I'm thinking about standard cars in GT7

• Thread starter Illogical
  • 521 comments
They can ad them as DLC for 15$
complete nostalgy carpack with standard tracks to fit, like nurburgring, spa but with new sound and 3d and 60fps and new tyre physics...go go go

Why would you pay for something that you already have? Standard car DLC on PS4 would be hilariously stupid.
True, but it's also a convenient way of keeping standards out of the game for most players, while still offering them up to those that want them + generating cash for PD/Sony. Keep them out of online lobbies and/or allow hosts the option of keeping them out and I can easily see PD buying into this for GT7.

Why would you pay for something that you already have? Standard car DLC on PS4 would be hilariously stupid.
Want it on one place and one game. Since i bought ps4 i dont play on ps3 anymore. And that will not change as more games are coming. So if DLC is free even better (perhaps if you have older version of gt) but all i say is im willing to pay too.

The best solution would be to hire staff and create a poll with every standard car to ask the fans which cars they want as a premium car in future GT games. It would be the best of both worlds. No standard cars and still make sure that fans of certain standard cars get the premium version of those cars. While the main team can create new cars that matter at the time GT will be released.

The best solution would be to hire staff and create a poll with every standard car to ask the fans which cars they want as a premium car in future GT games. It would be the best of both worlds. No standard cars and still make sure that fans of certain standard cars get the premium version of those cars. While the main team can create new cars that matter at the time GT will be released.
They'd have to limit any poll of this kind to only cars they are sure they can get access to to in order to start from scratch and since we're talking 100's of cars it'll never happen. If they do upgrade some standards they'll choose them on their own without any of our input.

I would accept standard cars in GT7 only and ONLY if they are updated heavy like Nissan R390 GT1 race/road car, RUFs and Seat Ibiza... Basically premium exterior without interior. If they can't do that then droop them all. Am so sad when watch replay's and see some of mu favorite car's how they look awful (Toyota GT-one, McLaren F1 GTR long tail 97, Alfa 155 touring car...)

Polyphony Digital has a huge decision to make regarding these "standard cars" for next-gen. Gran Turismo's greatest rival, Forza, is already on next-gen, and their assets are arguably the best in the market. Despite Forza 5's car count is very small, those gorgeous assets will be brought to Forza 6 along newly created ones, while PD could still be considering using PS2 era assets on their next game.
diferent gen assets comparison.png

The side-by-side image above serves as an example of how past gen assets look on a next-gen engine compared to a next-gen asset. Since GT5/GT6's models have approximately the same polygon count from Forza 4's models, I suspect GT won't be reclaiming the title of best graphics from Forza for a long time.

Last edited:
Polyphony Digital has a huge decision to make regarding these "standard cars" for next-gen. Gran Turismo's greatest rival, Forza, is already on next-gen, and their assets are arguably the best in the market. Despite Forza 5's car count is very small, those gorgeous assets will be brought to Forza 6 along newly created ones, while PD is still considering using PS2 era assets on their next game.
View attachment 138658
The side-by-side image above serves as an example of how past gen assets look on a next-gen engine compared to a next-gen asset. Since GT5/GT6's models have approximately the same polygon count from Forza 4's models, I suspect GT won't be reclaiming the title of best graphics from Forza for a long time.
In several months Standards could be side by side with this. How do you think they will measure up?:lol:

f1 motor.jpg

Polyphony Digital has a huge decision to make regarding these "standard cars" for next-gen. Gran Turismo's greatest rival, Forza, is already on next-gen, and their assets are arguably the best in the market. Despite Forza 5's car count is very small, those gorgeous assets will be brought to Forza 6 along newly created ones, while PD is still considering using PS2 era assets on their next game.
View attachment 138658

How do you know that R33 is a last-gen asset? How do you know the R35 isn't? We don't have that information and any difference in quality there is simply subjective. We also have no reason to believe that PD is considering using GT4 assets in GT7, they haven't said one word about that. With Driveclub coming out hopefully sometime this summer and Project Cars on the horizon, we'll find out within the year who owns the title of best-looking car models. Until then, it's a game of wait-and-see.

