I'm thinking about standard cars in GT7

• Thread starter Illogical
  • 521 comments
United States
PA
Illogical_mind
So PD doesn't have the time to take the 800 or whatever standard cars to make them premium. What are they going to do when the extreme detail of GT7 Premium Cars have to sit next to a standard pixel car from GT4? You can clearly see the difference now, in photo mode at least. There's only so much automated general makeup they can do to make standards look better, which they've already tried for GT6. Are they going to cut one of their selling points and drop the cars down from 1200 to 400?

I didn't know where to put this, and just wanted to see what people thought.

So PD doesn't have the time to take the 800 or whatever standard cars to make them premium. What are they going to do when the extreme detail of GT7 Premium Cars have to sit next to a standard pixel car from GT4? You can clearly see the difference now, in photo mode at least. There's only so much automated general makeup they can do to make standards look better, which they've already tried for GT6. Are they going to cut one of their selling points and drop the cars down from 1200 to 400?

I didn't know where to put this, and just wanted to see what people thought.
They probably are holding back some premiums for GT7, plus they can still make quite a few cars before then. It's not unreasonable to have 600-700 premium cars in GT7, enough to be able to cut out the standards.

Having less cars will look a lot better than having more cars, with half of them being PS2 quality. For GT5/6 the premium car count was simply too low to cut out the standards.

Honestly I hope they don't have standards in GT7, they need to atleast have them all semi-premiumed so they don't look terrible next to the premium cars.

I said this in another standard car thread and I will echo it here. I always though it would be better to just remove all the lower standard cars from the game and release it with a lower car quantity. That was until another racing game did something similar. They released the next version on the next gen console and ended up removing about 500 cars from the game from 700! Along with over half the tracks have been removed. All with the main focus to have better graphics.

While I have thought that would be a great idea, I think its terrible. So now the majority of the content has been removed from the previous game just to have better graphics. Huge disappointment. Its a tough situation for PD to be in. They either remove the majority of their cars to keep the best quality, by sacrificing quantity. Its really a lose lose situation for both developers.

I really like how GT6 handled the premium / standard situation. We still have all the cars and they can be brought everywhere. No the standards are not as good as the premiums but at least we can still drive them around and bring them to photo travel. Truly sit and think about how empty the game would feel with 800 cars removed from the game.

Last edited:
I said this in another standard car thread and I will echo it here. I always though it would be better to just remove all the lower standard cars from the game and release it with a lower car quantity. That was until another racing game did something similar. They released the next version on the next gen console and ended up removing about 500 cars from the game from 700! Along with over half the tracks have been removed. All with the main focus to have better graphics.

While I have thought that would be a great idea, I think its terrible. So now the majority of the content has been removed from the previous game just to have better graphics. Huge disappointment. Its a tough situation for PD to be in. They either remove the majority of their cars to keep the best quality, by sacrificing quantity. Its really a lose lose situation for both developers.

I really like how GT6 handled the premium / standard situation. We still have all the cars and they can be brought everywhere. No the standards are not as good as the premiums but at least we can still drive them around and bring them to photo travel. Truly sit and think about how empty the game would feel with 800 cars removed from the game.

But you're talking about two generations difference! If Forza had included cars from Forza 4 that'd be one generation, just as PD did. To include touched up cars two generations old would be ridiculous, and look ridiculous. Look at the detail of cars in Driveclub, Forza 5, and compare that to even the best 'standard' cars. They would look stupid next to each other.

But you're talking about two generations difference! If Forza had included cars from Forza 4 that'd be one generation, just as PD did. To include touched up cars two generations old would be ridiculous, and look ridiculous. Look at the detail of cars in Driveclub, Forza 5, and compare that to even the best 'standard' cars. They would look stupid next to each other.
Oh believe me I agree 100%. Everyone on this site knows my opinion of the standards. I hated how they handled standards in GT5. But at least they resolved most of those problems in GT6. Still standards are indeed standards and its not easy to resolve without disappointing someone.

Like I said its a lose lose. If they remove standards it will be dang near 80% of the game. If they keep them in next gen yes they will indeed look terrible. What they should really do is take about a 5-6 year break and try to get the standards up to premium quality. There is just no good answer for the this standard / premium problem.

The answer is simple, hire more people to model more premium cars or outsource it. There is no point continuing to touch up the standard cars, they will always be single piece, low poly models.

Assuming they have told the truth regarding the current premium cars being PS4 ready they can easily have 400-500 premium models ready to go on a game in the next couple of years. No need for any standards.

The answer is simple, hire more people to model more premium cars or outsource it. There is no point continuing to touch up the standard cars, they will always be single piece, low poly models.

