Importing 3D vehicles from GT4\GT3

• Thread starter ferrari gt
  • 154 comments
They also did a great work by using alpha layers technology.
They have worked a lot on transparent part system.

Just as example,I was ripping Lancia,and it has some blue sponsorship logos on the door(see the picture)
and the actual texture of it was nothing more than mono-blue square.
I literally have no idea how it works,because photoshop can detect only 1 colour on the texture of the sponsorship.
And i have a lot of examples like theese.

*You can test your knowlege of Gran Turismo! try to guess the cars!*

But take a look at this,this is what they can do by using the alpha-layer tecnology!
It's awesome,I'd never say that this car has only 4000 polygons!
Just take a look at Nissan GT-R I remastered from the game!👍
*click on pictures to get bigger resolution*

Just as example,I was ripping Lancia,and it has some blue sponsorship logos on the door(see the picture)
I literally have no idea how it works,because photoshop can detect only 1 colour on the texture of the sponsorship.

But take a look at this,this is what they can do by using the alpha-layer tecnology!

Nice pictures! This Skyline looks a semi-premium car now! :D

Yes, it really is incredible work! When I suggested this in the past, I was told there was no way PD weren't just using "full-coverage" textures, like in your typical PC game. Yet it was clear that there were separate texture elements used in a "modular" way, in order to achieve non-uniform texel density (for example the logos being higher res than the "body shading") and so maximise the detail they could extract from their texel (memory) limit.

I'm very impressed at the lengths you've gone to to get this working, too!

Regarding the transparency, if you can locate the alpha maps in the textures (they must be in there somewhere because the game uses them), perhaps those solid-colour textures will make sense. Bear in mind that whilst "alpha" has become somewhat standardised (e.g. 8bit greyscale, i.e. in "RGBA"), in fact it could easily be a simple 1-bit mask: 1 bit is either 0 or 1, yes or no, show this texture or what's already on the car.

Knowing how PD use non-standard techniques elsewhere, and as we can now clearly see with the cars, it's possible PD use one of the bits of the colour texture to define the alpha map. However, that would result in the colour information coming out wrong if you don't account for that "missing" bit, e.g. either excess posterisation (banding) or gross shifts in brightness in the shape of the map, depending on where the alpha bit is. Those intial grabs of the GT by Citroen textures have some serious posterisation...

Additionally, taking one bit for masking reduces the number of colours by half. This means you don't get so many "shades of grey", so you have to rely on dithering to get smoother-looking gradients. There's plenty of dithering in the PS2-era textures, too.

Another technique is to define a transparent colour, although that is usually used in fixed-pallette (low colour count) formats such as GIF. However, it is common practice when authoring textureswith transparency, regardless of the eventual format, to use a "background colour" so the artist knows what will be displayed and what won't. So the fact that the backgrounds of the logo textures is one solid colour in some cases doesn't necessarily mean they're using a pallette-based transparency effect. Also, it's clear in some cases that the logos are included in the base textures (like the Minolta above), and it's obvious that a transparent colour in that specific case would not work: you'd get holes in the bodywork!

My money's on a relatively obscure colour format, e.g. 5:5:5:1. :D

hello!!!
I saw this image created by you for the XenTax forums ..

sdfgfbv.PNG

is a model that comes from GT6?

Yes, it really is incredible work! When I suggested this in the past, I was told there was no way PD weren't just using "full-coverage" textures, like in your typical PC game. Yet it was clear that there were separate texture elements used in a "modular" way, in order to achieve non-uniform texel density (for example the logos being higher res than the "body shading") and so maximise the detail they could extract from their texel (memory) limit.

I'm very impressed at the lengths you've gone to to get this working, too!

Regarding the transparency, if you can locate the alpha maps in the textures (they must be in there somewhere because the game uses them), perhaps those solid-colour textures will make sense. Bear in mind that whilst "alpha" has become somewhat standardised (e.g. 8bit greyscale, i.e. in "RGBA"), in fact it could easily be a simple 1-bit mask: 1 bit is either 0 or 1, yes or no, show this texture or what's already on the car.

