Impressions about Horizon

• Thread starter Ryan81
  • 79 comments
Overall, I think Horizon is a very good game- I particularly like the vistas, they are spectacular! Very nice day/night transition. Personally, I still think Forza 4 is the significantly better game because I'm an absolute car addict and while 150+ cars is a lot for a sandbox game like Horizon, it's not 650+

Again, the disappointments for me lie with the size of the map- 63 sq miles is just too small, considering all the hype surrounding Horizon months prior to its release. The car list is reasonable but again, most of the new cars they added are simply different variations of existing cars e.g. DS3 Racing or Reventon Roadster. The October DLC is ok but why do we need another Apollo or an 8C Spider? The Bel Air was DLC in Forza 4- a bit crappy that they included it as DLC here too......
Hopefully, from now on they truly give us some unique cars like the F12berlinetta or CTR3.

I love Forza Horizon. The car list is good. Races are fun. And the map is fun to explore. Sure it is only 63 sq. miles but I don't care. Songs in Horizon are excellent. Songs like Rock n Roll Queen, Yeah Yeah, R U Mine etc are perfect for this game. Now I just need the DLC and the Expansion Pack

I'm quite impressed with the size and variation of the map.
Feels like a real living world to me.

I understand some are driving all roads in 2 hours. I'm not sure if that's possible but I get the feeling their breaking the speed limit lol.

If someone wanted to drive all roads at the applicable speed limits I'm sure it would take an absolute age. (Someone will do it, it's the Internet after all lol).

Only aspect I'm suspect about is lifespan. I was aware of this prior to purchase so I'm not surprised. Forza 4 is tough to top in replayability value.

I did try out online last night. I went into the beginners lounge.
It set me to automatic gears? Not sure what that was about, can I have manual in the beginners lounge?

I did manage to get to the front in a point to point race. I race with the driving line off.
Unfortunately I took a wrong turn and the guys immediately behind me followed lol.
The players with the driving line on went the right way.

Hmm looks like when I'm online I need the driving line on.

I don't get all this whining about the map size, I would take horizons map over both TDU maps any day of the week. It's not all about size, I got bored of TDU within about an hour. I can't get enough of horizon

my biggest gripe with FH is how long it takes to remove all the photos from my storefront to clear some slots up. And that's saying something, isn't it?

Really, so far, I'm quite impressed and am enjoying the game a lot. The racing isn't as good as it is in FM4 (which is hardly suprising) and the car list pales in comparison. Physics are also a bit, dunno, more arcade-friendly, as they're a bit more grippy and collisions are dumbed down. However, I'd still say that Horizon is one of the best car-centered games I've played. It's right up there with FM4, in my opinion. For slightly different reasons, maybe. But, it was probably never ment to inherit the exact same strenghts of FM4.

The map isn't huge, but it's incredibly diverse, detailed, and fun to explore. Thanks to the discount signs, street races, the pread out events, the outpost PR stunts and barn finds, you're actually zooming around quite a bit. The game basically lends you a hand and gives you some reasons to explore it, but even without that, the deversity and, frankly, beauty of the world will be a reason in and off themselves. The game's setting is increadibly scenic and sometimes, downright astonishingly beautiful - which leads me back to my biggest gripe. I'm taking so many photos, I've got to clear my storefront like twice a day.

The actual racing isn't bad, mind you. The game's not centered around it as much as FM4, obviously, but it's still great fun, as are the rivals events and the speed traps. The point to point races and dirt tracks help massively in that regard, in my opinion.

Some things are neutral, for me. The car list, for example. It's not as vast as FM4's, but it's still the largest one found in a game like FH. Same with the story. It might be a bit brotastic and cheesy, but it gets the job done and works well enough to give you an excuse to race in Colorado. The skill system seems to be just there, really... It's okay for the few PR stunts, but I really never cered about it outside of those.

The negative stuff... Well, there isn't much. The rumble on the controller could be more pronounced and I'd like the engine sounds to be louder/have their own volume slider. The store front is an atrocious way of handling the exporting of photos and I would've preffered it had PG used FM4's mechanical damage model within the races themselves (not while driving around).

In the grand scheme of things, the negative points seem very minor. The game is great fun, very enjoyable and I'm certainly looking forward to the expansion pack, hopefully, Forza Horizon 2. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that FH is as good at being what it's supposed to be as FM4 is. If not better. And that's not an easy feat.

