If you had to kill off one video game series in favor of bringing back another, what would it be?

I'd kill off iRacing just to get anything back that isn't super eSports focused for sim racing.

Oh, I have to be specific? Then either the Midnight Club series or another Richard Burns Rally-like game.

Last edited:
I have to agree with some of the recent posts about killing off iRacing, the focused sim racing genre has run its course and there isn't much room for innovation.

To suggest something that hasn't been brought up yet, I would like a follow-up to the Juiced series.

I have to agree with some of the recent posts about killing off iRacing, the focused sim racing genre has run its course and there isn't much room for innovation.

The way I see it, iRacing is the CS:GO of racing sims as the go-to eSports title and it won't go anywhere or change significantly, it doesn't really need to. In fact, maybe it shouldn't change significantly, the move from CS 1.6 to CS:GO split the player base between the two after all. I think it has its place and it keeps other sims and racing games free of certain types of people...

@Magdelayna what I want to know is where are the indie devs who could make a killing by filling the * Strike void? I've still got Nuclear and Soviet Strike installed on my PS3 because nothing has ever replaced them, something with more responsive controls and modern conveniences could be great. Although I must admit I tried making a Strike-like on Dreams and didn't get far because I couldn't think of ways to keep it interesting.

I have two answers:

1): Kill off Assasins Creed and bring back the Metal Gear Solid series. Metal Gear Solid 5 was such a huge step forward in terms of the gameplay mechanics and open world playground (yeah I know the story sucks and is nonexistent). It is sad that Kojima is no longer associated with Metal Gear, however I think Konami is walking away from a series that millions of people love. I would like to see the Metal Gear series revived, even if Kojima is not involved. There is so much potential story wise that Konami almost has no excuse at this point.

2): Kill off Final Fantasy (The new ones are garbage) and bring back Ninja Gaiden. Ninja Gaiden Black is one of my favorite games; it took a masterpiece and made it even better. Amazing and fluid combat, a Zelda-like open world, and puzzles/platforming made for a unique action/adventure experience. Bring back Ninja Gaiden and mirror it after the original Xbox one, as Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3 were subpar.

The way I see it, iRacing is the CS:GO of racing sims as the go-to eSports title and it won't go anywhere or change significantly, it doesn't really need to. In fact, maybe it shouldn't change significantly, the move from CS 1.6 to CS:GO split the player base between the two after all. I think it has its place and it keeps other sims and racing games free of certain types of people...

@Magdelayna what I want to know is where are the indie devs who could make a killing by filling the * Strike void? I've still got Nuclear and Soviet Strike installed on my PS3 because nothing has ever replaced them, something with more responsive controls and modern conveniences could be great. Although I must admit I tried making a Strike-like on Dreams and didn't get far because I couldn't think of ways to keep it interesting.

I think i played that on Dreams hehe! Just imagine a mix of all the old games in 4k 60 fps....not sure why they never made another seeing as they were so popular!

It's stupid expensive as well. Excluding the membership, it'd cost around 1600$ to own every car and track they have on the website! Now obviously no one's going to buy everything, but factor in a decent wheel and computer, and you're still looking at roughly 3000$ just to get yelled at by toxic "SiM rAcInG iS sErIoUs!!1!" virgins that live in their mom's basement whenever you make the tiniest mistake.

So yeah, kill it off. And you know what, bring back Road Rash!

Alright, I thought of some new trade offs.

1. I would kill off Silent Hill as a franchise right now if it meant giving Enthusia a second chance. Amazing light sim (or simcade) for its time and one of my favorite racing games to play on my PS2. With some tweaks to the career mode's progression and including customization options; you can have a great franchise going that's on par with GT and Forza. Meanwhile, Silent Hill seems to be stuck in pachinko Land.

2. Sonic the Hedgehog for Ape Escape. Sonic seems to just jump around trying to be a different platformer everytime Sega releases one, not knowing what game it wants to be. Kinda reminds me of NFS now that I think of it. Ape Escape though knew what kind of gaming franchise it wanted to be, running around through time catching evil monkeys! That was fun, I loved the puzzles, gadgets, and how the game controlled. I won't miss Sonic if it means getting that series back.