Knowing how PD use non-standard techniques elsewhere, and as we can now clearly see with the cars, it's possible PD use one of the bits of the colour texture to define the alpha map. However, that would result in the colour information coming out wrong if you don't account for that "missing" bit, e.g. either excess posterisation (banding) or gross shifts in brightness in the shape of the map, depending on where the alpha bit is. Those intial grabs of the GT by Citroen textures have some serious posterisation...

Additionally, taking one bit for masking reduces the number of colours by half. This means you don't get so many "shades of grey", so you have to rely on dithering to get smoother-looking gradients. There's plenty of dithering in the PS2-era textures, too.

Another technique is to define a transparent colour, although that is usually used in fixed-pallette (low colour count) formats such as GIF. However, it is common practice when authoring textureswith transparency, regardless of the eventual format, to use a "background colour" so the artist knows what will be displayed and what won't. So the fact that the backgrounds of the logo textures is one solid colour in some cases doesn't necessarily mean they're using a pallette-based transparency effect. Also, it's clear in some cases that the logos are included in the base textures (like the Minolta above), and it's obvious that a transparent colour in that specific case would not work: you'd get holes in the bodywork!

My money's on a relatively obscure colour format, e.g. 5:5:5:1. :D

Do you suppose that this may be why livery adjustment options aren't happening on the PS3? There's just not enough memory for the textures?

Do you suppose that this may be why livery adjustment options aren't happening on the PS3? There's just not enough memory for the textures?
Not the way people are used to doing it on PC, no. The way that Forza creates its liveries and saves and shares them would work, but obviously that game (well, up to FM4 certainly) flattens all that detail onto a full-coverage template, just like PC sims, when you're on-track.

The trick is finding a way to procedurally simplify the liveries whilst not using too much RAM. Since the cars that will be used on PS4 are modeled the same way, they'll probably work on that simplification (with a substantial hike in the RAM available), rather than create two sets of textures per car, with separate UV mapping etc.

hello!!!
I saw this image created by you for the XenTax forums ..

View attachment 248987

is a model that comes from GT6?
Yes It is :)
I'm working hard on gt6 with some other guys.
So far we can import "shadow" meshes, which are used by the game to produce shadows. (On the picture you can see one)
And clouds of verticles from the highest lods.
I"ll post pictures in an hour-two...

Yes It is :)
I'm working hard on gt6 with some other guys.
So far we can import "shadow" meshes, which are used by the game to produce shadows. (On the picture you can see one)
And clouds of verticles from the highest lods.
I"ll post pictures in an hour-two...

keep it up guys!!!
awesome job....!!

What about GT6 (as i promised to post some shots here) we can import meshes which are used to produce shadows and high LOD verticles.

(I mean we can't get photomode\HQ cars at the moment,only verticles)
But it's not finished and has bugs.
For example we can't get proportions\scales of verticles and cars.
(But for sure,they are much,much,muuuuch more detailed than Forza 5\horizon 2 cars)

Also,we are able to get track meshes.
We can't get UV at the moment and car\track textures,but we already extracted all other game textures(like car mini-images,GUI and other)

We are also searching for a solution with DLC

[URL=http://www.imagebam.com/image/afd2d1361991490]
[/URL]

Well done! I see there are non-standard colour spaces in use... ;)

Now, the only thing left is to figure out how they get the colour schemes to work:
139.jpg

gt4_mazda_rx_7_lm_race_car_by_lubeify200-d5irk4o.jpg

high_s46.jpg

p22.jpg

RX7Red.jpg

385.jpg

:D

Great work, again. Good luck with the PS3 assets.
Nothing to figure out here, they are just textures with different colours:)
It's very easy to make them work :)
Right now, I'm working on with auto union v16 from GT6 (because it's easier than gt4) and mabye we will have results soon ;)

I finally hacked their incredeble alpha layer system!
Now,any texture can be restored!
Bedore it,some of them were just pictures filled with one colour.(picture 8 as example)

Just some pics from this research...

