Import Tuner Challenge - Tokyo Xtreme Racer 10 ( Wanderer list in first post )

• Thread starter Max_DC
  • 286 comments
Germany
Germany
Wangan01
Wangan01
Since there is quite a fanbase of the Tokyo Xtreme Racer series here on GTP I thought I open a thread for this promising game. There is an old video, maybe I post a link later, but the E3 should bring new stuff so I just post a few pics for the moment.
RELEASE DATE : 12.10.06 (US/EU), already availible in Japan
Official Homepage
http://xboxyde.com/news_2843_en.html
shutokoux12.jpg

878_0001.jpg

878_0002.jpg

878_0003.jpg

878_0004.jpg

878_0005.jpg

878_0006.jpg

878_0007.jpg

878_0008.jpg

878_0010.jpg

878_0011.jpg

shutokoux13.jpg

I don't know how old these pics are, the grafics seem to be ok, although I have to admit that the last pic shows some horrible "textures".
I think and hope that these are betaversion problems and that we'll get a 60 fps racing game with hundrets of rivals and more tracks. Yes more tracks, just have a look on the last picture. What you see and probably recognize from PGR3 is Shinjuku, which had not been in previous Shutokou Battle games.

It's about gameplay and game structure and concerning these points I have no doubts that this one will rock. And I can perfectly live with these grafics, I wouldn't even need improvements....

4 min trailer !!!

WANDERER LIST
( didn't check if complete/correct, feel free to pm me if not) :

NIGHT

WANDERER (22)
#310 Must Be Full Tuned
#311 Must Have over a 100 Races
#312 Every 3rd Day
#313 Only on Wednesday must have vinyl
#322 Enter on Shibuya Entrance more than 3 times
#323 Only on Monday's
#324 Can not travel no more than 3miles for the day
#332 Custom Cars only
#333 More than a 100 wins
#334 Use Ariake Entrance
#335 Have vertical Doors
#344 Must use an unmodified car
#345 Sell 2 or more cars
#346 Turn off MUSIC
#354 Own at least 3 or more cars
#355 NA Car only
#360 Defeat Yellow Desperado (#317)
#361 Appears on any day with a number "3", and your car plate must be "3333"
#366 Z cars only
#367 S Class Muffler
#371 You must add "meters" to your vehicle
#372 Must defeat "Phantom 9"

MIDNIGHT

WANDERER (22)
#314 4DOOR LUXURY SEDAN ONLY
#315 Drive Custom Car "Rolling Guy"
#316 Defeat "Cat X Cat"
#317 Odometer less than 124mi
#325 Multiples of 5 and must drive Mitsubishi
#326 Pass him 3 times
#327 Must have Carbon Fiber Hood on
#328 Only on Tuesdays and have customized aero
#336 Ride height as low a possibe
#337 Multiples of 4 and have N O S equiped
#338 90 days or more have passed
#339 Battles no longer than 2 minutes overall
#347 Must drive RX-8 with less than 62mi
#348 Battles cars with over 621 miles on it
#349 Must have S class Body Tune
#350 "He likes to battle where the race is as short as possible" ????
#356 Must have gone over 186MPH in a race
#357 Appears on the C1 @ Midnight
#362 Must have 10 Million CP
#363 Own 5 or more cars
#368 Normal Tires Only
#373 Defeat Matashichi the First (#372)

DAYBREAK

WANDERER (22)
#318 Must have neon and Defeated "Plantinum Prince"
#319 No rear spoiler
#320 Change the sound of the Horn
#321 Only on Thursdays, Must drive a Rotary
#329 Appears every 10 days,must drive a Pre 90's Car
#330 Appears on Weekends and have driven 20 Miles that day
#331 Have customized Tail Lights
#340 Appear when the sum of the day's number equals 9
#341 Must drive a Subaru
#342 Use different type of wheels for the front & rear
#343 Normal Muffler only
#351 Must have at least 400HP
#352 Turbo Cars only
#353 Must have 2 of the same car
#358 Must average 100MPH in a race
#359 No NOS
#364 Must have 3 consecutive wins and he'll be waiting near Rainbow Bridge
#365 Defeat "Phantom Babe" of Top Level (#223) to make him appear
#369 Steps in when "Bright Age" is in trouble
#370 Must be in "Shibuya Line" Area for a week
#374 Looks for "The Bone" Sticker
#375 If "Free Maebashi" (#374) loses he'll show up after

