Import Or Muscle?

• Thread starter Cookie10
  • 38 comments

Import Or Muscle?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
cookie_monster10
It's one of the most debated topics for petrol heads around the world and I'm sure that the GT6 drifting world is no different. Everybody has their choice of car and what they think is the 'best' for their respective style but it pretty much always boils down to a choice between one of the two; that question is "Import or Muscle?"

I myself am a muscle car fan and personally I hate drifting anything that is Japanese or likewise. I like to think I'm not the only one, hence my reason for me posting this question. Which is your preferred choice and what are your reasons?

Cookie

Wouldn't "import" depend on where you live :lol:

Personally, I prefer JDM cars first, then EUDM, then USDM last.

JDM cars will always be my first love. IMO they look the best, perform the best, and offer the most variety (anything from AE86/KE70 to JZX110, and everything in between).

The only EUDM cars I like for drifting is BMWs. Everything else is meh...other than perhaps some older RWD converted Audis and those old Merc station wagons :lol:

I've never liked USDM cars, for pretty much anything but drag racing and stockcar racing. I will give Americans props for their V8 motors....V8s are, IMO, one of - if not the best - all around drift motor you can get...but the cars they come in are crap. Compared to JDM and EUDM counterparts, the engineering of the rest of the drivetrain and the suspension in USDM cars is crap. I mean, as good as the new Mustang is at drifting, it still has a solid rear axel...like wtf??? How much performance can you actually expect out of a setup like that haha.

JDM cars will always be my first love. IMO they look the best, perform the best, and offer the most variety (anything from AE86/KE70 to JZX110, and everything in between).

The only EUDM cars I like for drifting is BMWs. Everything else is meh...other than perhaps some older RWD converted Audis and those old Merc station wagons :lol:

I've never liked USDM cars, for pretty much anything but drag racing and stockcar racing. I will give Americans props for their V8 motors....V8s are, IMO, one of - if not the best - all around drift motor you can get...but the cars they come in are crap. Compared to JDM and EUDM counterparts, the engineering of the rest of the drivetrain and the suspension in USDM cars is crap. I mean, as good as the new Mustang is at drifting, it still has a solid rear axel...like wtf??? How much performance can you actually expect out of a setup like that haha.

I guess you're right with the whole import thing but I think the majority of us have the pragmatics to understand the association between JDM and the word 'import'.

I get where you're coming from bud, and I fully feel all your points are justified. I love USDM for their looks and the connotation of power that comes with them. Personal preference I suppose.

I thought I'd try and spark the old debate of import vs muscle. Think of it like the impreza vs the evo... Nobody talks about the rest, only the two that really matter ;)

In that case, I would say it's more JDM vs EUDM, and the rest don't matter ;)....cause there isn't really a "rest".

I was chillin with some buddies at lunch, and I sort of brought up this topic for fun. We started trying to think of as many USDM drift capable cars as we could, vs their JDM counterparts....

Let's just say we struggled coming up with a dozen USDM cars (starting around 1970) that would make good drift cars at a reasonable cost. Toyota or Nissan alone (not combined) have more "good" drift cars from the last 40 years than all of North America combined. Not to mention I can't think of a single American 4-door from the last 40 years that would make a good drift car. Only one I can sort of think of is a CTS, but that's getting pretty pricey.

As far as American "power" goes...I think that is more of a stereotype from a past era than anything. Yes, in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, USDM cars were the kings of power...but not really anymore. All three markets are fully capable of making high horsepower cars.

Edit: forgot about the Magnum and Charger...they would do pretty well I'm guessing.

Last edited:
Since we are on the topic...I have actually never drifted an old school muscle car from the 60's or 70's....what model do you guys recommend I give a shot with?

I assume max weight reduction and drift suspension tune?:)

I prefer Japanese cars with Japanese engines.

I don't like watching Formula D because it's all Japanese cars with thousand-horsepower Chevrolet V8's. Just doesn't feel right.