3. Grid for Driveclub, I've played multiple Grid games now including the newest one and it only was really enjoyable for me with the first game (but was still a major pain to playthrough sometimes). With that said, I would get rid of it in favor of Driveclub. After all of its bugs were worked out, that became a very solid arcade racer with a fantastic car selection. What I had to enjoy, I loved it all. I wish Evolution Studios could be revived and be able to make a 2nd one for that reason. If that means killing off Grid to do it, then so be it.

This looks like fun. I think I have a controversial few to share. I'll try to keep my choices within the same genre or theme.

1. Kill Mario Kart to bring back Wipeout. Sure, we got Omega Collection recently but I mean a completely new game from the ground up with new ships, new tracks, new teams. Wipeout and Mario Kart are pretty similar with multiple speed classes, items, three lap races, and so on. However, Wipeout is way more niche but I prefer the aesthetic and game design much more.

2. Kill Stellaris for an official Star Trek strategy game. Star Trek is absolutely perfect for a strategy game like Civ or Stellaris. Building up your region of space, defending it from other powers, exploring the quadrant, diplomacy etc. Why has nobody done this well yet?

3. Kill off Sackboy's Big Adventure for LittleBigPlanet 4. A fourth installment in the side-scrolling platformer series that doubles as a miniature game creation tool could have been so much better than the Super Mario 3D World ripoff we got.

4. Kill off Star Citizen to create an Expanse-themed FPS adventure game/RPG thing. Exploring the solar system with grounded tech and different factions sounds like a great game for the new generation of consoles.

5. Kill off any number of recent off-road racing games like VRally, Gravel, Dirt 5 to bring back Motorstorm. The mayhem in those games of all these different car classes intermixing was really fun and something no one else has really done. Also helped that the games themselves were really good.

6. Erase DriveClub from existence for a new Full Auto game. I don't blame anyone for not knowing what this series was, but it was tons of fun. Basically a deathmatch if everyone was driving James Bond cars. But yeah, screw DriveClub. That game had a horrible handling model and there was nothing to do in it besides check off events in a list.

7. Kill off Resident Evil for Alien Isolation 2. Maybe call it Aliens: Isolation? It would be cool to introduce the colonial marines into it and learn of how Amanda Ripley survived the previous game after being spaced.

That's all I have for now, I may come up with more in the future.

Last edited:

Ok, probably just Dirt 5 then. I think that's the most egregious out of the three I mentioned. The main series (not Rally) has fallen so far from 3's high that it's just kind of sad. It has the exact same problem that GRiD 2019 has compared to the original GRiD.

1. I would nominate JUMP crossover series for elimination to get Jet Set Radio back. I want to understand the concept of love again. Also, JUMP force was nostalgia and meme bait to the worst degree.

2. Replace Smash Bros. for Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. The Smash community is too divided and entitled to agree on anything.

3. Replace Mass Effect for Megaman Battle Network/Starforce. Megaman RPGs have some story holes and time jumps that need to be explained or told. Also, Starforce 4 was a "unique" concept that could work.

Last edited:
Kill off: Forza Horizon
Bring back: PGR and Rallisport Challenge

Kill off: GRID, NFS and PCARS
Bring back: Driveclub and old days Burnout (Takedown/Revenge)

Kill off: Metal Gear
Bring back: Enthusia

Kill off: one of the multiple Milestone's bikes IP
Bring back: something like V8 Superstars Next Challenge. PS3/X360 forbidden game that was very enjoyable.

Ok, probably just Dirt 5 then. I think that's the most egregious out of the three I mentioned. The main series (not Rally) has fallen so far from 3's high that it's just kind of sad. It has the exact same problem that GRiD 2019 has compared to the original GRiD.

Maybe a bit off topic, but I really do think Dirt and Grid series should just die at this point.

They had many chances to get the Dirt and Grid formula right - 3/4/5/Showdown/Rally for Dirt and 2/Autosport/2019 for Grid, but the fact that their most well-received games are Dirt 3 (made 10 years ago) and Dirt Rally series (which is a spinoff that's nothing like previous Dirt) speaks volume. And, based on Dirt 5 and Grid 2019, I think both series are basically at their lowest point now.

So, I'd kill off main Dirt series (keep Rally) and bring back Sebastien Loeb Rally EVO - which I think was a game with ton of potential despite being tragically overlooked. With Grid... I don't really know. Maybe let Sega cook up new Sega GT game based on their Super GT arcade racer?