The car list is my only major gripe. Not enough cult classics and too many obvious choices. As good as cars like the latest M5 and M6 are, they aren't anywhere near as well regarded as the previous models or as characterful.

The only thing I miss from 4 is setups, the cars don't handle like I want them too, seems like Dak dials a lot of under steer in :lol:

I think the fact that we can't mess about with gear ratios will mean the speed traps will start to clog up until we get a faster car as DLC, but what's faster than an ultimate aero, CCX-R or Super Sport?

I personally wouldn't have minded slightly fewer cars if that meant a larger map. If it was around the same size as Ibiza I'd be extremely happy. It just seems to be too small for an open world racing game, particularly when compared to TDU.
Despite TDU's flaws, I still prefer it to Horizon because there's so much more to do and explore e.g. taking photographs to earn cash, finding wrecks, houses, hairdressers and far more roads, not to mention weather effects too.

VXR
The car list is my only major gripe. Not enough cult classics and too many obvious choices. As good as cars like the latest M5 and M6 are, they aren't anywhere near as well regarded as the previous models or as characterful.
Thinking about it, it must be tough to convince car companies to only license models from their past, considering they don't make much money on those anymore. :lol:

There are almost always little clumps of underwhelming, brand-new cars in racing games. Like other advertising, all we can do is ignore them.

VXR

Too many what I would call 'redundancies' too e.g. two R8 GTs, two 8Cs, two Apollos etc. I mean, why did they add the FXX Evoluzione to DLC? With 50hp more, is it really worth it? I thought Forza 4's DLC was absolutely superb, even the very first one. I just hope the DLC improves next month.

I really enjoyed the game, but I could sum up a review with just two words "Too Little".

Too few cars, too small map, and too few events.

In fact, I'd rank it as the shortest racing game of this generation. I've never 100%'ed a game so quickly before.

Hopefully they can fix all these with the next game (Which will probably be on the next xbox).

I really enjoyed the game, but I could sum up a review with just two words "Too Little".

That sounds like a ringing endorsement to me! If the only thing the game left you was begging for more, I'd say they did a pretty good job!

Still waiting for my copy... GRRRRRR.

Finished Horizon 100% a few days ago, and to be honest, I haven't played it since. It's a great game, but far too lacking in content; it was an enjoyable journey to completion though.
But really, cruising around isn't just gonna do it for me; I need more events. Maybe the Rally Expansion will bring me back, for a while... I just think Horizon's longevity is extraordinarily short; it was a nice distraction from the Motorsports franchise, but alas, that is where I'll be for now.

Finished Horizon 100% a few days ago, and to be honest, I haven't played it since. It's a great game, but far too lacking in content; it was an enjoyable journey to completion though.
But really, cruising around isn't just gonna do it for me; I need more events. Maybe the Rally Expansion will bring me back, for a while... I just think Horizon's longevity is extraordinarily short; it was a nice distraction from the Motorsports franchise, but alas, that is where I'll be for now.

Dud you also have the AI set to insane?
I'm struggling here and I'm no slouch.

This kids have crazy skills.

Can't believe how quickly people are beating this game. I've been staying up late almost every night playing it and I JUST got my pink wrist band. Good thing I've been alternating between career mode and online or I would probably have beaten the game by now too.

Yeah its weird that people have done it so fast.. Do you guys even take the time to enjoy the game? I've got a total of about 20 hours driving time and I'm barely just picked up my orange wristband.

I also have plenty of hours in photomode, as well as online.. The game is not short, its just that people can power through a game, and claim its short, just because they did exactly that.. power through it without taking the time to enjoy it.

Yeah, this game is so much more fun if you take your time IMHO. I can see myself cruising and taking photos on this for many months to come, especially if the DLC is decent.

Well al my AI are at insane and it is insane.
I like to jump in a ride and challenge random AI.
See where it takes me and hit discounts on my travels.

The woman keeps asking if I'm still alive.

Yes, all played insane, except for that damn Mini Showcase - jeez that pissed me off. Race to race; the game really leaves you wanting for more. I will be getting the Rally Expansion, but that probably will be two afternoons worth of playtime.
But I swear, once all the events are finished, that's it. I mean, maybe the small amount of content was due to this being a "risky" game, so to speak, but with it's success; I expect Horizon 2014 to be jam packed.

The only time I ever zip through a game, is if I'm renting it... If I'm paying full price I'm taking my time & enjoy just about everything about it.

