|| identti's workshop || - setups, images and reviews

• Thread starter identti
  • 17 comments

maintitle1ig.jpg

intro1py.jpg

plapstitle2ww.jpg

panotitle0qs.jpg

When the 350z was first released over two years I loved it. It had a striking shape, was great value and drove with an unusually drift-like nature. But now the 350z has lost some of its appeal due to old age. But I set out bring back its character. My 350z has had a mid-life crisis.

I bought the 350z GT4 ltd edition version as it came with a slight power advantage (from revised pistons and camshafts) and had a few nice cosmetic changes. It also came in two colours; a different tone of black and the sensational ultra yellow colour. I opted for the latter and it looks fantastic. It turns more heads than Jordan would strutting down Piccadilly Circus naked. Maybe. This is about the only part left on my machine now. The once plump machine has become bulimic, with its interior torn out, and various body panels swapped for bespoke lightweight items made from exotic materials. Then I had the whole engine overhauled and the ECU remapped. To give even more power I went for a supercharger upgrade. It gives the same feel as the normally aspirated unit with no annoying turbo lag, but delivers huge bundles of torque all across the rev range. Now almost 500 horses are sent to the rear wheels. A Ferrari F40 couldn’t beat that, and if you look at the performance on racing tyres it would out pace an Enzo. Of course the handling department wasn’t left unchanged either, with all the components being replaced.

pano11ty.jpg

First impressions are good, with barely any understeer and a positive turn in. You can exit the corners extremely fast too, as the dynamics are very neutral. As long as you hit the right lines, the car with reward you by not loosing grip and powering out of the corner with barely a hint of understeer. You do loose some of the original character with this suspension setup though, as you will no longer be hanging the tail out round every bend, the car rewarding you by making you believe you are the king of drift. But that is what you exchange for having such amazing grip and such good stability. The engine is a masterpiece, pulling hard and never feeling out of breath. The exhaust has a cultured bellow that erupts into a howl as you near the redline. However, the car never really feels like your going that fast. You accelerate down the straight, and are astonished when you glance down at the speedo to find you are travelling 20mph faster than you thought. This is no problem for the stoppers though, which shed off speed quicker than a snake shedding its skin.

The whole car is extremely quick, returning quick and consistent laps. It does feel a little hollow though, and for a slower, but arguably more fun driving experience a little more oversteer should be dialled in. But this tenacious grip is mainly due to the sticky tyres, which can be changed to a set of sports tyres for more oversteer. Of course, as this setup is for a game, and is designed for speed over customer satisfaction, the final result is still terrific and rewarding. The setup is easily modified to suit different tracks and driving styles though, but my setup was designed to deliver all round appeal.

pano27sn.jpg

If you want a quick car with striking looks, this may well be it. It is like a triathlon runner. It can excel in all areas from drifting to out and out racing.

Statistics:

Midfield lap time (on racing medium tyres): 1’10.227

Performance (racing medium tyres):
0-60, 3.2 secs (4.1 secs on sports med tyres)
0-100, 6.7 secs (8 secs on sports medium)
¼ mile, 11.1 secs (11.8 secs on sports medium)
Top speed (no change to race gearing): 203mph
Max Power: 484bhp/6400rpm
Max Torque: 516ft.lb/4800rpm
Weight: 1224kg

Parts to purchase:

Racing exhaust & air filter
Racing brakes kit
Brake balance controller
Racing Chip
Port Polish
Engine Balancing
Supercharger kit
Fully Customisable Transmission
Triple Plate Clutch
Racing Flywheel
Variable LSD
Carbon Driveshaft
Fully Customisable Suspension
Lightweight Stages 1 to 3
Increase rigidity/roll cage
Racing medium tyres
Oil change

Setup:

Suspension:
Spring rate: 12.7/13.2
Ride height: 90/95
Damper Bound: 5/7
Damper Rebound: 6/8
Camber: 2.0/1.0
Toe: -1/+1
Stabilisers: 3/4

Brake balance: 6/6

LSD:
Initial: 15
Accel: 32
Deccel: 12

Driving Aids: 0/0/0

---------------------------------------

Whaddya think of it?

