If you have less than 200 posts - read this immediately!

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 113 comments
Here is my offer to the forum:

I have more than 2200 posts as of this moment, which is more than enough to qualify for the better avatar. Those that have been around know that I like to have my custom avatar with Superman, and the occasional divergences (such as the lightning "Tom" I currently use.)
My offer is this: I will forgo the use of custom avatars for 500 posts of whatever I am currently at. I will also give up my rights to the Custom member status under my name. At my current rate of posting, 11+ per day, it will take me a month and a half to get those priveledges back. This should be more than enough to quiet the flood whiney people standing upon the soapbox of unfairness.
So Until 2759, I am Tom McDonnell, GT40 driver, Needs to post more. Because I think that GTPlanet is worth more than just it's ability to show off what I can do in photoshop. It's a community full of people that I respect, and enjoy conversing with.
:earth:

I couldn't agree more with Tom. As I'm reading though this thread, I see it as a great idea!!! :thumbsup:

But to support like members, I will also set my avatar to a one that can be selected from the defualt list as Josh and Tom has offered.

This community is way to cool to put it aside just because of an avatar issue. ;)

:cheers:

And until I reach 4600 post, I'm driving a Mazda (unless the new avatars are, shall we say, cooler.... :D)

(Edited: Reduced from 500 to 200 additional posts)

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
.........I always thought it was a bit odd that you could shove your own avatar in before some of the standard ones. Perhaps J could implement varying limits (say 5k < 150 posts, 10k < 200 posts etc) so you could have a richer avatar the more posts you had.

Sounds like a good idea, high maintainence without a script, but a good idea. ;)

Originally posted by Josh

And Jag_Man, if this upsets you that much, I'll go through it with you.;) Until you reach 500 posts, I'll set my avatar to one of the new default avatars just like you will...

Dang it! I missed this part, and I thought I was being original... :( Well I suppose great minds must think alike ;)

Originally posted by Tom McDonnell

Dang it! I missed this part, and I thought I was being original... :( Well I suppose great minds must think alike ;)

:P;)

I've decided to not use an avatar until Wednsday when the new defaults are revealed...:)

Originally posted by rufrgt_sn00pie2001
Use mostlye LoudMusics avatars as default and I doubt a lot of 'n00bs' (<----sorry :( Don't know how else to put it) won't would really mind :rolleyes: :P

Hey, thanks for the plug, bro! I think Pako's got some really cool ones too, and Rice Rocket has cranked out a few flashy ones as well.

I think it's noble of you fellas to change your avatars in hopes to keep the disgruntled '<500 Post members' around, but if they're really upset about something so frivolous as that, I say let them go.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by MistaX
Oh and deleteing useless posts? does this mean no more "How Many Reply's Can We Get'' Thread?

If your gonna delete that my post count will go down to about 300 or something.....

try 560, to be exact :P

Originally posted by MistaX
T-Shirts! Jorden Get T-Shirts!

Btw there is a total pointless thread (to get posts) hidden away in the GTA3 forum
I would say its very good placement :)

What would that be?

I think this raises the issue once again of certain people posting hundreds and hundreds of

"Yea"

" :) "

"wjkvnbdfkdvn"

or whatever, just to get their post counts up. Frankly, I don't care a great deal about post counts. If you want loads and you don't care about the quality, then go ahead and post rubbish.

By setting a standard based on post counts (and I admit I would find it difficult to suggest an alternative) you open yourself to a bunch of people posting rubbish to get their counts up.

Tough call for Jordan. he wants to keep his site to a high quality, and make things best for everyone, but there are some losers who abuse the system and make it less valid.

Hope it works out for you.

Originally posted by polyphony 001
I think this raises the issue once again of certain people posting hundreds and hundreds of

"Yea"

" :) "

"wjkvnbdfkdvn"

or whatever, just to get their post counts up. Frankly, I don't care a great deal about post counts. If you want loads and you don't care about the quality, then go ahead and post rubbish.

By setting a standard based on post counts (and I admit I would find it difficult to suggest an alternative) you open yourself to a bunch of people posting rubbish to get their counts up.

Tough call for Jordan. he wants to keep his site to a high quality, and make things best for everyone, but there are some losers who abuse the system and make it less valid.

Hope it works out for you.

Whoa mate! Long time no-see. How's it been?

