If you're looking for career mode, beware

• Thread starter Shimmery
  • 61 comments
New Zealand
New Zealand
If career mode is the thing you're seeking most from GT7, maybe have a think before buying because the game unlocked in NZ this morning, I played 2.5 hours and progress has been WAY too fast. I just joined and posted in case I can save anyone a regretted purchased depending on what you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, the racing is great, but the career mode is a shadow of what it was.

I remember in the early GTs getting a new car was an achievement, tweaking your current car so that it could stay competitive was critical and the choice of what car to buy next was impactful because you'd be using it for a while and you needed to go for something that would open up new competitions and be competitive in them. It really felt like you were climbing up the ranks.

GT 7 seems to just shotgun gift cars at you a bit like GT Sport did - I completed the Cafe menus for 2.5 hours and "won" more than 20 cars, most of them usable in races. In addition, I had gained enough money to purchase low end lambos, aston martins etc. In a "career" mode, that should take me days if not weeks. In fact, the starting money is 2/3 of the way to a low end lambo/aston.

I guess it might just be the starting experience as the OG career mode would probably scare a lot of people away today, but this is NOT the career mode I remember fondly and picked up GT7 to play.

20 cars in three hours is about what you'd get in Gran Turismo 2 if you won each race on first attempt. You could do it in the original Gran Turismo as well, and that had prize cars locked behind championships. I don't think this is necessarily a deal breaker, or abnormal for a GT game.

Edit: Personally I would prefer getting more cars later, than getting heaps of cheap crap early then being high and dry when it comes to acquiring cars you actually want (which is why GT Sport's prize system was so busted - after 20 days you just got flooded with worthless prizes you couldn't sell and didn't need).

Last edited:
If career mode is the thing you're seeking most from GT7, maybe have a think before buying because the game unlocked in NZ this morning, I played 2.5 hours and progress has been WAY too fast. I just joined and posted in case I can save anyone a regretted purchased depending on what you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, the racing is great, but the career mode is a shadow of what it was.

I remember in the early GTs getting a new car was an achievement, tweaking your current car so that it could stay competitive was critical and the choice of what car to buy next was impactful because you'd be using it for a while and you needed to go for something that would open up new competitions and be competitive in them. It really felt like you were climbing up the ranks.

GT 7 seems to just shotgun gift cars at you a bit like GT Sport did - I completed the Cafe menus for 2.5 hours and "won" more than 20 cars, most of them usable in races. In addition, I had gained enough money to purchase low end lambos, aston martins etc. In a "career" mode, that should take me days if not weeks. In fact, the starting money is 2/3 of the way to a low end lambo/aston.

I guess it might just be the starting experience as the OG career mode would probably scare a lot of people away today, but this is NOT the career mode I remember fondly and picked up GT7 to play.
According to people GT7 is a slow grind and hard to get moneys and cars…

In a different game or mode, I wouldn't mind that. But GT7 touted the return of CAREER MODE. It's hardly a simulation of a career if 2.5 hours after I start I've got a garage packed with 20 cars and enough money to buy a Lambo.
..but why is that a bad thing? It's a car game. Don't you want to drive cars?

..but why is that a bad thing? It's a car game. Don't you want to drive cars?
If I wanted to just get in and drive, old GT had ARCADE mode. You could do exactly that. GT7 touted the return of CAREER mode, where i want to feel I have EARNED cars. I'm not saying it is a bad game - the racing is great. I am saying that if you are looking for a challenging career mode that actually feels like you are building a career from scabby starter cars, look a bit more closely.

Seems kind of typical for every GT game from 4 onwards. GT5 stalled you a bit with the levels, though. GT3 was probably the last time the career mode felt very slow for me.

GT 7 seems to just shotgun gift cars at you a bit like GT Sport did - I completed the Cafe menus for 2.5 hours and "won" more than 20 cars, most of them usable in races. In addition, I had gained enough money to purchase low end lambos, aston martins etc. In a "career" mode, that should take me days if not weeks.
Wait until you reach the Menu Books with 200k+ cars.

