If GT5 released in 2008

  • Thread starter Thread starter danthespaceman
  • 62 comments
  • 5,349 views
Messages
193
With the wait for Gran Turismo 5 now at 5 years, I've been thinking about how PD may have tried to do too many things in one release. Don't get me wrong, GT5 will be revolutionary and well worth the wait, but what would have been the harm in creating something a little less ambitious that was more of an evolutionary step?

In my opinion GT4 was a very complete game in the sense that is was packed full of tracks and cars. Obviously there were a lot of features missing like interior view, damage, and other things but the overall gaming experience was very satisfactory who took their time to really explore the world of GT mode.

My question is, would you have been satisfied had PD released Gran Turismo 5 in 2008 as a polished HD version of GT4, maybe along with the cars and tracks featured Prologue but minus interior views, damage, head tracking etc..

I'm not exactly sure such a feat would even been possible in terms of development time, but my point is that if had been, I would have gladly taken taken a GT5 light on features but heavy in content years ago.
 
I kind of agree and disagree. I agree that the time spent on GT5 is now far too long. I am not sure how much you can add to a game via DLC but the option is there now whereas with the PS2 and PS1 it wasn't so the disc had to contain the whole game. Maybe PD could have added bits every now and then, try bits out to see what works and then put all the good bits together with some extras to make GT6.

My worst nightmare for GT5 is just GT4 with better graphics and a new physics engine, I'm hoping it includes much more. The problem is the longer we wait, the more we expect and I'm keeping my fingers crossed GT5 delivers.
 
With the wait for Gran Turismo 5...

...a GT5 light on features but heavy in content years ago.

There was a thing they we're mentioning, it would have over 100 cars, a limited tuning option, would be a little light on features, have a basic online mode and have a small selection of tracks. It's ashame PD didn't release it.

I'm sure they would have sold millions copies of it by now.

In fact, it would have been a great idea to call it GT5 Prologue.
 
Tell Sony not to make complicated new consoles and there won't be such delays. The irony that the same people who made the PS1 created something so opposite as the PS3.

Other than that, its pretty clear the new physics models they have developed are far ahead of the GT4 physics model. So, no, I wouldn't be happy having it earlier if it was just the old physics with better graphics and other tweaks. I'd rather have full new games with some thought, time and effort put into them, regardless of how long it ends up taking.
As we step towards the next generation of consoles, development time for all games will only increase as we can create more and more complex graphics and incorporate more and more technology into the games industry, like motion controls, 3D, etc. So its either develop a slightly cruder version of GT for a smaller development time or keep the perfection...which is arguably the reason GT is so successful in the first place.

No doubt the same people whining about release dates would also complain about the lack of damage, no skid marks, no reverse lights, rubbish trees....that would come with an updated GT4.
 
Last edited:
I would rather have them give us more tracks than cars
Can't they just focus on the cars people actually would want to race around a track?
Maybe ditch all the economy cars and give us Le mans, Forumla 1 and Porsche instead
 
This is a good question. I find myself in two minds. I think 5 years waiting is too long, and the longer we wait the great the expectations we'll have. But on the flip side I don't like the idea of a GT5 "lite" version. Each game has got to be an improvement over the last, other wise PD aren't moving forward.

I suspect Forza 3 is partly to blame for the delay in GT5. They saw what Turn 10 did, and thought they'd delay it a bit longer just to make it that little bit better. I don't blame PD for doing that (if that's the case), but you need to release your game at some point.

Maybe in hindsight PD should have made Prologue that little bit bigger to fill the void. But at the time they must have thought GT5 would have been out by now. It's hard to say.
 
Maybe ditch all the economy cars and give us Le mans, Forumla 1 and Porsche instead

The more variety of car to take out on the track the better. In fact, with millions of people who buy this game, not everyone is going to like a limited selection of cars. For instance, are you going to enjoy driving a 93 Civic? Probably not. But I am going to have an absolute BLAST
 
I don't think its been too long at all.

GTHD was supposed to be the new game but that was scrapped. This big development cycle, which mirrors the jump in hardware from the PS2 to the PS3, would have to have been done sooner or later. You see other lazy developers who just ported the PS2 versions of the game up early in the PS3 cycle, and thats pretty much what PD were going to do for GTHD.

But that game would still have taken around 3-4 years to develop to finish it even without the new features. The extra 1-2 years in GT5's development has allowed for improvements across the entire game, not just extra features such as damage, head tracking etc.

I'm grateful, because as stated in an interview, GT5 is like a new operating system, and GT6 will be a newer version of said operating system with extra features, but largely based on the code from the previous incarnation. So development time will be short.

If i had gotten a GTPSP with GTHD style graphics in 2008, which would have been quite possible, most people would have been very disappointed.
 
There was a thing they we're mentioning, it would have over 100 cars, a limited tuning option, would be a little light on features, have a basic online mode and have a small selection of tracks. It's ashame PD didn't release it.

