ilikewaffles11's Toyotas

Thanks! I totally agree, I'm a huge fan of boxy 80s cars. Love the engine in it to boot.
I'm contemplating buying a 1985 BMW 5-er to strip and rebuild. Love the classic look!

My first car was a 1979 RX-7. Not boxy, but still massively angular. Miss that car...

I'm contemplating buying a 1985 BMW 5-er to strip and rebuild. Love the classic look!

My first car was a 1979 RX-7. Not boxy, but still massively angular. Miss that car...

That'd be interesting, I'd like to see that if you go through with it. I agree, I love old 5 Series!

Old Japanese cars just look awesome in general. I'd love to drive one of those, or at least any sort of rotary. Would love to own an FC.

That'd be interesting, I'd like to see that if you go through with it. I agree, I love old 5 Series!

Old Japanese cars just look awesome in general. I'd love to drive one of those, or at least any sort of rotary. Would love to own an FC.
It was such a nice car to drive. You could definitely tell it was very lightweight.

I believe that! The FB had a solid rear axle no?
Pass? All I know is you could shift lock the rears coming into a tight corner and get some really fun sideways action going on! Used to light up the rears into third gear, and that's with the stock engine!! Had one scary moment in a very wet passing lane on a highway in New Zealand, when I pulled out to pass a car and found the rear end drifting at 100kph to the point where I was looking at the car I was meant to be passing! A little dab on the brakes and a little countersteer and she was back in line again, but just such crazy behaviour! I guess just the massive lack of weight over the rears!!

I didn't realize how longs it's been since I last posted and didn't realize I had this many photos so be prepeared for a huge post

So the '90 Celica I recently went to town on the front end of
IMG_0113.JPG

New ball joints, sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods, and a front eight wheel bearing. Frustratingly, when I was tightening the ball joints when putting the knuckle back on a piece of the knuckle fell off (seriously, it's just fell off) and I had to buy a new knuckle off of eBay which is off of a GT, so no hole for the wheel speed sensor. Already had a GT knuckle on it before hand so whatever.
IMG_0114.JPG

Then time to align, although the camber is off but it needs struts so im gonna hold off on adjusting it until I do them.
IMG_0115.JPG

Toe desperately needed to be done though :lol:
IMG_0116.JPG

After straightening the wheel, front right was straight..
IMG_0117.JPG

Compared to the left. Was wondering why it felt like it was fighting me when I moved it to a different spot
IMG_0118.JPG

And then back to summer tires!
IMG_0119.JPG

The GT-S' together
IMG_0139.JPG

With snow
IMG_0149.JPG

Repainting this for my MR2, got this from a junkyard. Stripped the paint just need to find some high temp paint online for the lettering which I'll do by hand.
IMG_0150.JPG

More snow
IMG_0186.JPG

Arse
IMG_0191.JPG

Lots of snow :(
IMG_0209.JPG

The truck worked like a charm through it though, was pretty happy about that. I love driving through snow in this thing.
IMG_0210.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

Too artsy
IMG_0214.JPG

Jumped the gun on those summer tires a bit. Took a week before I could get it back out
IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0228.JPG

IMG_0282.JPG

Yesterday I put 'performance' shifter bushings on the 1990 which turned into a project. The bushings are an extremely tight fit, and was a major pain in the ass with very little room to get any sort of tool in to get them on.

I ended up having to unbolt the bracket with the one bushing on it which required the air box, one motor mount, and a few other pieces being removed to access the bolts for. The stupid thing fought me all the way.
IMG_0588.JPG

Luckily, it wasn't for nothing as the shifter is noticeably tighter now and it turns out the annoying clunking in the front end was because two of the bolt in the motor mount were loose!

Another plus, this bushing sits on the bracket I unbolted which actuates the one cable, and is understandably quite worn out after 238k miles, but you can rotate it so the non worn edges are touching. I remember doing the same thing on an MR2 that came into work which is why I knew to do this, so that's a little bonus.
IMG_0589.JPG

Now I just need to drill out the bolts that broke off that hold the air box in and rethread them..

A total toe of 6.66º? No need to change that, it's a great story to tell car folk over at the local Cars & Coffee meet.

"I have the Devil's Celica! Bask in its darkness!"

:lol:

SVX
New front and rear corners look the part. ;) :D

Of course! :D

I meant to throw the mirrors on this Sunday but ended up driving the MR2 for several hours instead.. :P

A total toe of 6.66º? No need to change that, it's a great story to tell car folk over at the local Cars & Coffee meet.

"I have the Devil's Celica! Bask in its darkness!"

