If GT5 released in 2008

  • Thread starter Thread starter danthespaceman
  • 62 comments
  • 5,349 views
Ok, I don't understand why some people say "PD give us GT5 already". First, PD is not EA (Rushed NFS game every year) I was so disappointed with Shift.

"If GT5 released 2008" That's 2 years ago .. umm .. no thanks I would like to wait more cuz I'm not gonna die waiting for it .. once I play it for weeks, it will boring just like any game.

Well, if they released GT5 in 2008 .. But Sony registered GT5 as a "High Quality Game" so it should take some time. Keep in mind that PS3 is a new console so GT5 is just the beginning.

Only time will tell !
 
:D This is not a fair question my friend, if you asked me the same question in 2008, I would probably have answered: Yes, give me GT now! But we have waited so long to have a GT5, and this is what we're gonna get. The evolution from GT4 will be present on every area and feature of the game. (Damage, Cockpit View ), and you can make a analysis of the evolution of the series:

GT1 - Few cars, few tracks
GT2 - Evolution of GT1 : Lots of cars, Good number of tracks
GT3 - New console, new graphic engine, new physics resulting few cars and few tracks
GT4 - Evo of GT3: Lots of cars, Lots of tracks

GT5 - New console, new cell processor multicore programming, new physics model, damage model, interior view, bigger attention to details. Lots of cars, Good number of tracks ( as we know by now ).

Conclusion: We're not getting GT5, we will get GT6 renamed to GT5. :D

Gran Turismo 3 was probably the best and at the same time, the worst game in the series.

It felt rushed, the amount of content compared to its predecessor GT2 was pathetic. It advanced in graphics, physics, but it was missing so much. GT4s development then took a long time from that because there was so much to do because GT3 was i would describe; an unfinished attempt at a game. Despite the fact its their best selling game and also their highest rated game (i think), it was because this game was not quite finished that resulted in the long wait for GT4. The only thing i feel GT3 had going for it, in GT mode at least, was the lateral grip physics which allowed you to drift and skid etc. But apart from that, and Arcade mode, GT4 was a vast improvement in all areas. But GT3 was only a vast improvement over GT2 in graphics and physics, everything else i feel was a little bit worse (but that is my opinion)

I feel they didn't want to make the same mistake twice. They (PD) wanted GT5 to be something special, an improvement over GT4 in all areas, not just graphics and physics. Because they have spent so long on this game, they only need add things to it for GT6, which could quite possibly be out before Forza 4 (Thats depending on whether they are developing it for the 360 or the 360s successor that is rumoured to be under development).
 
:D This is not a fair question my friend, if you asked me the same question in 2008, I would probably have answered: Yes, give me GT now! But we have waited so long to have a GT5, and this is what we're gonna get. The evolution from GT4 will be present on every area and feature of the game. (Damage, Cockpit View ), and you can make a analysis of the evolution of the series:

GT1 - Few cars, few tracks
GT2 - Evolution of GT1 : Lots of cars, Good number of tracks
GT3 - New console, new graphic engine, new physics resulting few cars and few tracks
GT4 - Evo of GT3: Lots of cars, Lots of tracks

GT5 - New console, new cell processor multicore programming, new physics model, damage model, interior view, bigger attention to details. Lots of cars, Good number of tracks ( as we know by now ).

Conclusion: We're not getting GT5, we will get GT6 renamed to GT5. :D
I agree 100%.
However, this means GT5P is GT5.
Which means GT5 sucks ass, and is the worst GT game for it's time. And presumably worse than Forza 2. Not due to physics, graphics, or anything other than content, and playability.

Like I said before, why couldn't we get GT5 (GT5P with more tracks and a cereer mode) a year and a half sooner, with half of all this extra stuff, and then they could have put all this extra stuff into GT6 and released it this coming Christmas?
 
Like I said before, why couldn't we get GT5 (GT5P with more tracks and a cereer mode) a year and a half sooner, with half of all this extra stuff, and then they could have put all this extra stuff into GT6 and released it this coming Christmas?

As we know, Capitalism is the state of art of the economic progress, but it is own cancer too. GT5P, is nothing more than a laboratory to obtain feedback, sony would never have approved a free demo to obtain this feedback. Then, PD packed it with gorgeous graphics, ferraris, the GTR on the cover and named it Prologue to make some money for sony.

Result: PD got the feedback from magazines and site reviews ( and fans too, since someone at PD may have read GTP once ), Sony got a few millions to keep the GT5 project alive without bothering the finance department, and the fans were rewarded with an incomplete game project and the waiting(yes, we got the cancer of the metaphor). This is not to be fair or romantic, is just money and a software company.
 