Must be said, that looks crap. Though if it has 100 cars on screen at once, and sits at 60fps I may be enclined to change my opinion.

code_kev
Must be said, that looks crap. Though if it has 100 cars on screen at once, and sits at 60fps I may be enclined to change my opinion.
Ah well some parts look bad, but not everything. The overall looks is right imo. The city seems to be rebuilt with precision and the cars look nice.
I think we have to wait for a video. If the game is fast and smooth you won't notice those walls without textures.

But as I said, it's all about the gameplay experience. What I get here is :

Probably up to 1000 rivals.
An exactly rebuilt Tokyo.
Japanese cars, tuners, hundrets of parts...
Nice gameplay ( simulation with a touch of arcade ).

I even consider to buy another Xbox360 (jp) for this game, I'll wait for a Famitsu review first though...

BlackZ28

Oh come on it's not that bad. The cars look great imo and the background, well on some pics it's really high res and nice. The huge image surely is older, compare them with the smaller ones....

Glancing at the pics, I thought this could've easily been an XBOX1 game, this can't be a good sign...
The big car render pics look nice enough, but you'll notice that the detail is pulled back a fair bit in the actual gameplay pics.

GT4 looks better than this. Easily.

Have to say, I'm yet to be impressed (at all) with anything on 360. Its nice enough, just kinda what I expect of a new system. Nothing has blown me away in the next gen yet (other than Crysis on PC). GT5 might be a contender, if PD have made a good video for E3 with 100% updated PS3 assets...

Halo is the only thing that may have a chance of getting my saliva glands going on 360 though. I'm sure Bungie will make properly sure the video at E3 gets everyone fired up, regardless of what the final game ends up being like... **cough**Halo2 "battle on Earth" **cough**

I don't know how people can play Tokyo Xtreme racing, when you can just play PGR3 on the 360. Or Forza 2 in the future guys.

Anyone else reminded of Auto Modellista or whatever it was called for the PS2? The cars seem too "cartoonish" for me, and the city scape is almost so blocky it makes me think the game takes place in Lego-land or something. :yuck:

Hopefully the final product is better looking then whats presented.

TVR&Ferrari_Fan
I don't know how people can play Tokyo Xtreme racing, when you can just play PGR3 on the 360. Or Forza 2 in the future guys.

I own maybe like 100 racing games or more for several systems. But PGR3 is a serious dissapointment. It's just boring as hell imo. I couldn't play the single player mode for more than 20 min.... It's just not challenging when you begin right off with fast cars and there is no tuning etc. And all those supercars I don't care about... I want normal cars no Koenigssegg or F50 GT... That's why I can't wait for Tokyo Xtreme Racer. The grafics might be worse, but the gameplay and game structure is far superior imo. Of course that is also a question of personal preferences but without LIVE PGR3 wouldn't have been in my Xbox360 for more than 2 hours or so...
The Tokyo Xtreme Racer story mode will take at least 30 hours and it is a lot of fun.

PGR3 is the ultimate mainstream game for the average player. Easy access, almost all cars right from the beginning, no need for tuning or adjustments... That game gives me no reason to go on playing... oh a medal...oh another supercar I don't even want to testdrive...:rolleyes:

I loved PGR2 though and I don't say that I don't understand why some people enjoy PGR3, but Tokyo Xtreme Racer is different and that's why I love that series....

And all this grafics discussion... I still play games on Sega Saturn, PSX, PS2, Super Famicom etc people have to get over these details. gameplay and game structure, challenge... spirit if you want... that is what counts imo....

SRV2LOW4ME
Anyone else reminded of Auto Modellista or whatever it was called for the PS2? The cars seem too "cartoonish" for me, and the city scape is almost so blocky it makes me think the game takes place in Lego-land or something. :yuck:

Hopefully the final product is better looking then whats presented.