:lol:

By how much of a pain in the ass this car has been for me, it certainly seems that way. :lol:

I still love it

I bought a new truck as I'm sure some of you have seen, but first some other stuff I'll throw on spoilers for page size reasons.

Nice weather is finally here so I've been getting the fun stuff out! I'm so happy to drive this again.
IMG_0600.JPG

Started working on it a bit and replaced the headlights with normal halogens instead of those dumb halo lights it had and removed the wiring, replaced the trunk struts, and sorted a few pieces of misaligned trim.
IMG_0604.JPG

Currently sitting down at work so that I on Thursday my friend can come down and help me weld up the exhaust holes so I can actually use the thing!
IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

Radio stopped working though for no reason
IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

And my favorite! I've forgotten how much damn fun this thing is!
IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG

Talked to somebody my dad knows who's does windshields who's looking into getting me a new one.
IMG_0631.JPG

Those Watanabes should be arriving this weekend, although I don't have time to get them this weekend. I'm waiting on lug nuts anyway.
IMG_0636.JPG

Interesting group of cars in the driveway the other day
IMG_0660.JPG

And tires for the MR2! Tirerack has a $100 rebate on these right now so im probably gonna get some for my '86 Celica as well. Falken Azenis RT615K+ In 205/50/15, super excited to throw these on.
IMG_0669.JPG

So the new truck! This is a base model 1986 4Runner 5 speed with the 2.4 22RE like my other one. Pretty much a stripper model, no sunroof, no tach/basic instrument cluster, manual locks and windows, base seats and interior trim, steel wheels. Only a bit of rust on the fenders, the frame is solid.
IMG_0676.JPG

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0677.JPG

So what's it need and why the hell do I need another one? I want something that's a reliable daily driver that's alright on gas and is good in the snow, so what better than a first gen 4Runner? My other one is a nicely optioned truck in good shape so I hate to ruin it in PA winters. This is ideal as it was cheap and needs some work and overall is in decent condition, but it's rough enough that I'm alright with using it in the winter.

It needs a solid amount of work mechanically which I prefer to body work. First and foremost, it needs clutch hydraulics as it doesn't wanna get in gear most of the time. But bigger than that, it likely needs a head gasket judging by the milky oil. The engine needs all new seals as it leaks oil from everywhere. I don't know everything it needs, though I plan on buying a rebuild kit and going over it. While it's apart I'll replace the plastic factory timing chain guides with an aftermarket metal set as that's a common issue on this engine. There was mention of something in the front axle needing work, though with it not being driveable I'll have to figure that out afterwards and it's also possible it was just Meineke being crappy and trying to sell unnecessary stuff as usual.

IMG_0681.JPG

Rest of the stuff is pretty minor. I started chipping away at the interior which is absolutely disgusting. First order was to remove the stupid side steps and rethread the license plate bolt holes, but after that I started to hit the the interior.

The carpets and center console are covered in crumbs and the console is crusted with spilled coffee and.. who knows what else. I removed the seats to find that the passenger seat adjustment handle to slide it front/back has a broken cable so it doesn't move, so I'll have to steal them from my dads plow truck.

Gross carpets
IMG_0683.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

Removed the carpet and vacuumed it which helped a lot though it still needs to be shampooed along with the seats. The interior smells like a barn thanks to all the leaves, dirt, and other crap stuffed in the seats and under the rear bench and the carpets.
IMG_0685.JPG

The rear bench was piled with dirt and leaves underneath as was the carpet. Before I can remove the mat that covers the rest of the truck (no carpet past bench because base), I need to crawl in the back to try and fix the rear window as it doesn't roll down. In order to unlock the rear hatch and drop the tailgate the window needs to be rolled down.
IMG_0686.JPG

So I'll work on cleaning up all the front interior pieces in the meantime. The seats I still need to remove the trim on the side and clean the dirt out of there as it's extremely filthy in the rails and behind that trim. Even all of the fasteners need to be cleaned..

IMG_0687.JPG

And I'm currently waiting on a drivers side window regulator as it's broken, so I have blocks of wood holding it up for the time being. Once the interior is fully gutted, I can finish vacuuming the remaining dirt and leaves out, clean the dash and all the trim still on the truck, then after cleaning all of the trim I removed I can throw it all back together. Luckily the interior on this is super basic and easy to take apart and put back together, cleaning it all up and getting the smell out will be the most time consuming part, though I've got a good head start.

What are the buttons on the Celica steering wheel?

One thing I need to drive is an AW11. I hear they are good fun because they are lighter than the SW20.

What are the buttons on the Celica steering wheel?

