If you're looking for career mode, beware

• Thread starter Shimmery
  • 61 comments
you get for example for every menu of GT Cafe a car, after you've completed the menu. that makes 3 cars allready which you can use for further races. after you finish the menu, you get a reward ticket with drop system. if you lucky you get one more car. that means, you can actually collect your credits as there is no need to buy another car to complete these event.
But not all events give you cars, and the menus seem to get harder to complete the further you progress.

If we want a true comparison, we'll have to find out how many races are in the game and calculate prize car/race ratios for the main line games.

But that doesn't change the fact that you could win at least a quarter of a million before even starting the Sunday Cup in GT4, or that GT5 gave you dozens of prize cars for letting the AI race itself.

I will forever be baffled at people complaining they're given cars to drive in a car driving game and would prefer it didn't.
It's not that people don't like gift cars, it's just the pace at which they're given. If they're being given to you faster than you can actually drive them for even a modest amount of time, it's like slow down... let me at least take a sip of my drink before you bring me three extra refills, sheesh. lol

Last edited:
I can understand OPs complaint. It was fun having to make a decision which car to buy at the start of the career. Progression and difficulty are two extremely important factors for a sense of achievement and it seems GT7 has gotten both of them wrong to be honest.

Both have to be very finely balanced. Too fast progression and it feels like you're cheating and you dont get to make any meaningfull choices, you're just along for the ride (pun intended). Too slow and it gets frustrating.

Difficulty is highly personal because peoples driving skills vary greatly but it also depends on the amount of challenge that person is in the mood for. When I'm tired I'm not looking for a big challenge for example. That why it very important for a game to offer options for customizing the difficulty and it seems GT7 doesnt cater to the more skilled end of the spectrum.

After 25 years of experience you'd expect them to nail this part..

I get OP's point too. I pre-ordered the game and I know I will have 100.000cr at start, and I am already thinking about spending them in a very unuseful way to get rid of it, to get a slow start, with a lame car and slowly get it better, win units along the way, buy a less crapy car, update it, win more races and so on.

I want to savor this new GT, slowly and not be thrown luxury sport cars just for the sake of driving 40km. I am ok to win cars as reward after an event, and it should be a car related to the event too.

I intend to play tonight and to take my time to appreciate it. Don't want to be spoiled with cars within minutes of playing (and I have cars included in the pre-order too if I remember well).

And I understand people that don't feel that way.

In life in general I tend to appreciate more the things that asked me to be patient and work to obtain them, rather than those which fallen in my open mouth.

I kind of get the same feeling.

I mean, who really cares about a Japanese hatchback with 80 bhp?

We all want the fastest cars, the most beautiful cars...nobody cares about racing camper vans.

If you cut away that filler you lose a good 35-40% of the total cars on offer.

The biggest issue with the campaign is the sheer amount of linearity imposed by the cafe. I’m five hours in and the classic sandbox feeling is really lacking. Progress is strictly guided by objectives which are mandatory for pushing the game forward. It’s not a bad campaign per se, but the menu cards are far too invasive for their shallow contributions to the narrative.

Are you saying you want to drive those cars?
Absolutely, especially in this game.

One of the things GT provides is a varied selection of cool road cars, particularly cool JDM variants. They are hugely popular in the fandom and really fun to race online with friends.

Also, in a broader simracing context there are other games that will always do the GT3/GTE/Open wheel/supercars a little better. GT is just as much about car culture as it is about just racing the fastest shiniest thing.

Last edited:
The biggest issue with the campaign is the sheer amount of linearity imposed by the cafe. I’m five hours in and the classic sandbox feeling is really lacking. Progress is strictly guided by objectives which are mandatory for pushing the game forward. It’s not a bad campaign per se, but the menu cards are far too invasive for their shallow contributions to the narrative.
This absolutely nails my issues with it. I wanted to be forced to pick a slow car and slowly earn credits to upgrade it by competing in various races like in the old GT games but instead I'm given a list of cars and then forced into set events to unlock them. It's far too linear IMO.

