If you were in control of SE's, what would YOU do?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Matty-Hodgson
  • 89 comments
  • 9,129 views
Messages
52
Messages
Matty-Hodgson
If Polyphony Digital put you in charge of next weeks Seasonal Events, with the resources of the entire company, and no restrictions on what you could do, what exactly would you do?

I've seen far too many people complain about so many different things so I'm just really curious to see what people actually want from the Seasonal Events.

Be as imaginative and original as you like, just let us know what you think people would enjoy..
 
Make them the same as before this week. Increase the XP and credit amounts a lot, and readd the restrictions on HP and weight. The way they are now its no different than grinding the beginner/amatuer events. With better rewards/restrictions it helps set them apart.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't, I'd permanantly add 50+ more events to A-Spec. Really, how hard is it to think of and generate new events? They couldn't even manage that with the seasonals this week bar one, just the same basic FF/FR/AWD races from A-Spec.
 
Be as imaginative and original as you like, just let us know what you think people would enjoy..

People would never enjoy what I would like, nor I would enjoy what people would like.

Hard-core population will never accept demands of casuals, and casuals will never accept the proposals of hard-core.

"Old-school" GT series players will always be against "GT Nouveau" players and vice-versa.

Any system that would give bonus to more demanding players would piss-off the casuals (This is broken! Why can't I have 50% bonus for non-assists and respect of restrictions? This game sucks!! Etc..).

Removal of restrictions and catering the casuals made demanding players feel cheated for their effort.

I have developed a system that would please both types of players, but that one would ask for a full-redesign of the game structure, implementation of new rules and rewriting of many asset-management. But that is lenghty read, so I will sustain from it.
 
I would want a mix of single manufacturer, rally, events with restrictions and some open events with no restrictions.

All XP to be earned on re-runs so we gain while trying Amar's immaculate challenges, but the XP award per race to reflect the difficulty of the event. Maybe even include a level entry system, eg 1 million XP would really hurt the gameplay of someone new to GT5, but it is just a stepping stone in the mid 30s Aspec.
 
I would add a 20 lap race of Nurburg, and the only cars available would be the PDI Kart, or the X1 limited to Comfort Hard tyres.

I would make the payout 10million credits, and an insane amount of XP.
 
Well, it's very tricky to not get into too much of the specifics. I wouldn't mind the Seasonal Events as they are if A-Spec wasn't so dull, I see them as an extension of the Special Events or of the Driving Missions in GT4.

For example, it's impossible to have a good race because you're starting at the back all the time. Bring back qualifying for all races.
On top of that, reward qualifying position with a small (relative to the race) cash payout to give extra incentive to those who will just romp the competition in the X2010 anyway.

On top of that, the AI should be more competent according to the level of the race. The one-make races can be challenging at times, so bring that over into A-Spec races proper! Add to that a spread in AI ability (why have the complex stuff exhibited in B-Spec but leave it out altogether in A-Spec?) so that AI in inferior cars can put up a challenge against lesser AI in a better car. This should also even out the AI's qualifying performance, to better prevent the fastest cars being at the front all the time. The higher the "level", the closer the performance of entrants should be. This will undoubtedly prove difficult to balance, but it's possible in time.

Finally, a "clean race" bonus would be nice. That's depending on how this new penalty system turns out.


At the end of the day, variety counts the most. Give us a mixture of an overtaking mission, or a "hotlap around idiots" mission (like all the Seasonal Events to date) etc. What would be nice is a (repeatable) proper race, for instance "start in fourth and try for a podium finish" in a close race against the AI - maybe graded by difficulty somehow, just like the Special Events are.
 
If Polyphony Digital put you in charge of next weeks Seasonal Events, with the resources of the entire company, and no restrictions on what you could do, what exactly would you do?

I've seen far too many people complain about so many different things so I'm just really curious to see what people actually want from the Seasonal Events.

Be as imaginative and original as you like, just let us know what you think people would enjoy..

I just want Seasonal 1 & 2 back.
 