One thing I need to drive is an AW11. I hear they are good fun because they are lighter than the SW20.

Cruise control, the MK3 Supra is set up the same way. Though oddly to turn the cruise control off you have to press a button way down by the radio.

The AW11 is an absolute blast to drive, by far my favorite car. The SW20 is also great to drive, but it's such a different experience from an AW11. The SW20 is much more refined, but I find the more raw experience of the AW11 more rewarding and fun.

So it's been a while. Here's an update I guess, I'm sure I'm only gonna be able to remember a fraction of everything that's happened in the past year.

90s stuff, last year I drove the hell out of my 1990 Celica GT-S and finally decided I'd sell it to my dad so that I could buy it back from him in the future. I've enjoyed the hell out of driving this thing and I'm gonna miss driving it everyday, but I'll have it again someday. One of my favorite cars I've owned.
IMG_0043.JPG

Supra is still kicking around. Got it out more last year than the previous year, and fixed a few minor things so that's a start
IMG_0069.JPG

80s performance lineup
IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0202.JPG

MR2 has been slowly being improved upon, and I'm not sure if it had the Black Racing wheels on it last time I posted. Slightly larger 15x6 wheels, Black Racing wheels being a copy of a Watanabe RS8, it's still a super light weight forged wheel. Got a set of Falken Azenis RT615K+s on it. So damn grippy. Just needs new bushings and brakes.
IMG_0276.JPG

Got this thing out and started sorting it out, replaced front brake calipers and pads, changed all of the fluids and some other stuff, but I'm gonna sell this to a friend of mine who lives down in Maryland soon. Just need to go over the rear brakes and drive it a bit more before I'm ready to sell it. I don't really want to, but I don't get to use it as much as I'd like or have time to fix it up.
IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

Sold the white 86 4Runner to a friend who went over it and got to enjoy it for a while. He's since traded it for a 1980 Celica Sunchaser
IMG_0451.JPG

86 Celica GT-S has been nothing but problems so hasn't seen much use. Replaced a bunch of tune up parts on it and it still doesn't run right, and the pay few times I've driven it it's been having cutting out issues on me, so it likely has a fuel issue I haven't had the motivation to diagnose yet. Currently in limbo, not sure what I wanna do with it yet. I don't think I'll have time this summer to get around to fixing it unfortunately, unless it's something simple.
IMG_0470.JPG

September Supra drive through the mountains
IMG_0472.JPG

First time cleaning this up in a while
IMG_0475.JPG

80s Toyotas
IMG_0476.JPG

Got to enjoy the 86 4Runner even after getting rid of it, took it wheeling a few times
IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0540.JPG

The brown 4Runner gave me some issues when after doing a lot of maintenance to it, I cleaned the throttle body which threw the TPS adjustment off, and in order to adjust it I had to remove the throttle body to remove the screws and adjust it, then it wouldn't stay running due to what I found out was a tear in the intake tubing. The gasket also leaks slightly now even after replacing it.
IMG_0548.JPG

Then I bought my 1990 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon, the first non Toyota vehicle I've owned.
IMG_0601.JPG

Other than the auto trans, I really like this car. It's a really nice daily driver, a ton of fun in the snow, and hasn't really had any issues. Also the fastest car I own, the previous owner put a manual boost controller on it and cranked it to 13 PSI (7 stock), so it's fast compared to what I'm used to.
IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

Last time I really drove this was at least a really fun drive down a nice twisty road, I had just put a set of used Falken Azenis' on it before it started giving me issues. Will likely be repurposed for something else.
IMG_0619.JPG

IMG_0620.JPG

Then I decided I should stop buying cars, but this customer from work with their 1987 Cressida finally decided to sell it.. for $200. So I could t say no.

They said it needed a trans, but it only had the O/D off botton on. Changed some fluids and the air filter and plugs and wires and parked it for the winter. Recently got it back out and started driving it, drives like a dream. Very comfy and smooth, handles surprisingly well too. Can't wait to start driving it once the salt washes away again.