I dont like it YET. Because it's a new approach, and it is always hard to adjust to the new from 25 years of memory. I think the format may grow on me but the first hour i've played left me feeling hmmmm not sure about this. It does look stunning tho and the super quick loading is a god send. It is also really polished I must say. I'll report back in a week but i'm open to the chance i'm going to love this game soon! I hope so anyway!

Last edited:
I feel like the way you unlock cars isn't balanced at all in GT7. The game throws free cars at you in the career/menus and you don't have to start looking for ways of buying them to participate in new events. On the other hand I haven't got a single car from the tickets, even the ones with 3-4 stars. That's a pretty big downgrade from GTS. I didn't expect to get daily cars, but it would be nice to win a few from the tickets instead of (mostly) laughable cash prizes.

Last edited:
I will forever be baffled at people complaining they're given cars to drive in a car driving game and would prefer it didn't.
That's not the issue, the issue is how quickly and easily they are given. Some people prefer a more difficult gameplay that requires you to carefully select the cars and tuning parts you need in order to progress through the game. If everything is just thrown at you for just doing an easy race or whatever and it all is just a walk in the park it ruins the feeling of achievement, and your cars dont feel valuable at all.

There is enough games where you start and you immediately have access to all the cars and tracks, but GT used to be different, and many people liked GT because of that very reason.

I don't think its THAT bad with GT7 but it sure feels easy compared to GT1 or GT2, just started the game and my garage and wallet are already freaking exploding.

Last edited:
Absolutely, especially in this game.

One of the things GT provides is a varied selection of cool road cars, particularly cool JDM variants. They are hugely popular in the fandom and really fun to race online with friends.

Also, in a broader simracing context there are other games that will always do the GT3/GTE/Open wheel/supercars a little better. GT is just as much about car culture as it is about just racing the fastest shiniest thing.
Each to their own, I just prefer racing the cars that provide a challenge.

return of CAREER MODE
Personally I've never had the impression early GT's ever had a career mode in the traditional sense.

I suppose you could call that portion of the game that, but I've just seen it as races to race in order to advance.

Am I right in thinking that you'd rather have all content available from the beginning? No money, free car parts, just races that give you trophies?
Genuinely curious.
No? I'm saying I have no problem with the game giving you cars as you progress through it. Isn't that what progression is? There are 424 cars in the game, you get at a maximum about 80 cars given to you over 20-25 hours of single player game. I see absolutely zero problem with that.

Last edited:
Personally I've never had the impression early GT's ever had a career mode in the traditional sense.

I suppose you could call that portion of the game that, but I've just seen it as races to race in order to advance.

Yeah, my memory may be hazy here, but sure it was the same thing - had to do most races in a set order. There is room for some variation in this game, other races you can do, although you do have to do the Cafe stuff to keep bringing fresh stuff in - but its not any more linear than older GT's iirc.

I get the mental thing about being spoilt, but people who don't want to use certain cars/buy certain vehicles don;t have to as such - you can just ignore most of them, use them later on. Or just pretend you were never given them and buy them again when you have the credits :D/ But obviously will need to do odd cafe race if you want to open tracks, other features up. But thats no different to other GT's iirc.

PD have to cater for casual gamers too and making it a complete grind would p1ss many off. Or those that can only play for a couple hours a week. In fact we have some complaining on here that cars are too hard to obtain without grinding.

Last edited:
I just feel like actually people who talk about this (either tolerating or criticizing GT for "being new") forgot about the GT experience due to not experiencing it again for long time, 9 years since last time a traditional GT was released. Only talking about the Gift Cars here, not the linearity provided by the Cafe or such.