5 years for a game of this scale, built from scratch for a new console, isn't all that bad tbh.
 
5 years for a game of this scale, built from scratch for a new console, isn't all that bad tbh.

We've had millions of games built for a new console and from scratch in under 5 years.
 
As much as I hate waiting for this freaking game.. I'm glad they didn't release it in 2008 because it would be without any shadow of a doubt 🤬 (something that exits bums).

Think about it, the longer they spend on it the better it will be. at 90% now so it must be outrageous.
 
Like I said before, why couldn't we get GT5 (GT5P with more tracks and a cereer mode) a year and a half sooner, with half of all this extra stuff, and then they could have put all this extra stuff into GT6 and released it this coming Christmas?
Like I said before, Kazunori was forced to work on GT PSP.

A game nearly as big as GT5.

But forced to fit into a memory space less than twenty percent the size of GT4! About one gigabyte.

The entire team had to quit work on GT5 to focus on GT PSP as it went along, because this was very difficult to accomplish. And keep in mind that GT4 took almost four years to build.

As for GT6, you wouldn't see it for about three years, 2011 at the earliest, so SONY could make as much as possible on GT5 to recoup their massive investment.

We've had millions of games built for a new console and from scratch in under 5 years.
Yes. Simple games. Short games. Prologue comes to mind. ;) But the other PS3 games of this scale, such as Killzone and Final Fantasy XIII? Four years, and there were things these teams didn't have to deal with, such as making vehicles handle as accurately as possible. Or making another game in the middle of the main projects' development cycle.
 
👍

Some people think that GT5 has been in development for 5 years with a fixed project goal, something which couldn't be further from the truth. No-one knows what was going on with GT:HD, and PD only started full time on GT5 in December 06, right after HD was scrapped.

Development of GT5 has been anything but 5 years of solid focus with clear development goals.

This is truer than a great big, scientifically proven true thing with photographic evidence.

Another point I'd like to make is that, despite KY making a big deal about saying he doesn't pay much attention to other games, someone high up at PD or Sony most certainly does. It's fairly obvious from the features they're introducing that they've been watching Forza like hawks and the amount of back-footing and delays since the release of version 3 have been very telling.

The nearest thing they have to a development roadmap is - it'll be released when it does everything Microsoft does.
 
Looking back I wish PD had released a GT4HD. Just GT4 but in full 1080p with added online functionality.
That's something I would still buy if priced reasonable.
 
Me too. I'd have preferred a next-gen port with basic online to prologue, truth be told. There was more tacks, more cars, it'd been out years sooner and if I had never experienced the physics improvements I'd never have missed them.

Right now I'm a bit worried about the whole franchise. For the first time in the company's history they're playing catchup and it strikes me they're freaking out and trying to cram loads of stuff in that doesn't belong in the vain hope of grabbing bigger market share, see Nascar, IRL, WRC ... etc. Those are niche genres which, in the past have been supported by dedicated games, with the jump to next-gen there's a few gaps in the market and to me it's an easy way out for PD to cram them in and spin some bollix about KY's vision being to include every form of driving.

Sorry but I'm not buying it and, if GT6 goes even further down this road I can imagine I won't be buying that either.
 
Me too. I'd have preferred a next-gen port with basic online to prologue, truth be told. There was more tacks, more cars, it'd been out years sooner and if I had never experienced the physics improvements I'd never have missed them.

Right now I'm a bit worried about the whole franchise. For the first time in the company's history they're playing catchup and it strikes me they're freaking out and trying to cram loads of stuff in that doesn't belong in the vain hope of grabbing bigger market share, see Nascar, IRL, WRC ... etc. Those are niche genres which, in the past have been supported by dedicated games, with the jump to next-gen there's a few gaps in the market and to me it's an easy way out for PD to cram them in and spin some bollix about KY's vision being to include every form of driving.

Sorry but I'm not buying it and, if GT6 goes even further down this road I can imagine I won't be buying that either.

Cya then.....
 
I agree with shady. The dream of Kazunori sensei has always been to encompass everything from automotive and motorsport history into Gran Turismo. What you call "playing catch up," he considers unfinished work. He's never going to stop, so maybe it's time to find another game to ride into the sunset if you disagree...
 
