Ideal HP for Drifting

How much power do you prefer for drifting?

• More than 350bhp

Votes: 17 18.5%
  • Power doesn't matter

Votes: 47 51.1%
  • Less than or equal to 300bhp

Votes: 28 30.4%

• Total voters
Well, I do think that 500BHP means more throttle control, so it DOES matter if your used to high power. But if your used to lower powered cars it's not difficult to drift 500BHP:) So dont get used to it! Lower BHP sometimes gives you the oportunity to just give full-throttle through most corners. 500BHP is a bit too much for that maybe....:scared:

icandriftbetter
i like more hp cuz it gives me more throttle control and it makes it easier for me to do it. jus my opinion

Ok, I need to stop this myth right here...

HP does NOT give you more throttle control... Throttle control has absolutely nothing to do with HP... The amount you are able to control the throttle is limited only by your ability to control the pedals, buttons, or analogue sticks... Now, more power might make it SEEM to you like you have more control, but it's really the relationship of the vehiucle weight, power, and tire combination that dictates how much a vehicle is going to grip/slide, thus making it easier or more difficult to utilize the throttle efficiently... Of course, the LSD also has a lot to do with how the throttle is applied to the wheels... Car setup is a lot more complicated than most people around here let on. To create a truly balanced vehicle you need to understand all these things (and more)... You can get around some of this with adjustments to your technique... However, it's best to just set up the car well in the first place, making your job easier as a driver...

Sorry, man... I'm not jumping down your throat... I'm just using your post as an example of something I have seen being said all over the GT4 drifting forum...

;)

I prefer 150-300hp machines with less that 1200kg weight.

The only exception to my rule is the Jaguar S Type R.

Inertia goodness...:drool:

ultrabeat
I prefer 150-300hp machines with less that 1200kg weight.

The only exception to my rule is the Jaguar S Type R.

Inertia goodness...:drool:

The S Type R is a fun car indeed... Looks good to boot...

;)

Heck yeah, if you don't mind the drug abuser nose...

And just noticing the poll options, I'm going to be difficult and change my answer to 301-349hp.

No more no less :D

Swift
I find that power very much DOES matter. It all depends on your style of drifting. I'm not saying every car needs to be 500hp or higher. What I'm saying is that if you have a 166hp Trueno for example, don't expet to do smokey high angle drifts. You can however take that same care, give it about 225hp and do some very impressive exhibition style drifting.

So how much power you use very much depends on your style. I'm usually in the 225-275hp range with my cars except for the rotary's that have lower torque. Those I have over 300.

I think Swift said it best. It's on PREFERENCE and IT (power) DOES MATTER. I started drifting with a stock Viper GTS with slight angles and I recently jumped into a Mazdaspeed 6 which needed settings changes and power upgrades (about 450 HP) to get it sideways. I also tried the Trueno and found myself adding boost to about 250 HP to drift. So there really is no "ideal" HP to drift with because no car is the same.

telfer
just remeber with your turbo you dont want it so big your hitting boost during mid corner instead of having the ablility to spin your wheels coming in at a low speed

Having a large laggy turbo can have its advantages and knowing the lag is just part of knowing the car.

i used to drift tha d1 drift cars (the bp falken fc rx7 and tha blitz skyline) both nearing 500hp....but now i changed to cars with less than 250 hp....i could drift tha d1 cars perfectly fine but once experimenting with less horsepowered cars i found them more predictable and controlable

HiQQory
I voted for power doesn´t matter. I have drifted the 800hp Skyline pacecar (Fully tuned) and my older ´89 Fr skyline that has about 250-300Hp and a lot of other cars with different Hp´s.

this might sound stupid but where do you get the pacecar? or how.

I like my cars as powerful as I can. The only cars that drift good for me are over 600HP. I hate driving slow and Braking to gain drift. Power Over is the one to go with !!! :sly:

i think that high HP is good in some ways and bad in other's like i use the mits galant 4-wheel drive 1980 something but anyways i use it for drifting and all i have on there is sports tiers and every thing else is stock and it drifts great!!. :cheers:

So thats my opinion about hp for drifting...

HAPPY DRIFTING...

Back