improve engine sounds

• Thread starter Mercury7
  • 164 comments
Driveclub sounds great, just got to disagree with you there, however the tire screeching is very generic and repetitive.
I have not really found the tire screeching that generic really. Listen to the tire 'screeching' towards the end of this new trailer for part 3 that I made. I thought it was reasonably good.

Last edited:
I didn't think driveclub sounded very good. Yes it was good quality sound, but there was no character in the cars.

I think the cars have a lot of character actually and so do the sounds. Here is the 'movie' that followed that trailer (part II). Just listen to all those different sounds. It's the best I've heard at least.

I guess I've been listening to videos of pcars and I've grown used to snaps and pops... as long as we don't have to go back to the sounds of gran turismo

I have not really found the tire screeching that generic really. Listen to the tire 'screeching' towards th end of this new trailer for part 3 that I made. I thought it was reasonably good.

They all sound practically identical though. Same screeching sound for almost all cars, maybe even all cars if I recall but I'd have to give it a listen again later.

They all sound practically identical though. Same screeching sound for almost all cars, maybe even all cars if I recall but I'd have to give it a listen again later.

If you mean each car tire's tire screeching sounds the same then possibly yes. But I find there are variations in the squeal as per the Mazzanti trailer I posted above.

I very love to play on cockpit view (not bumper view) since GT5, that's very awesome. but it will be great if polyphony improve a quality of sound in cockpit view. Especially the full race machine, it's just not only have the engine sound. I mean the mechanic sound (pulley spin, chancing gear mechanic, disk brake rubbing, wind, Etc.) that everyone could hear from onboard view in race car in youtube. That sound will be make more realistic feeling in cockpit view.

In Ps4 you have the hardware ability to use audioFX (GPU processed sound) in games. With this technology you can for example record the base sounds directly in the engie bay and use the AudioFX in the PS4 GPU to calculate how this would sound inside the car with the current setup of carparts. A racemodded car should have less soundprofing and therefor sound alot louder. This AudioFX is already in use in games like Killzone: Shadowfall and Battlefield 4.

I was going to speculate as to how they could go wrong with so many engine sounds, like guessing that they didn't check the audio until they got back to the studio, then realized it was garbage and un useable so they had to improvise...but thats just speculation. Instead I'll just ramble based on my experience in sound design and audio production.

First they should identify where things go wrong during the recording process, or where things go wrong in the sampling / manipulation process. The sounds guys need to go back to the drawing board on this issue.

Perhaps they should take a page from the Need for Speed series approach to audio, in which they record an entire RPM range of a car (under full load), then half throttle through the rpm's, then light, and then mix between the layers on the fly depending on how much you apply the throttle. I'd volunteer to program this myself. Its NOT a hard concept to put in action. They just need to get over the fact that they CANNOT replicate engines based on synthesis, which sounds like they are trying to do, and failing miserably at it. In other words, they need to use longer audio samples, and rely less on adding synthesis techniques to compensate for their poor recordings / samplings of any given engine.

Most of the cars in the game sound like a generic / muffled mid rpm sample, which is then getting pitch shifted up or down based on the users input, hence the vacume cleaner effect. What they STILL FAIL TO REALIZE is that engines are much more dynamic. They don't simply increase pitch. They scream, roar, sputter, click, bang, choke, vibrate based on surface movement, and their character evolves often through the rpm range, like awakening monsters only at specific RPM's. The sound guys need to be recording every car under different loads, both On and OFF the track, and implement the sounds properly. No shortcuts. No BS. If GT7 doesn't deliver epic engine noises later this year / next year, I'll begin to lose faith in the series.
Responding to my own comment...oh man its a slow week for me. Good to be back here on the forums. Here's a snippet of how the need for "more" has lead me away from the gt series in search of something much more serious / hardcore. I got really sick of hoping to see a trailer for gt7, ANYTHING to reassure me there were great things in the works. By the end of e3 last year, I just said oh well, guess I'll see if there's something else I can play. Hmm, maybe I'll try some PC sims. So I got a decent gaming pc, sold my t500, got a direct drive servo wheel kit... 4000$ later, I look back and ask myself, wtf happened? Lol...yeah. Addicted to sim racing...but, in spite of all the investments that dented my wallet so badly, I can at least say, sim racing has never sounded as good as it does these days...it'll be a really big challenge for gt7 to beat the audio mastering and sampling found in the latest cars in Iracing...for me, the undisputed KING of audio in a racing game is raceroom racing. Simply unbelievable through a 7.1 receiver...

Here's a video I made for some blokes over on the isrtv forums...skip past the jabber and you'll hear the sounds im referring to. They're incredible. I don't know how that sound team did it lol.

This video is one of the few cars in Iracing where they REALLY got the engine sound bang on.

In Ps4 you have the hardware ability to use audioFX (GPU processed sound) in games. With this technology you can for example record the base sounds directly in the engie bay and use the AudioFX in the PS4 GPU to calculate how this would sound inside the car with the current setup of carparts. A racemodded car should have less soundprofing and therefor sound alot louder. This AudioFX is already in use in games like Killzone: Shadowfall and Battlefield 4.
While that sound promising, it won't do a single thing to improve poorly recorded samples. Polish a turd, and its still a turd. I really hope they don't put their eggs in that nest and expect the audio to come out sounding real. 10+ years recording and producing audio for music labels, I promise you that the sound will only be as good as the people who record it and master it. Luckily we got the sound lead guy from the forza series just recently. Big win for gt.

Back