If You Were to Buy a New Daily Driver...

  • Thread starter Thread starter buickgnx88
  • 117 comments
  • 7,071 views
Not a bloody Camaro. Hence the comment.
Its also (engine wise) a base Camaro. Compared to the base Challenger (50 less horsepower! 20 less pound feet of torque! A zillion more pounds!) and base Mustang (Engine sourced from an Aerostar. Much larger, yet somehow has no torque), its downright thrilling.
 
I'd drive an Evo X

2008-mitsubishi-lancer-evo-x-tmr-14.jpg

Same here, since the new STi sucks. I'd prefer a 2007 STi though...
 
C350 Sport Sedan. Pretty reasonably priced, great car.

c350.png
 
Configured my Mini (I forgot to add all-season tires for the smaller set of wheels, but no extra cost). I would have went all out with the Works performance upgrades, but the options add up fast.

CustomMini.jpg
 
Last edited:
For numbers sakes.

Dodge Challenger 3.5L V6 = 250bhp, 250tq, 3720lbs
Ford Mustang 4.0L V6 = 210bhp, 240tq, 3350lbs
Chevy Camaro 3.6L V6 = 300bhp, 270tq, 3741lbs

Maybe the Mustang isn't so underpowered in its base model eh? Being 400lbs heavier the Camaro V6 might not be as fast as we think. The Challenger V6 is at best going to be mediocre. Yes Ford needs more power from its V6 Mustang but the lighter weight actually helps it here. The V6 Mustang is quite spritely actually and makes a pleasant noise for a V6.
 
My guess is that they ditch the old V6 in the next year or two, and opt-up to the new 2.0L EcoBoost I4 (power output of at least 260 BHP). Do that, and heck yes, shes going to fly (and cause me to want to buy one).
 
What's wrong with a simple 3.5L Duratec engine for the base Mustang? 265bhp ~250tq not enough? :D
 
No problems from me, but I'm not sure if it mounts in or not?
 
Same here, since the new STi sucks. I'd prefer a 2007 STi though...

Yea, I prefer that look than the new one too. And the one buggy eyes also
 
JCE
Maybe the Mustang isn't so underpowered in its base model eh?
Its also a completely awful engine, lighter weight or not. I'd imagine that they might actually be close in speed. But one has a Cadillac engine, and one has an engine famously used in the Ford Ranger.

YSSMAN
No problems from me, but I'm not sure if it mounts in or not?
They are putting a variant in the F-150, so it should.
 
Its also a completely awful engine, lighter weight or not. I'd imagine that they might actually be close in speed. But one has a Cadillac engine, and one has an engine famously used in the Ford Ranger.

Definitely agree about the 4.0 being an utter pile of garbage...


In fact, I'd have rather seen Ford keep with the 3.8 pushrod; head gasket eating aside it was a good, if underpowered, motor.
 
Either a Focus or a C4 Coupe, I think. Both diesel probably.

Much smaller than that and I feel either unsafe or have a panic attack in the middle of shopping at IKEA. Much bigger and... well I'm just wasting money and fuel to be honest.

Those are fairly feasible choices (in that I could afford to insure and run them, if not buy in the first place :p).


Being stupid, though, I'd buy a Legacy. Petrol. Quick, anonymous and stylish. Lovely :)
 
Either a Focus or a C4 Coupe, I think. Both diesel probably.

Do you have a car at the moment? I remember you were searching a while back, but my memory fails me on whether you made a decision or not...
 
Focus Diesel? Wonderful. Try and find a new-generation one with a manual. The new suspension manages to disguise the weight of the big diesel engine better than on the previous model... making it feel lighter, despite the added weight.

---

Ford's V6? Peak power at a measly 5000 rpm and a 6000 rpm redline? Might as well be a diesel. May be good enough for commuting, but with the looks, you want a 7000 rpm motor with at least 80 more horsepower to give it the same excitement. Ford can't introduce the 3.5 in the Mustang soon enough... even if they stick with the naturally aspirated one for the base models.

:drool: If only Ford sold these in the US.

Which is one of the few reasons I'm glad I don't live there... :lol: ...though if I did, my salary (at a comparable job to what I do now) would probably allow me to sidestep that fact.
 
Do you have a car at the moment? I remember you were searching a while back, but my memory fails me on whether you made a decision or not...

Me personally? Nah. Nearly bought my sister's Ka but I didn't fit in it 👎. I'm waiting until I know what's going on with Unis until I decide to go and buy anything (if I get into Leeds and buy a Smart Fortwo, for example, I'm screwed). Currently just driving my mum's... C4 diesel. What? I like it, ok? :p
 
Was going to second (third?) the Evo X, but if I had to pick a new car for everyday driving, it would probably be one of these. In fact, my next "good" car down the line is probably gonna be an older one of these, or an unmolested R33 GTR.

melbourne-motor-show-2008-2-big.jpg


Comfortable, RWD, 4 litre I6, Garrett gt3540 turbo, 360 hp on not very much boost, pretty large aftermarket, what's not to like? (Fuel economy when you're on it, but you gotta pay to play)
 
I'd personally go for the new Vauxhall VXR8. It now has 6.2 litres, which is an increase by 0.2.

vauxhall-vxr8-ls312.jpg


By the way, to the Americans, it's the Pontiac G8. And for the Australians it's the HSV Clubsport.
 
VI.jpg


160 bhp 1.4 litre.. Great fuel economy, good to drive (I brought home a VI before any of the salesmen could), comfortable, good sound system, etc etc. Yes yes yes :)
 
If I were you, I'd wait for the twincharger engine in the upcoming Polo...
 
what I want to see is twincharger engine in Lupo. or the rumored Audi S1.
 
-> If I like a long haul cruiser...

Pontiac G8 GXP {6M/T} sport sedan '09
2009-pontiac-g8-gxp.jpg


^ Another good alternative to my S2K (for a DD). Smooth, powerful, simple, easy to mod, easy to drift, and equally fun. ;)
 
If money were no object:
techart-cayman.jpg

gaa looks like this doesn't work (it was a porsche cayman s which i would modify with twin turbos)

But more realistically:
2008-infiniti-g37-coupe.jpg
 
Last edited:
253566.1-lg.jpg


Definitely A challenger, but I'd prefer not to buy any new cars. If I was really looking for another daily driver, with better gas mileage as well, i'd look for a 64-66 Valiant Wagon with a Slant-Six.
 
-> I have another one in mind. Too bad we don't have it here in the US or in the Philippines:

Honda Stream RSZ {5M/T} mpv '09
500400_f520.jpg


^ Another good alternative to my S2K (for a DD). Smooth, multi-passenger, simple, easy to park, easy to haul, and equally fun. :)
 
Equally fun as your S2000? Really? :lol: I like the Stream but it's not quite an S2000...
 
-> ...
Equally fun as your S2000? Really? :lol: I like the Stream but it's not quite an S2000...
^ It is not quite my S2000 in the fun factor, but in the mini-minivan world it is fun. :dopey:
 
-> ...

^ It is not quite my S2000 in the fun factor, but in the mini-minivan world it is fun. :dopey:
Technically it's not a minivan, or a mini-minivan, or a mini-mini-minivan or whatever, because it doesn't have sliding doors.
 
^ ...or you can call it an mpv (aka. multi purpose vehicle) just like in Euroland. ;)
 
BMW E92 M3.
wp_bmw_e92-m3_05.jpg


Promptly followed by the M480 Concept Kit. :D
 
Back