretty good sounds ey?
They really are, they are not the laughing stock of the racing genre for no reason. The sound guy "Has to go back"

Gran Turismo: "The Real Scirocco Driving Simulator"

It's a Bose 3-Speaker surround sound system. 2 front (left & Right), plus bass woofer that sits in the corner.
It's not even one of the newer ones, probably have it now for about 10 years or so, can't remember...so long now.
But it does sound pretty good. Bought it at the time when space was a criteria as didn't want to put in additional speakers around the room re wires and stuff as I had previously. The Bose still going strong yes. Turned out to be a damn good investment.

I'm pretty sure when someone asks what your hardware is they're interested in more than a brand name.

"What car have you got?" "I've got a Mazda." "Uh...OK?"

Serious question David, have you actually played any other racing games that feature the same cars as GT to compare the sound differences? I can't believe you've sampled what the competition have done with sound and still believe GT sound is acceptable.

Sound is the biggest disconnect for me in GT, it always has the graphics but I'm never quite 'there' when most of cars have nothing of fury of the real engine notes.

Serious question David, have you actually played any other racing games that feature the same cars as GT to compare the sound differences? I can't believe you've sampled what the competition have done with sound and still believe GT sound is acceptable.

Sound is the biggest disconnect for me in GT, it always has the graphics but I'm never quite 'there' when most of cars have nothing of fury of the real engine notes.
Even the graphics are kinda....meh.

The GT series as a whole since GT5 has felt super sterile from a visual and sound perspective. While I'll own all the games out of habit, those two parts are definitely a turn off.

Honestly no Mekonrider. I just had been biased towards GT as I love the game.
On reflection though, although I have no real problems with GT as discussed, I do admit y'all may have a point worth considering and I actually have been since. I'm considering looking to buy one of the other racing games for PS4, maybe by the next 3 months or so if GTsport doesn't announce delivery soon.

I usually play GT, any of them at a low volume. I usually enjoy Forza, any of them with the volume up. Shift 2 had decent sounds, but I couldn't really drive the fast cars due to horrible input lag and tricky handling.

The sounds are not an absolute deal breaker on GT6, semi-racing exhaust usually sounds acceptable. The '00 Camaro Race Car makes me want to pull my hair out every time I hear it though.

Going forward GT needs to improve the sounds, and physics somewhat (accuracy doesn't =hard, Shift2 was very hard, but not accurate).

Honestly no Mekonrider. I just had been biased towards GT as I love the game.
On reflection though, although I have no real problems with GT as discussed, I do admit y'all may have a point worth considering and I actually have been since. I'm considering looking to buy one of the other racing games for PS4, maybe by the next 3 months or so if GTsport doesn't announce delivery soon.

I really can't fathom this. If you enjoy driving/racing, and you obviously do, why on earth would you limit yourself to one version? Get out there, try all of the racing games, you are sure to like most of them if you enjoy the genre. It seems bonkers to me to own a PS4 and just sit waiting for one specific racing game, when there are plenty of others out there.

WHOA up there Fella

your credibility has been totally shot down in one word,

BOSE...

"Good Audio System" and BOSE are mutually exclusive.
they have a great marketing team, but have been making well marketed, low spec rubbish for the best part of what, 30 years.

WHOA up there Fella

your credibility has been totally shot down in one word,

BOSE...

"Good Audio System" and BOSE are mutually exclusive.
they have a great marketing team, but have been making well marketed, low spec rubbish for the best part of what, 30 years.
You might need this if any BOSE fans happen to read your comment (I agree by the way:sly:):
fireSuit.jpg

To be fair to PD, they did last release a game quite a while ago!

Who knows what the final soundset for the next game will be like - maybe it'll be great (they have at least acknowledged the problem, that's half the solution).

Back to the real world: as if.

:D

Pet peeves:
-"Meh"
-People saying "The fact is, [opinion]"

which of these sounds least like a car?

Latest Posts

Back