Impressions about Horizon

Discussion in 'Forza Horizon 1' started by Ryan81, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Speedster911

Speedster911

Harh harh...nice!

Yes, I did notice how your competitor's cars sound louder and more distinct this time, and your own car's engine sound is a bit dulled down. I believe this may have been done deliberately on the devs part, given the game's environment and setting.

Haha...yeh? I think I'm getting this. Plus.. 60 fps..woo hooo!

2. UKMikey

UKMikey Premium

I think you've nailed it. I was expecting a Ridge Racer style credits movie in which Alice gets into your car and you drive off into the Colorado sunset or something.

3. Speedster911

Speedster911

Dayumm, he doesn't even get Alice in the game.

Terrible game! Bad PG, BAD PG! :tdown:

4. IceMan PJN

IceMan PJN

I hope I never play a racing game with a story.

mister dog likes this.
  5. SuperShouden

SuperShouden (Banned)

There wasn't much of a story really. But...it was worse than the original Pro Race Driver's or R Racing Revolution. ALL the drivers were SUPER cliche. So much so, you kinda knew that Darius was going to be an arrogant douche. 'Cause...they all were kinda jerks. And I say, if you're not going to come up with something better than that, then don't do it at all. Heck, Test Drive Unlimited has a better story and the only thing that involves is the first 10 minutes of the game.

Also, if you're going to have someone randomly talking to the player, at least make her up to date. DAYS after I've found smashed all the discount signs, she's still telling me to look out for them. Look, you stupid lady, you just need to shut up, already. Let me cruise in peace. And on that, I have to say, Test Drive Unlimited 2 is the better Open World Driving Game. Simply because there's not a stupid lady bugging you every twenty minutes about stuff you've already taken care of twenty years ago.

But it's still a fun game. I probably will pick it up at least once a month to drive the new cars, but...that's about it, though.

6. CyanideCola

CyanideCola

Apparently you missed Tess... how? She never shuts up in my version of TDU2. And it dried up after a bit, mainly because there is very little in car choices, the original TDU had many more. And unlike the original, TDU2 had car licenses and other things I felt were somewhat unfitting for an Open World Driving Game. And you can ignore the Horizon girl, Alice, pretty well. Although, I love her voice. It's quite warming. And not brute and evil.

7. Master Weasel

Master Weasel Premium

I really don't think the characters were that bad. I saw them as light-hearted comedy releif to keep things entertaining when I wasn't racing. And personally, I don't care about having a good story in a racing game. Just tell me I need to become the best driver, and I'm good to go. The main reason I play racing games is to well, race.

8. Dmarc_Atl

Dmarc_Atl (Banned)

Yea that dub step gets annoying after awhile.I was quite surprised to hear some of the songs on horizon pulse, I have alot of them on my youtube playlist...and even weirder some played in the same order which creeped me out lol

At first I thought there would be more to the story,but after the 3rd wristband and the same cut scene and the showdowns I already knew that it wasnt going to be a "the guy gets the girl at the end " type of story.But its better than no story.I rented it but I will be buying it soon.I didnt think it would be that fun without the online aspect.

9. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

I simply listen to the opening of a song and then flip to another station before the "drop" comes up. Electronic music is my favorite, it's the super-repetitive wobbling fart storm that defines dubstep that I can't stand. :lol:

Of course, 98% of the time I just listen to my nu gaze and post-rock on USB.
    Online carries more weight once you've completed the festival championship, but IMO this game has so much more to offer than Forza Motorsport in terms of offline play. I keep a tally of my in-game "odometer" in my sig for the fun of it, and the majority of those miles were offline. :)

10. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

First thing I did was to turn off the radio sound, can't stand music while driving in games.

11. UrieHusky

UrieHusky Premium

Really? I quite like the music personally. Although I'm one of those dirty student types that listen to the dub steps :lol:

I'll always go out of my way to listen to music while driving, keeps me from focusing too much.

The thing that irritates me is the protagonist's lady friend that constantly complains over the slightest little thing.

"Oh you haven't done this event, you must have something better to do"
    "Oh you have some money, why not buy something at the autoshow? you deserve a new car" (This happened to me immediately after buying a brand new car)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    Barracuda413 likes this.
  12. Wolfe

Wolfe Premium

They did a pretty good job with ambient noises in the game, sometimes it's worth it just to drive around with no music. High points for me would be the insectoid and amphibian chirping on highway 29 near the diner and arcade, and the rustle of early-autumn leaves blown from the road as you drive through.

FYI, Scaff, you can mute the radio in the paintshop/garage by playing music through the Xbox if you have any on USB or your HDD, then turning the volume to zero.