I pretty much agree. He wants to get more people posting, but also keep the quality up. We've had lots of threads talking about this, and without huge amounts of moderator intervention it is nearly impossible to hope for good results.

One of my former roommates and I used to talk about the critical mass of the companies we worked for. I fear that GTPlanet is approaching critical mass.

Critical Mass - The amount of matter needed to generate sufficient gravitational force to halt the current expansion of the universe.

When the Universe stops expanding, it starts contracting. A massive breakdown occurs and everything crumbles.

~LoudMusic

Maybe there's a way to make it so everyone has to go through this. Set it so that when you get this up Jordan, from that point, everyone needs to get 500 more posts to earn a custom avatar.

Just an idea

Originally posted by space
Maybe there's a way to make it so everyone has to go through this. Set it so that when you get this up Jordan, from that point, everyone needs to get 500 more posts to earn a custom avatar.

Just an idea

Which, at your current output of 49.10 posts per day, you would achieve in 10 days. :rolleyes: :P

Originally posted by space

Just an idea

You mean a set-your-avatar-to-default-or-Jordan-will break-your-face campaign :D Sounds pretty cool ;)

Orrr... you could involve each members join-date on the matter;) (Oh god...mind the comment snoop :rolleyes: )

Again, wonderful idea Jordan.

Let me know what assistance you need during and after this change.

Originally posted by Macka

Which, at your current output of 49.10 posts per day, you would achieve in 10 days. :rolleyes: :P

heh heh :) But i've slowed down, I'm moving into a new house, so I wont be around much :)

Originally posted by jag_man_v12
:(

jordon i think you should rethink your post number as i dont beleive you have looked it very farely out of the current 5003 members only 45 are above 500 this is a very selfesh and discrimating amount

THINK BE FOR YOU ACT

Right you should be banned for spelling the man's name wrong ;):P I am glad I could help on the cut down of useless threads here (aka Thread about nothing Poo edition).

@Josh:

Love the status man! Senior Member way to go Josh maybe in a few weeks you can be a GTP Platinum member ;):P

Well, I am very, very dissappointed and disheartened at some of the attitudes and comments in this thread. If you don't like this idea, surely you can let that be known without degrading and senseless statements.

I never expected this kind of reaction from either the senior or junior members, and it has made me reconsider the number. So, the new avatar limit will be at 200 posts. I failed to mention that all of the new "default" avatars will come directly out of LoudMusic and Pako's collections, bringing the total to more than 700 great looking images (most of which people are already using here).

Originally posted by Jordan
Well, I am very, very dissappointed and disheartened at some of the attitudes and comments in this thread. If you don't like this idea, surely you can let that be known without degrading and senseless statements.

I never expected this kind of reaction from either the senior or junior members, and it has made me reconsider the number. So, the new avatar limit will be at 150 posts. I failed to mention that all of the new "default" avatars will come directly out of LoudMusic and Pako's collections, bringing the total to more than 700 great looking images (most of which people are already using here).

Well...again, the masses have decided. :(

Originally posted by HUDSONJONES
now thats better, i can live with that, thankyou....
Sorry Hudson, but I changed my mind yet again. 150 is too low and too easily attained. I want having a custom avatar to be special, and a reward for being an active member of the community.

Originally posted by Jordan
Sorry Hudson, but I changed my mind yet again. 150 is too low and too easily attained. I want having a custom avatar to be special, and a reward for being an active member of the community.

oh no :banghead: i was there and now you have taken it away again, so unfair :argue: oh well nearly there.....

sounds good to me. I thought it would take me for ever to get to 1000, and it didn't take that long. And 700 avatars to choose from sounds nice too. I'd like to know the demensions, so I can be prepared. :D

Originally posted by MazKid
sounds good to me. I thought it would take me for ever to get to 1000, and it didn't take that long. And 700 avatars to choose from sounds nice too. I'd like to know the demensions, so I can be prepared. :D

Just remember, the idea isn't to have the largest avatar you can...just something that's functional.

Remember, Jordan has to pay for every penny of every byte of bandwidth the users use here. And big avatars actually cost him more.

Originally posted by AltF8

Just remember, the idea isn't to have the largest avatar you can...just something that's functional.

Remember, Jordan has to pay for every penny of every byte of bandwidth the users use here. And big avatars actually cost him more.

If Jordan was worrying about the cost, do you think he would be changing the limits? Think about it...

Back