IMG_0698.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

Interior after cleaning, looks good however the glass leaks which is a problem. I didn't realize until after buying it that it's an R title, and judging by the dented roof and replaced glass, something probably fell on it.
IMG_0700.JPG

After cleaning
IMG_0706.JPG

IMG_0752.JPG

Finally sold the truck too, was a really nice truck but I got really sick of people asking to use it, and I don't particularly need a truck to begin with. Will be missed
IMG_0758.JPG

I got a set of Nokian Hakkapellitta 9s with studs for the Volvo and so far haven't had any issues in the snow. Ground clearance was a minor issue during the last storm, but I didn't have too much trouble beyond that.
IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

Shuffling cars around
IMG_1462.JPG

Fresh inspection, so why not go for a drive. Nice to drive something other than the Volvo for a change
IMG_1469.JPG

And then I bought another car, 1983 Celica GT-S. I've been working on this slowly, doesn't need a lot but I've mostly been waiting on parts. Knew the kid who was selling it who simply didn't know how to work on cars and wasn't able to fix what it needed. Replaced some shifter bushings, rear brake cylinders, and some fluids and just waiting on clutch hydraulics before I start driving it. Been slowly chipping away at all the other minor things it needs.
IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_1484.JPG

Interior just needs to be put back together since doing the shifter bushings. It's having trouble getting into gear though, so I'm unsure if it's due to the bushings (which there isn't much to, so I don't expect it to be a mistake while putting it together) or clutch hydraulics.
IMG_1491.JPG

Ordered some spacers for a set of Black Racings I got cheap, not an ideal size but they were cheap enough so why not. Just waiting on the other 2 to ship in, and just need to repaint them
IMG_1581.JPG

IMG_1565.JPG

Last snow storm, was sliding quite a bit in this and was having trouble getting out of my spot at work
IMG_1596.JPG

Sorry for the crappy update but I really need to get some sleep and do t have time to do a proper update, but there it is.

I say this every time, but I'm so jealous you have the space for all these cars. :lol:

So I haven't made an update in quite a bit, so why not. I haven't really been focusing too much on my cars this year as I've mostly been trying to spend time doing things with friends and going on trips and whatnot, so I hate to say I haven't really driven the MR2 or Supra a whole lot this year.

When you let a friend drive your 83 Celica and he delaminates a tire on it
IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

Only really had the MR2 out for the occasional drive, the shifters been giving me issues the last time I drove it which needs to be addressed
IMG_1769.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1788.JPG

From a car show in May, perfect car to sleep in the back of
42146265284_0c8b88d592_o.jpg

Overdrive stopped functioning on me a day before driving to this event 2 hours away so I was a little concerned about running it down the highway that long at 3300 rpm. Still haven't figured it out, but haven't really spent a lot of time looking into it.
41963492485_ac1eb76cb4_o.jpg

Also got some Yokohama S Drives
28991561678_241af3dc16_o.jpg

IMG_1869.JPG

IMG_1884.JPG

My Cressida ended up being extremely problematic so I ended up selling it to a friend. The transmission was slipping and had a bad solenoid so it would never downshift. Brakes kept seizing and the master cylinder went bad when I tried to bleed the brakes. Didn't have it real long, but was a nice car to drive
IMG_1897.JPG

Ended up driving this a good bit in the spring time, but a bad master cylinder has side lined it to occasional drives
IMG_1936.JPG

IMG_2043.JPG

The last drive in this was up to upstate New York to sell it. Thw security system gave me issues and I had to pull the horn fuse to keep it from constantly blowing, but it made it without issue
IMG_2111.JPG

3/4/5 gen GT-S
IMG_2147.JPG

This thing was also nothing but issues for me, but was useable and saw a lot of driving. The shift lever housing and bushings were bad which eventually was replaced
IMG_2190.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

After replacing the radiator, flushing the cooling system, replacing the thermostat and o ring, and bleeding the cooling system for hours, the temperature gauge would still climb when you started driving it and occasionally fluctuate.

Between that, the shifter still not feeling right still, and a major sunroof leak that developed when I was having a bad week which also was a week when it downpoured for the entirety of, I was at my wits end with this car and wanted to get rid of it
IMG_2295.JPG

Friend of a friend in Connecticut wanted it, and traded (with cash) for this 1980 Volvo 242. Needs a headgasket, a good cleaning, and lots of seals/gaskets/bearings done. Still haven't had a chance to get started on this, but I plan on tackling this over the winter.
IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

I don't plan on owning this real long, but I think it's a neat car so figured I'd fix it up and clean it up and sell it after driving it a bit
IMG_2395.JPG

Also got this 1995 Camry from a customer who was gonna scrap it with plans of fixing and selling
IMG_2473.JPG

IMG_2475.JPG

Interior needed a good cleaning (smokers car), needed a muffler, oil change, distributor o ring, a battery, oil pressure switch, valve cover gasket, and some other minor things
IMG_2474.JPG

IMG_2572.JPG

After cleaning it up, ended up selling it to a friend who needed a good cheap car
IMG_2644.JPG