(Before you call me out a I correctly used an apostrophe to pluralize, Google it)

I don't like watching Formula D because it's all Japanese cars with thousand-horsepower Chevrolet V8's. Just doesn't feel right.

(Before you call me out a I correctly used an apostrophe to pluralize, Google it)
Exactly, don't feel right, don't look right and certainly don't sound right lol.

Actually some of the v8s being used in FD are from Nissan or Toyota and Chevy

Not trying to be a dink or anything, this is a legit question.

Exactly, don't feel right, don't look right and certainly don't sound right lol.

How do you guys feel about JDM cars with JDM V8s? Like Forsberg?

Saito's SC430 comes with a V8 from factory, but he put a 2J in it....I'm guessing no one has beef with this? Same with the ISF he used in FD Asia.

What about people who put 1Js or 2Js in cars other than Toyotas? Any beef there?

What about all the people in D1GP who put 2Js in just about everything....86GT, BMW M3, etc etc.

It's all just elements from the same universe, from the same galaxy, from the same planet (hell, there's a good chance some of the raw material comes from the same mines), yet as soon as one corporation puts their sticker on something, it suddenly becomes incompatible to the point if being sinful to mix the two aspects together.

Just my take on the situation...

Last edited:
Short answer-both.
I love throwing a 370z or Supra Rz around as much as the next guy,but you also can't beat the looks of a 70 Charger ,Svt Cobra or Shelby gt350 flying sideways making smoke :D

Saito's SC430 comes with a V8 from factory, but he put a 2J in it....I'm guessing no one has beef with this? Same with the ISF he used in FD Asia.

What about people who put 1Js or 2Js in cars other than Toyotas? Any beef there?

What about all the people in D1GP who put 2Js in just about everything....86GT, BMW M3, etc etc.

It's all just elements from the same universe, from the same galaxy, from the same planet (hell, there's a good chance some of the raw material comes from the same mines), yet as soon as one corporation puts their sticker on something, it suddenly becomes incompatible to the point if being sinful to mix the two aspects together.

JDM V8s are JDM. So sure, why not?

I just have a dislike for V8s.

I personally prefer Japanese Import (JDM) over American or European cars in the first place no matter what im doing. But for drifted it just feels more right driving an import, plus i always feel like i just get better response and controllable driving with them than American cars.

i have tried American cars before though and the mustang/camaro are about the only ones i can find acceptable. For me personally.

I don't really care what I drift, as long as I'm having fun. My favorite car in real life being a Lotus Exige and Elise, which itself is European with a Japanese motor. I also like the sounds of most motors.

What I wish we did have is Antilag Systems so we could run big turbos on cars with turbos. I spend most of my time tuning transmissions to eliminate as much lag as possible. Also would love to have twin charging on cars that would allow it.

And it also seems as though the JDM V8's get no credit either... The Lexus SC400 comes with a 1UZ-FE in it from factory, and it is a great engine... not to mention the 2UZ and 3UZ...
infact, i plan on building a 180SX to put a 1UZ-FE in..

I don't like the sound of v8s much I'm more a turbo guy. And it ain't really anything to do with what corporation they are, that is irrelevant . It's what I prefer and I prefer turbo engines .

Last edited:
Actually it won't matter because you can just take a trip to Japan lets say and I see a realy nice Mazda rx-7 and I wanna import it you can all you need to do is make it the regulations your country has
That's why it's called "import" by the way I'm jdm to

Lol cookie
It's one of the most debated topics for petrol heads around the world and I'm sure that the GT6 drifting world is no different. Everybody has their choice of car and what they think is the 'best' for their respective style but it pretty much always boils down to a choice between one of the two; that question is "Import or Muscle?"

I myself am a muscle car fan and personally I hate drifting anything that is Japanese or likewise. I like to think I'm not the only one, hence my reason for me posting this question. Which is your preferred choice and what are your reasons?

Cookie

combo_breaker-s640x510-141907.jpg

Back