If you have less than 200 posts - read this immediately!

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 113 comments
I think this a great idea, for users under 200 (like me) it makes me want to post more and more. I usually come on everyday but don't post everyday, no i will put useful posts on almost every thread i go to which everymember should do

Originally posted by Jordan
Well, I am very, very dissappointed and disheartened at some of the attitudes and comments in this thread. If you don't like this idea, surely you can let that be known without degrading and senseless statements.

I never expected this kind of reaction from either the senior or junior members, and it has made me reconsider the number. So, the new avatar limit will be at 200 posts. I failed to mention that all of the new "default" avatars will come directly out of LoudMusic and Pako's collections, bringing the total to more than 700 great looking images (most of which people are already using here).

U cannot put my avatar as a default, its specially made for us 5000+ posters :P

Originally posted by Jordan
Well, I am very, very dissappointed and disheartened at some of the attitudes and comments in this thread. If you don't like this idea, surely you can let that be known without degrading and senseless statements.

I never expected this kind of reaction from either the senior or junior members, and it has made me reconsider the number. So, the new avatar limit will be at 200 posts. I failed to mention that all of the new "default" avatars will come directly out of LoudMusic and Pako's collections, bringing the total to more than 700 great looking images (most of which people are already using here).

I thought 500 was an ok number, 250 or 300 would be better but oh well. Its your decision. I'm prolly gonna get flamed for this or something. Oh well.

ok lets wait and see
my comment is my aviatar is me is my jag my car its me not some car i dream of like most in here that pic goes with me every where And i thank Pako for his work on it so come wednesday we we will see what happens

Attachments

• jag_man_v12-1.gif
    jag_man_v12-1.gif
    16.7 KB · Views: 126
Originally posted by mayorbill11
quantity does not equal quality.

I slap you back to the Simville from which you came! Pako's and my avatars are of the highest quality!

BOW BEFORE ME!

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by LoudMusic

Whoa mate! Long time no-see. How's it been?

I pretty much agree. He wants to get more people posting, but also keep the quality up. We've had lots of threads talking about this, and without huge amounts of moderator intervention it is nearly impossible to hope for good results.

~LoudMusic

I've been working mate - the realities of life.

Plus the fact that I got RSI from my GT3 addiction. The book of 787 now lies abandoned and I am bereft. My frail hands are now only a match for James Bond Agenct Under Fire. Woe is me.

I just pop into GTP occasionally now to laugh at the latest controversy and chew the fat about films.

See you around I'm sure...

Sorry Jordan that's a very poor decision,i've read your post and even though reporting useless posts is gonna be introduced,i believe it'll lead to a lot more pointless posts being made.BTW that means my avatar,better than some (including the default 1's) i've seen IMHO will be no more. :(
156 posts of honest opinion and help count for squat i guess.

Originally posted by jag_man_v12
ok lets wait and see
my comment is my aviatar is me is my jag my car its me not some car i dream of like most in here that pic goes with me every where And i thank Poko for his work on it so come wednesday we we will see what happens

Yeah, thanks POKO :D (I'm so childish :P )

Anywayz... I thought the 500 limit was better :confused:
But I'm gonna really shut up now :sleep:

Cheers anyway Jordan!

I slap you back to the Simville from which you came! Pako's and my avatars are of the highest quality!

BOW BEFORE ME!

~LoudMusic

Ah hahahaha! You mean "BOW BEFORE US"! 😈

:cheers:

BOW BEFORE ME!

~LoudMusic

heh, you're the first person to pick up on where my username came from ;)

on the subject, getting people people to be more active is good, but now you have the task of getting those posts to be quality, for example, the how many replies thread is not very quality, i has alot of "hi" and "lol" posts which could be better put to use in a java applet IRC chat room for the GTP, wink wink, nudge nudge. ;)

Originally posted by rufrgt_sn00pie2001

Yeah, thanks POKO
:D (I'm so childish :P )........

:D Yeah I know....I know. I'm not one to really notice such things, but hey....kinda hard to miss and being of Moderator Status, I felt compelled to correct the spelling. Just call me old fashioned! :)

Originally posted by Tailslide
Sorry Jordan that's a very poor decision,i've read your post and even though reporting useless posts is gonna be introduced,i believe it'll lead to a lot more pointless posts being made.BTW that means my avatar,better than some (including the default 1's) i've seen IMHO will be no more. :(
156 posts of honest opinion and help count for squat i guess.

Lifes a b¦tch, then your marry one! :(

Tailside, what your saying makes perfect sense. It should be all about Quality of posts rather than share quantity. On the positive side of things you've only been a member here 57 days and in that time you've posted 158 times. So by my calculation you would have reached the magic number (200) in aprox. 10.85714286 days time. Hopefully you can live with a default Avatar until then! :cool:

the how many replies thread is not very quality, i has alot of "hi" and "lol" posts which could be better put to use in a java applet IRC chat room for the GTP, wink wink, nudge nudge. ;)

:reallyodd So what it has that stuff? Its like the biggest thread ever.

my point is just that its easier to use a chatroom as a chatroom than a huge thread.