I wish. If I hadn't spent more than 300 bucks on the console I need to play this game already I'd probably grab an X-box and Forza3 but, that said, I know GT, I trust that version 5 will be worth the wait. I'm more concerned with the direction they seem to be headed than with where I think they are right now.
 
Well, but I told you where Kazunori is going. It's up to you to decide whether that's a good thing or not, rather than ask Gran Turismo to stop being Gran Turismo.
 
Can't argue with ya there. Unfortunately I'm left with Hobson's choice - It's GT or nothing as far as the PS3 is concerned. What's the alternative? NFS? Ridge Racer? I never had much time for monopoly markets - this is why.
 
too many GT5 haters even before it is released. and i aint gonna type that with proper grammar either. lol.
 
We've had millions of games built for a new console and from scratch in under 5 years.

So all games have the same development time frames? GT5 will be genre defining, it will take longer than its competitors.
 
I aint really a hater. I bought a 300quid console and a 150buck wheel, over two years ago, just to play it. It's as near to being on a real racetrack as I've ever felt in a video game. I just wish there was more of the stuff I like about it and less of the stuff I don't.
 
So all games have the same development time frames? GT5 will be genre defining, it will take longer than its competitors.

I am not saying all games have the same development time frames. You said 5 years is not long in your opinion. I think it is quite long.
That's all.
 
I actually don't see the point of head-tracking.
 
I am not saying all games have the same development time frames. You said 5 years is not long in your opinion. I think it is quite long.
That's all.

For this game, I don't think it's long. I just have this impression that people are visualising the PD office being empty and people sat twiddling their thumbs for 5 years.

It'll be released when it's ready. Or, they release it when it's not, and everyone moans anyway. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place (like most of us devs). You will never, ever satisfy gamers.
 
I think that 5 years is a bit too much for a company that is so experienced and professional at what they do best. I agree that there is going to be a lot of content and it could be revolutionary but they should care about the customers as well. I know many friends who have bought an Xbox 360 to play Forza 3 since they just couldn't bear the wait any longer. This is going to bring the sales down IMO. I personally have no problem with this as long as the result is good. I would just wish that they would keep us more informed about their progress by releasing screenshots or videos or simply blogging about the game. Other games like MGS4 took long to make as well but the wait seemed less because the creators gave us videos and images and just look at how well the game is. PD will also have a product of simalar quality if not better but they should not lose customers as a result of their lack of communication.

Anyway, PD should just concentrate on GT5 now and released it in the summer. It can still sell lots and hopefully continue the legacy of the franchise through its quality.
 
I waited 15 years for the first GT, 5 for the the 5th isn't tooo bad :) although the wait has become disheartening with no end in sight.. again.

But seriously I think the wait will appear justified to any rational individual. KY says it will be overwhelming and I think that will be true. They're laying the foundation for the next 3 or 4 Gran Turismos, it should be as complete as possible.
 
They're laying the foundation for the next 3 or 4 Gran Turismos, it should be as complete as possible.

I was thinking about it yesterday, maybe they're modeling the cars in a ultra high resolution so they can use the same models for the next GT games, it would save a lot of time in the next games. Also, the car list would be greatly increased in every GT and we wouldn't lose any classics. I missed the Plymouth GTX from GT2 because it wasn't in GT4.

Using this method would take more time, but would produce and constantly increasing car list, maybe 1500 cars in GT6 with all tracks of the previous games, and 2000 cars in GT7, and the list would just keep growing.
 
If GT5 had of come out earlier, I most definately would have bought a PS3. As time goes on I'm less and less likely to get one when GT5 comes out (due to my having less and less free time to play games).

I would have preferred GT5 to come out earlier and then for PD to be working on GT6. Chasing perfection is like chasing the carrot on the stick, you're never actually going to reach it despite how long you run.

I feel that any game, GT5 included, you just have to start work on it, get the engine, put in the content and release the damn thing. The more you want to perfect things eventually you reach the point where you have to keep going back to start because choices you made earlier effect things down the track, so it becomes a very long and painful process for not a lot of gain.

Howeve I could be wrong, GT5 may come out and blow my mind so hard they I purchase a PS3 despite my lack of free time to play it and I eat my words... but when it comes to games the more pessimistic I am the better, as they rarely live up to expectations.
 
as we know, capitalism is the state of art of the economic progress, but it is own cancer too. Gt5p, is nothing more than a laboratory to obtain feedback, sony would never have approved a free demo to obtain this feedback. then, pd packed it with gorgeous graphics, ferraris, the gtr on the cover and named it prologue to make some money for sony.

Don't forget GTHD.
 
Back