You get slow, crap cars like candy really early on. It slows up a bit the further you get. I'm on Menu Book 31 now and just got my 50th car...

So many want so many different things. He wants slower progression, you want better AI, someone out there wants raytracing at 30fps, and me? I just wanna get good.
Sure, but not wanting cars in a car game just strikes me as odd. Why you'd want to take weeks to just get a handful of cars I have no idea, but to each their own I guess. I also don't recall the older games being that slow, but it's been a long time.

I fondly remember my first steps in GT1 career mode all those years ago. I slowly grinded my black Supra into an almost undrivable monster at the Sunday Cup. Now I can go into a fresh GT1 career and be driving a Cerbera LM in maybe 2-3 hours.

My point is that GT games have always thrown the good stuff at you if your skills were up to it.

Eks
Seems kind of typical for every GT game from 4 onwards. GT5 stalled you a bit with the levels, though. GT3 was probably the last time the career mode felt very slow for me.
That could explain it - I only seem to play the odd numbers and GT3 was certainly the one I played the most. I had GT5 but it came out at a time in my life when I couldn't put much time into it and GT sport I found very shallow but hey, had to pick up something on the PS4. The reason I was so excited for 7 was that they made a big deal of returning to "career mode", but it is incredibly pasted on.

The reviews I've heard say that the game hits you with a firehose of cars at first, but that it then starts to slow to a trickle, and you really have to grind for new cars.

I actually have the opposite worry that you do, one that dovetails with my concerns over the microtransactions: that the game is following a classic model of free-to-play games. They throw tons of content at you in the early game to get you hooked, building up your character, base, home, farm, or (in this case) garage enough that you're seriously invested in progressing further... just in time for them to hit you with a steep difficulty curve where you have to start grinding for money, XP, or whatever else you need to progress. That option to buy your way through suddenly starts to look really tempting. Grand Theft Auto Online did this in slow-motion, with newer content updates increasingly focused on very expensive vehicles, weapons, and properties for you to buy.

I suspect that Sony and PD are deliberately holding back some really hotly-desired hypercars and classics for future updates, letting players build up their garages now before they hit the grind wall, and then tempting them to spend real money by adding in, say, the McLaren P1.

See therein lies the problem. You're expecting GT7 to be like GT1-4 then you'll be disappointed for sure. Instead of dwelling on your past experiences with the series, why not be more open to the present of GT?
Sigh. If I have to say it again, I'll say it again. I like the racing, the races are great. BUT I was looking forward to GT7 because they explicitly said that GT7 would have a return to career mode and it doesn't.

They could have kept everybody happy by including it alongside an arcade mode that let people immediately have access to a range of cars and tracks if that's what they wanted. That would be absolutely trivial to implement - all of the hard work has already been done and you're just controlling how access to content is released. Or they could have had a "difficulty" attached to the career mode separate to the racing difficulty. Again, trivial to implement.

I see the post above saying that what they're actually targeting is post purchase transactions, and I fear that might be the true answer; it is pretty bloody despicable to be selling in game currency for a premium priced game from day one for example.

And I stand by my original warning - the racing in GT7 is great but ALL of the commentary here is something that people should be aware of before making purchasing decisions given that the "critic" reviews are so overwhelmingly positive.

But I thought were cynically holding back cars to drive us to microtransactions cos' PD and Kaz are evil etc. etc. which was the main narrative here yesterday?

Now it's too easy and it throws cars at you...

But the same people will have nothing to say.

Hmm. I’m just hoping the ‘hard’ difficulty setting is hard enough to make it feel rewarding when I do win cars.

I get what OP is saying. I’m yet to play the game, so I can’t really offer my opinion on whether they’re right about it, but I am in the same boat in that I want to have to put some real work in and spend time on considered upgrades before I actually start winning races.