And my latest purchase was this 1996 Land Cruiser FZJ80. My plan is to downsize my collection of cars so I can save some money up and not have to worry about too many cars to take care of at a time. So figured this would be a nice dependable vehicle. Paid more than I would've liked, but it has factory lockers and it's very clean inside and out. Has minor issues I'm working on, but just typical 80 series things.
44431312652_b904c94daa_o.jpg

I plan on making this a winter daily and trip vehicle. It's too impractical to use all year round, awful gas mileage and just generally cumbersome. But I really love driving it.
30611362308_5a71e467c3_o.jpg

Removed the side steps the day I got it, but now I need to get some factory mud flaps for the front which are always overpriced when I see them for sale. Also want to get an FJ80 grille. And remove the wood grain trim, and maybe the gold badges. And this pretty much just became another project which is what I was trying to stop. :lol:
IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3145.JPG

I plan on getting a good set of snow tires for the winter, and another set of wheels/tires for the summer. I found out today that TRD Pro wheels are pretty cheap new from Toyota and they fit on these without issue other than the center caps which need modifying, so I plan on buying those soon
IMG_3147.JPG

After cleaning up the interior. Also, just in case you were wondering, a new drivers side sun visor from Toyota for this costs $296. A single 17' TRD Pro wheel for a '16 4Runner costs $161 with my slight discount :crazy:
IMG_3150.JPG

Also some random film shots
28991623028_3b938a339a_o.jpg

Last time I drove this thing, it leaked all of its power steering fluid out. I assumed it was a bad rack seal, which has always leaked. I got a rack from a friend and when I went to do it yesterday, realized it was only the power steering hard lines on the rack. The tie rods needed to be replaced anyway, so I dropped the rack enough to replace them and haven't had any issues since.

However, the day that happened, I got it to move it and did a big burnout and parked it. I let it cool down for a while but apparently not enough, the exhaust near the turbo ended up cracking. I'm afraid of the studs on the turbo breaking off if I try to remove them, so I'm just gonna sell it as is. I planned on selling it after fixing the power steering leak.
28991661138_934401bbc3_o.jpg

45320715312_611924757b_o.jpg

That's all for now, I'll probably post in another 8 months from now :P

Attachments

• IMG_2236.JPG
    IMG_2236.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 8
And my latest purchase was this 1996 Land Cruiser FZJ80. My plan is to downsize my collection of cars so I can save some money up and not have to worry about too many cars to take care of at a time. So figured this would be a nice dependable vehicle. Paid more than I would've liked, but it has factory lockers and it's very clean inside and out. Has minor issues I'm working on, but just typical 80 series things.
View attachment 775643

I plan on making this a winter daily and trip vehicle. It's too impractical to use all year round, awful gas mileage and just generally cumbersome. But I really love driving it.
View attachment 775644

Removed the side steps the day I got it, but now I need to get some factory mud flaps for the front which are always overpriced when I see them for sale. Also want to get an FJ80 grille. And remove the wood grain trim, and maybe the gold badges. And this pretty much just became another project which is what I was trying to stop. :lol:
View attachment 775634

View attachment 775635

I plan on getting a good set of snow tires for the winter, and another set of wheels/tires for the summer. I found out today that TRD Pro wheels are pretty cheap new from Toyota and they fit on these without issue other than the center caps which need modifying, so I plan on buying those soon
View attachment 775636

After cleaning up the interior. Also, just in case you were wondering, a new drivers side sun visor from Toyota for this costs $296. A single 17' TRD Pro wheel for a '16 4Runner costs $161 with my slight discount :crazy:
View attachment 775637

Nice pick up! You say it's got factory lockers? Does this have them for both front and rear diffs?

80 Series Land Cruisers could really use much beefier tires. The original sizes make them look disproportionately puny, and larger wheels/tires really help with the LC's look.

Nice pick up! You say it's got factory lockers? Does this have them for both front and rear diffs?

80 Series Land Cruisers could really use much beefier tires. The original sizes make them look disproportionately puny, and larger wheels/tires really help with the LC's look.

Thank you! It does have front and rear lockers.

But I agree, I think it's the huge fender flares that make them look a bit small. The wheels are actually pretty wide, they're 16x8 with 275/70s. Unfortunately the TRD Pro wheels are only 17x7s, so I might need to put 1' spacers on it to make it look right. Gotta do a little more research and also figure out what size tires I can run.

Honesty, big reason I paid so much for it was because of the lockers. :lol:

Also, nice 4Runner. If I was a sensible person, which I certainly am not when it comes to cars, I would've bought one of those instead of a Land Cruiser. My dad has an 01 SR5 that I used as a trip vehicle because I didn't trust any of my cars enough, 3rd gens are great trucks.

Latest Posts

Back