GT5/GT6 premium cars are far better than FM4 car's model

I agree, but that's not because of polygon count. It's because of 1) the way the polygons are used by the modeler, 2) the lighting engine, and 3) texturing. That's why GT5/6's models look better. The polygon count per-car is roughly the same as FM4's, but PD has done a much better job of physically modeling them, and their superior lighting and rendering engine is why the cars look better during gameplay. Forza also markedly cuts down the quality of its models during races, which certainly doesn't help. When I demoed Forza 5 recently I was surprised and disappointed to find that even with all the Xbox One's extra power, they're still doing that. Gameplay models still cannot hold a candle to what you see in the menus.

Forza also markedly cuts down the quality of its models during races, which certainly doesn't help. When I demoed Forza 5 recently I was surprised and disappointed to find that even with all the Xbox One's extra power, they're still doing that. Gameplay models still cannot hold a candle to what you see in the menus.
Every game change the LOD model.

Every game change the LOD model.

True, but Forza does it to a greater degree than other games. The difference between in-game and non in-game models in Forza is significantly wider than anything I've ever seen.

How do you know that R33 is a last-gen asset? How do you know the R35 isn't? We don't have that information and any difference in quality there is simply subjective. We also have no reason to believe that PD is considering using GT4 assets in GT7, they haven't said one word about that. With Driveclub coming out hopefully sometime this summer and Project Cars on the horizon, we'll find out within the year who owns the title of best-looking car models. Until then, it's a game of wait-and-see.
It's on their site. Well, isn't the discussion on this thread about PD using GT4 assets in GT7? We're not assuming anything, we're only speculating. You're the one assuming we are talking something we didn't.

That's not an assumption or speculation. That's a blatant statement that PD is considering doing something and there is zero evidence to support it.

Also, did Turn 10 admit to its players which assets have been carried over and which have been created from scratch from Forza 5? If they did, fair enough, but I have a really tough time believing they would ever do that. Historically they're not the most honest when it comes to the visual quality of their games.

That's not an assumption or speculation. That's a blatant statement that PD is considering doing something and there is zero evidence to support it.

Also, did Turn 10 admit to its players which assets have been carried over and which have been created from scratch from Forza 5? If they did, fair enough, but I have a really tough time believing they would ever do that. Historically they're not the most honest when it comes to the visual quality of their games.
Turn 10 are a nasty company. They are charging money for cars that aren't new to the series and should already be in it. GT6 and PD are at least porting all cars from their last games for free and charging for only new cars to the series.

Alright, I did state that, my bad. But the sentence can be changed to: ...PD could still be considering using PS2 era assets on GT7. Anyway, the R33 is labeled as DLC in Forza 5's site. And we all know the cars sold on DLC were the Forza 4 models that were not upscaled for Forza 5.

And @emula
I know GT cars look better than Forza 4, but that was not my point. I already state that I was talking about polygon count. And since you're showing me interior pics, why don't you do the same with GT6 and Forza 5, and if GT still look better I take all that I've written here back.

Turn 10 are a nasty company. They are charging money for cars that aren't new to the series and should already be in it. GT6 and PD are at least porting all cars from their last games for free and charging for only new cars to the series.

The XJR-9 was free in GT5?

To be fair, PD hasn't charged money for cars in GT6 yet because they've not bothered to offer that "quantum leap" of "monthly" DLC packs.

I can't imagine PD would ever even consider adding something like this to a PS4 game of any sort:

gsx-r-4-01-001-jpg.138421

@TokoTurismo is right, this isn't about GT vs Forza. I only mentioned Forza in here because of the ridiculous polygon count in the models they are using next-gen to try to prove a point where PD would be wrong, in my opinion, should they include "standard cars" in GT7. That's it.

There are dedicated FM vs GT threads; I'd say take that discussion there, but as that was nothing close to a discussion, and merely a massive image dump, I've deleted it.

Back