Assuming they have told the truth regarding the current premium cars being PS4 ready they can easily have 400-500 premium models ready to go on a game in the next couple of years. No need for any standards.
In fact, there already are over 400 premium cars in the game. If you merge all the duplicates into single cars, they can update a reasonable fraction of those cars to premium before GT7, too. They can probably see which cars are used most, and use that to choose which ones to update. There are probably some cars already finished, but still waiting to be released (intentionally held back for GT7 or DLC). Having 600-700 premium cars in GT7 is not unreasonable, with some proper management they can do that, and only throw away standard cars that hardly anyone cares about.

Oh believe me I agree 100%. Everyone on this site knows my opinion of the standards. I hated how they handled standards in GT5. But at least they resolved most of those problems in GT6. Still standards are indeed standards and its not easy to resolve without disappointing someone.

Like I said its a lose lose. If they remove standards it will be dang near 80% of the game. If they keep them in next gen yes they will indeed look terrible. What they should really do is take about a 5-6 year break and try to get the standards up to premium quality. There is just no good answer for the this standard / premium problem.

It's closer to 65% now, but the important thing to remember is that the vast number of standards already have premium counterparts. Look at what PD did with the NA Miatas, and that could be applied to the myriad RX-7's, R34's, and Evos. On the latter; while yes, there's all the different generations, a premium can function as a base, so they wouldn't have to be done completely from scratch.

If you look at truly unique standards, that don't have any ties to existing premiums, PD doesn't actually have more than a few hundred to tackle. And of those, it's safe to say some could be be dropped. Yeah, someone somewhere will be upset if any particular car gets chopped, but the smart move is cutting the dead weight and increasing the overall appeal of the car list. Dropping the Honda Element is hardly a punch in the gut :P

It's closer to 65% now, but the important thing to remember is that the vast number of standards already have premium counterparts. Look at what PD did with the NA Miatas, and that could be applied to the myriad RX-7's, R34's, and Evos. On the latter; while yes, there's all the different generations, a premium can function as a base, so they wouldn't have to be done completely from scratch.

If you look at truly unique standards, that don't have any ties to existing premiums, PD doesn't actually have more than a few hundred to tackle. And of those, it's safe to say some could be be dropped. Yeah, someone somewhere will be upset if any particular car gets chopped, but the smart move is cutting the dead weight and increasing the overall appeal of the car list. Dropping the Honda Element is hardly a punch in the gut :P
That's a VERY good point with all the duplicated cars. Very good point. If they started next gen with a vinyl editor, engine drivetrain swaps, and more customization, they could easily drop at least half the cars. Imagine taking 1 car and being able to make 10 different version out of that 1 car. I have been saying that too but it is indeed a very good point.

Cynical as I am when it comes to PD, I think the true standards will not see the light of day in GT7. However I can see "premiumized" standards making their way into the game a la the Rufs etc. Standards are in the game to begin with to pad the car count and I'm not sure they will let the premiumized versions go without a fight.

If they are all gone completely I do hope they go back and do legit premiums of a dozen or two of the really iconic or popular cars like the 2000GT, the Rufs, etc. Hard to imagine the game without the Yellowbird.

Absolutely not. Personally I don't care if it cuts the car count in half. No Standards, and no Standards halfway upgraded to Premium.

Now that's not to say all of those are thrown in the trash and forgotten about. There's several gems in there (Toyota GT-One, Speed 12, R390 etc) that could use a complete overhaul to 100% Premium quality.

Besides, I don't see any reason to expect less than 500 Premium models come GT7. It's slowly building back up to a respectable number, so we should be fine there.

I don't mind standard cars in gt6. The only thing I don't like about it is the 'simplified' interior, where they just black out everything lazily. They could at least have, say, 5 cockpits that suit standard cars, 1 for muscle cars, another for saloon cars, race cars, etc.
Another thing I don't like is that they have a handful of cars with 20 versions of them which are the exact same bar a letter or number. They could exclude these from the so-called 1200 cars.

Cynical as I am when it comes to PD, I think the true standards will not see the light of day in GT7. However I can see "premiumized" standards making their way into the game a la the Rufs etc. Standards are in the game to begin with to pad the car count and I'm not sure they will let the premiumized versions go without a fight.

If they are all gone completely I do hope they go back and do legit premiums of a dozen or two of the really iconic or popular cars like the 2000GT, the Rufs, etc. Hard to imagine the game without the Yellowbird.
In case you didn't know, the 2000GT now is a legit premium actually.

Let's not forget the game still has several "standard" tracks that need to be updated/redone.

Well they all need work for PS4 but certainly some more than others. Mainly all the old original circuits. Personally I'd like to see a lot of them given a proper overhaul, like they did with High Speed Ring. Keep the track the same, but completely redo the landscape. Racing alongside unprotected rocks and mountains is a bit silly, especially if you're not going to include a proper damage model.

Latest Posts

Back