What ? You better go to Gamespot or ign and watch a video of Auto Modellista. That was a cellshaded racer. Cartoonish ? Sorry, what are you talking about ?

Edit : sorry I wanted to copy&paste it into the previous post but I accidently pressed the submit button.
Some sort of GTP reflex I guess ^^

You can tell this game is still a big WIP if it's going to be released on the X360 as the graphics appear to be very poor.

*McLaren*
You can tell this game is still a big WIP if it's going to be released on the X360 as the graphics appear to be very poor.

There are other things than grafics. Look at the XBLA games, or tetris etc.
Ok a racing game also lives from its grafics, but let's face it : there are just a handfull ...what am I talking about, 3 pure car racing games on Xbox360.
One hardcorearcade game ( Ridge Racer ), and PGR3 + NFSMW. I like Nfs, Pgr3 has great visuals and gameplay, but the game structure is debatable at least.
So what is the result ? We have 3 racing games that actually look better than Tokyo Xtreme Racer. I'd say that the final game will look better than 95% of the Xbox games, if not better than 100% and certain aspects might aswell beat NFSMW 360 ( framerate ) etc. But even if not, you have a great game with ok grafics. I mean, most of us still play PS2 and Xbox... those games are fun, although the Xbox360 could do it nicer. So what's the big deal ?
Why are people always talking about grafics ? I mean that is really just one sapects of so many. And not the most important one.

For all its worth it looks better than every other version. Still i dont care what system its on I'd buy it with propper wheel support.

The last pic was upscaled, that's why it looked THAT bad compared to the others... *fixed*

This sucks, the reason I liked TXR so much was because it wasn't all about show cars and neons and NAWZ and sound systems. Now it just turned into a Need For Speed wannabe. I'm dissapointed, I was waiting for the next TXR and I get this? And I can't even play it on a PS2 either.

code_kev
..or games.
Oh well that is what you think. I think differently. They are maybe not always that good from a western perspective, but I really enoyed about a dozen racing games from Genki. Most of them are imo actually better than most western racing games. Do you even have imported Genki games? Kaido Battle 3, C1 racing etc? If not, then don't judge. What you get in USA/Europe is like 40% and you get it up to 2 years later.

PERFECT BALANCE
This sucks, the reason I liked TXR so much was because it wasn't all about show cars and neons and NAWZ and sound systems. Now it just turned into a Need For Speed wannabe. I'm dissapointed, I was waiting for the next TXR and I get this? And I can't even play it on a PS2 either.
I don't think that it will be that bad. Neon is just an option. TXR reflects the Japanese underground highway racing scene.In reality some have neon, some have huge sound systems. But I don't think that it is more than an option. The rest is still the same great game : Hundrets of rivals, many cars and even more tuning parts... Don't give this one up, I am sure it will be a lot of fun...

Thanks Mac_DC :)

Gotta be luvin the gauges in the rx lol.Hope you can get incar veiw although it is highly unlikely.

godzilla_GTR
Thanks Mac_DC :)

Gotta be luvin the gauges in the rx lol.Hope you can get incar veiw although it is highly unlikely.

Well I don't think that it is that unlikely tbh. Why not ? Look at Racing Battle C1 Grand Prix which was released last year. It had some kind of semitransparent cockpit, so this would be a logical step. I'd say 75% cockpit !

tha_con and code_kev are both right, but I keep on buying Genki games anyway...I don't really know why, but there's just something buried somewhere under all of the mediocrity that appeals to me. :lol:

It looks like Shutokou Battle 10 has a lot more highway/road to play with. Should be fun...if a friend of mine decides to buy a 360 and this game, that is. :indiff:

^Why don't you?Just get a second hand one that ''supposedly'' wont read discs and by a dvd lens cleaner for a few bucks and your al sweet.Thats how i got my Ps2 for $100 when they were still $750 lol :D

878_0009.jpg

878_0008.jpg

The flags look like a worldwide release to me, yeah :cool:
CAN'T WAIT:drool:
IMO that will be a better game experience than PGR3 and TDU combined...

Back