Last edited:
Kill off: Forza Horizon
Bring back: PGR and Rallisport Challenge

Kill off: GRID, NFS and PCARS
Bring back: Driveclub and old days Burnout (Takedown/Revenge)
2. Replace one series with another. Don’t mention killing off multiple video game series in favor of bringing back one, or killing off one series in favor bringing back several others. One with another.

Last edited:
Kill NASCAR - There's only so much that can be done and the majority of efforts from the Heat games have been either received as medicore to garbage fire.

Bring back Indycar - It's criminal that the latest standalone Indycar games were from the PS2 era. The modern Indycar series is crying for a new game and not lumped in as part of a wider car collection.

Kill off NASCAR Heat (704Games) and bring back NASCAR Racing (Papyrus).
Haven't played the new Heat games, but I have played NR2003 some and I have to say, I would like to see a new one from Papyrus again.
I'm late to reply, but thank you! :)
Another would be to kill everything Konami makes
Don't know how I missed this, but one series with another please. ;)
Would kill Ride and bring back Ford Racing! would be interesting what a modern Ford Racing game would be like. Maybe Ford Racing 4?
I agree! I don't know anything about Ride, but a new Ford Racing game would be neat, I totally enjoyed Ford Racing 3 back in the day.
an official Star Trek strategy game
Expanse-themed FPS adventure game/RPG thing
Forgive me, I must have replied a little too quickly earlier, but I have to ask, are these games that have actually existed before you want brought back? :confused:
Erase DriveClub from existence for a new Full Auto game.
Also, I don't play Driveclub, but isn't it already dead? :confused:

Sadly I think the days of games like burnout are long gone. Everyone wants licensed cars and/or realism (or perceived realism).
I agree that the days of games like Burnout are long gone, but I don't think it is because everyone wants licenced cars and realism.

I think it is more that arcade racers with fictional cars are hard to monetize, and therefore big studios won't risk it.

I think GRID is a complete joke and needs to be killed off for the resurrection of TOCA/V8 Supercars. I REALLY want to have a V8 Supercars 4 with all the cars and tracks from the 2021 season. It would be great to race each track on the calendar with the same format as the real world. I want a proper Supercars experience in the virtual world again!

Kill off: Assassin's Creed
Bring back: Dead Space

I think the AC series has overstayed its welcome. Sure, some of the more recent games are not that bad, but at this point it's getting very stale and redundant. In my mind, the series in general is overhyped. I remember I was pretty disappointed by the gameplay in the original and while it improved since then, it's always felt like a game focused on quantity rather than quality like a lot of other open world games.

Dead Space 1 and 2 were some of my favorite games when they came out. I remember I picked up the first one kind of by accident and couldn't put it down. It actually felt scary playing the game at night with the headphones on and I love that. Survival horror is one of my favorite genres and I think like the first two games are great representatives of it. The whole dismemberment mechanic was brilliant as well and I really liked the zero-g disorienting bits. Didn't play the third game myself, but it seems to have strayed from what made the first two so good. Anyway, hopefully EA does something with the franchise in the future or maybe sells it to someone capable.

I've heard of Callisto Protocol made by the studio where Glen Schofield is the CEO (he was the lead on Dead Space 1) and it has a similar vibe to Dead Space, so hopefully it will be a spiritual successor. Guess it's probably the closest game to DS I can see coming in the near future.

Kill Final Fantasy - Disappointment after disappointment and the development cycle rivals that of Polyphony Digital.

Bring back Parasite Eve - Mitochondria

6. Erase DriveClub from existence for a new Full Auto game. I don't blame anyone for not knowing what this series was, but it was tons of fun. Basically a deathmatch if everyone was driving James Bond cars. But yeah, screw DriveClub. That game had a horrible handling model and there was nothing to do in it besides check off events in a list.

You are absolutely right there. Despite its nice graphics, cars and tracks. I don't find any reason to replay this game ever since completing the events (including the free ones I could get at the last minutes of the game) except for that one AMG event which was just bonkers. I was expecting for all of the DLC to be available before the shutdown but I guess that wasn't the case which was a shame.

To suggest something that hasn't been brought up yet, I would like a follow-up to the Juiced series.
Does Sim racing need to innovate as such, or just get better over time piece by piece? Better physics, better graphics, better sound, better force feedback/motion/VR etc. etc. - ever gradually becoming more and more like the real thing.

The "innovation" in sim racing is to chase reality.

Last edited:
Back