I still might be ok. I’ve never really raced online to gauge my skills against other players so I could be a terrible driver in comparison for all I know 😆

Last edited:
I agree with the OP, but I need more time to see how it all works. Hopefully the game slows itself down and stops trying to be a Pokemon game.

So far, the Career mode is throwing cars at me. I don't need to enter a Cafe Menu race and receive a car for doing a two lap race.

I started with $1.6m Credit for buying the 25th Anniversary addition, and that amount of absurd for this game.

Really, the bottom line is: It should take you about 5 hours before you have your first 400-500hp car.

I understand your point, in GT3 and 4, progress starts out slow and eventually... doesn't really speed up. In games like Tokyo Highway Challenge, you build up one starting car for half the game, until you can afford a second faster one and that's about it.
I'm still downloading GT7 as I write, but if I end up with 30 cars in a few hours, I'm not too concerned, that seems about fair for a game with car prices spanning four orders of magnitude. My progression concerns would be if I won an LMP for no reason as a login bonus this week, or if there was no way to earn over 3M Cr/h after S license, dozens of menus and 15-lap expert races.

In GT4, it was possible to get the RSC Rally Raid car as a prize car and sell it for 250K before even having entered the Sunday Cup at all. All you needed to do was complete the National B & A licenses and the Capri Rally. Less than an hour of gameplay if I'm not mistaken.

In GT5, there was an entire career mode worth of B-spec events that all gave you prize cars. You could get at least 50 prize cars for literally doing nothing.

In GT6 it was possible to finish the career mode without ever winning any races, and you still got prize cars for progressing that way.

In GT7... you get slightly more prize cars at the beginning of the game than you would expect, I guess? But then again you don't get a lot of prize money. And you can't sell those cars.

In fact, the starting money is 2/3 of the way to a low end lambo/aston.
Must be a pretty low end Lambo/Aston if it sells for 30K.

Last edited:
How many races do you have in career mode compared to GT4? a lot less or still a lot ?
also, no aspect points to try to win all 200 pts or something similar to add difficulty ?

The reviews I've heard say that the game hits you with a firehose of cars at first, but that it then starts to slow to a trickle, and you really have to grind for new cars.

I actually have the opposite worry that you do, one that dovetails with my concerns over the microtransactions: that the game is following a classic model of free-to-play games. They throw tons of content at you in the early game to get you hooked, building up your character, base, home, farm, or (in this case) garage enough that you're seriously invested in progressing further... just in time for them to hit you with a steep difficulty curve where you have to start grinding for money, XP, or whatever else you need to progress. That option to buy your way through suddenly starts to look really tempting. Grand Theft Auto Online did this in slow-motion, with newer content updates increasingly focused on very expensive vehicles, weapons, and properties for you to buy.

I suspect that Sony and PD are deliberately holding back some really hotly-desired hypercars and classics for future updates, letting players build up their garages now before they hit the grind wall, and then tempting them to spend real money by adding in, say, the McLaren P1.
that would not match Kaz or PD's philosophy. you have tons of ways to earn credits. missions, arcade, licence, gt cafe, ticket earned by gt cafe etc.

In GT7... you get slightly more prize cars at the beginning of the game than you would expect, I guess? But then again you don't get a lot of prize money. And you can't sell those cars.
you get for example for every menu of GT Cafe a car, after you've completed the menu. that makes 3 cars allready which you can use for further races. after you finish the menu, you get a reward ticket with drop system. if you lucky you get one more car. that means, you can actually collect your credits as there is no need to buy another car to complete these event.

Sure, but not wanting cars in a car game just strikes me as odd. Why you'd want to take weeks to just get a handful of cars I have no idea, but to each their own I guess. I also don't recall the older games being that slow, but it's been a long time.
Am I right in thinking that you'd rather have all content available from the beginning? No money, free car parts, just races that give you trophies?
Genuinely curious.

Back