I'm sure they would have sold millions copies of it by now.

In fact, it would have been a great idea to call it GT5 Prologue.

'light in features' wasn't the best choice of words. Sorry.

I guess what I was trying to refer to wasn't so much a stripped down version of the GT5 we know is coming, but rather a modest evolution of GT4 that was more complete in both car and track count, in PS3 HD beauty.

This would leave GT6 to introduce a ton of new features; Damage, Interior view, NASCAR, WRC, Head Tracking in 2010.

Anyway, it was just a thought to pass time before we hear some real news. I really don't have an issue with waiting now that we've waited this long. This game will be great!
 
For me, If GT5 released in 2008, it would of been a flop. Because it would feel like a incomplete game... BUT I am sure they would have lots of add-ons and patches to bring Damage, weather, day night cycles to the table. So you never know.

2008, now its 2010, Hmm I could be half impressed with it maybe. Because I would of been playing for over 1 and half years now.
 
:D This is not a fair question my friend, if you asked me the same question in 2008, I would probably have answered: Yes, give me GT now! But we have waited so long to have a GT5, and this is what we're gonna get. The evolution from GT4 will be present on every area and feature of the game. (Damage, Cockpit View ), and you can make a analysis of the evolution of the series:

GT1 - Few cars, few tracks
GT2 - Evolution of GT1 : Lots of cars, Good number of tracks
GT3 - New console, new graphic engine, new physics resulting few cars and few tracks
GT4 - Evo of GT3: Lots of cars, Lots of tracks

GT5 - New console, new cell processor multicore programming, new physics model, damage model, interior view, bigger attention to details. Lots of cars, Good number of tracks ( as we know by now ).

Conclusion: We're not getting GT5, we will get GT6 renamed to GT5. :D
 
I would have rather have GT5 released in 2008. By now, we would be getting GT6, since KY knows perfectly that they only would have had to improve on what was already there, like GT2 with GT1 and GT4 with GT3. In fact, if a GT6 is released on the PS3, I'm guessing it would be very similar to GT5, with a few more things here and there.

Personally, an improved GT4 would have kept me happy, to be honest. Only more cars (around 50), tracks (around 5 if possible), newer physics engine, reverse lights, and I would be happy.
 
I think the GT4 HD thing would have been a massive mistake.

If PD were to release a substantial content update to GT5P or give us an online/full version of the CES demo I think it could (sadly) hold many of us over until late summer/fall when GT5 comes out (maybe?) and we wouldn't be sitting here eating the furniture to keep from starving.

Instead we're left desperate and alone in the bitter cold of winter (figuratively speaking for people in like Spain and Miami..) The TT demo was no consolation.
 
Last edited:
I suspect Forza 3 is partly to blame for the delay in GT5. .

It was also the other way around. It was painfully obvious that MS forced T10 to release Forza 3 in it's rough state to get it out before GT5 in December (At the time that was it's most speculated release date).

I bet T10 are pissed off that GT5 is delayed. They could have spent a bit longer on Forza 3 (Wich it needed badly).
 
I bet T10 are pissed off that GT5 is delayed. They could have spent a bit longer on Forza 3 (Wich it needed badly).

I don't think so. Those who don't have a PS3 nor a Xbox 360 are likely to buy a Xbox 360 just because Forza 3 is already released. I convinced a friend of mine to buy a PS3 and play GT5:Prologue, even if that's not what I would do. All of that simply because of the fact that GT5 will not disappoint, and I'm sure of that. However, don't expect me to buy a PS3 now just to play a demo.

Unless T10 or MS confirms it, all of that "they wanted the game released before GT5" is just especulation.
Anyways, I don't understand what purpose does this thread have now that I pay attention. This is a "what if" that hasn't happened, and cannot happen simply because we are in 2010. Me thinks some of you guys make threads just for the sake of it.
 
GT5 takes 5 years. Does GT6 take 6 years.

Aaarrrrggghh.
 
I don't think so.

Yea neither do I. I think their school of thought is "the less we give them, they more they pay for later." Milkin' the DLC :cool:
 
GT5 takes 5 years. Does GT6 take 6 years.

Aaarrrrggghh.

No, the engine and foundations for the next gen of GT are going to be laid down with GT5. GT6 should follow the typical 2-3 year title-to-title timeframe that GT2, 3 and 4 followed.

*edit* sorry for double post
 
Last edited:
Yea neither do I. I think their school of thought is "the less we give them, they more they pay for later." Milkin' the DLC :cool:

Exactly. 👍

No, the engine and foundations for the next gen of GT are going to be laid down with GT5. GT6 should follow the typical 2-3 year title-to-title timeframe that GT2, 3 and 4 followed.

And exactly again, though I believe it will take even less, probably a year and a half. It also depends on whether Kaz feels like working. After so much time, he really needs a rest.
 