Nice! This Mazda is semi-premium now!

Can you do it with another GT4 cars, too?

Just curious. Is there a way to import the FPV Falcon GT from GT4 & GTPSP to GT6?
The hardest part would be converting the "materials" and other special identifiers in the models, to display properly in GT6 (think Auto Union pre-patch), by the sounds of things. Basically you'd be partly redoing the artists' work.

It'd also most likely have to replace another car in GT6, if memory serves. It depends on whether the directory structure / file tables can be modified, which is possible in theory, but I doubt anyone would put the effort in and then also share it, yet.

The hardest part would be converting the "materials" and other special identifiers in the models, to display properly in GT6 (think Auto Union pre-patch), by the sounds of things. Basically you'd be partly redoing the artists' work.

It'd also most likely have to replace another car in GT6, if memory serves. It depends on whether the directory structure / file tables can be modified, which is possible in theory, but I doubt anyone would put the effort in and then also share it, yet.

Geez... PD, mannnnnn.

Geez... PD, mannnnnn.
Nature of the beast. PD engineer their own tools to complement their workflow, and they have not only code to show them what does what, but also the original human language brief to work from. They can talk to each other, too.

The best guys on the modding scene are reverse engineering machine code to work out what function calls do, then trying to figure out what the data should be... Then any conversion PD would have a tool for has to be done manually on a case by case basis, or a similar tool made without knowing data limits and interactions in the full code base.

But it is possible that an automated conversion can be worked out for an individual car, preferably without replacing data you don't understand. A general converter is a lot more work.

With cars missing from the game, I think it is usually a licensing thing, not technical. I miss my beloved Ginetta G4...

Makes me wonder, with Codemasters using the Falcon and Commodore as "SuperTourers" in Grid Autosport and T10 using Falcon and Commodore V8SCs, why PD decided to not include these race cars if the road licensing could not be used.

Just out of the top of my head, but can this models be used on rFactor ? Because I'm sure a Formula GT Mod or a Super GT vs DTM mod would be pretty cool and I think they would be a massive hit on the online racing community. Or even convert some tracks. Do you Imagine making a Multiclass endurance race with the WEC grid on Tokyo Route 246 ?

Last edited:
I've managed to convert a car from Gran Turismo PSP with your method to Re-Volt, so yeah... thanks.

CbLxjK0.png

My only issue is of course, the lack of Astons... but perhaps I could look into GT3 and GT4 soon.

Speaking of which, are the models more detailed in GT3/GT4 than in GTPSP? If that's the case, I probably won't be interested as Re-Volt doesn't really deal with high-poly cars too well. Cars from GTPSP cars (in terms of polycount, around 2000 polies) are pretty much the highest you can go before the game engine starts to struggle.

Speaking of which, are the models more detailed in GT3/GT4 than in GTPSP? If that's the case, I probably won't be interested as Re-Volt doesn't really deal with high-poly cars too well. Cars from GTPSP cars (in terms of polycount, around 2000 polies) are pretty much the highest you can go before the game engine starts to struggle.

GT3 is 2000-4000 polies, GT4 is 2000-5000 polies. :)

At this time, I an visioning a game with every standard cars and PS2-level tracks (including Cathedral Rocks Trail III) - basically "what if GT HD Classic was never cancelled, but without the microtransactions part?"

Actually,now,any GTPSP vehicles can be imported without issues and "big hard" fixes

All the wierd textures are basically just need "clamp" type of texturing.
(I can explain if you're interested)

Testing Corvette C5R (wow,my favorite corvette in GT series!)

and FINISHED Chaparral 2D Race Car

By the way,those pictures were taken in my game,it will soon be released(couple of days) on GTPlanet,don't miss it and follow updates on my page :)
(Theese cars are not going to be there....I think...but we can probably make something like GT Memories for PC :D )

Last edited:
It would be really awesome to see these retextured for assetto corsa, its a really good base platform to start from, even if they were standards lol

Latest Posts

Back