...Nice start, but why did you start this to copy BESTuners / BESTesters? Any ways, nice shots, maybe after a while, I'll let you try to be in BESTuners again...AND this belongs more to the tuning foum...Just like BESTuners and stuff...

identti
Whaddya think of it?
I think it should be in the settings & tuning forum

ekmatt9
AND this belongs more to the tuning foum...Just like BESTuners and stuff...
So why are they in the GT4 Photo & Video Galleries too?

daan
So why are they in the GT4 Photo & Video Galleries too?
Good question.

I think the BESTesters / BESTuners Galleries could be either in the Race Reports forum, this forum, or the Photo forum. :indiff:

But crap, it's kinda dumb to make a knockoff of BESTuners and only let yourself participate. It leaves out the "variety" factor. If Identti really wants in, then let him in. His reports and pics are as good as anyone else's reports and pics, anyway.

Ok daan. But why hasn't BESTuners been moved.

ekmatt9- i started this not to copy bestuners but to make my own version, but mine is only going to be done by one member - me. Think of it as a more exclusive, but less popular version like EVO magazine is compared to TopGear. I also thought i would change my presentation from BESTuners to use more images for a more modern look.

A very quick comment on the subject from me (other than to say - nice report).

I do hope that this does not turn into some kind of p**sing contest between members.

Plenty of people have posted threads on various tunes, reports and pictures, so I don't think that any one person can or should try and claim ownership.

GTP has more that enough members and space to allow individual expression of tuning, write-ups and galleries.

This will be my first, last and ONLY comment on this subject.

Regards

Scaff

identti
...Think of it as a more exclusive...
Nothing as exclusive as BESTuners... :sly:
identti
I also thought i would change my presentation from BESTuners to use more images for a more modern look.
There's no limits to the amount of pics and banners you can have in BESTuners. I can post a report with 70 pics and 15 banners and no one would really care (except for the 56kers).

Also, is that garage in the first post yours?

Duck - that is a garage but not mine - its owned by nemesis performance. When i said more pictures i meant for the layout on the first post.

Scaff- thanks for the understanding - i don't want to argue about who's thing is better etc.. beacuse each one is different and individual. I originally wanted to create a monthly ezine, but it would be to expensive (to buy adobe acrobat) and too time consuming, so i settled for this.

Are there any comments acually about the report?

identti
but it would be to expensive (to buy adobe acrobat) and too time consuming, so i settled for this.

Are there any comments acually about the report?

Don't bother with full blown acrobat, I use .pdf995 (got www.pdf995.com) simple to install and free, it allows you to produce the document in word and then 'print' it as a .pdf file. Very easy and very cool.

In regard to the report, I did say inmy last post that it was good, have not had a chance to try the setting, you will hjave to give me time for that. :)

Regards

Scaff

Eh, what ever, I'm over. I was mad at the time. I think BESTuners should be in Tuning Forum and BESTesters should be in the Race Reports...

Yep what matt said was right but no one seems to make any comments acutally relating to the settings or article. Oh well...

I thought it was a good read but what do you want to do, review a car or tune it? Trying to give an objective review of your own product might be a bit of a waste of time really because you are just satisfying yourself. Maybe giving more insight into your adjustments, why you did them and the results bearing in mind your initial goals for the tune and whether the car meets your goals might be a good idea.

I agree with you about some of the setups Ive seen on here. A lot are lacking focus because there is no solid objective in the tune beyond 'make it faster'. I might have to start my own thread to share my findings too :)

keep up the good work!

@ zefff - Hmm... that's a good idea. I might have to try that out on one of my reports. :mischievous:

@ identti - I guess I never even commented on the report itself. Shame on me. :guilty:
It's nice. Your choice of metaphors and similies work well. 👍 👍

No way I thought of it first!!! :lol:

TBH I have followed your tuning thread Duck and it is very interesting to me who is a GT4 tuning nut. Your own setups are very tame compared to mine though and you use a lot more driver aids. I would like to know more about your initial objectives too so I can understand what you are trying to achieve. :)

But this is identti's thread and I look forward to more of his ideas. I am actually going to compare some of his setups with yours and my own and my friends to hopefully make mine better! :lol:

Well done identti! I really like the graphic style too 👍

Thanks for all the comments. I will try and say why i changed things in the next report i do. That may be in a while though, as i'm doing exams at the moment.

I try to keep my setups sharp and neutrally balanced without the use of driving aids.

Back