GT1-6 had prize cars for almost every single events! Including any of the starter events like Sunday Cup and Clubman Cup. I'd want to hear the explanations of why GT7 got slammed for implementing what every traditional GT games have done.... other than irrational nostalgia reasons ofc....

To be specific, while other GT games give prize cars after completing a series of events (e.g. all races in Sunday Cup), GT7 giving prize car from single races means the system is similar to games like GT2, which was also the one that gives prize cars for single races. As seen here in the prize car list of GT2:

http://www.gtseriescenter.com/GT2prizecars.htm

GT2 may not give prize cars for Sunday and Clubman Cup (but GT7 too, had single races that had prize cars and had other single races that doesn't have prize cars), but to any other races the prize car system was like GT7's now. The Championships in GT7? It also has the prize cars chosen between several cars just like those older GTs, only that you're selecting the car based on face dpwn card instead of being randomized by the system.

Last edited:
I kind of get the same feeling.

I mean, who really cares about a Japanese hatchback with 80 bhp?

We all want the fastest cars, the most beautiful cars...nobody cares about racing camper vans.

If you cut away that filler you lose a good 35-40% of the total cars on offer.
I am looking to collect all of the cars and spend time hitting them with a widebody kit , new wheels and a wing and then work a nice livery on them

Last night, I finished career mode (cofe missions). I earned trophy ending movie. They were fun IMHO. I don't think it's short, because there is such more to do in game other than that. New tracks to train and master them, Missions, hunting trophies, saving Cr. for new cars, online races.... etc.

I'm old school GT1,2,3,4,5 fan, and definetly like the game play of GT7. It's fun with stunning visuals.

Last edited:
Last night, I finished career mode (cofe missions). I earned trophy ending movie. They were fun IMHO. I don't think it's short, because there is such more to do in game other than that. New tracks to train and master them, Missions, hunting trophies, saving Cr. for new cars, online races.... etc.

I'm old school GT1,2,3,4,5 fan, and definetly like the game play of GT7. It's fun with stunning visuals.
That's always what GT is about, to get the ending movie you only need to clear the GT World Championship. Getting the credits to roll are never the end of those GTs (the end for GT4 is getting black Formula GT, as it's given for 100%-ing the game), and GT7's like that too.

Is it just me that thinks the menu's are just the intro to unlock the circuits and the subsequent events at each of them which is more the career mode?

It is split in to 2 things, race performance (cups you'll win) and the collector points side of the game? The menus seem to be helping you progress the collector side of things but aren't doing that much on the actual racing career side? I am menu 30 something now and have absolute loads of actual races on each circuit to do over the coming months and years.

That's not the issue, the issue is how quickly and easily they are given. Some people prefer a more difficult gameplay that requires you to carefully select the cars and tuning parts you need in order to progress through the game. If everything is just thrown at you for just doing an easy race or whatever and it all is just a walk in the park it ruins the feeling of achievement, and your cars dont feel valuable at all.

There is enough games where you start and you immediately have access to all the cars and tracks, but GT used to be different, and many people liked GT because of that very reason.

I don't think its THAT bad with GT7 but it sure feels easy compared to GT1 or GT2, just started the game and my garage and wallet are already freaking exploding.
Gt2 grind is way more easier then gt7. You will easily drain money when you start upgrading those cars.

I have to echo what a lot of people are saying tbf...In previous iterations of GT you had to be a lot more discerning about what car you chose to buy (looking ahead at what championships and regulations you would have to deal with, and look for something that would be eligible for as many as possible) and once you had the car you had to be picky about how you upgraded it in order to get the best result for the money. And even then replay earlier rounds in order to put the next set of tyres on, or uprate your brakes. It now is far too easy to throw money at a car you didn't even have to pay for, and not have to plan things in advance. It loses a massive amount of the sense of ownership that GT was so good at, and which made it stand apart from other games. It's a shame tbf. The game is still enjoyable, but it's not unfair to say that it's lost some of what made it unique and appealing.

Latest Posts

Back