True true but I have a problem with that, I hate actual chatrooms. Plus not everybody is going to be on at the same time to use the chatroom. With it as a thread somebody can say something and somebody can reply to it even when the user aint on like it already is. You cant really do that in a chatroom(at least i dont think so). Its better the way it is IMO.

In a perfect world, you could have both. And the most popular service would be the dominant source.

I think you would find that a bigger variety of people would use the thread system for chat, but I also think that you'd find that the java-based chat room would get more use from a select few.

One main issue, would be integrading the username athentication system from vBulletin into the chatroom software/scripts.

I sure that if the developer's of vBulletin were to release a chat-patch for their package, Jordan would jump right on board. This is, of course, an assumption on my part. :D

Okay, well, just speaking as a new member the real issue here is as someone said, about 30 posts farther up this thread: it's just a picture!
Fact is there are plenty of places out there where you have to pay to be a member and Jordan's letting us use this for free. I really can't see why there's been such an outcry against this simple change to a policy which really doesn't limit anyone in any tangible way.
Also mentioned was the fact that the "default" avatars would include those from Pako's & Loud Music's collections, so I have this to ask: are there really all that many of you out there who have custom avatars put together for you & you alone? Of those, how many are below 200 posts??

Come on people, does it really make that much of a difference what you have listed under your user name? These are all little things Jordan does to make the site more attractive to prospective members, but those are the key words in that sentence: little things
Perks, extras, items which are NOT NECESSARY to having an enjoyable time in these forums!

The important stuff--keeping the site running, making sure it runs smoothly, testing new features and adding them to the site, upgrading the capabilities of the forums--seems to always run smoothly here!

And more importantly, the people we each interact with on the forums are, by and large, interesting, intelligent, quality people with whom we would normally want to interact anyway...

The community is fun, interesting, and generally top notch; and I think this is exemplified by the Senior, Platinum, and Moderators who have offered to drop their own custom avatars and go with one of the offered default avatars until they reach 500 posts from their current standing.

It would be very sad to think that people would really leave for the sole reason that they couldn't have the picture they wanted listed under their name.....:shakehead

Originally posted by Trailer01
Okay, well, just speaking as a new member the real issue here is as someone said, about 30 posts farther up this thread: it's just a picture!
Fact is there are plenty of places out there where you have to pay to be a member and Jordan's letting us use this for free. I really can't see why there's been such an outcry against this simple change to a policy which really doesn't limit anyone in any tangible way.
Also mentioned was the fact that the "default" avatars would include those from Pako's & Loud Music's collections, so I have this to ask: are there really all that many of you out there who have custom avatars put together for you & you alone? Of those, how many are below 200 posts??

Come on people, does it really make that much of a difference what you have listed under your user name? These are all little things Jordan does to make the site more attractive to prospective members, but those are the key words in that sentence: little things
Perks, extras, items which are NOT NECESSARY to having an enjoyable time in these forums!

The important stuff--keeping the site running, making sure it runs smoothly, testing new features and adding them to the site, upgrading the capabilities of the forums--seems to always run smoothly here!

And more importantly, the people we each interact with on the forums are, by and large, interesting, intelligent, quality people with whom we would normally want to interact anyway...

The community is fun, interesting, and generally top notch; and I think this is exemplified by the Senior, Platinum, and Moderators who have offered to drop their own custom avatars and go with one of the offered default avatars until they reach 500 posts from their current standing.

It would be very sad to think that people would really leave for the sole reason that they couldn't have the picture they wanted listed under their name.....:shakehead

Here here.

I must say that I'm VERY impressed by the seniors here who have removed their own statuses and avatars in a show of support for the new people.

I have no problem with 200, or even 500 posts...if anything it will weed out the riffraff.

If everyone needs to chat so badly, try http://messenger.microsoft.com
It's good, it's free, and there isn't a ton of e-mail spam. I use it, and have a few members here on my list. ;) It's great for talking when PM's or threads just don't cut it.
Plus it won't cost Jordan anything extra in Bandwidth. :D It still will never replace posting in my opinion (because franky I can't/won't add 5000 members to my buddy list ;) )

Gotta say I'm on the fence on this one. My first knee-jerk reaction was "my avatar, nooooo!" Then I realized: I'm over the 200 limit (barely, considering how long I've been a member), and hey - it's just a picture. :) Still, I've used it since my first post and it'd be weird to hafta use something else because I don't post a whole lot...

But hey, the Big J's got a great place here and he's gotta do what he's gotta do...

Jordan, it should be 500. If one or two (or how ever many it was, I'm not gonna go count) object, theres 5,011 other members that like the idea (Ok so maybe not everyone, but since they dont say anything about it, they like it :))
Like your entire idea was, 200 is too easy.

Hell maybe we shouldn't even have avatars at all, or a post count for that matter...

I dont even know how to put ON a custom avatar!!! I signed up in january, but recently got interested in the game once again...so I have..uh 3 posts now! :eek:

Back