Imagine if there was a "C Spec" mode...

• Thread starter The87Dodge
  • 51 comments

Do you want a C-Spec mode?

• Total voters
And the triple posting?
Sorry. Everyone complains how I double post, and in extreme cases, triple posts. Anyway, how do you reply do more than one person in one post? Never figured it out yet, surprisingly.

A rivals type mode would also be very good where you had a full set of leaderboards and could earn credits in game by beating the ghost of your rival.

Sorry. Everyone complains how I double post, and in extreme cases, triple posts. Anyway, how do you reply do more than one person in one post? Never figured it out yet, sorry.
Click the +quote on each post them you can insert the quotes into one reply box.

A rivals type mode would also be very good where you had a full set of leaderboards and could earn credits in game by beating the ghost of your rival.
Then Forza players would complain that "PD STOLE TURN 10's IDEA!" or something like that. Even though games have had leaderboards for years

This is a sim racing game,
Exactly.

If GT6 is a sim racer than it should simulate what happens in real life races, it should focus on proper races, with qualifying, standing starts, full grid of opponents who use competitive cars and drive at a reasonable pace, mechanical damage, fuel/tire wear & corner cutting/collision penalties. All those things are already in the game but for some stupid reason they're only available online.

I don't mind having classic GT career mode to cater to people who enjoy collecting cars and/or having a sense of progression, but ideally PD should give players other options to access the cars for those of us who don't care about grinding career races against crap AI and prefer to focus on proper racing and/or online racing against real people.

I don't know the first game with leaderboards but the original GT had public leaderboards didn't it?

I doubt it. I never even looked at GT1. I first started GT with 4. Anyway the only GT AFAIK that had any leaderboards was GT5P. It was also the first GT to have any kind of online play.

I was referring to T10 stealing the idea for the racing/car collecting game tied to a specific console. GT was the first to do so. NFS fits the racing car collecting but is multiplatform and is best on the PC so a bit different there.

I doubt it. I never even looked at GT1. I first started GT with 4. Anyway the only GT AFAIK that had any leaderboards was GT5P. It was also the first GT to have any kind of online play.

I was referring to T10 stealing the idea for the racing/car collecting game tied to a specific console. GT was the first to do so. NFS fits the racing car collecting but is multiplatform and is best on the PC so a bit different there.
All GT's had leaderboards on your Memore Card (til the PS3's HDD) and that's like saying Naughty Dog stole Epic Games idea for third person action adventure games on console exclusives

All GT's had leaderboards on your Memore Card (til the PS3's HDD) and that's like saying Naughty Dog stole Epic Games idea for third person action adventure games on console exclusives
When I refer to leaderboards I mean leaderboards that show times you and other people have gotten, the simple little local fastest practice lap that was and still is in GT is extremely lame. Fitting for GT1 perhaps not fitting for any game in the 21st century.

GT5P had a full set of online leaderboards, none of the other GTs have it.

Edit: btw as to when leaderboards came about. It was before Sony or MS ever made a console.
The first ones I remember were back in the 70s on arcade games like Asteroids and Space Invaders and of course Pac Man. First racing game with a leaderboard may have been Pole Position from Atari

Last edited:
When I refer to leaderboards I mean leaderboards that show times you and other people have gotten, the simple little local fastest practice lap that was and still is in GT is extremely lame. Fitting for GT1 perhaps not fitting for any game in the 21st century.

GT5P had a full set of online leaderboards, none of the other GTs have it.

Edit: btw as to when leaderboards came about. It was before Sony or MS ever made a console.
The first ones I remember were back in the 70s on arcade games like Asteroids and Space Invaders and of course Pac Man. First racing game with a leaderboard may have been Pole Position from Atari
Well I remember GRID on the PS3 having full online leaderboards for every track

Well I remember GRID on the PS3 having full online leaderboards for every track
Not sure what to make of that. Has nothing to do with GT nor when leaderboards came about. Of course Grid would have that. The only modern racing game that doesn't is GT as far as I know and is is baffling that they don't especially since they did have them in GT5P, stock cars only but better than nothing.

In any case the thread is not about which game has leaderboards nor who copied what from who so lets get back to the topic at hand.

An interesting C-Spec mode for me would involve you managing a full blown racing team. Not just a stable of drivers, but everything else as well, machines, seasons, funding, contracts, etc.

I would find managing a team like that pretty boring actually.

How about a mode where you create events for career mode and then drive them.

I'd like to see Constructor Spec.

You get to choose the size of car, engine location, and which wheels are driven. Based on the size of engine compartment you have allocated and your progress in the game, you are offered a range of engines, to which you can add features like twin cams, variable valve timing etc to increase performance. Then the AI go and race your car against others and you find out if it's any good. Some races will require 4-door cars, cars with a minimum length etc, others can be entered with sports cars.

Win lots of races and you get a bigger budget to afford more sophisticated engines, etc. The only thing that would be tough is styling, perhaps start with a range of generic body shapes that will stretch over the chassis you choose, then some way to 'tweak' the styling progressively to make it your own.

With game time and progress, you would unlock more advanced technologies such as turbos, four-valve heads, carbon fibre for lighter bodies, etc.

I think it would be great fun to make things like a rear-engined car with a big V8, or a rotary, and see how it drives.

I'd like to see Constructor Spec.

You get to choose the size of car, engine location, and which wheels are driven. Based on the size of engine compartment you have allocated and your progress in the game, you are offered a range of engines, to which you can add features like twin cams, variable valve timing etc to increase performance. Then the AI go and race your car against others and you find out if it's any good. Some races will require 4-door cars, cars with a minimum length etc, others can be entered with sports cars.

Win lots of races and you get a bigger budget to afford more sophisticated engines, etc. The only thing that would be tough is styling, perhaps start with a range of generic body shapes that will stretch over the chassis you choose, then some way to 'tweak' the styling progressively to make it your own.

With game time and progress, you would unlock more advanced technologies such as turbos, four-valve heads, carbon fibre for lighter bodies, etc.

I think it would be great fun to make things like a rear-engined car with a big V8, or a rotary, and see how it drives.
I think you want this http://automationgame.com/

Back