Yes, all played insane, except for that damn Mini Showcase - jeez that pissed me off. Race to race; the game really leaves you wanting for more. I will be getting the Rally Expansion, but that probably will be two afternoons worth of playtime.
But I swear, once all the events are finished, that's it. I mean, maybe the small amount of content was due to this being a "risky" game, so to speak, but with it's success; I expect Horizon 2014 to be jam packed.

You must be quick mate.
I can't seem to win the damn recaro mini off road.
Annoyingly when they offer to de tune my car for the event I don't want it. I have my own b class tune. Why not let me put my tune on?
I have to go to Dax, select my tune then go back.

Okay, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the people who are finding themselves burnt out after finishing the races and getting 100% are merely RACERS, who are better off sticking to the Motorsport series. Not that you can't enjoy Horizon ("a nice distraction" as AuraWolfe said), but this game wasn't exactly made for you.

This is a game for drivers. Yeah, there are races to enter, but they're not the point. The other objectives hint at what you're expected to do: take a break from racing and just drive once in a while. If you don't think that's fun, so be it.

I personally wouldn't have minded slightly fewer cars if that meant a larger map. If it was around the same size as Ibiza I'd be extremely happy. It just seems to be too small for an open world racing game, particularly when compared to TDU.
Despite TDU's flaws, I still prefer it to Horizon because there's so much more to do and explore e.g. taking photographs to earn cash, finding wrecks, houses, hairdressers and far more roads, not to mention weather effects too.
My thoughts exactly.

Even if TDU didn't exactly invent hot water, Horizon is basically a highly streamlined version of TDU (with PGR physics, top grade IQ and rock-solid 30fps) which lost a lot of "heart" in the process.

Playing Horizon makes me want to play TDU2 again.

Driving IS what I do, and what a great soundtrack; when in a rather aggressive mood, The Black Keys really gets the adreneline pumping - when late at night and just enjoying the scenery, Take A Walk of the Horizon Pulse is what I need.
I mean, every now and again, I play FM4 to just enjoy the vehicles in arcade free run. Horizon, that golf course with a Charger R/T or Raptor just puts a huge, stupid grin on my face; racking up "Over 9000" x5.0 combos for literally hours XD. But for cruising to be replayable, there really does need to be more roads and vehicles. I mean each section of the map is so diverse; a CCXR down thw freeway, a classic Daytona Coupe down about the South-Eastern roads - they need to be expanded. And to be honest, the most immersive bits are way away from the Festival. Driving a D-Type through it feels so out of place.
If the map expanded each bit of environment, featured other atmospheres apart from the Brotastic festival, hell, that would be hands down fantastic.
But I'm happy with Horizon; I understand it was a risk take of a game to make, but it came out great. I can only imagine that with all the positive praise they got for thd game, 2014 wkll be driving heaven!

HBK
My thoughts exactly.

Even if TDU didn't exactly invent hot water, Horizon is basically a highly streamlined version of TDU (with PGR physics, top grade IQ and rock-solid 30fps) which lost a lot of "heart" in the process.

Playing Horizon makes me want to play TDU2 again.

PGR physics? Have you played PGR before?

Yep. All of them. A lot. PGR always had pretty good physics (they pretty much remained the same since MSR, actually). They are just a tad bit on the "easy" side with lots and lots of grip. It's fairly obvious that even if they included parts of Forza 4 physics in Horizon, the overall feeling is very close to that of PGR (on a pad, didn't play PGR with a wheel).

Actually, it's fairly obvious they reproduced the "physics" of PGR as well as the Kudos system (both work very well together) in Forza Horizon. And that's a good thing, one of the things Horizon does very well.

1. I like being able to drive the car I want from race to race and not being always stuck in certain cars that I need to use for a certain race. I get to drive my ZR1 in the process of completing this game way more than I ever could in FM4.

2. Love the fact that there is a rivals feature for every event in the game. I always attack my club members after each race. :lol:

3. By far the best physics on an open world game that I have ever experienced.

4. All around diversity. Dirt, pavement, cobble stone, etc. Day, dusk, dawn, night. There are also many different types of scenery. Highways, city streets, mountain roads, dirt roads.

Dislikes

1. The storyline could be allot better.

2. Multiplayer needs more options. Disabling GPS is one that has been pointed out in my club that would be a good one.

3. Lack of tire smoke when doing burnouts.

4. Replay cameras need to be better.

5. This type of game begs for weather such as rain, snow, and even heavy winds where debris are blowing across the street.

Back