I wouldn't either, I would post an add in the notice board saying

''you are a bunch of ungrateful pricks and you get no more freebies, enjoy the wait for GT6''
 
Probably wouldn't do anything all that different, apart from maybe structuring them as races rather than catch ups... They can be just as hard as they were (see SE 1 & 2) but just make it more challenging to stay in front rather than hit hot lap after hot lap in abid to catch the front runner... Oh and including a difficulty tier with relevant rewards i.e:

Tier 1: No restrictions, minimum rewards.
Tier 2: Some restrictions, rewards relative to the effort and time involved in choosing the right car, setting it up etc...
Tier 3: Massive restrictions, massive rewards

And maybe a special prize/event for those who get Gold in all the events etc...

That would allow it to cater to all types, and make such a simple after-thought seem like a more well thought-out addition to the game.

That's probably what I would do anyway...
 
I'd make it just like GT4, the one that scored and paid better and rewarded actual skill and not time spent grinding. Reward cars you can earn again and again.
 
amar please enlighten us...unless of course it would be too long to write.

I personally liked the old seasonals. Im not that good at GT and dont have the time to put into it.

So no restrictions worked for me, and i didnt feel like i was cheating by modifying the hell out of a car. But i still had the oppurtunity to get lots of credits to buy the cars i wanted and to level up. Something i cant really do with the time i have to put into the game.

However the suggestions like this week will guide people if they want a challenge. The hardcore GT player may not understand me, but surely this game can cater for everyone.

I was getting tired with GT5 as i would never accumulate the credits for the FGT, but the seasonals gave me hope and sure enough after a few weeks i could afford it.
 
Leave it as it was before: one off big Cr/xp, optional restrictions.

The only reason I bothered with seasonals was to earn Cr so that I can buy cars that I like and play online. And to level up to 32 and unlock nurburgring 4hr event, my ultimate objective in a-spec.

Haven't grinded in three weeks and won't be doing it again. Lamborghini miura can wait!!
 
Race 1 - Easy Rider
Requirements - Level 10, B Licence Bronze
Reward - 50,000cr, 25,000 Exp
Car - Front Forward 200bhp.
Track - 5 Laps London
Typical Opponents - Similar Spec & BHP Cars
Race Type - Staggered Rolling Start



Race 2 - Plane Silly
Requirements - Level 15, B Licence Silver
Rewards - 150,000cr, 50,000 Exp
Car - GT PDI 100 Go Kart
Track - 5 Laps Top Gear Test Track
Typical Opponents - Honda Beat, Mitsubishi I-Miev, Prius ( low HP electric cars )
Race Type - Staggered Rolling Start



Race 3 - Role Reversal
Requirements - Level 20, B Licence Gold
Rewards - 300,000cr - 75,000 Exp
Car : Aston Martin DB9
Track : 5 Laps Monza
Typical Opponent - You start at the front with opponents every 10 seconds thereafter. Every place behind you grants the opposing car an additional 5bhp.
Race Type - Staggered Rolling Start - Reversed



Race 4 - Slippery When Wet
Requirements - Level 25, A Licence Bronze
Rewards - 500,000cr, 100,000 Exp
Car - Honda S2000
Track - 2 Lap Special Stage Route 11 Rain
Typical Opponents - Similar BHP Japanese Cars
Race Type - Staggered Rolling Start



Championship Standard League Tables Apply
Requirements - Level 30, International B Bronze
Rewards - 1,000,000cr, 125,000 Exp
Track - All 4 Tracks Shown Above
Car - Zonda R 09
Typical Opponents - Similar BHP Cars.
Race Type - Race
 
Easy, I'd combine seasonals as they were with seasonals as they are now. You'd have Seasonal Special Events which are restricted but very profitable, once, then a list of 'Seasonal Spec' (though not seasonal at all because I don't see why a repeatable race should expire) which basically build on the events we have.

So as an example of the kind of thing you'd have:

Seasonal Special Events:
- Classic Le Mans endurance race, maybe not 24h... This would require huge rewards from other events to be able to afford a classic Le Mans car in a two week time span.
- 10 laps of Suzuka in GT 300 class cars
- A full-length F1 race (like 60 laps of Monza or something extreme)
- More point-to-point rallying, I did enjoy that...
- David vs. Goliath races, kind of the reverse of One Lap Magic (where you'd be Goliath but start way after everyone else); a standing start but you have a big disadvantage to the AI.