Yea neither do I. I think their school of thought is "the less we give them, they more they pay for later." Milkin' the DLC :cool:

Your quite right on that. PD's original Japanese launch could be regarded as the same tactics too. Many members on this forum were prepared to stump up the cash for an import, only to buy exactly the same content again when released in their region.
I'm not having ago at people who are prepared to pay twice because they have endured a long wait.
I would wait for my own region personally.
 
It also depends on whether Kaz feels like working. After so much time, he really needs a rest.

I worry about that guy. He's said in an interview before that he's almost given up and quit in the past because of the pressure. If he's ever been under pressure it has to be now.

I can just see the headlines.. "Polyphony Digital Director Kazunori Yamauchi Quits, Vanishes, Dan Greenawalt Steps In..."

:scared: lol
 
Honestly I think GT5 will be the last main 'BIG' Gran Turismo. The future i.e. on next-gen systems, will be modular. A platform of itself delivered to the people via PSN for the ultimate tailored experience.

I've got it all worked out in my head...have done for years.
 
I think that some of the fans asked for too much, that is why GT5 is taking so long. If we didn't go asking Kaz for all these features in a game and maybe just include a few and leave them for GT6, then the game would've taken less.
 
I think that some of the fans asked for too much, that is why GT5 is taking so long. If we didn't go asking Kaz for all these features in a game and maybe just include a few and leave them for GT6, then the game would've taken less.

I don't believe that to be true, I think that PD realized the competition was doing very well & that GT5 needed to include that little extra that the GT series has always been known for.

But hey, that's just my opinion and I can very well be wrong.
 
GT1 - Few cars, few tracks
GT2 - Evolution of GT1 : Lots of cars, Good number of tracks
GT3 - New console, new graphic engine, new physics resulting few cars and few tracks
GT4 - Evo of GT3: Lots of cars, Lots of tracks

GT5 - New console, new cell processor multicore programming, new physics model, damage model, interior view, bigger attention to details. Lots of cars, Good number of tracks ( as we know by now ).

Conclusion: We're not getting GT5, we will get GT6 renamed to GT5. :D
Precisely.

Prologue could have been GT5 with 500-600 cars, 50 tracks and a decent online system, but little else. I enjoyed the improved physics, but I wanted race modification and a livery editor/paint shop more than anything. Damage would have been nice. Weather and different times of say would have been good. A movie maker tool? An online race builder tool that could have even been used to create online clans and racing leagues? Possibly. A true career mode? Maybe. However, all of this is dependent on SONY not shoving GT Mobile down Polyphony and our throats, which obviously happened and delayed GT5 at least a year.

We could have been enjoying GT5 itself by now if not for GT PSP. In fact, the GT5 which Kazunori's coding ninjas are currently polishing up, with all the features we've been asking for, if not for SONY Japan's bone headed decision to give the PSP that killer app. Then again, the PSP is making SONY money, and they need money...

I still think SONY made Kazunori release the wrong game. He was determined to produce GT PSP after GT5, a game which will sell PS3s and Logitech wheels, and game copies like tacos. SONY would be swimming in money, and Logitech would be sitting pretty too, if GT5 had come out by this Christmas.

But this is just wishful thinking. Still, delaying GT5 until this year sometime might have given us some goodies we might not have had, with some Polyphony software coder pondering the Cell BE architecture, and the engine they created for GT5. Something in GT5 will be sweeter for the wait, and I'm all about the sweetest GT5 Kaz and the lads can produce.
 
But this is just wishful thinking. Still, delaying GT5 until this year sometime might have given us some goodies we might not have had...

Exactly, the game will have a lot of modes to enjoy, you can tune old machines to turn them into ferocious racing cars, you can just buy supercars and progress through the carrer, you can play online and many other thing to do.

As far I'm concerned, I will spent a lot of time on my garage, did you guys see the animation in the CES demo where a camera fly over the parked cars? I want that with a free camera to inspect even the interiors in GT5..:drool:

Kaz must be very stressed for a japanese guy, this is not the japanese way of life, well, this is not the way the teachers told me. :D
 
I don't think its been too long at all.

GTHD was supposed to be the new game but that was scrapped.

👍

Some people think that GT5 has been in development for 5 years with a fixed project goal, something which couldn't be further from the truth. No-one knows what was going on with GT:HD, and PD only started full time on GT5 in December 06, right after HD was scrapped.

Development of GT5 has been anything but 5 years of solid focus with clear development goals.
 
If PD weren`t doing too many other things like GTHD, GT5P and GT TV, GT PSP,time trial/acadamy programs,GT-R dashboards,visiting every game/car show with a new demo version of GT5everytime and generally dicking about (we have damage and weather but not sure about it) and just stuck to completing the game. Then we would have had it way back in 2008. Thats 2YRS NOW!
 
Back