Alice Hart is her name. For a game predicated on the joy of driving aimlessly on the open road, it does seize a lot of opportunities to tell you to do something else.

EDIT: It seems that from downloading a recent update or the 1000 Club, her comments on your money/the autoshow have been disabled. :tup: :tup:

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  13. Lain

Lain Premium

I also just got my orange wrist band... in the middle of 2016. :p

I mean, I certainly haven't been playing it all this time. But every time I fire the game up, I have a tendency to get absorbed in just driving around the gorgeously realized open world and completely forget that there's actual races to complete.

My dream game is a 100% 1:1 Earth open world driving/photography/car ownership simulator. Key distinction there being "driving", not "racing"...though with it being a completely accurate representation of all the asphalt on the planet, you'd presubably also be able to drive to any given track and partake in some racing. But it'd be more of a side thing than the main focus of the game. You'd also be able to get out of your vehicle and hike to find interesting photo ops, buy different kinds of cameras, lenses, filters etc.

Currently, I'd say that the Horizon series is by far the closest game to my vision in that regard. It doesn't have the photography aspect, but the lush detailed maps and the advanced physics (for an open world game, at least) make it the best game to just go for a drive in.

Barracuda413, VXR, SlipZtrEm and 2 others like this.
  14. bremics

bremics

Just downloaded it in my quest to continue grinding out Forza Points (apparently Miles Driven only goes up by racing, not roaming) and damn does it still look fantastic! I was literally just playing FH3 and there doesn't appear to be a overly huge difference. What a difference a good lighting engine makes.

15. JR98

JR98 Premium

Started playing this again yesterday and have managed to go from the orange to gold events in just 1 day. IMO this is much better than FH3 since the lack of pure off-roading here meant PG had to create some fun driving roads, which they did. Most of the race routes are loads of fun to race on. Also, holy crap do the Street Races pay out a lot. Earned at least 2 million doing them, and I've only done each race once.

Also it's nice to see some forgotten FM4 cars in here like the Corvette C6 GS, Maserati MC12 Corse and RUF RGT-8, among many others.

Some screenshots I've taken
    upload_2017-9-19_12-51-46.png
    upload_2017-9-19_12-51-53.png
    upload_2017-9-19_12-51-59.png
    upload_2017-9-19_12-52-4.png
    upload_2017-9-19_12-52-9.png
    upload_2017-9-19_12-52-14.png
    upload_2017-9-19_12-52-18.png
    upload_2017-9-19_12-52-26.png
    upload_2017-9-19_12-52-31.png
    upload_2017-9-19_12-52-36.png
    upload_2017-9-19_12-52-40.png

adam thompson, Wolfe and FT-1 like this.
  16. FT-1

FT-1

I actually find the original Forza Horizon more memorable than its successors in a number of aspects - The story, the soundtrack and the map to name a few. I would like to head back to Colorado once I've purchased an Xbox One X.

Silver Arrows, Wolfe and JR98 like this.
  17. Silver Arrows

Silver Arrows

Going to have to agree. Nothing to me really beats driving around Colorado in a 22B STi when Blue Monday comes on.

adam thompson and FT-1 like this.
  18. adam thompson

adam thompson

I agree Forza Horizon one holds a place in my heart and loved it. Also it works on Xbox one s yay :) it’s a lot of fun and map is awesome and cars. Also love Horizon 3 as I’m aussie and love Holden’s but horizon one is very special :)

Attached Files:

19. FT-1

FT-1

That day has arrived and I stuck to my word! :D The game may not have been enhanced but it still looks very good on the new system, even if the colour range seems to only consist of various shades of yellow during daytime. If some cases, that's works to its benefit...
    [​IMG]Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 by Code XCIV, on Flickr

What's nice to see is some textures look quite sharp now, particularly on dirt surfaces.
    [​IMG]Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 Dirt by Code XCIV, on Flickr

For a few more One X direct captures, click below.

Free mode at the Autoshow
    [​IMG]Audi TT RS by Code XCIV, on Flickr

Garage
    [​IMG]Nissan Skyline GT-R R34 Garage by Code XCIV, on Flickr

Cockpit View
    [​IMG]Subaru WRX STI by Code XCIV, on Flickr

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    ToyGTone and adam thompson like this.
  20. MXH

MXH Premium

I picked a used XBOX 360 last week and along with it came a copy of FH1 among other games.

This has been my first time ever playing the game. I'm actually rather and pleasantly surprised how much I'm enjoying it coming from FH3. While the map is smaller, I'm in love with PG's Colorado. I'd go as far as to say that I prefer it over FH3's Australia any day. The game looks excellent on my 55'' LED TV as well. Anyway, I'll be playing this game for a long time to come.

Sometimes I wish I would've opted for X360 as my main console the previous gen.