'Seasonal'-Spec
- Ford Focus ST one-make race
- NA Challenge
- Prestige saloon race
- NASCAR again (didn't do enough before)
- A Ferrari version of the FGT races, but on different tracks, of course.


Basically, I know the events themselves need to be of a certain caliber and not too similar (my examples weren't great), but I don't think PD really need to shake it up all that much. I'd like to see a regular rotation of repeatable races which last between 4 and 6 minutes and pay out 117,000cr which let you use a huge variety of cars, because out of 1,032 cars, there are very few that you can use in the American Championship and that's basically the only race I do when I want money. A race of similar length that make me use, say, an AE86 would be so very awesome.
 
Assuming no technical limitations, this is what I would do:

Each SE would consist of at least 5 races. Each of these races would be broken down into two events, or specs.

Spec I - In this category, there would be strict limitations on hp, weight, drivetrain, tires, etc. There would be a grid start, and your place in the grid would be determined by your car's performance relative to the field's average. So if you are a bit higher hp, or a bit lower weight than the average, you start further to the rear. Spec I events would work just like the early SEs--significant rewards but after you earn the prize money and XP the first time it is gone.

Spec II - These are the exact same events as Spec I but with no limitations. Run them as many times as you like but the rewards are more in line with normal A-Spec events.

Finally, for each set of SEs, if you complete the Spec I events with all gold you win a prize car.
 
If I were in control of the seasonal events, I would look for a way to incorporate bonuses for completing them all, or setting certain performance standards where you can choose low power for a high reward or high power for a lower reward, like GT4 did. You can race whatever you like against whomever you want but the reward is equal to your risk. Become a better driver and don't rely on more horsepower, more grip, more car all the time. I find it far more enjoyable to be dicing with the competition, earning positions with out braking, choosing a better, faster line, and drafting, then lapping them every other lap.

I would also leave a Ferrari race available after these Season 7 events close... :)
 
I'd remove credits and xp from the events, then I'd sit back and watch the uproar on GTP :sly:.
 
I would definitely have RALLY events.... they're fun and not common in th game..
 
1. Archive old seasonal events.
2. Have at least one large pay out event. Make it a series with strict restrictions, one time pay out.
3. Offer highly restricted events and events, as we have now, with suggestions. These should be available to win over and over. Smallish payouts here, as we have now.


What I loved before was that the payout paid at least for the car and it's tuning per race. So I got a car essentially for free, if not a huge profit. This plan above could stagger by weeks or run simultaneously per event. Anyway you slice it, I do not want to duplicate cars or trade. I want to build via the GT5 play structure.
 
Assuming no technical limitations, this is what I would do:

Each SE would consist of at least 5 races. Each of these races would be broken down into two events, or specs.

Spec I - In this category, there would be strict limitations on hp, weight, drivetrain, tires, etc. There would be a grid start, and your place in the grid would be determined by your car's performance relative to the field's average. So if you are a bit higher hp, or a bit lower weight than the average, you start further to the rear. Spec I events would work just like the early SEs--significant rewards but after you earn the prize money and XP the first time it is gone.

Spec II - These are the exact same events as Spec I but with no limitations. Run them as many times as you like but the rewards are more in line with normal A-Spec events.

Finally, for each set of SEs, if you complete the Spec I events with all gold you win a prize car.



This is excellent!
 
Cool thread! Maybe, we could collate the ideas, create a poll and petition PD to include in future seasonal event updates a few events based the most popular event ideas here.

Anyways, coming to my ideas, I have this little theory that the casuals don't really care about exp so I'll give two sets of races.

Set 1 - HP, weight and tyre restrictions (and therefore harder); decent credit reward, big exp reward (like the endurance races). Rewards can be won again for same place.
1. NASCAR at Indy with mandatory pitstop (ie. cars start with less fuel). 30 laps.
2. SuperGT 300 at Suzuka with mid-race rain. 20 laps.
3. Historic Racecars at Nurburgring 24H with day/night transition. 3 laps.

Ok, I'm not sure about the number of laps but each race should last about 45 mins.
​

Set 2 - No HP, weight or tyre restrictions(and therefore easier); Big credit reward; little exp reward; rewards will be given again only if you finish at a higher spot.
1. 800 bhp+ tuned cars at SSR5. 5 laps.
2. LMS cars at La Sarthe. 3 laps.
3. Rally cars on Eiger Short with rain. 5 laps.
​

I'll also add some seasonal special events.
1. Drag race.
2. 'Hunt The Rabbit' race on Nurburgring where there will be only one opponent - a white Mazda Furai which gets a headstart; and a few traffic cars (like in the AMG special event). You'll have to beat the Furai with a relatively heavier supercar like the Murci or Italia.
3. Drift competition with a target score to beat.​
 
I'd personally enjoy a race where you start in first with a 300hp car and you have 11 "higher" powered cars behind you trying to get past you.

Pretty much the complete opposite of previous seasonals.

Or a sliding scale, like if they would of continued with SE 1/2 difficulty but made the payouts/XP less for adding mods...if someone wants to race with 50% more HP then the competition they should get 50% less payout.
 
I wouldn't either, I would post an add in the notice board saying

''you are a bunch of ungrateful pricks and you get no more freebies, enjoy the wait for GT6''

lol
 
Premium car. Horsepower whatever or selectable
cockpit view
no driving line
No track info. Like in a car

Beginner - all driving aid on, any tires- decent pay out
intermediate- no driving aid, any tires- payout better
expert- no driving aid, pre selected tires like sport medium- payout like corvette and ferrari races from last event

Not all this way but maybe one out of the 4 or 5 events

Might satisfy a range of people
 
Last edited:
The two issues are money and difficulty. It is not possible to please everyone but this is what I would do:

Each race would have three difficulty settings, options and prizes:

1) Unrestricted (any mods to cars and tires, etc)
- Payout is done like Seasonal 7
***Intended for the newest players and those who want to repeat the events and still earn a little something for doing so.


2) Moderately Restricted (with several car options and significant tuning limits)
- Payout like past seasonal events: you get all the money and XP for all ranks below your placing and can only do so once.
*** 50-75% of people who have already completed A-spec should be able to gold these events.

3) Severely Ristricted (with fewer car options and a few more tuning limits than moderate level; AND NOW Damage is turned on, disqualifications are on for hitting AI or going off track (so you must drive clean), and all assists off (besides traction control and ABS)).
- Payout like past seasonal events: you get all the money and XP for all ranks below your placing and can only do so once (same amounts as for the Moderately Restricted Races, and if you have not already completed the Moderate Level Races, you also double up on the money you would have earned in the moderate level: i.e. you get double the payout, so the moderate level is counted as completed without actually having to do it separately). In addition if you place first you get a 1000 ticket, second gets you a chrome paint chip, and 3rd gets you a matte paint chip. You get all three at once if you get gold. If you gold every Extreme race of the seasonal: you win a gold chrome paint chip (or maybe they could make different colored chromes: pink chrome, purple chrome, etc and these would not be transferrable to any other PSN; in essence these would be prestige paint chips to show off your accomplishments).
*** These are intended to be very difficult and I would set it up so only about 10% of people actually gold the highest difficulty level.

All seasonals should also be put into a Past Seasonals Menu for play later and offline: but they no longer have any large payouts or prizes for the Moderate or Extreme levels, only the lower payouts of the Unrestricted level (which would also be the rewards for the moderate and extreme levels).
 
Tier 1: No restrictions, minimum rewards.
Tier 2: Some restrictions, rewards relative to the effort and time involved in choosing the right car, setting it up etc...
Tier 3: Massive restrictions, massive rewards

I like this although make or even something dynamic no tier, just allocate a percentage of credits/experience based on your setup.
 
Vram those are some good ones
 
There's been some seriously good ideas in here, very imaginative, well thought out and well written posts; I'm really beginning to like this forum :).

The idea about a petition to PD might not be such a good idea, the forum's big enough to have an effect, especially with all the "hardcore" players and the general mass of people that use this forum.

But right now, I think the next step is to create a thread with the best ideas from here with a poll, and see if any of them strike up a good response. I don't really feel like it's my place to take that on tbh, with me being a newcomer and such so are there any volunteers for such a thing to be created and advertised around the forum?

And I'd also like to say thankyou to everyone that's contributed to this thread, the ideas have all been great :). Keep them coming guys!
 
Back